Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I think this new song maybe beat And Then Is Heard No More as my favorite Mili boss theme. (Though again, that one is really good.)

Also holy poo poo the Abnormality Reverb Ensemble's designs are really gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
My real question is how the next update in LoR

Also, off-topic, but in my LC run for Day 18 on the nth reset, my pick was between Blue Star, [CENSORED], and the Red Shoes. :smugjones: I also had a choice between three WAWs during Week 3. The day before this, they tried to give me Burrowing Heaven for Training. This is definitely shaping up to be A Facility.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 11, 2021

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Acerbatus posted:

that IS a good question.

if you meant 'how long', the final story patch is next week unless it gets delayed

Pfffff

I was going to talk about how >!I'm not sure how it's going to work with the alternate endings in this update-if it'll only go on from the one branch or if there might be different final fights for different plot threads. IE, Roland betraying Angela gets Charles' Office, Angela betraying Roland gets the Head, them sticking together gets A or Carmen.!< But a very Freudian typo.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

GilliamYaeger posted:

No, there was the Reverb Encore and the fight against the Head, the latter was just way more of a cutscene fight than it is now. The original credits had a bunch of happy scenes of the Library gang living life free of the City. The game also ended on some blatant sequel bait involving Iori.

You can see the credits and Iori scene here.

I miss the credits from that ending :(

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Archonex posted:

I probably missed some other stuff, but yeah. Between this and the other games and novels they've packed a lot into these few characters and chapter. Makes me wonder how much of a nightmare N Corp's district is going to be when we go there, given that between this stuff and the other stuff to do with it we're getting tons of heads up that it's probably the most messed up wing of the city we've seen yet.

I really don't get this take about how N Corp is worse than other Wings, which I've seen a lot of other places than here so sorry for taking it out on you.

Yes, Nagel Und Hammer are batshit. Yes, they are a crazy hate group. But I genuinely do not get the whole 'N Corp is more evil than all the other Wings' stuff. Every Wing is insanely hosed up and evil in its own way and acting like there's one that's significantly worse doesn't really make sense when everything we've seen seems to show that every Wing is just a different shade of awful. N Corp is a more human kind of evil than the gibbering existential horror of W Corp, but that doesn't make it more or less evil-just a different kind of evil. Its district is going to be a nightmare, sure-just like the gambling one and District 23. They're all nightmares.

I also very much doubt this is the last we've seen of N Corp. Hell, I doubt these are even the last N Corp identity set we'll see between all the foreshadowing of N Corp being the main antagonist, Hermann and co. having drastically different aesthetics, Meursault's comments about how Nagel Und Hammer is more of a subgroup of N Corp, and the fact that Meursault and Yi Sang both used to work there.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Quackles posted:

Also, a thought occurred to me.

Apocalypse Bird is something of a 'flagship' Abnormality for the series as a whole. Do you think we'll ever face it in Limbus?

I think we'll probably see the Birds and Magical Girls in some form eventually but I wouldn't make plans on that happening for a year at the bare minimum. We might get some Punishing Bird stuff solo since it's TETH-level, adorable, and widely beloved, but considering how taking on a full-strength HE abnormality nearly killed everyone in the party and required Demian to bail everyone out, I'm pretty sure that in our current state Apocalypse Bird could literally kill the sinners by looking at them.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Since I dolphined for Faust and Meursault, I'm saving my 3* ticket for a rainy day/the release of a new character I'm really into. (Which is probably definitely not Outis, as cool as she is, lmao.)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Lurks With Wolves posted:

(Also, someone could probably make a similar effort post about what EGOs each character can use and what that means about them, but that person isn't going to be me.)

I'll try?

First off, going with the story abnormalities and story Sinners since we know more about them.

Gregor Legerdemain: Not sure this even really needs an explanation. Bugs, apples, trauma.

Rodya Rime Shank: See Gregor Legerdemain. Final boss of her chapter, thematically relevant.

Rodya Fourth Match Flame: Rodya repeatedly talks about being in the cold and wanting to be warm, which is the same motif as Scorched Girl and the story she's based off of. Scorched Girl talks in Lobcorp about how cold she is, too. There's also Rodya's personality here: her EGO line has her talking about fervent feelings.

Sinclair Impending Day: Here's where things get more complicated. I...don't entirely get this one. Doomsday Calendar has a lot of motifs going on-sacrifice, the cosmos, betrayal-and I don't really know where Sinclair fits in. He betrayed his family, but not in the way that the clerks did-but maybe it's a representation of his guilt for that, framed as a 'sacrifice'?

