Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You probably should, what with the pandemic and all.

Considering the poo poo the director's wheeled out defending his casting of Bobby, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie...crash and burn. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Honestly, I'm not sure which they should go in Black Panther 2. While T'Challa as a character is absolutely important both in and out of universe, at the same time that seems intrinsically tied to Boseman's own performance and I think it'd be extremely difficult to handle recasting him. It'd be like recasting RDJ or Evans, only with the addition of the cultural cachet that he represented on top of that.

In other news, it kind of turns out there's a shitload of racism in New Mutants?
https://twitter.com/dianandonna/status/1299793644107554817?s=20
(It's a thread).

Apparently Storm was supposed to be the villain at one point, too. How did this movie even come to be? I get it's like a time capsule of when it was made, but that was only like 4 years ago.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

There's lot's of good arguments about Recasting versus Continuing on with new characters.

My gut instinct is Marvel will take the cowards way out and go with none of them.

Instead they'll just buy time by setting Black Panther 2 in the timeframe after Infinity War but before Endgame. You've got most of the cast of Wakanda still alive, but canonically T'Challa is dead at this point.

Then if they want to setup Shuri as the next Black Panther, they can sow the seeds for it here.

Alternatively, they go full Face/Off and say that T'Challa is in a horrible accident and they have to take Killmonger's face and put it on his body. Now T'Challa is played by Michael B. Jordan and everyone pretends to be cool with it.
Shuri was established as getting Snapped in Endgame.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fangz posted:

I suppose Batman's mask *does* fail to cover up his mouth...
Didn't they just put out an animated PSA that made this exact point?

Hakkesshu posted:

Wonder if this will lead to mandatory cancer screenings on studio productions
I'd have thought they would have contingencies for a sudden death, at least for cinematic universes. What if an actor gets hit by a bus? Or you know, gets COVID?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Endless Mike posted:

Movie TVA please

Didn't Loki show up in a TVA jumpsuit in one of the teasers for the various upcoming Disney+ series? So it could well be getting established in Loki.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Bring back all(*) the Netflix leads if they have a story for them.

*well, not Danny

Throw in Cloak and Dagger and I’m in.

We can probably skip Runaways (then again that show’s problems weren’t really the actors’ fault).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alhazred posted:

Isn't this like saying that Blade should be in at least three movies before any vampires appear? I'm honestly kinda tired off everything needing a long build up.

Blade was fighting vampires from issue one. The Dark Phoenix Saga happened long after Jean had been an X-Men. You need to establish her as her own character before that point.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wasn't one of her requirements for showing up in Dark Phoenix was to get the guy who did The Last Stand back as writer/director? Maybe that was meant to be a demand that the studio would refuse and let her out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lager posted:

He's not fun. At all. He's just there to be the fascist for Green Arrow to rail against.

I thought that was Hal Jordan's job?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jake Johnson is the best movie Peter Parker Spider-Man*. I will take no further questions.

*I'm counting Spider-Man Noir as his own thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nemesis_hub posted:

I thought I was the only one! Imagine, say, Young Avengers or something done that way.

Glad I’m not the only one who thought Garfield had potential vs Maguire’s weirdo and Holland’s “aw geez aw shucks” energy. The best Spider-Man movie so far, I think we can all agree, is probably Spider-Man 2, but for me they still haven’t nailed the hard to describe feel of the best Spider-Man comics: emotional warmth, exuberance, humour, with an undercurrent of tragedy and sense that this guy, who mostly is affable and funny, also has some edge to him and if you squint at him, in some moments, could be creepy and offputting cause he literally crawls on walls.

That's an odd way of spelling Into The Spider-Verse.

Yeah, I said it. :colbert:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Was waiting two whole pages for someone to finally say the truth. Jake Johnson probably has the best Peter Parker voice ever.
I mean, Chris Pine also did some great work with his like 6 lines and Spidey Bells.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Do we think we might see MacGuire or Garfield, too?

