Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hey thread, I just recently started and I read through the op, and just had some quick questions. I'm scared of wasting exp, so I really haven't started boosting any characters or weapons, how relatively permanent is that decision? I know you can smash powered up artifacts into new ones, but what about weapons? I also assume that I will get my second roll on the newbie banner eventually? I got Noelle, Bennett, and Razor, and I'm using Noelle, Bennett, MC, and Lisa. Is this a decent party/any of them worth focusing on in a more permanent capacity? I'm assuming the main character sucks because I basically never see them in fan art or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Great advice

Zwiebel posted:

Great advice

Thanks for the tips! I'll aim for 40 as a soft cap of sorts then until I get a stronger sense of who I like using, and feel like I'm not wasting much on it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MoonCrab posted:

Travelers fine. Geo is unironically a pretty decent a standalone unit, and anemo is an anemo. I used her from launch up until I got Kazuha just because of how useful enemy grouping was, even if she grouped the enemies halfway across the stage in a really annoying way.

Anyway, congrats on the Bennett. He's literally the most important character in the game, eventually. Now you just need Xingqiu or Yelan from the banner and you're basically all set, forever (until you need to build 2 teams, then you're 50% all set forever).

drat, he's that good? I'm assuming because he's a combo healer/damage steroid in one?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Don't bother with soft caps early on. Pick one favorite character and crank their level/weapon/artifacts as high as you can get them. Until your level cap is above 70ish it's basically always worth it (at least for whoever you use as your main damage dealer) and you don't really need to think about conserving resources.
And upgrading a 4-star weapon you use all the way to max level (90) is always worth it.

This is mostly so I can get myself not blocked on trying to find a favorite character. :v: I have bad potion hoarder syndrome so I need something like that to break it. I will do so if I find any 4 star weapons, currently I've just got 3 stars.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Heh, well speaking of characters I kind of know, I earned my second roll on the newbie banner tonight and I managed to get both Beidou and Ningguang together. :v: I know of them just because I see all the art of them being a couple, so that's cool.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 8, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So when it comes to rolling a banner, is there a point to saving up for 10 to roll/is rolling one at a time a negative?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I rolled my first 5 star today and got Diluc, I also got Yanfei from the Yelan banner, how good/useful are they? My current team is Beidou, Traveller (wind), Bennet, Kaeya, with Beidou as my most onfield character. I was using Ningguang but swapped in Kaeya just because earth doesn't feel that great? No real clue how to build a party though, tbh.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So uh, I also just got Yelan so I think I'm going to have a few months of bad luck now.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yelan is super fun! Been enjoying trying to use her as a main just cause I think she's really cool. Yanfei is also really neat. Maybe not as effective as Diluc but I like the whole seal system and how it interacts with her charged attack. Still been rolling around with Yelan, Diluc, Yanfei, and Barbara, as of the healers I have she's really straight forward and I appreciate that. I feel like I sub in at least one more elemental type but I'm not sure who I have that would be better, maybe Beidou?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I dunno if she counts as normal attacks but I really am enjoying Yanfei, I like how she builds up to that charged attack, it's super fun. I need to get better at remembering to swap back to Yelan to setup hydro because I just get into the rhythm.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I love HZD and I am sad that Aloy is somehow in this game but I can't get her anymore.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Mondstadt is aesthetically German, but in actuality it's an ancap commune in New Hampshire.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I thought I was lucky getting Yelan, I just got Keqing from a blue fate barely some 20 rolls after I got Diluc. :psyduck:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

There's never been a character with so much fanart with so little utility.

Maybe so, but for now she really shreds when I pop Yelan's burst and that's good enough for me right now. Also I do like the sword moveset.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

New or returning players who pull Yelan can get hosed I guess, rofl. I'm just behind on the Chasm storyline and I still had to do like 4+ hours of quests.

Yeah I just got to exploring the Chasm and I've just explored enough to unlock the fight that let me ascend her to 50, still have preqs for the event. :negative:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

If I'm at the Chasm is it worth powering through and doing the Yelan event/could I even make progress on it? I have no idea how events work in terms of if it's a one time quest, a bunch of dailies, or whatever. If it's just a story quest I'd consider that worth it, but obviously if it's just a bunch of dailies, doesn't make sense to get one day's worth of progress.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Wave posted:

This boring parts of this chasm event will be a permanent part of the main storyline. The combat stages+all the rewards will not.

