Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Series was good overall, but the finale was a bit underwhelming. Felt like they could've done a lot more with it in a number of areas but I guess that's what happens when fan speculation gets out of control, not that it was really the show's fault. Did we ever find out who the aerospace engineer or the super special "Luke in Mandalorian level" cameo was supposed to be?

As a rule of thumb, in recent years of TV, the second to last episode is where all the turns happen, and the final episode is typically just a straightforward epilogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Harlock posted:

It's also super unclear what Heyward's crime(s) are. I can maybe connect the dots on - well, he fired a missile into a bunch of hostages, which is bad enough, but I don't think they make it super clear what his transgressions are aside from being a poor foil to the hero inside the bubble.

Well, at the most basic level, he lied about his activities to the FBI and probably DoD/SWORD in general; misuse of personnel/materiel is a big deal, especially if his end goal was self-serving (gain power/influence). Reprogramming Vision is bad, and unethical, but it's a bit hairy, because he's the director of SWORD, and they had rights to Vision; regardless, weaponizing/deployment of Vision is probably also really bad. In real life, there'd be a really deep dive into his actions/engagement, including detaining an FBI agent, attacking an Avenger, providing claims of theft by Wanda using doctored footage to the FBI, and so on. Heyward would likely end up as the scapegoat for the entire mess, and spend the rest of his life in prison..

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Harlock posted:

The show definitely had some interesting things to say about Vision's personhood. He's a person as much as he's able to own a house/have a deed, but assuming Heyward isn't lying - his body/corpse belongs to SWORD. I know that this has been a very 'Wanda' problem in the show, but I'd have to think if that wasn't true via governmental red tape or whatever, one of the other Avengers should have stopped it?

What Avengers? Cap is, for all intents and purposes, gone. Iron Man is dead. Thor is probably off planet with GotG. Ant-Man is anti-authority. Black Widow is dead, Hawkeye is off the grid, and Falcon/Bucky will be updated shortly. Spider-Man is back to NYC, and was only connected via Happy/Iron Man. War Machine is basically a janitor (in that he just goes and cleans up Tony's/gov't's messes, and doesn't ask questions), and Captain Marvel is also off planet. (Whomever is the) Black Panther is in Wakanda and isn't really present.

Edit: Hulk is around, but he probably just isolates himself in whatever lab.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

I think he meant stopping a government agency from taking their friend's corpse to do whatever with.

Vision died in Infinity War, and Cap/Tony/Thor/Hulk/Widow had five years to find out what SWORD was trying to do and were either on board or didn't care enough to stop it.

Everybody was emotionally destroyed, though; I can see no one thinking about the details.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

I guess there were only about 10,000 Asgardians in existence at the time of Ragnarok? And maybe a couple hundred now. Very sad!

You know, I think the TVA was probably lazy about that deathcount; most of the deaths related to Ragnarok were probably people killed by Hela and her minions. Thor had pretty clearly evacuated Asgard by the time it was torched.

Then Thanos and his crew wiped out most of the rest.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

I would genuinely be happy if Waititi never touched the film industry again

Can you explain yourself, young man?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

fractalairduct posted:

If one of the timekeepers is Kang, the other two will also be Kang.

Like... a council?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Wrong thread

Red fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 24, 2021

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

It all being in someone's head would help explain how Loki and Sylvie apparently walked miles plural in 10 minutes.

Loki says, verbatim:

"You know, I don't think I've ever walked this much in my life."

This implies they walked a ton, and so the show didn't need to show them walking endlessly. It was not 10 minutes.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

I finally got around to watching Thor: The Dark World today, it being the only MCU film I've not seen. Had been saving it up simply because it was the only MCU film I've not seen, and everyone said it was bad. But they also said that about Iron Man 2 which I found a ton of fun (if utterly inconsequential in the larger scheme of things).

I don't know if it helps that Ragnarok, Endgame, WandaVision (for Darcy) and now the Loki series all add weight to it, but this 8 year old film that everyone dunks on to the point it's a meme was... Good, Actually? Nice character development for Loki, which almost a decade later they're still calling back to, a bunch of solid jokes with Darcy and Jane Foster, and one of the prettiest early MCU films in terms of cinematography.

Solid 3/5 movie that I'd look forward to rewatching in an MCU marathon rewatch. The only truly bad MCU film imo remains The Incredible Hulk, which at least gifted us Thunderbolt Ross making a return 8 years later for an "oh, THAT GUY" moment, and a callback joke in Ragnarok.

