Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Every time I hear Game Grumps I'm reminded of this tweet

https://twitter.com/egoraptor/status/35062498239451136?lang=en

There's a bit in an episode where he makes fun of that and the people who @ him to this day about it.

However attempting to search for it just pulls up the saddest people in the world talking about twitter drama or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

Also, is everyone from the Young Turks a morally bankrupt grifter? There's Dore, Dave Ruben, and even Cenk himself who refuses to let his staff unionize and dabbles in Armenian genocide denialism.

Hasan Piker is kind of the obvious answer. Can't think of anything particularly bad he's done off the top of my head.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

Well, it wasn't complaining about liberals that finally got Trump out, was it? It was actually organizing and spreading the message to vote him out.

drat, can't believe Star Wars got Trump out of office

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

that's not how the PRC's censorship stuff works, the 'Three T's' are 90% a myth done by the loving New York Review of Books whining.

Chinese nationalists who the PRC encourage get extremely, apocalyptically angry at people acknowledging them, though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The author basing a character the show treats as heroic on a Japanese Imperial possible war criminal because he(the author) admires him is a bit of an oof but overall the show is definitely not pro fascist and actually quite anti-nationalist as well.

Apparently the specific Japanese general this is about is not connected to any war crimes, and very notably was not a general during WW2 despite a lot of people implying that he was.

Like, he was still an imperial Japanese general so I'm sure he wasn't super great or anything, but there's no evidence that he was responsible for any war crimes

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jamie Faith posted:

People are very upset at Sarah Z over these tweets lol

https://twitter.com/marysuewriter/status/1371532227444572163

I mean that is pretty dumb because there's nothing in there that seems to show or imply that the op regularly argues with or feels threatened by that kid, just that someone dm'd them acting really weird and then got super misogynistic when told politely to go away.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

actually in the very very early days didnt the gamegrumps literally call their fans 'cumsluts'

It was cum-(f-slur), yeah. That was a jontron joke though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Apologizing when people are acting in bad faith will do literally nothing for you, and in fact often make things worse because "you don't actually mean it/sorry isn't enough". We saw that poo poo happen on this very website not that long ago.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Katt posted:

Is Shoe still fash or what? I'm always for the spirit of redemption and all that and leftists keep sending her takes into my timeline.

She went hard for Bernie and is now fairly good. She still says some dumb stuff but overall she's pretty alright.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah like sure she should probably take her old videos down but I really don't see why that's a smoking gun on her not being sincere.

Either way, her new content very much pro-left and has absolutely helped deradicalize at least some of her old audience, so I guess you could argue that how sincere she is doesn't really matter, since the results are the same.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

What are you trying to say here

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Shoeonhead is Canadian: you can't blame that one on us. Unless she was radicalized on 4chan. Which she was.

...no she isn't? Part of her entire shtick is that she is very American

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Jesus loving christ

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

DanielCross posted:

On that note, wasn't it true for a while (and potentially still, but not sure) that voice gigs for anime very explicitly avoided hiring anyone associated with Abridging content?

You might be thinking of how they got the DBZA people to play the fake Z warriors in a gag for the dub of Kai, but were seemingly forced to scrap it and just go with the old dub for that part

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bleck posted:

I think I'd be more forgiving of the vtuber craze if every single time somebody tried to demonstrate a good vtuber moment to me it wasn't some painfully unfunny bullshit

if I never see that little shark girl again it'll be too soon

Lol of course

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So now we're at the "they all fake their voices to sound like children" (its actually a lot of their real voices) phase

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

watho posted:

calli’s other musical project is pretty great as well even if it has a tendency to get uncomfortably close to electro swing

I have some bad news for you. One of her inspirations is an electroswing Japanese rap group that she's recently been touring with

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

pentyne posted:

Vtubers are basically just hired actresses, right?

Seeing everyone personalize them and get all highly specific with references to them, it's still a corporate owned mascot they could just retire the second the person doing the voice became a problem or wanted more money.

There are plenty of independent vtubers that don't have any sort of corporate backing. Also, while yeah theoretically any of the ones that belong to an agency could be forced out from their current character, there is basically 0 chance that someone else would be hired to continue playing the character, given the massive backlash to when Active8 did that to Kizuna Ai.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

You missed out on the wonderful phrase "the spring 2021 anime season" at 0:54, which was incidentally my breaking point.

Thats an incredibly normal phrase, though

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Re:Zero owns

Psychos jumping on that person for liking it however, do not

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

If your stright and cis, you have no say on how queer people act in public. Especially during pride.

gently caress off.

How is this a hard concept, especially for liberals?