Outis Ebony Queen's Apple: Someone else here mentioned Eris's apple of discord starting the Trojan War, which I think is a really good connection. The Abnormality battle heavily links this with 'distrust', which also fits Outis to a T.

Meursault You Wanna Get Beat? Hurtily?: And back to simplicity. Meursault is very roboty, he is a robot now. It's interesting to note that something I've seen pointed out on Twitter is that even while he's Corroded, Meursault's lines in this EGO are distinctly less emotional than that of the Abnormality.

Hong Lu Pink Shoes: Bondage! The Pink Shoes' ribbons are pretty-looking and intoxicating, but they bind tightly. Even when he isn't corroded, Hong Lu is depicted as a puppet dangling from strings here. The hints we've had at Hong Lu's backstory definitely imply something of a 'gilded cage' situation.

Ishmael Pink Shoes: Obviously, this is a reference to how incredibly horny Moby-Dick is. I guess maybe something about her single-minded obsession with hunting Ahab? As many people have pointed out, Hong Lu seems to be trapped by the ribbons while Ishmael seems to be hypnotized by them.

Fluid Sac: I have no loving idea what the deal is with Fluid Sac or Headless Ichthys. It's a fish. It was nightmarishly hard and now it isn't. It's kind of cute in a weird way. However, narratively, there's no attack names or lines when using the EGO that give me any idea of what it's supposed to represent. It also has its writeup done by Meursault, with no additional comments, and he doesn't even finish it(?).

Telepole: This one we have a little more on than feesh, as Yi Sang makes some interesting comments in his log regarding the dog being forced to move by electric stimuli and seeming to follow the will of the electricity. The corrosion is interesting because in both cases Don and Heathcliff are attacked by the abnormality and become the prisoner impaled on it rather than the abnormality itself. Heathcliff is associated with storms?

Gregor Fae Lantern: ...Fairies are kind of like insects?

Outis Ya Sunyata Tad Rupam: ...I do not know nearly enough about Buddhism to make a call here. Googling says a rough translation would be 'whatever emptiness there is, that is form'. Her lines imply that this has something to do with her guilt about the Smoke War, with her talking about karma falling upon people.

Meursault Pursuance: This one is more interesting because of what Meursault isn't. In The Stranger, Meursault's atheism is a major plot point. Part of the ending is his refusing the priest's offers of forgiveness and redemption-which makes his line 'I will pray for you so that you will surely break' interesting. His Corrosion here has him again asking to not be forgiven. This one so obviously doesn't fit him that it immediately makes it interesting? Probably has something to do with his backstory, likely connected with whatever went down between him and N Corp.

Ryoshu Fourth Match Flame: haha ryoshu you burned your daughter alive. I had all sorts of things I was going to say about her daughter as the Scorched Girl and wondering what kanji she was writing but then I remembered that oh yeah. That.

Ishmael Ardor Blossom Star: I have no clue, honestly.

Faust Hex Nail: This abnormality has a lot of character, and I think this is extremely interesting in what it implies about Faust's backstory. It's worth noting that Faust Part 2 involves the death of Faust's son and Faust sounds on the verge of tears while corroding. EDIT: After her corrosion a cereal box falls out with a smaller cartoony teddy bear on it and a bloody teddy bear's arm poking out. So yeah, uh, Euphorion was probably a thing.

Yi Sang: I have not read The Wings and I do not understand what summaries I have read of The Wings. I have no idea what's going on in either of his EGOs.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 4, 2023

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Does anyone know WTF is going on with the crane robot? Is it clashable or is it not clashable? The text says it's not, gameplay says it is?

GilliamYaeger posted:

W Don, G Gregor, 7 Outis and N Faust are the workhorses of my lineup so far. R Heathcliff is also really really good.

N Meursault's super good. I had some trouble with R Heathcliff because once he loses his ammo he's dead weight.

Focusing Telepole is your best bet here I think. I also think the whole thing is really more difficult than it needs to be because you're absolutely hosed if you go in without knowing what they resist, and the game enforces that you don't know what they resist! And I say resist instead of saying what they're weak against because Bodysack was hitting for like 10 damage against either the robot or Telepole, I can't remember which, and that was more damage than my gacha egos were doing because getting them uptied costs a whole lot of thread.

I see what they're going for with Lobcorp style trial-and-error learning about the monsters as you fight them-but that works really differently in a management sim and a RPG. And it's just really really frustrating.

