Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, its really weird to say that the public is entitled to their internal documents, and development work. Not only would they have to check that everything is legally ok to share, they'd have to provide a place to download it. Not to mention that a lot of stuff is lower quality, and not meant for public consumption. There is also a question of how old does something have to be before they release it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ColdPie posted:

No, it isn't. Human culture is shared. You can't stop it. The idea that some entity can control our shared culture is bizarre attempt to undermine that fact. Throughout all of history humans shared stories and art and built on (and, yes, profited from) others' work. Copyright is a compromise where we agree to temporarily give them control of some of our culture in order for the creator to benefit from their work. It's only very recently that we decided megacorporations should be able to own our culture indefinitely. Our current effectively-infinite-length copyright term is less than fifty years old and, in my opinion, hugely detrimental to our culture. The original length of a copyright was up to 28 years.

I agree that Nintendo has no obligation to release this information, and that releasing it is probably more immoral than moral. However, don't be fooled into thinking copyright is some natural law. It's not. We made it up, and we can change it if it isn't working for us.

Even if there was no copyright law, they'd be under no obligation to release this information, and it still would be illegal to obtain it. Copyrights last too long, and it shouldn't be illegal to bypass DMCA, but it isn't really relevant to the situation at hand.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Friend posted:

The only thing harder than searching though all these files is searching through twitter and discords trying to figure out how people turned txt files into 3d models

Obviously they just changed the extension to .3d

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

There's a tradeoff either way, so it depends on what you consider "best" in terms of graphics. The 3DS has way higher poly models, but it's also in a lower resolution than even OG N64. The higher resolution and textures of the HD pack might balance that out for you, but personally I think the remake looks way nicer even at a lower resolution. If you're playing the remake on an actual 3DS rather than emulating it, the resolution won't be an issue, though.

The fan-made Mario 64 PC version that came out recently seems like the ideal way to play that game, but there's nothing like that for OoT (yet?).

e: Question: presumably some day fans could make a Dolphin or CEMU-like emulator which gives 3DS titles a resolution bump, right?

There is a 4k fan patch for 3ds zelda. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSL44vYLx2c

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pretty good posted:

I am currently daydreaming about playing this on a giant simulated 3D screen with a VR headset

Citra does have VR support, but I dunno how well it would work with the 4k patch, if its possible. I know that you can definitely play Zelda OoT in VR in some form.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

Snuck out of europe? Did you guys not get the extra OoT disc with Wind Waker? drat.

Best Buy didn't have the disc in stock, even though I preordered.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pretty good posted:

So uh has the content well run dry now or what

I assume that all the big stuff has probably been found now (unless there is like a design document hidden somewhere), but I imagine there is some smaller cool stuff to be found. Also, I heard speculation that that there might be even more stuff that is going to be leaked, but I dunno if that is credible or not.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Nintendo is not exactly well known for keeping a close eye on its official manga. Some pretty weird poo poo can be put into them, like what the Pokemon manga was like before it a become a huge hit. The comic is fine, its just having some fun. No need to get morally outraged, she isn't portrayed as a badass bounty hunter 100% of the time.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 16, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo_WgbUfNxc

The way that people managed to sideload an entire operating system onto graphing calculators is really ingenious. It's total bullshit that kids today still have to pay a premium to use what is now a 25 year-old model of calculator because schools are too authoritarian to let them just use infinitely more powerful phones they already own but the one upside is that it means there's still a small community of young developers continuously springing up so you get things like a fanmade calculator port of Five Nights at Freddy's

https://www.cemetech.net/downloads/files/1250/x1250

If kids could use their cell phones, there is no way there wouldn't be a bunch of cheaters.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm more talking about using cell phones to message other people than using more advanced programs. Its dumb they don't allow more advanced calculators.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

cirus posted:

Hope these assets can be added to ROM hacks!

They probably won't be because then that gives Nintendo a justification for taking down the hack since it contains their intellectual property. Rom hacks avoid this issue by patching an existing rom, so they don't actually contain anything made by Nintendo.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I'm curious about the last boss. I remember thinking it was dumb that the dude you thought would be the last boss was actually super easy, and then you just fought Andross instead.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's cool. I can't imagine all the cool things that earlier versions of MM may have had, that game already has so many little details as it is.
My bet is that a lot of the game was just spent waiting around, so they compressed the timeline and there is more going on at any given time.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Violet_Sky posted:

I always knew that Mario had a gun

I mean that isn't a secret, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG_06S2harg

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

They do this kinda thing cause the right holders sell the options to make Movies/TV to people contingent on the basis that they'll actually use it to make them both profit. If the studios decide they want to keep the rights, but don't expect it to make them real dosh they release that kind of nonsense to be within the letter of the contract.

reminds me of that time FXX, released an awful pilot for Wheels of time in the middle of night with zero advertising just to fulfill contractual obligations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I mean the huge leak revealed that Nintendo is literally storing things on tapes, some of which are no longer working.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Warbird posted:

Did the developed but canned Mega Man Legends 3 demo/prototype ever turn up anywhere? Or is 3DS stuff too recent to start showing up in the recent leaks?