You could also have Isaac as Miguel, I suppose. Or hell, Johnson as Peter B. Parker.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know it’s a movie thing but it absolutely killed me how everyone constantly took off their magical masks to show their face dieting the fight in Endgame. You’re in the middle of a fight don’t take off your helmet we learned this in Starship Troopers forever ago

I mean, I don't know if Star-Lord or Spidey would have seen Starship Troopers...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

New Wave Jose posted:

Yeah I knew who Mysterio was so I rejected any multiverse angle right away

I mean, Spider-Men had 616 Mysterio doing his thing in the Ultimate Universe, so there was some precedent.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

STAC Goat posted:

That would be my hope for it. I'm not too bothered by people saying it starts bad since I suspect if its ANY good it will be in a second half "twist" of embracing the demonic/horror stuff. But I've got pretty low expectations for it. Hulu's Marvel stuff hasn't been great and its basically just some weird thing that survived the old MCU shift into the new one.

Hey, Runaways is...Runaways, but Cloak & Dagger is great. :colbert:

Although yeah, not exactly optimistic about Helstrom.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FlamingLiberal posted:

This series comes off like those older movies and series that almost seemed embarrassed of the source material. I thought we had moved past that with superhero stuff but I guess not.

It's especially weird, considering that even the Hulu stuff had moved past that point, given that the latter seasons of Runaways (and all of Cloak & Dagger) had mystical elements as key plot elements.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If anyone else is in the UK, ITSV has finally been added to Netflix!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Karma Tornado posted:

I feel like that happened in Fraction's Punisher run

It happened in Spencer's ASM run, too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

You know now I think about it, No Way Home kind of seems to be taking cues from JMS' issue #500 story, only with Peter getting bounced round the Multiverse instead of through his own timeline.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OnimaruXLR posted:

busiek is frequently right about things in regards to comic books

I mean, he seemed to oppose the Spider-Marriage IIRC, so he's not right all the time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regarding the provenance of the 10 rings: it could also be setting up for The Eternals, right? Some of the effects for the ring reminded me of the stuff in the Eternals trailer. Maybe Phastos made them at some point in his long life and Wenwu came to possess them. Shang-Chi might have accidentally summoned the Celestials.

Also is it me or do you guys think that Ta Lo is in the same dimension as K'un-L'un?

Also I like how they leave it open about whether Shang & Katy get together. I was expecting it to happen but they just had her taking his arm at the end. I respect that they're leaving it open. I think they had good chemistry.

And we got to learn a whole lot more about Wong's inner life, apparently being sparring buddies with the Abomination and down for some karaoke. We should all be more like Wong.

Also, Katy's a better Hawkeye than Clint, I'm just going to say it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

"Oh, that's where I left those."

Actually now I think about it we saw Phastos looking distraught in some ruins in the trailer didn't we? And the rings gave Wenwu immortality. Maybe Phastos made them for his mortal lover so the two of them could be together forever, but things went awry and he (the lover) died and the rings were taken.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

I think getting rid of the rings quickly would be a good idea, because Shang Chi is much cooler as a guy who's so good at kung fu he can hang with superpowered heroes.

Despite being the title of the movie, the rings are not the goal and only indirectly drive the plot. It's not the same as the stupid way Infinity War invalidated all of Thor's growth in Ragnarok, Shang Chi can just toss the rings aside and nothing is lost.

I mean given what they represent to him (his dad turning his back on his children in the name of power after his wife's death), I'm pretty sure Shang Chi's not going to be using the rings himself unless it's an absolute emergency. Maybe he'll leave them with Wong until they figure out their whole deal.

I'm just kind of hoping we get an unannounced Tony Leung cameo in Eternals at this point, since even if the rings have nothing to do with them he's one of the only characters who could conceivably interact with them over their long history (I mean there's what, the Ancient One and the Asgardians?). And I want more Xu Wenwu.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Desperado Bones posted:

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1450202814592937991

OKAY
I need fan speculations! Pronto!

I'll start and get it out of the way: We see a cameo of Mephisto!