Anyway, hit my own brick wall with Everything There because I accidentally brought damage types it resisted while trying to bring my strongest units.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I really should have put regular Heathcliff instead of rabbit Heathcliff in this team but now I'm on Stage 10 and if I backtrack I will have to go through everything again.

You know, I never thought I'd say it, but Stage 10 gives me so much respect for K Corp. Sure, the constant healing is irritating, but it's easy to set up a proper team comp to fight them and they aren't tanky to the point it's absurd.

K Corp was actually somehow one of the LESS irritating stages? You just focus one and batter them down. N Meursault is hilariously good for it.

Meanwhile, Slithering and Crawling Inquisitors have 1500, 650, 650 hp, and they're all weak to Wrath! Unfortunately, I used my wrath characters on K Corp because they're ALSO weak to wrath and they got beaten badly and now the only Wrath characters I have are Heathcliff and R Ishmael!

It's not even that it's impossible, it's just so frustrating. The giant HP bars are really demoralizing. It feels like you're barely doing scratch damage.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
The HP totals are really bullshit. It just isn't fun.

I nearly got it(managed to push off the Slithering Inquisitor, one Four-Legged Beast about to die) and then I died because my sole survivor, Sinclair, couldn't beat the beasts in a clash. I was excited and interested, thinking up a new strategy and how I'd work it, started again...and then just ragequit because the constant slow gradual grinding was too much. I don't even know if it was a brick wall-it's just that it takes so long to try to break down these meat walls.

When my Level 30 Ishmael uses her Mind Whip against a staggered foe with Fragile or otherwise lowered defenses, she can do upwards of 250 damage. This is enough to one-hit or almost most regular enemies in the game. This is also around 15% of the Slithering Inquisitor's health pool. The circumstances to do this much damage are few and far between.

I understand the idea of a challenge, but it's just deeply, deeply frustrating to just have these infinite fights for sliver damage. I've given up on turncount, it's just frustrating and unfun. Whether my strategy will work or not, if I put effort into it I will have to spend so much time slowly slogging away that at several points I've considered just turning on winrate in what's supposed to be the biggest challenge mode. Not to mention all of this is decided by the weaknesses, which you aren't told about in advance! If you used units that would be good for one thing to do a fight before it, you might just be completely screwed and have no idea!

This is partly on me and my terrible skills, I admit, but also the amount of meatwalls... The K Corp fight was actually significantly less irritating than all the 1500 HP abnos because at least you got to feel like you were actually doing damage before they healed it up and there was a challenge in 'hit them hard enough they can't heal it back'. R Heathcliff, who I trained up because he's usually one of the best units, is completely useless here. This might be easier if I change out, but if I change out then I'm going to have to fight through all nine stages again.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Junpei posted:

Hong Lu also intrigues me. For all he's played as the most naive and silly of the sinners, there are some hints in the margins that he's not really as unaware as he seems: He claims once in his base ID that he thought family was, quote, "a cohort of kin looking to stab each other in the back at every turn". Obviously Jia Huan will probably tie into that, but there must be more to it.
Hong Lu is my vote for 'most hosed up chapter'. Between that line, the scene in Chapter 3 where he's the only one able to lie to Saude while she's dying, and his Liu Uptie story, there is Something Up With That Kid. (Also, while I still haven't read Dream of the Red Chamber apparently his dad is quite the piece of work and also Jia Huan tries to blind him at one point?)

Especially the Liu uptie story. For those who don't have it: Yi Sang points out that it's strange that someone with as much money as Hong Lu has what appears to be a mechanical eye and that surely his family could afford something more subtle, to which Hong Lu says that he can't really help it since he was a 'gem of a child' and Carmen mentions that his voice is shaking when he says that.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Junpei posted:

Every 2-person new banner has had one male character and one female. Meursault/Rodion, then Faust/Heathcliff, then Outis/Hong Lu, then Ryoshu/Sinclair (tho Sinclair was EGO then.)

Sinclair's confirmed, so the second is probably one of the girls. Rodion and Faust are out because they're already N Corp, and I think Ryoshu and Outis are too recent.

So, really, for me it's a run-off between Don and Ishmael.

