Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Finger Prince posted:

An EV doesn't meet my needs because I take a long road trip a few times a year is the same reasoning as I need a pickup because I go to Home Depot to buy some wood a few times a year. And, well, they sell plenty of pickup trucks.
EV pickups are gonna be like that two red buttons panic meme.

Funny you mention this. I drove my Soul EV to Home Depot to rent a tree stump grinder and just rented an F250 from Home Depot for $19.95 to get it back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

bird with big dick posted:

did someone say they paid over MSRP for a Hyundai?

People have been paying thousands over sticker for palisades and tellurides for the past 18 months all over the country.

That’s what happens when supply is significantly lower than demand.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Its a roadkill fix straight from the factory

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

VideoGameVet posted:

I love the car, just have to find a bike rack that works with it and doesn't cost me when I turn in the lease. May go for a roof rack.

just pick up a seasucker rack, they work great and can go on any car you buy.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Kunabomber posted:

FWIW, BMW stalks have operated like this for at least 15 years. You get used to it. Or like a proper BMW owner, you dont use it :lol:

They actually started doing normal turn signals again a few years ago.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

1999 Ford Explorer
2006 Dodge Magnum SXT
2007 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
2013 Corvette Grand Sport
2014 Kia Optima SX
2016 Kia Sorento LX
2016 Mazda Miata
2017 Kia Soul EV
2020 MINI Cooper S 2dr
2021 BMW M550i
2022 BMW M440i Gran Coupe (arriving this month and replacing the M550)

I will be back in an EV in the future because I really liked that Soul EV. Given my car ADD it will probably be sooner than later.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

WhiteHowler posted:

The new EV tax credit rules hosed over dealerships that sell most foreign cars for the rest of 2022 (at least), and after all the markup shenanigans the last several months, I can't say I'm crying for them.

It’s mainly loving up things for customers who ordered their cars and haven’t taken delivery yet.

The dealers will still be able to sell the cars, it’s not like it was ever coming out of their pockets. If a customer backs out on an ordered car there will be someone else willing to buy an in stock EV without the tax credit because of the gas price shock that everyone just went through.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

I'm NFL O-line size.

In most cars, as long as they're not tiny and as long as they don't have totally poo poo ergonomics, I'll have enough head room and leg room. Then the next issue is always shoulder room. And whether or not I have enough shoulder room in a regular sized car (i.e. not a huge truck or SUV) is almost like a random event. I don't think it's because of better design I think it's just like the B pillar happens to be in the exact right spot or be the exact right thickness or have the exact right cutout on it's front edge or whatever. The Mach-e was always tight on my shoulders and so is the i4 but for some reason the Model 3 isn't.

The iX was insanely comfortable. If I get tired of the performance of the M3P I could see myself splurging on the iX just because of the comfort and luxury angle. Wish they made them in some better colors though their whole palette seems real muted. The red seems okay but I don't think I like it as much as Tesla's red.

One of the nice things about BMW is with a little bit extended wait time and typically ~$5-10k extra you can have nearly any color you want on your car.
https://www.bmwusa.com/innovations/bmw-individual.html#!%23special-order-paint

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow, that's crazy.

I'm picky about my car colors, but I don't think I'd pay anywhere near that much.

How many hours of work would you expect a properly done paint job to require? Its probably over 40 hours to remove trim and non painted surfaces, mask, sand, lay down primer/paint/clearcoat, then buffing it out before they are done. Figure a labor rate north of $100/hr and you're already over $5k before any material costs.

You don't want a cheap paint job because it means they probably skipped some important steps to save time.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Brake lights are great but if you need them to not hit the car ahead of you that is “crawling forward” then you’re not paying attention to the road.

Yeah, gas powered cars that are idling forward also wouldn't have their brake lights on.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

hobbez posted:

Yeah pretty sure it's a fairly big no-no to be taking deposits on a car that still has an active recall

It'll probably be fine but that's a little sketchy

It’s not weird or sketchy at all, they can take a deposit they just can’t sell it and have it roll off the lot until the recall is done.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

WLTP ranges are not accurate.

Yeah for reference the WLTP range for the ID4 with a 77kWh battery is listed as 517km (321mi) and the EPA rated range for it is 275mi for the 82kWh battery in the rwd pro.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Tortilla Maker posted:

Any cleaning product recommendations for glossy consoles?

Sprayway glass cleaner generally works well with that sort of thing.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s actually the opposite. Modern cars are extremely good and reliable relative to basically any time in history. There’s just a lot more small things that can go wrong because of the proliferation of features, and those small things get counted the same as the big things.

