Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

sponges posted:

This Vikings team is the worst since those dark Ponder years.

Worse. It's going to take a decade to climb out of the Cousins Contract hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Nah, it's a different baseball tradition...giving up at the All-Star break and trading away everyone you can.

I'd like to say it's about "Tanking for Trevor," but I doubt they can catch the Jets. So, it's probably just cutting payroll. Expect more soon.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Minor league baseball is basically the best gameday experience you can get.

One of the things about living in Madison I miss the most is going to Mallards games.

College football is up there. In Madison, anyway.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Speaking of old baseball traditions... it used to be common for teams to trade a player but to continue paying part of their salary. Can you do that in football? E.g., the Vikings pay Cousins $15 million per year to go away and Team X pays him $10 million per year to actually be their quarterback?

In most cases, it's probably easier to cut the under-performing player, but most players don't have guaranteed contracts....

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

There's no real reason to replace Cousins right now. He's the current best option at QB and he's paid for. In you need to bring in a guard to help fix the line (Quinton Spain is unsigned as far as I know) and ride out the season.

He's fine, just way too expensive. Bad moneyball.

(In fairness, that's always been my complaint about Cousins. The Vikings should have signed one of their other mediocre QB's at $15 million/year instead. Their receiving corps was good enough to make anyone all-pro)

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Darth Brooks posted:

Man, I can't see them trading Harrison Smith. He's basically Zimmer's alter ego on the field. If you're even going to pretend to be good next season why give him up?

They need to free up cap space to get Dak Prescott?

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

OxySnake posted:

Agreed that that article was very heavy on the sky is falling, but the current situation isn't as dire as the article appears.

While the Cousins contract is a bad I dont think it was their worst move,

I suppose the Hershel Walker trade *was* worse...

IMHO, both moves were horrible for similar reasons. In both cases, the execs became convinced that they were "one piece away" and then paid a kings ransom for something that looked like that piece. The problem is that this isn't the way football works. Worse, in both cases, the actual moves they made were closer to (below average) --> (above average) than to (below average) --> (elite).

I think the article is correct that the original sin has been forcing a long string of other moves...such that the overall effect will extend long past Cousins's tenure.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Endless Trash posted:

Vikings win the NFCN congratulations you scrappy little fuckers

Unfortunately, I'm not sure the Vikings' coaching staff and the Vikings' GM are on the same page there.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

WHO THE gently caress IS FIGHTING THIS?!!!

I suppose it depends on who (or what) exactly the Texans are asking for in return.

After the Viking game, I suppose someone could be thinking "it's time to tear it down and start the rebuilding process." e.g., Fuller for Rodgers...to give Love more snaps ;-)

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Falconer posted:

To add on to this, Michigan was favored by multiple touchdowns over their in-state rival (Michigan State University) after U of M won comfortably in their first game of the season against Minnesota and MSU lost to a team that was the conference punching bag ever since they joined the conference (Rutgers). Michigan proceeded to lose to MSU, never had the lead at any point, and so far is the only win of MSU's season. Michigan followed up on what is arguably the worst loss of Harbaugh's U of M coaching career by getting easily handled by a team they hadn't lost to in decades (Indiana) then getting pounded 49-11 by a team (Wisconsin) that had, due to COVID, not played a game in almost a month.

Better yet, Harbuagh is one of the highest paid coaches in all of college football and has nothing of real substance to show for it. No division titles, no conference titles, zero wins over their primary rival (Ohio State) including a few losses where Ohio State beat the brakes off of them... all of that failure over the span of six years.

In fairness, he moved them from below-average to above-average (three 10 win seasons) quicker than I expected. I think everyone forgets just how horrible they were under Rodriguez and how mediocre they were under Hoke

That said, he's being paid *huge* money to make them elite, not just above-average.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

fennesz posted:

I was really surprised at that as well. At the very least just get the guys to the line and throw a quick one to Davante at the sideline. You either get 8+ yards or it's incomplete and the clock stops.