Don has had two EGOs, while Yi Sang hasn't had anything new at all. My pet theory is that, since we've got a whole 5-man team set up with N Corp, we're going to get a Tieqiu ID for Ishmael, Yi Sang, or maybe even Quixote as the 00-we have Tingtang and Los Mariachis as IDs, but not the swearing box one. It would fit with Ishy's snark and Yi Sang's poetry, too.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yi Sang is going to be the 3O because he's the focus figure of the next chapter and I'm assuming it'll be like G Corp Gregor and N Corp Sinclair.

f in the chat for our girl rodya

N Sinclair does bring me hope in that if purposefully bad sanity is an option then maybe it's possible that one day What Is Cast's passive won't be an active hindrance to the team.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Yinlock posted:

Ch. 4

Speaking of Dongrang, I was impressed by what a slimeball he was. Putting on the friendly easygoing boss facade then sildling up to Dante like "see you guys only help others because you know you'll res, friends aren't real"(which ignores how Heathcliff saved Gregor, an act which makes no sense just going by purely selfish motives, since Dante can just bring Gregor back anyway) and how his aide guy is coercive as hell and tends to brush past horrible implications with contract-speak or just "yeah see it's fine though". Can't wait to fight all these guys at some point.

I felt kind of bad for Samjo-he's a total rear end in a top hat but it's pretty clear there is a lot going on that he isn't on top of. Dongrang could not more obviously be Up To Something, and I can't remember where I saw the stuff that gave me this impression but I remember finishing the chapter with the distinct impression that Samjo isn't in the know. He seems to be a corporate drone-he's amoral and coercive, but as is it seems like his main goal is to serve K Corp? Dongrang, meanwhile... Also, I am pretty sure that regardless of whatever Dongrang is up to he genuinely doesn't know about the Guinhoe-not only would it have probably been something he noticed during Hell's Chicken, but Dongrang's talks with Dante are private and Samjo isn't in on them. I feel like he's very likely to end up being a pawn sacrificed by Dongrang.

Also, re: all the discussion of K Corp's Singularity, I feel like we need to bring up the K Corp enemies on the Refraction Railway again. We might have not seen them again yet but they were pretty weird looking and also were dissolving into goo-I think it's a possibility EGO Ishmael is actually K Corp. But the colors are different-regardless, Luminous Bracelet talk means we should probably bring up the extra juiced employees on the railway.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
What an absolutely gorgeous final fight. Just outright stunning. Fun mechanics too-I struggled a lot before I managed to beat her.

I really like Dongbaek.

You know who I don't like? loving DONGRANG THAT'S WHO. What an absolute slimebag.

-I wonder if Yi Sang is going to distort?

-I had a lot of theories on K Corp's singularity and this was definitely not any of them. Wonder what that means about those high-class K Corp employees or N Meursault.

-Related, does that mean that Blubbering Toad is related to K Corp in a way? That is, that it's a metaphorical reflection of K Corp like the Birds are the Head?

-Small detail that I'm kind of obsessed with: Samjo mentions that he and TLA guy both had job interviews with B Corp. Is that a Beholder thing only or does, after all the speculation, the Head select Arbiters and Claws through job interviews from Nest applicants? Because that would be a hilarious anticlimax.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I'm going to go out on a limb and theorize Farmwatch Outis. Faust could also work because of the Faust narrative revolving around the costs of personal ambition similar to Dongrang's but also I really liked the moment where Outis told Dongrang he was sure his cow remembered him, sue me.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I'm pretty sure that Yi Sang explained some important lore in today's Dante's Notes, but unfortunately I have about as much ability as Dante to figure out what the hell he means.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

MotU posted:

its lovely to put up what is likely considered one of the fan favorite NPCs as paid lunacy only announcer after what would be an EoS-level content drought in other gachas

Not commenting on the rest of The Discourse, but I wouldn't say this would be EOS-level? To be fair, this would be because my other main gacha is FGO, which is currently in a State content-wise on the Japanese server.

(Personally I'm not too bothered about the paid Yuri announcer one way or the other, but Yuri has never been a particular favorite of mine.)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

microfolk posted:

I love Don's :3: face in the base art, but I'm not a big fan of how her breasts are accentuated in the upgraded art. Limbus has been pretty good thus far but some artworks definitely feel more sexualized than they have ever been in the previous games.

I might have said that about Boatworks Ishmael(ironically), but... I really don't get this description for this specific art? Like, sure, she's got boobs and she's not wearing much of a top, but I wouldn't say it reads as more sexual than something like the aforementioned Boatworks Ishmael or Sayo.

Seconding everyone else in absolutely loving this canto so far-Ishmael's voice acting was incredible. (I'm also glad for the Don English moment.) The pacing is way better than C4, and the entire final fight was incredible. The character interactions were great too.