I actually really enjoy TDW for the buddy film it is. The only real negative to TDW is that Portman is really terrible, but I have faith in Waititi to get good stuff out of her for the next film. Ragnarok is the best of the 3, because they focus on what works best (Thor's chemistry with Loki) and dumping what doesn't (Sif, Portman). Waititi figured out that audiences weren't going to give a poo poo about Thor as a straight man; he needs to be a little cocky, and sometimes self-deprecating.

I think it's much better than the first Thor film, which, nowadays, by comparison, feels really flat. Iron Man 2 is not good, since you mentioned it, though I think one could argue it's watchable in spite of its weaknesses. On the other hand, Iron Man 3 is awful and completely irredeemable.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Oasx posted:

I don't think it is quite as good as WandaVision or Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but I still enjoy it very much.

Interesting!

Wandavision, for me, was mostly terrible except for the tremendous episode 8 (flashbacks to Dick Van Dyke and the Vision scam), which is one of the best hours of television ever. The show as a whole came off more as a gimmick or curiosity, and the first two episodes are a labor to get through.

Falcon/Soldier is a mixed bag, because Walker is too weak on his own, but good enough as a foil, and the Flag-Smashers are horribly written and acted. Zemo was decent but ended up being pointless, the villain reveal was dumb and predictable, and the final episode was a ridiculous mess where nothing made sense, and the speeches seemed forced and banal.

Loki has been a home run for me, and I could watch these episodes repeatedly, endlessly. Wilson and Hiddleston have amazing chemistry, and Hiddleston's Loki is so loving charismatic, I'd probably just enjoy watching him eat nachos.

Different strokes, etc.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Ishamael posted:

What an underwhelming finale. Having a completely new character monologue for 20 minutes and then die, with vague consequences, was not a good ending to this show.

The consequences were extremely clear? Loki literally looks at a new statue, because Sylvie's decision immediately changed everything - for the worse.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Parkingtigers posted:

That's the other issue with this show, which is set in 2024/2025. It ignores almost 2 decades of MCU events. Somehow, even after an event in which half the universe vanished and then returned 5 years later, where aliens have visited and attacked Earth multiple times, where a giant creature froze while rising from the ocean, that we still have stuff like NATO and Russian in a fragile stand-off that could be false flagged into nuclear war by bombs going off in Moscow while an American is present?

There are much better shows waiting to be made that explore what it is like to live in the MCU at at this point. She-Hulk, despite being a sitcom, exploring the legal aspects of minor league supervillainy/heroism at least touched on it. FatWS was close to getting into it, but fumbled the Flagsmasher side of the show. Others like WandaVision only looking back at personal trauma.

I don't know what this show wants. Clearly there's an aim for some cold war paranoia about who you can trust blah blah blah but tech levels in the MCU mean there must be ways to scan who is human and who isn't. Fury would have been building that stuff years ago. Bolivar Trask will be out there building it to scan for mutants. They've done enough infiltration/mind control stories by now that looking for magical ways someone, especially government officials, might not be what they seem. That stuff should be pervasive, and to the point where it's causing civil rights violations and a pushback to it. Hell, even the Skrull gimmick of looking like a human is something SHIELD agents have been doing for over a year with their face camo peel-off thingies.

I don't know yet what this show is trying to say, beyond torture works and some refugees will turn on you, and I sincerely hope there's some more inspirational messages coming in the future episodes because so far it's not giving me anything to cheer for.

The problem is that the MCU is becoming a thing where you miss nothing, at all, by reading the summary on Wikipedia. None of the characters mean anything, and all of the films/shows exist simply to move from A to B and get to the next thing.

She-Hulk and the Dr. Strange sequel are the only half-decent things that's come out in years, and even Shulk poo poo the bed with its ending.

All of the properties are going to have rushed and terrible CGI, characters, plot, and so forth because they've realized the profit is in the conveyor belt of poo poo in terms of merchandise and the next property. People are going to consume it regardless of quality (for now), so just keep pumping it out before the well goes dry.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

Did we watch the same show? She-Hulk ended wonderfully

It was perfect up until the non-ending.

Everyone posted:

Some people loved it. Presumably other people were more "Waaahh!! Me want CGI fights and skybeams! Waaaahhhh!!!"

