Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:

Theantero posted:

Despite all my pulls, I still have neither of the 000 identities of the Clerical Fash meta :negative:

My third 10-pull on the banner had a 000 in it

It was yi sang

I am convinced the game is loving with me at this point

(N Corp Meursault has also been dodging me for something like 100 pulls at this point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Even Kromer is appalled by NTR.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

L.U.I.G.I posted:

Funnily enough, she's the only character that can be considered fan-service, and even then, it would be a strech considering the context of the game and it's story

the thing about this that i find funny is that people are way hornier for ishmael and faust than they are for rodion, despite rodion being one of the three characters to show cleavage at any point

(before you ask, the other two are ryoshu and hong lu)

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Everyone complaining about MFE (Hard) when I beat it first try makes me think I got really lucky on my run, then- I beat it first try, and didn't take too long to do it, either. It definitely helped that I had basically every Sin Resource EGO gift (Zippo, Coffee and Cranes, the throne, and Child in a Flask)- though I was pretty consistently on the edge where I just barely had enough resources to take care of the clashes on any given turn. I basically just had Faust spam Representation Emitter and Fluid Sac whenever possible to take care of clashes, picked and chose which attacks were ok to take on the chin (getting Rcliff tagged for 8 damage is Fine) and flattened Aida and the G Corp Manager with overwhelming amounts of damage (R Heath, W Don, and Chef Ryo all on the same team will do that) so I could focus all the karma on Guido. From there, it was relatively easy sailing.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

RandomReader posted:

I really doubt the 4th pack is all dead because that would be an unsatisfying resolution to them actually surviving Ruina. "Whoa, how is the 4th pack going to make it out alive if R. Corp wants them dead and the Head will too if both versions live? Oh, they just got murdered months ago in the background."

I think it's possible they just hosed off into the Outskirts and the Head let that go. When the T. Corp technician explains the rules, he says that 2+ of the same person can't exist in the City, which means leaving the City might be viable. The other rule they talk about is that if R. Corp breaks the previous rule, the Head is going to swat down the whole Wing, and from what Dante's Notes says about R. Corp, they're still kicking, so I don't think the Head got involved. On top of that, R. Corp was very clear that they were going to cut off the 4th pack if they hosed up the Library job, and they did, twice. Neither pack can go back to R. Corp, and neither pack can stay in the City while the other lives, which could put them in this almost prisoners dilemma-esque situation of either leaving the city or sticking around and hoping the other pack is no longer living in the City by the deadline, either cause they managed to track down and kill them or they left.

The other fun part: Unless they both appeared in the same place, neither pack would really have any way of knowing that their copies are alive. The second one might be able to put 2 and 2 together and infer that if they're alive, it's possible their clones are as well, and that means they're in real trouble. They might be the ones who just gently caress off into the outskirts for the sake of saving their copies who would have no way of knowing they're in deep poo poo.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

It's John Riccitello, the man who was probably the main reason why EA was super loving evil. You might remember him wanting to charge microtransactions for reloading a gun or saying that devs who don't implement microtransactions are "the biggest loving idiots." He's a man so intensely loathed by Suda51 that the villains of No More Heroes 3 were FU and (Damon) Ricotello.

He is probably the dumbest, greediest man in the industry.

I have to wonder how this guy keeps getting jobs.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Omniphile posted:

Shareholders.

I should start applying for CEO positions. The only thing on my resume will be "I'm a stupid greedy motherfucker who will drive this company into to the ground." The only issue might be deciding which job offer to take.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Uncle Khasim posted:

Uninstalled, might be back in future if this ever resolves itself appropriately, but to be honest I wasn’t looking forward to slogging through RR2 either. What a shitshow.

Honestly? You're not missing out on much. RR2 was a gigantic loving slog that they somehow made both tedious AND stressful! It's honestly kinda impressive. I managed to get the bragging rights tag completely by accident just because I wanted all the rewards, even though I was totally ambushed by the last fight (It might've been the 8 hours of playing limbus company talking but for some reason I didn't wholly understand that the terminus was another fight).

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I'll admit to this Canto hitting me harder than the previous ones- I resonated pretty hard with Yi Sang, but to me a lot of this is about Ishmael learning to cope with the grief and guilt of losing Queequeg and the rest of the Pequod's crew. Her obsession with tracking down and killing Ahab was a way of coping with her loss, blaming Ahab for all of her pain- which, to be fair, Ahab absolutely was the reason everyone there died.