As for theories, I don't have any particular theories on the nature of U Corp's singularity/what exactly the whales and mermaids have to do with it, but I do think that with Ishmael's explanation of how mermaids are created it's very likely that we'll run into at least one member of the Pequod's former crew transformed.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, that's my biggest criticism of Limbus Company's story, I think. I understand the intention to drop 3 Cantos at once and show off how that works, but it means Greg and Rodya got shortchanged and their Cantos are all set-up for larger story stuff with very little personal revelations for them. Sinclair's Canto is pretty good despite being from season 1, so I think if I were suggesting an alternative story pace with all that in mind, I'd have had the game release with Gregor and Rodya's Cantos but not Sinclair's, so they both get more focus and complexity.

Oh well, though. I enjoyed their Cantos, but seeing literally every other Canto past them is like. Huh.

Huge agree here with the addendum that IMO Rodya's is by far the weakest. Gregor has most of his being setup, but the whole dungeon is an exploration of him with the interactions with the G-Corp soldiers and the trip into his memories is great.

Rodya's...isn't. Like, it's funny and all, and the interactions where we get to see her beyond the facade like in the game with the gang leaders are great, but there's pretty much no story resonance despite the whole 'gambler in J Corp' thing, which makes sense because it's established that she has nothing to do with this place or anyone here except for that Sonya is active. Only Floor 3 really digs into her head, but even then it's almost an anti-catharsis. There isn't even a boss battle at the end, the Sinners just run away and Rodya goes back to deflecting and playing everyone's fun big sis as soon as they're out.

I do think this was intentional. Rodya deflects and avoids like a pro and the end includes multiple characters, including pre-development Yi Sang and Vergilius questioning how fast she 'got over' this and why she's minimizing it so much. But it's really, really unsatisfying. It was unsatisfying when we had these big meaty chapters(and Gregor's) about the male sinners and it's still unsatisfying when Ishmael also got a really deep character dive instead of just 'I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER LET'S RUN AWAY FROM THE BOSS BATTLE'.

Also, I ADORED Canto V and I now absolutely understand all the hardcore Kromer/Yuri/Dongrang/Samjo fans because omg Ahab. She is SUCH a fun character and I really hope the inevitable Ahab Ishmael ID will give us more lore on her backstory with the Pallid Whale.

Also, despite managing to make it through the abnos and the first bossfight pre-nerf, the post-nerf final boss was by far the toughest for me, significantly more than Dongrang or Dongbaek.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Faust is absolutely the one most in the know about LC's goals still. But given the literary reference is it possible that we're missing the forest for the trees, and the real Mephistopheles is not the bus, but the bigwigs of LCA?

Also Shower thought. We know in retrospective Ishmael was using Queelaag's name back in the early Canto because she used to be a Middle member in hopes it would give clout, but why when she was a "discharged" member who had to cut her tattoos and have brain surgery? Was it a sign of her encroaching madness, using a loved one as a tool for her objective? Was she hoping the Middle is insane enough that knowing a former member does give you some leeway?

ALSO I made some surface level reading on Moby Dick's stuff (not American so wasn't required reading) and I was surprised IshmaelxQueelaag is apparently still a valid reading, and gay.

It's actually EVEN GAYER. This is not to say that what we got was a 'no-homo', because it was still super loving gay and I loved it, but Moby Dick has a whole chapter where Ishmael and Queequeg cuddle in bed together and Ishmael says that he's Queequeg's wife and they're on their honeymoon.

Countzer posted:

Seeing the new IDs got me thinking of Ishmael in Ahab's outfit, which made me realise they have rather similar long hair. I guess that's what her growing out her hair after the shipwreck signifies. She already was very much like Ahab mentally and the hair just drives home their similarity even more. Great design planning, honestly.
That's a valid reading but I also think that it might also be to remember Queequeg, because Queequeg loved her hair.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

NotteBoy97 posted:

Reminder Mr. Salt has seen a person turn into a Distortion before and iirc killed one. While this could had just been a random encounter for Mersault it could be his mother turned into a Distortion and he killed her either cause she was going to kill him or he decided it was most optimal for all involved if he killed his Distorted mother or maybe some other possible options.

While I still don't have any idea on what Meursault's crime actually was, I definitely don't think it's this. I've seen this theory around and I just feel that even with the "I killed my mother", it still doesn't sync up with the book or the character we've seen in-game so far. It just seems too...normal? Like, if your mother turns into a monster and you kill her in self-defense, that's not something that fits with the plot of The Stranger and that wouldn't lead to his mentions of people condemning him en masse in the trailer. Like, even with N Corp's funky morals, that doesn't make sense.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Well, we didn't get any EGO for Sign of Roses, so IDK if that'll be the final boss. Seems a bit big to assume that.

