Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Itll be no worse than any Hilux with bullbar that is ADR compliant. Or even without the bullbar, a new Hilux would hit someome my size chest high and they would be going under it. Modern dual cabs are just stupidly large

And yet they're tiny next to the American equivalents.

The local ex-Holden dealer has a Silverado 2500 parked next to an 'HSV' Colorado and the size difference is stark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

And uses Google traffic and routing, IIRC.

Which is the same as Waze, though you do lose the individual instance alerts.

Waze and Google Maps give me quite different routes and ETAs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I think pretty much all non-Leafs will do > 6.6kw - Teslas can do more 11-16kw depending on model and the Renault Zoe can do 22kw AC (and the originals didn't have any DC at all)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It isn't just a Telsa problem, the Kia system can activate unexpectedly too (at least it does in their current ICE models)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

While I love the idea of a proper EV wagon the MG is pretty grim even compared to their SUVs - it's very clearly built to a price.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Having a 'guided setup wizard' to tell you how to adjust something as simple as a mirror is insane

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

borkencode posted:

There's some sort of EV only racing going on in Japan, looks like the top finishers are all Model 3s, a Taycan gets 6th. There's also a Nissan Leaf shown a couple times displaying a "holy poo poo it's going to tip over" amount of body roll https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKAAkNsEHW0

I see an e-power Note there too which looks even more awkward than the Leaf.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

That's game over if it's true. The R1T is supposed to be $69k?

Going to the double cab is a $9k option on the base F-150 so bear that in mind

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

I can’t see a regular cab being an option though.

Well that would put it around the price of the base hybrid which I don't see being an option either.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

particle9 posted:

It's 230 miles for the 40k. 300 for the 53k version.

Will be interesting to see what trim and configuration that's in.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Speleothing posted:

The real answer is probably that the lowest-cost lowest-range model has a sub-200km (125mi) range, just like the Electric Transit that they're building for commercial buyers*. A bunch of people in this thread are making big assumptions about what the range will be on consumer models*.

* by which I mean there's a fair change that the lowest price range of the Lightning will only be available if you're buying at least 150 of them.

According to the Ford website the most basic V6 F-150 is $28,940 but that quickly ramps up once you start adding options. If the electric one has the same starting specs then that's a $11k difference so the model you'd actually want to buy would be $50k

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

so all the hype about the $40k pricepoint was kinda smoke and mirrors? I thought they said the fleet truck and base retail model are both $40k. It's hard to see what in that XLT description could be stripped out to make it $15k cheaper, most of the features mentioned are options.

More chrome.

Also looking at the petrol models cruise control, alloy wheels, carpet, power locks, remote key. bind spot. Maybe noting that seems to add up to $15k but some of those things would be drat annoying to miss out on

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Tesla is removing radar for all model 3 and y vehicles delivered to North America. Seems like a horrible idea but that should solve the phantom braking issues.

How would removing sensors solve that particular problem? If anything it'll make things worse.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Like in Asia, you would rarely see the big trucks or the vans, but instead you have little kei or key-style trucks

By 'Asia' do you mean 'Japan'?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Japan, HK, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, yes.

Thailand and Malaysia don't have Kei cars, it's all 'normal' sized vans like the HiAce. Cambodia and Laos use lot of SsangYong/Mercedes which are a little larger and Kias which are roughly HiAce sized.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I mean there's no design rules for concept cars, no. But like if they actually intend on selling the thing as shown then they're probably going to struggle getting it past NCAP Euro standards. If the steel bodywork is as strong as they like to suggest it is (and isn't as weak as their bulletproof glass :v: ) then the thing is going to be interesting in the crash testing.

Why would it need to pass NCAP?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Maverick is still the size of an explorer and you can’t get AWD with the hybrid power train so I’m not sure how popular the base model will actually be. It’s small for a truck but big for a FWD CUV.

In length sure but it's significantly narrower which is just as important.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I wouldn't be surprised if the Ariya has less usable space than the Boot EUV - remember Nissan is famously bad at packaging

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Sounds like you put your whole palm over the button panel (kinda like how you cover the whole earcup for listen in mode on Sony headphones). Needlessly complicated but I don't think you'd activate it accidentally.

E. Capacitive buttons are the worst. My mother has a 2016 Honda Jazz/Fit which is an excellent car aside from the completely capacitive stereo and AC controls.

dissss fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 12, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Fine motor control degrades under stress. This way, instead of having to find the right tiny button while freaking out about the person moving into your lane, you just slap the entire spoke with your hand. I actually like it, if it works reliably.

Yeah but

bird with big dick posted:

Why didn’t they make it so it honks when you press the middle of the wheel

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's probably way more efficient to directly drive the wheels with the ICE engine rather than converting it to electricity at something like 40% efficiency at best, then using an electric motor to drive the wheels at 80% efficiency.