Not going to get into her take, but for the record shoe isn't straight

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Black Lagoon is the one people always go to but it's really just true. I cannot imagine how you'd make the argument otherwise outside of Revy speaking English very badly in the sub being amusing

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

for some reason my coworkers dont appreciate those numbers or how kickass impel down arc was

You should work with people in their 20s dude

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The post is kinda funny

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there good Vtubers who speak normally rather than using a persona-mandated high pitch cutesy voice.

Yeah, a lot. Big fan of Calliope Mori myself.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

who gives a poo poo

they are not your internet friend i am very sorry you had to find it out this way

kill your heroes

I beg you to stop assuming people are making weird arguments that they never actually made

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Big Bruder fails because it just absolutely fails to get what it's supposed to mean across.

Focusing on 4chan dipshits as if that's the only way for someone to disagree and insisting that your choice is the one true objective one is lame. As is the poo poo people do a lot where they see people make a point, and then just twist it into something else entirely

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Could you elaborate on this? What is it meant to mean beyond being a cutesy childish sounding term for a big brother?

I associate it far more with Grim from billy and mandy than I do a cutesy way to say big brother, personally. Might be a me thing, but well,

Genuinely:

Terrible Opinions posted:

one step further change r to w for bwudder.

Yeah if it had to be like this I think this would be better

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Immensely late but I watched the icarly video and as someone who has vague memories of the show from having watched it a lot with my little sister: I liked it

Also Edelgard owns

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jul 6, 2021

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Bleck posted:

I don't know anything about Buck Angel but every person I know IRL who posts about how he sucks is also a white person who tries to argue that our local police force is actually one of the good ones and that BLM should work together with them moving forward so I'm kind of on the fence about whether or not I'm supposed to give a gently caress about this

Holy poo poo

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah the harassment campaign that totally happened.

It literally did, my dude

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think it was Defunctland that did that great video on Action Park. What was the channel that did the breakdown of that cruise ship disaster?

Internet historian

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

in vtuber circles, "anti" tends to reference the types who are virulently and irrationally angry at the very idea of vtubers and can't just leave it be. It often goes hand in hand with the concept of a woman keeping her identity secret online, and leads to groups working to doxx and ruin them for having the temerity to be popular women on the internet. This has happened to multiple prominent vtubers, including Mano Aloe from Hololive who was doxxed and people she knew harassed by extension, leading to her retiring within two weeks of debuting. I don't know if it's similar elsewhere, but the types to harass the voice actors of a character they dislike certainly fits the bill.

That usage of the term anti and the usage of it in fanfiction circles are completely unrelated

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

SR3 as a whole sucked rear end. However on the one mission where you jump out of a helicopter and massacre a party while "Power" plays is one of the most memorable things I've ever played in a video game

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

edogawa rando posted:

And who gets to decide whether it’s “tokenism?”

Does the quality of how my ethnicity is represented have to go through some sort of rigorous ethics test dictated by some white motherfuckers, so that they can dictate, on my behalf, whether that representation is good or not? Because that's where this "is this good representation?" argument feels like it's going.

I think it's fail as gently caress when big studios very cynically use gay characters to try and gain a more positive image, myself.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

with goblin slayer, or shield hero or jobless reincarnation you can (if you're a lovely person) reconcile most of the really bad poo poo away. "oh, the rape in goblin slayer totally isn't sexualized and used horribly, it's just a dark and gritty world". "oh the false rape accusation and slavery is good themes in shield hero aren't that big a deal, everyone gets their comeuppance and he doesn't treat them like slaves anyways" "the MC being a weirdo who continually wants to have sex with children in jobless reincarnation is fine because he grows as a character!"

redo of healer doesn't really have that because there's just...so much. The protag just wants to hurt the people who hurt him, and he does so with literal murder and rape. There's no fig leaf to hide behind, it's just out there in a way the other series aren't willing to be

I don't think that ignoring or looking past the gross stuff in a show necessarily makes you a bad person

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It doesn't have solid character design, it has generic character design which lets people create their uninspired OCs.

What in the world are you talking about

Like character design is basically the thing that carried the show. That and the fact that gun scythes and shotgun gauntlets are really cool.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I can't believe all these chuds kramering in to calm hitler the sealioning

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Dias posted:

If you say anything generally negative about Japan the ADTRW crew (none of which are Japanese AFAIK) will get insufferable and call you out for xenophobia.

I GUESS maybe if you talk about overworking you can get away with it.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Takoluka posted:

Nintendo kept saying "Don't have Smash tournaments" and then people kept having Smash tournaments where sex pests were just allowed to do what sex pests do, so I'm gonna give Nintendo the dub on that one.

jesus