Anyway, though I've got a lot and I'll probably be saving shards for Ahabmael, Pursuance Rodya is cool and thematic.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Re: whether or not Outis is a traitor, I think that she's an incredibly ruthless pragmatist. There's definitely a lot of heavy foreshadowing that she's a traitor, but for every Identity like Blade Lineage that implies that there's ones like 7 Outis who's genuinely loyal and altruistic(and fwiw, I definitely don't read Cinq Outis as plotting against Don and Sinclair, she's just a jerk and they're both...unconventional for leaders). After Canto 5 and 5.5, I'm pretty sure that Outis doesn't want to backstab Dante-not out of any personal fondness, but because their death will lead to terrible consequences for her and have her unable to fulfill her goals.

Now, the Sinners and Limbus Company as a whole, on the other hand... Yeah, Outis is 100% willing to do that. Hell, IIRC she pretty openly said in Canto 5(she claimed the same thing in Canto 2, but it was in more of a comedic context) that she considers Dante and herself the only indispensible members of the team and is absolutely willing to kill any of the others if they become inconvenient. That said, she's been very blunt about this, so.

IMO, I'm a little dubious that there's a traitor qua traitor. I mean, the guy who claimed that there would almost certainly be a traitor was Dongrang, and that moment is pretty easy to see as him projecting like an IMAX. I think that there are many Sinners who may turn against the team, and I think that there's a whole lot of people with their own agendas, but straight up 'working for someone else and intending to betray the team as a premeditated thought' I can't really see for anyone. (I do think it's very very likely that Heathcliff will end up betraying the team in Canto 6. I'm expecting that whole Canto to be an absolute shitshow all around :allears:)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Junpei posted:

You know that's fair, but that does leave one notable gap.

Hermann herself represents Gregor. Sonya is collaborating with them, so I could see him being part of the group, being Rodion. Gubo is Yi Sang. Ahab is Ishmael. We don't know who the recruits for Heath, Don, Ryoshu, Meursault, Outis or Faust will be, but Jia Huan is Hong Lu.

But who would be Sinclair? Demian's off doing his own thing, and the only indication we have of his group being reflections of the sinners is Rim taking the Yi Sang role. We don't have any indication that Demian and Hermann have even met.

Time for me to plug my incredibly unjustified theory that Fedallah is part of Demian's group!

I have no justification for this other than that it's very sus that one of the more important figures on the Pequod was completely missing from the chapter, especially given Ahab's rants about how killing the white whale is her destiny and the fact that while Ishmael's weapon is named 'Hearse', his prophecy about the hearse is never mentioned, and we discovered that someone important from Yi Sang's past was with Demian in Ishmael's chapter, so why not?

Anyway, both Crime and Punishment and Demian have extensive casts who we've seen almost nothing of due to early canto stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Frau Eva, Pistorius, Dounia Raskolnikov, Razmuzhin, and some others show up in later cantos. (Along with Grete, obviously.)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Lord_Magmar posted:

All the final bosses of the Railways are Themed after specific World Religions so far. Given we've had Buddhism (My Form Empties) and Christianity (Sign of Roses).

This one is no different.

Wait, what religion is hands?

Anyway, Ardor Blossom Moth is PAINFUL. I'm sure that in the inevitability that I manage to make it past That loving Moth Ahab will be just as much of a PITA if not more but at least I get to listen to her voice while she beats me up and she's one of my fave characters so far. That said, considering I was barely keeping track of Burn, things might be sliiiiightly less painful if I do...

Still significantly better than the nightmare that was Mobius lol. I didn't even finish it. I just couldn't with that loving steam machine.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Well, I was stuck on Ardor Blossom Moth, so I decided to switch up my team, and now I'm stuck on Skin Prophet. This is proooobably because I'm working with a level 30-ish team and one Level 40 Regret Faust who is extremely reliable.

So yeah, I'll go grind. That miiight be the better tactic for now.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

Lt. Lizard posted:

Really loved the Ryoshu advice of " if there are people pissing you off that much, why don't you just kill them". :v:

Also was pretty surprised that she seems to have a soft spot for Heathcliff?

I agree with that and I also found Ryoshu's soft spot for Heathcliff surprising/charming but I don't think it was entirely that. When she started picking a fight with the Oufi she specifically said that something wasn't right here, and Ryoshu is both very familiar with a lot of nasty stuff and the most combat experienced of the Sinners/the only one who noticed the Shi fixers in Canto 4. Which immediately got distracted because Gregor assumed she was trying to fight for Heathcliff and then sleepytime smack and then things got weird so we never learned what it was she thought was wrong, but...