Its not even things going wrong a lot of the time. Every car brand I have worked for has a big push every year around IQS time to make sure all of the stupid things that you would expect people to be able to figure are explained in detail. Otherwise you will get someone giving an issue of them not knowing how to adjust the seat or steering wheel as an issue, or not understanding why an advanced safety feature is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

If anything the IQS study is probably a better indicator of what brands to a good job with ergonomics and human factors in their tech than actual outright reliability.

I'm sure there are plenty of non enthusiast tesla customers who end up getting frustrated with a UI issue in the first 3 months of ownership.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Tesla paint colors look extremely basic and flat. Like they cranked the RGB value to 255 0 0 and 0 0 255 to get red and blue.

I’d love to get something in forest green. I think Audis are the only cars I see in that color.

BMW has some nice green's in their portfolio too. If its not a regular color option you can get it added as an individual color for $5000 on most models.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Its also a super nice visual indicator that your car has in fact locked itself if nothing else

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Safety Dance posted:

My wife is in the market for a new car. She likes things approximately the size and shape of a Subaru Crosstrek, and I'm trying to steer her toward an EV or a PHEV (even though that's the moral equivalent of rolling coal in front of the local elementary school, according to some people in this thread), probably south of $40k after tax incentives. Am I missing any obvious options? Anything on this list I should definitely avoid?

FYI a Countryman SE will not be under $40k unless your local and state rebates are around $7,500.

It's also not a very good PHEV for doing PHEV things. It drives nicely but its not very efficient and you only get 15-18 miles of EV only range.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Normal Barbarian posted:

You'd think people would see how the Bolt is selling and want in on that.

e. Americans buy Golfs, right? Why not ID.2s?

e2. Call it a crossover. Call it an SUV if you have to.

This would be about 8" shorter than a Golf. Its even shorter than a Polo which we also don't get because its too small. The Bolt EUV would be 10" longer.

The ID.2 is going to be tiny

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Wayne Knight posted:

Write legislation to force insurance companies to account for additional external damage due to weight and additional likelihood of incidents due to reduced visibility. Talking out my rear end, but I'd bet insurance companies lump heavy, low visibility vehicles in with better ones to even out the premiums across their customers.

Lol if you think insurance companies don’t already use their actuarial data on accident costs to them to generate premiums or that they would discount a vehicle type that hurts their bottom line.

If it costs them money you will pay for it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Until the car I’m buying has native support for waze, carplay is a 100% must have.

I need to know where the state troopers are at on my commute.

No I am not just going to “drive the speed limit”

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Why not just use a phone holder?

Because I didn't pay $40k+ to have some jiggly rattily bullshit stuck to my cars windshield or dash when a completely functional, integrated and widespread option exists.

Its 2023, we have the technology!

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Finger Prince posted:

That's exactly what they're doing, per the Hyundai salesman I talked to. It's the inflation reduction act in action, attempting to lower the prices of some things.

It is definitely them trying to stay cost competitive.

BMW right now has a $7500 lease rebate on the i4 and iX for the same reason.

I'm sure a lot of the EV pricing was done with the assumption of the Federal tax credit being available to help soften the blow for customers and the mfg's are scrambling to stay competitive.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Just took delivery of a 2023 iX xdrive50 last night. AMA

We needed to upgrade to a larger car for my wife as we are having twins in a few months and 3 car seats do not fit in the back of her M440 GC. Luckily I work for a BMW dealership and they had a good deal available on the iX.

idrive 8 is weird but not bad. I wish the idrive controller had more tactile feedback like previous iterations of it but it is still functional. The seats are very comfortable and there is lots of back seat space. The trunk is decent sized but not as big as you would expect it to be. It is about as fast as the m440 gc 0-60 but in a very different EV way.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

mobby_6kl posted:

Does anyone make aftermarket bumpers for these?

Nope, but at least its not an XM's front end!

I'm probably desensitized to the iX bumper after having had the M440 GC for the last year and being around current gen BMW's all the time. Its really not that bad and the rest of the vehicle more than makes up for it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

With the questions about evse recommendations I looked up the cost of the Siemens versicharger that I bought in 2018 for like $595 and holy hell it’s over $1k for the exact same 30a wall charger :wtc:

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Speleothing posted:

Yes. EV trucks get a higher MSRP to still qualify for the tax rebate.

Also the last 20 years of advertising big trucks has just generally destroyed the US sedan segment to the point that it will take another 10 years to reverse the trend.

Pickups aren't what killed the sedan in the US. Its crossovers and more specifically compact crossovers.

Its also not going back to the way it was

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Tayter Swift posted:

Apartment dwellers with no home charging.

Waiting hours for a hydrogen fill up doesn't sound too different from having to DC fast charge once every week or so.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Duck and Cover posted:

I live with the assumption that everyone always gets screwed over at a car dealership. At best you can do better than others but almost never to the point where you're not getting screwed over. *shrugs* I'm just cynical like that.