Ishmael didn't have a "what next" for after she killed Ahab (or, what would've been a more realistic expectation, found the Mermaid she'd turned into and turned it into goulash). I can absolutely understand the feeling of just... not having a plan for the future because you don't expect to live that long. Ishmael was just as suicidal as Yi Sang; she just wanted to take someone with her first.

Seeing her 'dead' girlfriend bunkmate again reopened that wound in her heart, but let her heal it right this time, and her final moment of closure with Queequeg just... absolutely got the waterworks going for me.

KazigluBey posted:

That's the one bit of Ahab I didn't really buy: I get the singular, focused obsession - it's the whole character she is. SO, why does she expend a not-insignificant amount of energy and (more to the point) focus on taunting Ishmael about other stuff? You would think with the Heart right there she would be singularly consumed, and the Limbus Krew would be seen at most as being in the way, but there's a lot of "you never listened/never followed orders" and "the theme of this Canto is we are the same Ismael, you're just like me, so killll meeee" which, idk, felt like it muddied the point a bit before slamming right back into the obsession as soon as Ismael refuses to take the bait and killsteals.

I guess it's just Layer Two - below Layer One's I Really Want Whale Dead there's Control-Freak That Takes Insubordination As A Personal Affront but, again, to me it clashes a bit with the whole blind obsession being her whole thing.

For one, those taunts are Ahab's modus operandi, and she absolutely hit home- Ishmael blamed herself for not being able to save everyone, and suffered from intense survivor's guilt. I do think part of her self-destructive obsession was a way for her to atone for her failure, and Ahab immediately hit on all of Ishmael's true motivations and insecurities. That's how she gets you, she worms her way into your doubts and then makes herself the solution to all of your problems (that she caused), thereby making herself indispensable. Near the end, Ishmael was pretty close to just accepting Ahab's abuse, and that's where Ahab turns around, "forgives" her, and then assimilates her back into her crew- Or, alternatively, as other people have said, Ishmael kills her and becomes the next Ahab. Ahab wins either way.

Though, a lot of this just may be projection from me, but I can't help reading all this from how Ishmael acted during the final acts of the Canto.

Secondly, I think the reason Ahab turns on Dante really is just a mix of pride and being a complete control freak. Ahab can't control Dante, because she can't even hear them talk, so she has no way to know how to manipulate them- And the Sinners listen to Dante, not Ahab. If Dante's there, she can't use the Sinners for her own ends, and the idea of that is so infuriating to her that she backfills some ridiculous excuse about Dante being a liability in combat (despite bringing Pip along, who's a literal child) and demands their head - all in spite of the fact that they've already gotten past all of the Whale's defenses and there was no threats left besides the ones in her head.

Because not only can she not control Dante, if she gets the kill with Dante's help, then it wouldn't really be her kill, because she had someone else's help. Her crew doesn't count, obviously, since she sees them as extensions of herself- so, she has to get Dante out of the way first, and take control of the Sinners as well (or just crush them).

Yeah, she made a very stupid decision by attacking Dante. That's the point. Ahab shot herself in the foot out of pride when she could have gotten exactly what she wanted, and got screwed out of the kill because of it.

Also remember that Ahab's not just a foil to Ishmael, she's also a foil to Dante, who's entirely disgusted by her willingness to send her men to their deaths without feeling anything at all. This Canto really shows how far Dante's come as a leader.

VinnyDonuts fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 2, 2023

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

You have to be loving kidding me. This is just getting out of hand now.

Y'know, if your group keeps going around shouting at people over the smallest things and accusing them of insinuating you have a small dick, people might start thinking you actually do have a small dick and you're just really insecure about it.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

PetraCore posted:

And, you know, it's not like there's anything actually wrong with having a small dick, but there's certainly something wrong about being so violently protective of your dick status you try to forbid fictional characters from gripping things using their thumbs.

I can only imagine the in-person conversation equivalent of this whole thing going something like this:

"HEY! HEY, ARE YOU INSULTING MY MICROPENIS?"
"Uh?"
"YOU'RE LAUGHING! YOU'RE LAUGHING AT MY TINY, TINY DICK!"
"What, no I'm not-"
"SEE? YOU SAID I HAVE A LITTLE JOHNSON!"
"I didn't-"
"NOW YOU'RE DENYING THAT YOU SAID I HAVE ONE!"
"What the-"
"APOLOGIZE! APOLOGIZE FOR MAKING FUN OF MY ITTY BITTY BITS RIGHT NOW!"
"Okay? I'm sorry?"
"THAT'S RIGHT. HEH, I'M SO COOL."