PetraCore posted:

Something that stood out to me in this section of the Canto is that Nelly and Josephine are clearly loyal to different Mistresses, although Josephine seems ultimately loyal to Wuthering Heights itself as a stand-in to Joseph using God as his battering ram of judgement in the book. Given Josephine is a generation older at the least than Nelly, who still seems of an age with Hindley in Limbus Company, I'm guessing the Mistress Josephine is loyal to is Mrs. Earnshaw, which is interesting because she's such a minor character in the book because she dies when Catherine is... like, 7?

Mrs. Earnshaw definitely seems to be shaping up to be important with her involvement sealing off the basement and whatever Mrs. Danvers/Rebecca poo poo is going on with her and Josephine. Though Heathcliff's comment about the flowers at Wuthering Heights makes it seem like both older Earnshaws were up to shady stuff. Outis' ID actually has a ton of really weird lore about what's going on with Josephine, Mrs. Earnshaw, and the basement-apparently there's...something under the house, 'hypogean waters', which Josephine is obsessed with 'drinking'. (I also like that generally names in the City are completely gender-neutral and I wouldn't have batted an eye if she was named Joseph but the old lady obsessed with tradition and the status quo has her name feminized. It's a nice touch.)

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

PetraCore posted:

Thinking about what we've seen of Catherine so far, and I'm not convinced she's the villain of the Canto even if she's definitely up to some weird and shady poo poo and may or may not be dead. I'm actually leaning towards not dead, because Nelly didn't see the body and we know Linton would lie about things to conspire with her. But the Oufi involvement and dividing of assets implies she's legally dead. It's weird. I'm holding off judgement.

But going back to the villain thing, I guess for me it's more that a lot if the things we've seen so far imply the shady stuff at Wuthering Heights goes back way further than her, and whatever she's doing now, it was triggered by a conversation with her mystery visitor. Heathcliff and Cathy overidentify and blur boundaries with each other so much in the book, I kind of feel like when she was talking about how she's the only thing Heathcliff has, she means Heathcliff is the only thing she has. There's a lot going on to imply she was a deeply unhappy person even given the luxuries she had that Heathcliff lacks, and the Limbus version seems similar, with the conversation about birds. She's definitely supposed to be smart, and the Limbus version asking for a multi-purpose wrench at the age of 6 instead of a horse whip implies a strong interest in engineering, but it also kind of feels like someone very carefully presented her with information in such a way as to provoke a specific reaction from her, and we need to know who that was and how she found out about the mirror worlds.

None of this prevents her from being a villain, of course, but I get the feeling Limbus is trying to make her a fairly complex character, and if she is alive at the end of this all, I could see a couple different ways it could go. I wouldn't call her Heathcliff's primary abuser at all from what we've seen so far, but there's always time for her to dig herself deeper in that emotional hole.

Big agree, specifically with 'things were going on before Cathy'. Everything about the older Earnshaws is incredibly suspicious-even ignoring that Mrs. Earnshaw may or may not be haunting the house as well as Cathy, there's also that she was the one to seal off the basement which Outisphine's lines imply had something freaky going on down in there even before whatever Cathy did. Not to even get into Mr. Earnshaw-considering everything in this universe, I doubt that he took in a random starving kid out of the many, many starving kids in the Backstreets out of the kindness of his heart.

It's also interesting to note that Linton Edgar seems to be drawing on Heathcliff's son Linton as much as on Edgar Linton, and a lot of the story of the second generation in Wuthering Heights is about generational trauma.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Mirror Heathcliff was so loving bullshit I ended up just watching the end of the story on Youtube and going to grind. The RNG....... It's even worse because he keeps like, rolling lowhigh on speed, and then my friend who has a Sunshower Heath doesn't have him support, and all my loving Sinners regularly roll tails on every. single. roll. except NClair for some reason.

Absolutely fantastic though, what a great story. Second me as shocked they managed to one-up Canto V. It's kind of hilarious how much weaker Hindley's fursona is than both the Oufiring boss before him and Heathcliff 2.0 after.

Also I feel like this whole part would be improved by In The Hall Of The Mountain King because holy poo poo that escalated quickly.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 4, 2024

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Meanwhile I'm still pretty sure that Cathy's parents are going to play a role, between the already-mentioned elements of the second generation our characters have, that it's more than a little sus that Mr. Earnshaw just picked up one random homeless kid out of all the homeless kids in the Backstreets, and everything about the fact that Cathy's mom was apparently the first one to start loving with the basement and Josephine thinks that she can talk to her ghost. Which might have been the ghost Cathy saw as a kid?