Maybe 20 years ago... In today's NFL, you can't snap a football without pointing at the defenders for awhile, then faking a snap, then pointing for another five seconds.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Jaire Alexander stats

That's an MVP quality season, particularly given the modern meta-game (though I also kind-of wonder how teams value a traditional shutdown corner vs. an interception machine nowadays).

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Comfortador posted:

The reason I continue to support the Lions is the reason I would never kill myself. Hear me out. The moment I give up in either case, something completely wacky will happen that would make me regret my decision. Of course with death... I'd never know, but everyone else would so it's enough.

As someone who divorced the Vikings awhile back... it's unexpectedly fun to root against the local team. Post game sports talk shows after a loss are real hoots.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

What better way to gain the respect of the locker room than having a coaching staff comprised entirely of former NFL players who actually knew what it's like to play on the field?

If the NBA is any guide, those old players will all grouse about the current generation/game being too soft.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Slick Rick is gonna get a 1st and every pick in the 7th round for Cousins

Book it.

If you're right, we'll see the NFL adopt some version of the Ted Stepien Rule in 2022.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

R.D. Mangles posted:

who is the questionable quarterback who is not very good that you are pinning your hopes on? Me, I'm a Minshew man. My dad, on the other hand, thinks the Bears should look into Ryan Fitzpatrick Very Strongly.

Nah, double down on Bears Football(tm). Draft 1-2 additional running QBs (should be cheap). Run the read option, treating all three (plus Trubisky) as semi-disposable. Try to win games 10-7.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

ghosthorse posted:

This is what bugs me the most about his play, too many drives turn into three and outs because he curls up under pressure and takes the sack. This preseason they talked up his training and building towards being faster and scrambling when the pocket breaks but he only really ever ran on designed plays. Every other time when the pocket collapsed he just took the hit and never tried to take off or throw under pressure. His stats look better because he plays more conservatively than he votes.

In fairness, after those first few games, the coaching staff could have told him to stop forcing the action.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It was a hallmark of the Patricia era that the team would keep trying to do things we simply weren't good at (run the ball) while ignoring the things we were good at (passing), so it would not surprise me in the slightest if this extended down to how they coached the individual players.

In fairness, that describes most* NFL coaches. To find a coach who will change "their system" based on their players' strengths (vs. just get different players), you almost need to go to the college/high school ranks.

*Belichick being the notable exception.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

Running out of coaches to hire based on the nfl's stringent hiring criteria of white nepotism.

Speaking of which, what exactly is the logic behind the Vincent rule? Given the zero-sum nature of pro sports, giving your competitors 2 extra picks seems like a huge disincentive to actually hiring minority coaches.

Maybe it works earlier in the process i.e., "you should hire minority coordinators because, if they turn out to be good, you won't have to pay them market rate to keep them"??

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

GNU Order posted:

this should be every NFL team's plan, if they don't have the QB

It makes sense. If you don't have an elite QB, at least use a cheap one on a rookie deal.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

MJeff posted:

Did he? I didn't watch the Titans much this year but when I have seen them, new Tannehill kinda looks a lot like old Tannehill when Derrick Henry isn't doing Derrick Henry things.

See also the Vikings skill positions that made Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford , and Case Keenum all look All-Pro..

Keenum(!) was even the subject of some MVP talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

I wish the NFL could grant the Vikings an exception so that they could cut this fuckstick without a penalty to the rest of the team for doing what's just basic human decency by protecting the rest of their players.

That would be an interesting way out of the Viking's Kirk-related Moneyball death spiral:

1) The team uses Kirk's refusal + the NFL's new game forfeiture rule to argue they should be able to cut him w/o the normal salary cap hit.

2) The team will suck this year, but the coaches can use Kirk to argue that they should be given another year or two.

3) better draft picks + more salary cap gives fans hope for the future.

4) Fans won't be able to attend the games regardless, so no ticket revenue loss.

5) Kirk gets his guaranteed money and avoids the physical toll.

Everyone wins or ties?