Honestly, just incredible energy. I can only envy their lack of self-awareness and utter confidence.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Tremor can also be pretty strong. Regret Faust, Molar Outis, and Rosespanner Rodion make up a core of Tremor units that can basically carry a team on their own, but extra support from LCCB/Molar Ishmael or Molar Yi Sang can really start cranking the numbers on just how fast you can stagger something.

The main issue is that by the time Tremor starts really being a factor you've already won, but the Tremor Girlboss Squad (especially Regret Faust, if you're lucky enough to have her) just poo poo out damage anyway, so you can just winrate through normal encounters and then put your thinking cap on to start staggering bosses early.

I guess Rosespanner Mersault is here too for his Regret EGO which can nuke down a target that's otherwise immune to Tremor Burst (if you're lucky enough to have pulled that from Walpurgisnacht), but I think Rosesalt runs into too many clashing issues to really be that useful.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Having gone through the new MD a few times, I like that it encourages you to try out different teams. That said, Rupture and Burn both sorely need an ID or EGO to tie their whole thing together. Rupture sorely needs its equivalent of Rime Shank because it desperately needs Rupture Count, and Burn needs some equivalent to Tremor Burst or Sinking Deluge to leverage the massive amounts of burn you can inflict.

Rupture can be serviceable, but requires way more effort and luck than i think is really necessary. Both Dimension Shredder EGO can apply Dimensional Rift, as can W Sang, but you're only getting 3-4 count out of that, and only next turn, too, whereas Rime Shank immediately gets you 5/5 sinking (which gets upped to a ridiculous 8/10 for its overclock). There are a few regular skills that can give a decent amount of Rupture count, but in the case of 7 Faust it's only ever before she immediately spends all the count she just applied, in the case of 7cliff the only time he doesn't immediately spend it is with his skill 2, and with LCCB Ish it's only with her skill 3 and you're still only left with 2 count by the end. At the very least, Yi Sang's Dimension Shredder makes all of his attacks rupture-neutral, and Ebony Stem effectively does the same thing for Outis by making her attacks apply rupture count next turn, but Rupture doesn't have anything even remotely equivalent to Sinking that lets them get the snowball rolling. Unfortunately, if you want to run Rupture in a mirror dungeon, Thunderbranch is basically mandatory if you don't want to constantly wind up in situations where you have 13/1 rupture.

Maybe Pmoon figured Rime Shank's UT4 was fine because in human fights it doesn't do direct damage whereas rupture does- but statuses are hardly ever going to matter in human fights anyway, because human opponents are always tackled in a random order and you really cannot reliably do things like pile rupture, sinking, tremor, or burn on them. The only thing that matters is winrate, and unless you're fighting opponents with negative coins, not only does the AoE damage of Rime Shank make any given encounter that much easier, you're getting either -25 sanity to your targets or a whopping -80 once all the sinking is spent. Low sanity means easier clashes. Press winrate, watch little german boy do self-destructive purge, bing bang wahoo.

I guess that's part of the success of archetypes like Charge and Self-Tremor (aka Charge At Home), because the random clash order doesn't matter as much and you can still build to your payoff, whereas it's much more difficult to make the monkey magic happen with other archetypes (unless you're Sinking). The only place where these archetypes are allowed to shine is in focused encounters, and even then most of them are too much effort when you could just turn your brain off and let W Ryoshu turn the enemy into chunky salsa after waiting a few turns.

VinnyDonuts fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 14, 2023

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Am I just unlucky, or is the mirror dungeon biased towards giving you gifts that aren't at all relevant to your team? I run a rupture team and I don't see a single Rupture EGO anywhere but the moment I do anything else I'm drowning in Thunderbranches, I run a bleed/poise team with the Pequod crew and the middle only for Wound Clerid, Rusted Cutting Knife, and Nebulizer to be completely MIA until my next run when I'm running a charge team and all of a sudden it's the charge relics that have taken a vacation. I roll Tremor and all of a sudden Nixie Divergence has been put in the goddamn concept incinerator.

Is anyone else having this issue? I legitimately feel like I had an easier time putting together synergistic builds in MD2H when the gifts were totally random. Now I can reroll the shop all I want and all I see are the same EGO over and over and none if it is at all relevant to what I want to be doing.