When you say rewards does that include upgrading the lumenstone? Or is that mainline stuff sticking in?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

dogsicle posted:

just usual event rewards like primogems and upgrade materials for characters/weapons (exp, mora, ores, talent mats etc). the event also has a free 4* bow you can earn refines for, but i wouldn't say any of this is worth rushing yourself to get.

the lumenstone is similar to Statues of the Seven for the main regions, or the Frostbearing Tree/Sacred Sakura in Dragonspine and Inazuma. you get the relevant pickups while exploring and turn them in for rewards and minor exploration-related upgrades.

Ah thanks for explaining. Turns out despite beating the chasm quest, it just tells me to do more main story quests anyway. :negative: (I mean it was still fun running around there, and it let me get ascension mats for Yelan finally but rip)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

No Wave posted:

The four highest selling banners for this game all happened in the last 8 months. It is so hugely popular it's kind of unreal.

Yelan was a targeted attack on me specifically. She absolutely was the tipping card to get me to start playing this.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

It's always fun when something has a character that's just good to look at. People love to do fanart of the characters in real world clothes or wearing something that would fit in with Arknights or Metal Gear Solid or something already.

Or even just random uniforms. 'Draw Ganyu working in an office. Draw Zhongli as a chef. Draw Razor as a lion tamer.' Etc etc

Since I love Fire Emblem the most bizarre iteration of that I've seen is people drawing Lucina in a Hooter's uniform.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Tempting me to roll for her. I didn't want to roll on this banner because I don't care for Itto or the other 4 stars, but my main healer is Barbara and making the party wet has plenty of issues. And she's a cool ninja.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I do enjoy Keqing, but of course I'm still in the leveling phase, and maybe it's just the sword moveset I'm into. :shrug:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

MoonCrab posted:

Ok so I've never asked this for fear of getting savagely dogpiled by zoomers, but what is "endgame content" even supposed to mean? Is there some of facet of video games that I'm just totally unfamiliar with? Like do people want some sort of mmo style infinigrind or something?

Got it in one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is there a link to see these?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yanfei is also Enhi 煙えん緋ひ

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

poo poo I need to hurry up and actually catch up with the main story and not gently caress around with sidequests.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I like the catgirl.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah I gotta think that's pretty accurate given my luck on getting Diluc and Keqing within 12 and 26 pulls respectively. :v:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Can't say I particularly like Tighnari at all, but Collei looks very cool and worth having.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Radical posted:

honkai CN playerbase had a blowup like 2 weeks ago about a survey question hinting at adding male characters and they had to issue an apology (with primogems!) lol.

:stare:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

He is also very fun. He has a three part E which is rather unique and looks stylish to boot. Certainly for just getting into the game that's a hell of a start. I also started recently and my 5 stars are Diluc, Keqing, and Yelan, so I have used him a lot, with him and Keqing trading off who I want on the field at the time.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Has anyone seen this happen to them? After the update my game hangs on the Warning: Read Before Playing screen, I can't click past it and after waiting a minute it won't advance. I tried verifying files and restarting my pc and I'm at a loss on how to fix this without just reinstalling.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

well it took 76 wishes but got Kazuha and 3 con Heizhou. Also one each of Thoma and Ning. Leaving towards swapping Diluc out of my main party for Kaz, though Barbara feels like both a dead slot and also critical for heals. Maybe I can work in Noelle instead?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Speaking of that how necessary is a healer in a general team comp? I feel I need Barb a lot because dodge timing can feel off on some bosses, but given that I got Kazuha I kind of want to run like some kind of team along the lines of Yelan, Keqing, Kaz, and idk Fish? Or I guess just Barb. (Noelle being my only other healer at the moment.)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Endorph posted:

you generally want a healer or a shield just for comfort. teams can function fine without one but you need to be very onpoint with dodging and positioning. and you definitely want a healer for an overworld team.

You could try Bennett/Kazuha/Yelan/XQ if you have Benny and XQ. Benny can totally cover the healer slot.

Sadly I don't have XQ. I guess I do have Bennett but I hate his design.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jokes posted:

I wish hitting a frost slime with frost magic would still hurt them. Hitting a frost plant with frost magic still hurts them. It just really sucks when you can’t use your main DPS because you picked the wrong element or whatever.

I guess that’s why physical DPS is good

Elemental shields are pure pain if you just don't have their counter. And with dendro you are now even less likely to have their counter!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I dunno, off the leaks I've seen she looks like a great off field character with decent dendro application. Certainly better kit wise than Mickey mouse.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Given this was my first time seeing Fischl in a cutscene I was sad to learn that her gratuitous German did not extend into the Japanese dub.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Andrast posted:

sounds like japanese fischl sucks

It's a shame because it's such an obvious anime trope that like why the gently caress didn't they go with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Andrast posted:

no more ayaka pls

I don't have Ayaka yet so please more Ayaka til I get her.