Of of curiosity, how much gross profit do you think a car dealership should make on the sale of a new car?

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

pun pundit posted:

Nothing. Car salespeople should be paid a salary from the OEM, with no commission for sold product and be contractually bound to not make deals for commissions on third party products. They should receive a bonus for happy customers, measured after one year of ownership (or after a month for customers who decided not to buy). Their job should be to match people with the car they would be most happy to purchase and own.

I didn’t ask about what salespeople should make.

I asked about what a dealership’s margins on a product they sell should be. It’s a business, what should they make on a sale in gross profit. Pretend it’s a Saturn no price negotiation model

Let’s also just get this out there so we are clear. Car makers do not under any circumstance want to sell directly to customers and they don’t want to be responsible for directly servicing those vehicles. They don’t want to have to own the storefront and garages, they don’t want to have to have tens of thousands of additional employees to have to manage, they don’t want to have to have the produced cars sitting unsold on their books.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

QuarkJets posted:

Are you sure? What information are you using to draw this conclusion?

If it's actually the car makers who simply don't want to be bothered then it's pretty weird that dealerships lobbied to get direct sale to consumers banned in most states

Why on earth would they want to

Spend the massive amount of money to stand up and operate hundreds of retail locations across the country

Have to take the direct blowback for price hikes like when Rivian jacked the R1T’s price up $15k because they could.

Have to keep hundreds of thousands of cars on their books as they wait to sell them.

Add risk to their portfolio

Add tens of thousands of employees, some whom work in the service shop and are more likely to get hurt on the job.

Corporate America loves to outsource everything they can. Dealerships are them outsourcing their sales and servicing of their products. For better or worse.

My information is base off me having worked in the industry for the past decade.

Also if you think a factory owned direct sales scenario isn’t going to be pitching you on aftersales I don’t know what to tell you other then who do you think offers the financing, extended warranties, extended maintenance packages for a lot of brands. Hint, it’s the mfg’s financing company. They aren’t losing that revenue stream in some “dealers disappear” world.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

QuarkJets posted:

"Car makers do not under any circumstance want to sell directly to customers" was the claim - so why do makers sometime sell directly to customers anyway? And why did laws get passed in some states to stop this thing they, the car makers, supposedly don't want to do?

The only ones who sell direct are the ones that are new to the market and don’t have the ability to establish a dealer network or ones run buy a “move fast break stuff” tech bro who does a lot of things that run against industry “best practices” to be contrarian.

I would not be shocked to see in 10-20 years a company like Tesla move to a franchised dealer model. It may not function exactly the same as it does with other brands, but offloading a lot of the cost and responsibility to someone else is very appealing to big companies.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

QuarkJets posted:

Volvo has direct ordering. According to Google, Volvo was founded in 1927

Volvo even has a crazy program where they fly you to Sweden to take a tour of the factory and you drive off the property with your custom-ordered vehicle on temporary European plates. It's like they're offering the most direct possible ordering experience. You can set this up through a dealership if you want but you can also just do it through their website

Ordering off a website is not the same as not having a dealership. Everything with a Volvo website order is still processed and handled through a Volvo dealership. They don’t have dealerships and separate factory stores.

Euro car companies have had a euro delivery option for years, that’s not some unique thing that Volvo does nor is it something that cuts out the local dealership from the process.

You also are absolutely not getting any form of discounts other than mfg rebates when you order a car online like that. You pay for the convenience of not having to go into a dealer.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

morothar posted:

I have bad news if y’all think that things will return to ‘normalcy’. Supply constraints for automotive have largely been resolved, but manufacturing cost structures are still calibrated to lower volumes.

Because for the time being, most automakers have figured out that you make more money selling one $50K car at 15% Gross Margin than selling several $35K cars at 5%.

Sooner or later, some genius will remember that you can boost short-term profits through higher manufacturing absorption (produce more than planned at marginal cost) and then have to dump the cars under msrp, but that will take a few budget cycles.

There’s a long term scenario where automakers suffer from pricing out customers, but that’s not going to drive prices down that fast. Seeing the insane willingness and ability (for now) of most people to stretch their car notes, I’m not holding my breath.

EDIT: there absolutely are instances where you can get a deal on specific makes & models - typically where there is a mismatch between minimum capacity load and demand. But the trick becomes finding those AND wanting / settling for that particular model

This is wrong, things are getting better but inventories are still a far cry from pre pandemic levels.

Dealership sales is very much driven by inventory levels. The car makers do set bonus goals that will almost always outstrip the motivation to make gross on an individual car. If inventories are high the bonus goal will be high. If that means the dealership makes an extra $500-$750-$1000 per unit if they hit their stairstep they will do what they need to do to make that happen. If its blowing out the in stock cars, they aren't going to hesitate. If your dealership has a 200 car sales target and there is $500 per car riding on it that's an extra $100k in profits. No individual sale is going to make that up if you are on track to fall short.