It was a great story that deserved a resolution, not just a wink. It's not the worst thing in the world, but I think the show could've done better.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Okay, this thread made me re-watch the show because it's fun and wonderful and it's a Friday, and uh

I don't mean to be the mean or evil-spirited person of the thread, but the conclusion of the stealing blood for Hulk incels thing is the show itself saying this is dumb and ridiculous. You can argue that that itself is dumb and ridiculous too, but they leaned into the fourth-wall breaking stuff in She-Hulk a little and well it's a ~*comics thing*~ and you either like it or you don't.

So I took the plot of She-Hulk as Jen being able to control her emotions successfully, unlike Bruce, so being a hulk was almost like wish fulfillment - she got her dream job (sort of), easily physically dealt with issues, and so on - until she realized being She-Hulk also made her vulnerable in different ways. The ending with handwaving everything away just seems to either admit they painted themselves into a corner, or, that the story didn't really matter, because the final villain wasn't really a big deal anyway. I'm not upset by the ending - it just feels out of place given how tight the rest of the season was. The previous points where Jen/Shulk reaches out to the audience were as an aside, not as any sort of conclusion.

Of course, season 2 could come back with the real villain having been Titania, Leader, or whoever, and that's fine, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

It sucks that the "get woke, get broke" chuds will jump all over it but for as bad as stuff like Quantumania is, Marvel's never put out anything even Morbius/Black Adam bad so there's room for Echo to be particularly awful.

I dunno, Eternals was pretty goddamn bad.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rappaport posted:

How was it her dream job? She had to navigate around all sorts of conflict issues, like Blonsky being a guy who tried to kill Bruce, and she was aghast at having to portray as She-Hulk for the job.

IIRC, she was unemployed at the end of the first episode, and got a job offer from a huge prominent firm, and gets the corner office, gets to hire her best friend as her assistant, etc. - the exception is that they want She-Hulk, not Jen. Then the cases seem like terrible lost causes until she successfully resolves them, realizing her potential (which, while occasionally supported by the She-Hulk's superpowers, largely comes from Jen herself).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Yeah, she gets fired at the start, and gets a job offer from a big firm for being She-Hulk. But that is my point. The show makes it prominently clear through Jen's dialogue that she wanted to work her way up a law firm's hierarchy, or the DA's hierarchy, but whichever, I'm not a lawyer, and she is very much horrified that she has to present as She-Hulk. Her boss isn't exactly portrayed as a bad guy at any part of the show, I'll give you that, but he always delivers something unfortunate that Jen has to deal with, starting with Emil and moving up to the creepy dude who dated an Asgardian by being stupid, and so forth.

It's a good gig, I suppose, and it makes for a good framing for the show, but a part of the entire plot is that it isn't Jen's dream job, she clings to it because in the first episode they make it clear that she can't get anything else. There's a whole montage of failed job interviews and everything. As Jen and She-Hulk grow together, if you will, it becomes more her, but dream job just isn't the framing I'd use from the on-set.

I guess my point is that it was a dream job, or in this case, the illusion of the wish fulfillment along with becoming She-Hulk, until she realizes being a visible superhero is really complicated.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rappaport posted:

Ohh, I see. I'm sorry, I misread you, my bad :( Yeah, it is a dream job, just not what Jen originally wanted. The show's thematic just revolves around Jen having different dreams, or having to accept new ones, like being a super-hero (Bruce's big speech in the first episode) and all the silliness that comes with it.

No problem at all, we're just talking about comic book movies/shows!

Everyone posted:

It really wasn't. The problem Eternals had was that it was simultaneously too short and too long. You had a 2.5+ hour movie about these new but really old super-duper powered beings (who couldn't be arsed to do a single loving thing when Thanos rolled up to wreck the planet/galaxy/universe). But then you also had a little over 2.5 hours to do 10-12 origin stories spanning thousands of years of human history and tell a story of poo poo that's relevant to "right now" in the MCU involving these people. The thing probably should have been a 12 hour series with each hour introducing a different Eternal and then hours 11-12 cover the main conflict among them.

I mean, I have specific gripes:

- Sersi's actress, Gemma Chan, was wooden as hell, and everything she did on screen was terrible. Most of the cast came off as pretty awful, but then, I realize they're working with green screens, so I get that they're set up to fail. Nanjiani was really amusing. Kit Harrington's Black Knight is interesting, but Harrington had like 2 minutes of screen time.
- The only Eternal's character (character (e.g., a personality) being different than powerset) I found even mildly intriguing was Gilgamesh, so, naturally- yeah.
- A lot of the CGI was pretty bad, especially for the deviants; the deviants were generic, pointless, and added absolutely zero tension to any scene they were in.
- There was no time for the audience to have a reason to give a poo poo, which is a perfectly valid criticism - if your movie has too many moving pieces to do a story justice, then your movie doesn't really work.
- The climax has zero tension, because you know this movie isn't going to upset the status quo, and we also have no reason to be upset if someone we like dies, because we don't actually like any of these characters.