It's of course very possible that Josephine is just crazy. Though I don't think she's hearing Carmen, given the bit after her fight where she says the Mistress told her to stop fighting Limbus Company and go clear out the Dead Rabbits-something that Carmen would have no reason to do.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

PetraCore posted:

I still think it's really funny she talks about how on a particularly abusive Christmas tiny Heathcliff turned to her and explained that plotting elaborate revenge was the only thing that made the pain inside stop. Which, like, does seem likely to be his motivation later in life but if that actually had happened and she just brushed it off it paints her even worse!

I don't think Nelly is 'the true villain of Wuthering Heights' or whatever but it's very funny to me when people forget she's also a major character in the very story she's telling and thus also a weird bitter emotional trainwreck.

Book!Heath's history with Christmas really explains why he got that Holiday ID. :(

Probe 17 posted:

Wuthering Heights was absolutely built over The River and that plays a big part of why the place is such a weird hellhole. Super cool Josephine wanted to drink directly from it, I'm sure that'd go great.

In Josephine's defense, while she's both insane and an rear end in a top hat she was hosed over by the Butler contracts as bad as Nelly was-possibly even worse, considering that Outis's Josephine ID mentions having generations of ancestors buried under the manor. Except that while Nelly resented the system, Josephine embraced it and developed a fixation on the waters as an eventual end to her duties and reward.

Also, side note, WTF was going on there, this isn't even just about the homoerotic subtext but also what was Mrs. Earnshaw doing? It seems like something seriously important to just set away and give to a side character who was barely mentioned a few times in the original text and who had both characters with a connection to her die. So here's how Cathy can still come back-

Though I guess considering some of the other surprise literary cameos and Josephine's behavior, it's possible that she could turn out to be Rebecca from the novel of the same name? /half-joking

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I don't think a Cathy ID would work, mostly because...we don't really know what she does? She was a drat good engineer and Every Catherine has all sorts of funky powers, but Every Catherine is high-level Mirror weirdness and there hasn't been anything indicating Cathy herself was a fighter. Except I guess that Hindley mentions being trained in fighting at school, but it clearly wasn't enough for him to not be the resident example of 'all the enhancements in the world mean nothing if you don't have the skills to back them up'.

Also, the fact that Carmen(and kind of Gregor and Ishmael) refers to Cathy specifically also lends itself to this. If another character took Cathy's place, presumably they would not have been cleared with the rest(maybe?).

That said, I had the feeling that Carmen had referred to other people as children before and it turns out I was right. Some random underlings of Mariachi Sinclair are referred to by her as children. That could be Day 1 weirdness, though.

t3isukone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 20, 2024

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away

KobunFan posted:

I'm not sure there were any right choices at that point. It was pretty clear that no matter what timeline, no matter what situation, Heathcliff and Cathy were doomed to make each other miserable, no matter how much they loved each other. With the Erlking Heathcliff added to the mix, jumping dimensions specifically to kill Heathcliffs, that became even more true. The only chance for ANY happiness for either of them was for one or the other to be removed from the equation.

While this seems to be the case I'd like to point out that judging from what we've seen of World of Wuthering Heights, clearing all Cathies did not actually do much. Rather, I guess it depends on time? In general, there could have been worlds where Heathcliff got out and found a happier life... but in the Mirror World associated with this chapter, Cathy deleting herself did not do anything except make Linton/Gregor even more sad because he's grieving for something and he doesn't know what or why. Butler Ishmael straight up references the Wild Hunt still being around. Which implies that Erlcliff is still going out and killing everyone throughout all the mirror worlds... I guess we'll have to wait for Erlcliff ID to know what the gently caress's going on there, but the existence of the Wild Hunt alone does not seem like a good sign.

Anyway, errors sure are a thing.

I was rolling for Rodya and Yesod and got Sinclair and Ishmael. I mean, I GUESS.

Faust's statements are super confusing.

Heathcliff's bat being changed is sad. Dante worrying about him is worrying. Don Quixote fangirling over the Library is very worrying considering her canto's slated to ome up next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Good news: yay, finally beat all easy missions! Switching my patron from Sinclair to Ishy worked really well.

Bad news: While I love MDH, still getting used to the new icons meant I accidentally Jun'd and wiped my run.

Also I rolled for Yesod on Walpurgis and while I got all the IDs and EGOs now, I still don't have the guy I was originally rolling for......