That said if demand is still there and willing to shoulder market adjustments while still allowing dealers to hit their bonus goals then they will stay, but automakers have a reasonable idea of what demand should be and they will adjust targets to match that.

There are other non dealership factors that drive higher prices right now. Car makers in many cases have raised MSRP's and are still soft on rebates to adjust for their higher production and shipping costs, interest rates are also way up for both finance and lease as well. Its not all dealership market adjustment that is making things expensive.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

QuarkJets posted:

The goalposts are moving so fast here that they may break the sound barrier, holy smokes

Well the original question was how much money should a dealership make on one car sale, so yes we are way off the original topic.

Looking at Volvo's US website it doesn't even look like they have a "BUY HERE ONLINE" function. It just gives you the option to send your preferred build to a local dealer for them to take over on like every other automakers website. There car subscription service doesn't even show any available cars online and just refers you to your local dealership. Crazy, a legacy automaker defaulting to their dealer network to support sales instead of trying to do it directly.

Anyway EV related content my wife's new iX has returned about 2.75mi/kwh over her first two weeks of ownership with mostly short and local trips with her taking absolutely no consideration to driving efficiently. She hasn't started using the high brake regen mode yet so really not bad considering the EPA rated range is calculated off of an efficiency of ~3mi/kwh.

kill me now fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 13, 2023

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Finger Prince posted:

I think it's just a byproduct of it being peelable paint. What you lose in finish quality you make up for in cost, convenience, and cool finishes.

You also cant wet sand then buff it out to even things out like you can with real paint.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

VideoGameVet posted:

Hey question. I have a 3 year lease on a Kia EV ending in August. The buyout is about $20k and I see these (year and miles) selling for $30k. How do I best manage this?

Keep the car?
Trade it in at the dealership and try to drive a good deal?
Buy it and trade it in at a different dealership?

It’s pretty much flawless although I did get hit by a red-light runner. Insurance went to a dealer approved shop and laid out $10k to fix it. That could affect resale.

One reason the buyout is low is that when I got it, I was commuting from San Diego to LA once a week. So I leased at 15k miles a year. But it only has 30k miles since that ended. Kia warranty is very good. I believe 7 years and 100k miles on the battery.

If retail is ~$30k then ~$25k would probably be a reasonable trade value if it had a clean car fax. Since it has an accident you’re probably looking at getting $22-$20k for it.

But see what you can get just don’t expect to have $10k in equity from it.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

VideoGameVet posted:

I have some concern that if I just turn it in, they will hit me with a fee because of the accident.

There should not be any fee if the vehicle was properly repaired. The only lease end costs you could have would be the disposition fee, for any dents or scratches on the car, scraped wheels, cracked or chipped windshield, low tire tread depth or brake depth.

As long as the car is physically straight and you are under mileage you should just be paying your dispo fee.

The bank builds in profit expecting that a certain percentage of leases they take back in will have a bad car fax. It’s a cost of doing business and is why leases have thing like acquisition and disposition fees.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Failson posted:

Just a caution on this - It's still completely dependent on the dealer. If they're cooperating, it can be a big savings without haggling, but it's not going to make a lousy dealer into a good one.

There is also no actual binding agreement between the dealer and costco. They can chose to not honor it at any time. It also often excludes high demand vehicles and a lot of dealers have stopped bothering with even offering costco pricing through the pandemic shortages.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

cruft posted:

Oh, good, GM is introducing yet another massive EV.

If I didn't know any better I'd think they had suddenly decided to follow the Tesla model of making really expensive EVs before they make cheap ones.

You mean the company that has had a small inexpensive EV for years? If anything they are doing the opposite of Tesla and making the cheap ones first and now switching over to expensive huge ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

Three Olives posted:

I guess I just think it is wild that dealers are not spending a moment thinking of the many reasons EVs would be very appealing to consumers, they just skip to look at all these dumb dumbs rolling wheel barrels full of cast to buy basically a glorified Power Wheels.

This is definitely dealers being dumb, but there is typically a significant investment in facility updates and training for dealers to sell EV's.

I know my dealership has installed a number of level 2 chargers and a pair of level 3 chargers so we can have cars charged up for deliveries. On top of that they have also had to send tech's away for high voltage and EV training on the service side.

If your Billy Bob of Billy Bob's FORD TRUCKS dealership and you think that EV's are a lieberal conspiracy and a joke then you aren't going to want to spend $100k plus equipping your dealership to sell a few Mach-E's and Lightenings a month.

Smart dealer principals of course will see the writing on the wall and will get ready for the future instead of waiting.