Wasn’t the last time that happened literally all the way back in 2008 with Iron Man?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Now I think about it, it’s probably mutants, right?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

twistedmentat posted:

I thought that was a funny moment where Depowered Electro is talking to Garfield and says "you help a lot of poor people, you're from queens, i thought you were black" and Garfield says "there's probably a black spider-man out there somewhere. Miles confirmed in MCU, gimme them now

Also I was thinking that when everyone goes back to their own universes, they'll have different timelines that they probably won't die, unless they were taken seconds before they died, and well, there's not much they can do about that

I think that was a reference to the campaign to cast Donald Glover as Spidey for the ASM movies that ultimately led to Miles' creation.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Retro Futurist posted:

I do take some issue with that, I get it was for story purposes and everything but Strange could have totally put like a 2 mile safety zone there, or even just left his own memory so they could deal with it later. It's one of those things you just have to not think about too much

Except that the botched spell was tearing reality several new ones at that very moment so there wasn't time for nuance.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

Statue of Liberty to honour all the Avengers but they accidentally make an idol of Taskmaster.

Or it becomes the Super-Adaptoid.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

hiddenriverninja posted:

A lot of theorizing on the internet that the Venom is actually set in the ASM universe.

That could work. (NWH Spoilers) I mean given all the villains came from the Tobeyverse or Garfieldverse, that'd make sense.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

I mean notably Electro never found out Peter was Spider-Man in ASM2. He only finds out in No Way Home. It's the whole reason for the Miles joke.

He does talk about downloading a bunch of data right as he become energy, and he heard Peter call to Gwen by name, so maybe he pieced it together right at the very end. Maybe he was talking about thinking that Spider-Man was black, not knowing he was Peter Parker. I mean, there's also the possibility he didn't know Peter was white (in his universe) until he took his mask off at the end.

Edit:

Arist posted:

I was mostly fine with the Shang-Chi climax but I really wish the Ten Rings had been like, destroyed or something. Don't like that he just has them now and isn't just a martial arts guy.
I imagine he won't be using them all that often.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 30, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Aphrodite posted:

The one bit of executive meddling we do know about Spider-Verse (it's even on the wikipedia page for it) was positive. One exec fought to keep them from cutting down Gwen's role significantly.

Wasn't there also an exec who fought against putting Miles & Gwen together romantically, arguing that if it's going to happen it should be after they know each other for more than 1 movie. Which, honestly makes sense.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

What poor Sony employee had to trawl through the list of C-list spider-man adjacent characters they had rights to to make movies about in this desperate effort to grab a chunk of MCU cash?
The list actually exists and (an earlier version of) it is apparently out there on Wikileaks.

I'm waiting for the Spindrifter movie.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Give me a Spindrifter movie, Sony you cowards! She could actually support plots other than the one she appeared in!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d have to rewatch Loki, but iirc it’s presented as if the Prime Timeline branching off into the multiverse means that all those universes have simultaneously existed for all of time now, ie they didn’t just start in the “present” of the MCU and go from there.

You could say they've existed...for all time, always.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

probably a bad example since nobody saw morbius period

Hey I'll get around to it, OK? They just need to re-release in theatres a few more times and I'm sure I'll be able to fit it into my schedule.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about the trans representation with Axl. I don't know if they got a trans actor, but that's definitely what the were going for, right? Because the last I checked, Astrid was a girl's name. It sweet they had Heimdall recognise his son's gender identity in the post-credits scene.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cassie had that look in the MC2 universe before Kate was even created. :colbert:

live with fruit posted:

The official synopsis mentions "intervening world powers."
We even saw what clearly appeared to be US soldiers boarding a Wakanda ship and holding the crew at gunpoint.

I'm still kind of hoping we somehow get Queen Divine Justice from Priest's run as the next BP/Queen of Wakanda. But I guess they're not doing that.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Calaveron posted:

I'd be OK if a future marvel movie takes place near the dead celestial and it's just in the background and no one comments on it

Clearly it'll be the MCU's version of Avengers Island/Avengers Mountain.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

But that person didn't mention Runaways at all?

Just kidding we all know it's Cloak and Dagger. For real.

:hmmyes:

That was some of the best casting they ever did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

What if...it's introducing and killing off Logan in one movie and Dafne Keen is the MCU's Wolverine going forward?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 27, 2022