I could go on, but it really should have been a miniseries. A well written series that develops each Eternal over an episode or two that weaves in heroes we know would've turned out significantly better than the mess we got. An hourlong episode about Kingo's ruse would be interesting, especially if you show some crossover with the other MCU folks.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Sockser posted:

I legitimately do not remember a single thing about Eternals, other than I didn't enjoy it

Could not name a single plot beat, barely remember the end tag with Black Knight and Blade

But nothing actually within the movie

The thing with Black Knight and Blade is the best part of the movie, and that's not saying much.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

And in the comics, aren't Deviants like...more sentient? I think Thanos is actually a Deviant? But the movie reduced them to "weird monsters that look like they're made of ropes"

Some are just crazy alien guys who generally become warlords or whatever in space.

Some are monsters (the Mole Man's Giganto, for example) who just kind of end up somewhere.

Skrulls are technically deviants, too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

live with fruit posted:

It doesn't seem like a stretch to think that a bunch of green aliens with pointy ears would have a different experience than beautiful humanoid Asgardians. And do they want to live at Chernobyl or is that the only place that they can have their own space?

They aren't affected by radiation, so it's a safe space for them.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

How is Nick Fury gonna battle a super skrull? Im guessing there's gonna be a battle between 2 super skrulls, the good one(Talos or Gi'ah) wins by beating gravik, then sacrifices themselves to destroy the machine and end the super skrull program.

I would assume a lot of Skrulls die and/or become friendly but Gravik and the leftovers escape to space for season 2.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

More shows like Loki S1 & 2 please Marvel Studios because you knocked that one out of the park.

Just do a good Daredevil season 4.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/WH_Woolhat/status/1723888685744091543

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Rabid Snake posted:

I just finished Loki. I’m so conflicted. Majors played Kang so well, especially HWR. He would’ve made a great villian but from what I read online he’s a huge POS as an actor. The HWR scenes between him and Loki were so good.

If Disney continues the kang arc, I guess I got to separate the art from the artist.

I feel like Majors' main effort in doing different characters was just mixing up the speech impediments.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Hollywood Reporter says that Marvel is "taking stock" after the financial failure of The Marvels and planning a significantly reorganized strategy going forward.

- De-prioritization of Disney+ shows and their connection to the movies.

- Only 1 movie release next year (this was already likely the plan due to the strikes, but it is now confirmed that nothing but Deadpool 3 will release next year)

- Deadpool 3 delayed again to July 26th.

- Captain America 4 delayed for 9 months from the original release date to February 14th, 2025.

- Thunderbolts delayed again for another 6 months to July 25, 2025.

- Blade delayed another 9 months to Nov. 7, 2025.

- May pair down theatrical releases to 1 or 2 per year after 2025.

- Feige and his team are doing a thorough review of all the major tentpole releases, will return to Feige directly overseeing all major projects, and will delay them if Feige and his team haven't had time to go over them sufficiently before release.

- Part of this transition and de-emphasis on the continuity of D+ shows means that Feige will be working primarily on films again and Marvel will have official showrunners in charge of most of the story decisions of the shows.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/marvel-studios-rethinks-movie-strategy-marvels-1235645119/

They're finally figuring out that endlessly rolling out poo poo regardless of quality harms the brand.

Wish they'd figured this out before making Secret Invasion.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

What If… You Got That Super Nintendo For Christmas When You Were 12?

Fixed this for me and now I feel empty

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Oh I completely forgot about Forge. What was his mutant power? He could... make anything? Which, I never quite understood that.

Cyclops: I need to be able to do [insert crazy task]
Forge: Oh, uh (five minutes later) - here, take this.
Cyclops: What is this?
Forge: Push the button on this device, and it'll do that thing you need to do.
Cyclops: (pushes button, thing is done) Huh. It did the thing. That's it?
Forge: That's it.
Cyclops: How does it work, exactly?
Forge: ... I have no idea.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now they can go tell the Star Wars people about their amazing discovery.

Too late, they already have poop on their hands from Obi Wan

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Cage Kicker posted:

Driver as Doom though

Oh, gently caress. I didn't know I wanted this until this post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Desperado Bones posted:

Madelyne watched a lot of 90's anime, it seems :swoon:

I am so glad someone else thought this.