Aside from hackers, the usual way these things get out there is from someone dying or a company going out of business and a copy getting out because there was nobody around that knew what it was.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

That NoClip video about the history of Arkane shows gameplay footage of LMNO. I think I probably would have liked to play it if had actually come out. I wonder if the game used discrete hand-chosen moments to influence your relationship with the alien or if they happened dynamically during the gameplay. If it was the latter, I could see it being annoying to play, so maybe that was why it was cancelled.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

“In June” yeah right

That's feasible if they want to make it easily buildable/playable on modern systems. I just hope they were able to cover their tracks well.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Would be much more interesting games if Link was a girl. As a non Zelda fan, those games give me extremely rapey and predatorial vibes with this child running around

If you get that vibe, the problem is with you.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

You could implement the majority of the features of Discord with just an IRC client. Discord replaced IRC because they made it user friendly. Most IRC clients have an interface straight out of the 90s.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

IRC - both the clients and the daemons - seems like the 90s because it's a product of the time period that affected things designed in the 90s.
One thing the IRC protocol would have to solve is the ability to scale to the kinds of userbases that modern networks deal with - and that's simply not something you can do on a volunteer basis.

I'm also not sure I'd like it if IRC became that popular, as it'd change things to make them nigh-unrecognizable.

Even at its peak, IRC only had about 6M users globally - and nowadays there's about 200k users, and that's been the global usercount for way more than a decade.
So unless you're saying that Discord, at its inception, could handle the exponential user growth unlike any service has ever seen when it's initially started, there's definitely a piece missing from the puzzle.

Having it is a convenience - but I'd love to see statistics of just how many people actually use that functionality vs how many people self-report as having used it.
I know I don't use it, beyond /backlog debdrup in case someone's hilighted me; client-side it generates a bell event, while server-side could very easily do that tracking for me.
Funnily enough, it's already been tried - that's what MemoServ and services like that are for, but nobody used them then, and nobody uses them now.

Yes obviously the IRC clients look the way they do because that was the style at the time they were developed, but they don't have to look that way. My entire point is that you could make a modern looking IRC client with a lot of the features discord had without even having to touch the servers.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

tithin posted:

did that ever end up getting leaked?

Half-life 2 beta got leaked before the game even came out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

tithin posted:

Resident Evil 1.5, I mean.

That got leaked too, despite multiple assholes trying to keep it for themselves. First a guy who would only post videos and images of it, and then a mod team that only wanted to release a modded version. It ended up showing up randomly on eBay and got released.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The actual answer is probably tapes. The leaks at Nintendo revealed that was at least the case for them, and at least some of them had failed at this point.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Jazerus posted:

the CGI is probably a legit concern in the early CD era in the sense that you might need to spend a slightly-above-trivial amount of money instead of an extremely trivial amount of money. the assets and sound are obviously bigger than the code itself but i was including those in "final source code", i should have made that explicit tho. it does not change my evaluation of the reasons behind lack of preservation at all, nor does the change in medium from drives to tapes - the resources you would need to spend are not significant even if you saved all of the assets 10x over except in extreme corner cases

i mean, obviously. that is exactly what i said! they, i.e. the corporations as entities, did not care (because there wasn't perceived profit in it)

Its not necessarily profit, people are also just lazy/have a schedule to deal with.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

sigher posted:

I wonder if it was less of issue of companies actually storing poo poo, but just the media/computers those copies were put on just disappeared with time. I used to burn discs of poo poo I had on my PC because I would often run out of storage in the late 90s and early 2000s, a lot of that stuff was old Half-Life 1 Mods, with tons of custom made models and map packs... all of those discs are probable a goldmine to behold but gently caress if they even exist anymore and if I have them. Maybe the same happened with those game devs too?

I mean that's a common issue with archiving. It doesn't matter if you back-up everything if you have to search through a poorly organized warehouse to find it. Its not unheard of something that was thought to be lost to turn up in some random box somebody found.

It was one of the main reasons the Star Trek the Next Generation restoration was so expensive.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Pretty good posted:

My holy grail from that gen has gotta be Rogue Squadron Trilogy for Wii. Which was reportedly finished and ready for release! But has never leaked out in any form, no matter how slight.

Considering Wii's tendency to require motion controls and the poor implementation of such, I could imagine a reason why it wasn't released beyond just licensing reasons. Granted, it sucks if it was only because licensing issues.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s gotta be a way to get around 25 year old security.

Yeah, but you only get one shot to get it right.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

There was also a modding group of assholes that refused to release a rip of their copy without their changes in it, which might have taken a very long time for them to finish and who knows if they would ever release an unmodified version. I believe they got really mad when somebody also had a copy of the same version and released it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Yep, Jeff Gerstmann posted as much on bluesky. When Danny said that they were able to rescue one of the biggest collections of tapes I half expected it to pan to "Hi my name is Jeff and welcome to my garage".

https://bsky.app/profile/jeffgerstmann.com/post/3jznk2oy36b2k

for those who don't have access to bluesky what does the post say?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

A whole bunch of Insomniac stuff leaked. https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/18lvqor/insomniac_leaks_compilation/. There is a bunch of info on a WIP wolverine game and a bunch of other interesting documents too.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah i'd say the insominac hack is outside of the purpose of this thread

The thread was originally about the Nintendo gigaleak. Its just expanded in scope.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

there's an ongoing fundraiser "to pay someone for the release of 10 builds of a Shantae game". the going price is something like $1250 total, which as someone who has purchased a fair few prototypes, is what i would classify as "a steal". (don't tell them this.)

really excited to see when (not if, hopefully) these get out. i have no particular interest in shantae, but wayforward stuff has always been on my radar since i found out about the "wf code" they put into a bunch of their games :v:

(e: i am not endorsing this fundraiser and am not aware if i know anyone involved)

what is the "wf code"?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s so sad that the reformed FR weren’t even able to release an HD port of something before being canned.

Looking forward to seeing whatever that discovery is.

well there is that one hidden in Homefront.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

The game wasn't finished, so it might have just been a placeholder.