I also feel like selling/fusing EGO isn't at all worth it, because that means the items you used or sold will be in the pool of available items again. You can sell your useless Burning Intellect and then reroll the shop only for it to show back up, hogging a space that could've gone to something you might actually want! I sold a useless item early on in my last run (I think it was Crown of Roses) only for it to haunt me in every single shop and half of my loving EGO choices for the rest of the dungeon! Honestly, keeping useless EGO out of the pool seems like it's worth more than selling them. Unless Pmoon implements a system where if you sell an EGO gift it's taken out of the pool of available stuff, I won't ever sell anything again.

VinnyDonuts fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 15, 2023

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

I would like to note that Blind Obsession Ishmael does support Raincliff via the passive, which hands him 5 Sinking, 1 Haste and 3 Offense Level Up every turn in exchange for him spending a few turns using Counters to lower his HP below the rest of the party. He'll then consistently lose more SP, have more clash power and be able to pick his clashes more easily.

If an ID needs not just an EGO, but someone else's EGO to be worth using, then it's not a good ID.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Yinlock posted:

what

is this A Thing or just weird speculation based on nothing at all

A lot of people (myself included) really don't trust Outis, she really gives off sketchy vibes and her asskissing really comes off as trying to gain Dante's trust to exploit them later. Plus, her introductory document specifically warns Dante not to trust her.

Plus, the character she's based on... has a history of duplicity.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I'm interested to see his Sin affinities, as well as what his s1 does. Blade Lineage IDs have thus far universally been Poise-focused (even if they're mediocre at it because they're utterly incapable of getting good Counts) and have Pride skills, with BL Sinclair having a splash of bleed. If Bamboo-Hatted Saltman is even passable, then he could fit very well into a Pequod team.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

I just want to know when Don is getting a Burn ID so she can make use of Lifetime Stew.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

studio mujahideen posted:

i definitely think part of that scene was prepping us for some aleph abnos to get reclassified as waws in limbus

I mean, there aren't that many ALEPHs to begin with. All of the ALEPHs are probably going to stay where they are because they all have the capability to basically murder an entire District on their own, one way or another - I think maybe the only exceptions would be Silent Orchestra (destruction is limited to where you can hear it, so it's probably going to have an impact similar to The Pianist) and Nothing There (destruction is limited to a personal level, although it's essentially immune to all physical damage so it might be ALEPH on that merit alone).

I think what's more likely is that some of the WAWs that are only WAW because they're a bitch to manage (like Ebony Stem) and not because they can murder a five-city-block area worth of fixers without trying are going to get demoted, and some HEs which have the capacity to cause widespread destruction might get promoted to WAW (Singing Machine comes to mind, since that's essentially a zombie apocalypse and can rapidly spiral out of control if there are a lot of able-bodied souls around to get into the music). Hell, Queen Bee might be a candidate for being promoted to ALEPH since if those spores weren't contained to a single facility and even just one can plant a bee parasite in you that can turn a normal person into a giant bee monster in a matter of minutes, that could easily result in half a district getting covered in bees before the wing can even respond.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Junpei posted:

Some small notes and moments that might be light foreshadowing for the future of other Sinners or just things I found interesting, but may not be directly plot-relevant to the Canto:

-Outis's watch (the To Pathos Mathos one) is broken. She's touchy about it. Gift from Athena? Penelope? Telemachus?

-Faust says that, quote, "it takes time for me to reach Fausts's specific knowledge" (emphasis mine). That's another piece of the puzzle for the Faust Network Theory.

-Outis notes that the idea of the lightning striking with intent brings back bad memories. Probably the equivalent of Poseidon, given storms were a part of his domain and that Odysseus royally pissed him off being the reason why his voyage takes so long.

-I have no idea why there's a Syndicate named "Addams Family" but that threw me.

-When Ryoshu mentions the Ring that acquired the Dead Rabbits, Ryoshu says it was probably the "Fauvists". "Fauvism" was an art movement from the early 20th century in France.

-M Corp, in addition to the Moonlight Stone that high-level Fixers gild stuff with, also has something called a "Abyss Trauma Correctional Facility". Therapy sounds loving terrifying in the City. Or maybe it's straight-up an insane asylum.

All of this, plus one more thing that stood out to me:

When Ryoshu suggests gouging out people's eyes, Outis immediately remarks on how good a strategy that is. I just thought that was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

Marluxia posted:

Huh, I kind of expected Gregor not to be sinking since the faction his identity is from isn't really sinking themed, it's debuff/speed themed.

Curious to see what Maid Ryoshu is gonna be like, then. Ryo already has a bleed-themed 000 in Chef Ryo, but if Maid Ryo specializes more in being fast and applying binds/paralysis then she might make a really good support unit (and finally have good synergies for Red Eyes).