Nissan does a completely series hybrid seeing for the Japanese market - it's the electric motor from a Leaf with a little three cylinder engine and a tiny battery. They're very much a city car though so higher speeds work not have been a design consideration.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ola posted:

Thinking in % is a mistake. He gets the same added range per hour as a Leaf, since the consumption is similar. He just has room for more. That doesn't exclude him being a dick of course.

Some versions of the Model 3 are actually more efficient than a Leaf which is kinda mind blowing considering the performance difference.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I started my wife's Holden (Daewoo) in R a while ago and it merrily took off backwards down the hill.
I had to run after it and stomp on the brake and got whacked by a car door in the chest to pay me back.

The poor thing just wanted to die, why prolong its suffering?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

A 48V mild hybrid for torque fill on a turbo engine could be fantastic if they can keep the weight down.

It won't get a turbo.

I'd bet it'll be a very similar setup to the current Skyactiv-X 3, slightly better fuel economy but not more performance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Regardless, 120 miles out of 33kWh would be 275 Wh/mi which is certainly achievable and that is a reasonable range for a car like a Miata.

The MX-5 has never been a particularly fuel efficient car.

The current roadster uses more fuel than a CX-30 (or ICE version of the MX-30) so extrapolating from the MX-30 EV (with a 35kWh battery and 124miles WLTP range) I don't think 120miles real world is realistic. Especially given how disappointing real world range is on the MX-30.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's pretty impressive that they have 244 miles EPA range considering their size! Sounds like a great alternative to the hypothetical 150 mile range E-Miata folks in here were complaining about earlier.

You could have a 250 mile MX-5 too it'd just end up heavy and expensive.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

It's based on whatever the manufacturer calls it and the interior volume.

the PT crusier is an SUV. The Cullinan is a midsize station wagon

If it's an 'SUV' the interior volumes don't get listed either

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Zoe has quite a tall battery pack which wouldn't be ideal for a sports car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Kinda weird how it can charge the battery at something like a 9.6 kw rate while doing that, but the most it can do with its built in battery charger, when given 240v power and 40 amps, is about 3.12 kw.

That's not odd at all, AC charge rates are always limited by the size of the on onboard charger.

My Leaf can only charge at 3.3kw from AC but will regen almost 30kw in ideal conditions.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

cruft posted:

We got the leaf for my teenage daughter, not realizing it accelerates like a Jag. It's been difficult trying to explain that not every car accelerates like a bat out of hell, and she needs to learn how to negotiate with other drivers instead of just floor it.

Does it though? I know the Plus is much more powerful but the basic 40kwh version isn't exactly quick and the first gen is what could be described as 'sedate'.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So which EVs aren’t a risk for randomly catching fire in your driveway? The Bolt, Teslas, and the Kona have all had issues.

For all it's other problems I've never heard of a Leaf catching fire at all let alone while charging.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

cruft posted:

You could fix this with some good old gasoline

The last EV fire that was in the new around here was caused by the range extender in an i3 going up.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

CHAdeMO is all I've every used but it's definitely easy enough to do one handed. The only issue I've run into is too short cables on some chargers that are set back from the park (I don't know how you're supposed to connect a car that doesn't have the charge port on the front to those)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I appreciate this thread a lot because it teaches me things like I should really learn where the jack point is on my Leaf. The googles give me a lot of pre-2019 results and the car got a pretty big redesign that year, do y'all think it might still be the same despite that?

The redesign was in 2017 but they didn't actually change the body shell much, just the front and rear. I doubt the jacking points have moved.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I wish my Leaf would still regen effectively - having to ride the brakes on long downhills is so frustrating.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's an old car - as the battery degrades regen suffers and there is nothing that can be done about it. Same reason that fast charging speeds suffer, the battery just isn't capable of taking on power quickly any more.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The Leaf still does not have liquid cooling. Which is one of the reasons it might be a better idea to lease rather than buy.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

darnon posted:

Also the Kia Niro. At the upper end of your budget but its 239 mi range hits your round trip distance better than its Hyundai cousin.

The Kona has a bit more range (both stated and real world) at the expense of being a smaller car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

jackpot posted:

What I've been considering:
- Nissan Leaf Plus
- Hyundai Kona - it's not for sale in VA, which I'm ok with as long as it can be serviced somewhere local; I haven't found the answer to this yet.
- Hyunday Ioniq - same
- Tesla 3 - this is pushing the outside edge of what I can afford but quality-wise I feel like it's several steps above everything else. The stories around spotty quality spook me a bit.

I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of alternatives out, what am I missing?

Why?

Wild that in my part of the world the SR+ Model 3 would be almost the cheapest car on that list (the base Ioniq is a couple of thousand cheaper)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Lol 16,000 AUD for an early Leaf

Those would be worth like 6-7k NZD (and be overpriced at that)