Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

ok so the major threads that are unanswered are:

- was something meant to happen after hunter b15 showed the other hunters renslayer's non-variant identity?

That led to them joining the revolt/revolution and it's why no-one responded when Renslayer tried to call them to deal with Mobius.

Firebert posted:

I feel like that was a terrific introduction for Kang but a terrible finale for a Loki show

This was my feeling too. I'm reasonably excited what this could mean for the future of MCU. I mean, multiversal shenanigans and maybe some kind of eventual merging is pretty much the only way they could fold mutants into the mainline universe at this point.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Golden Bee posted:

“The characters go to a place, then talk to somebody.” How is that 90% of the episode.

Maybe it'd work better for people that are binge-watching. I feel I would've enjoyed the finale a little more had I not been waiting a week for it.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

aBagorn posted:

The only thing we learned from Loki was stones from any particular timeline/universe don't work inside the TVA. other universes are apparently still in play

I don't know, it's kinda funny to see how Loki was tricked in that way, but if the stones really could be taken to any timeline and still work you'd think the TVA would still consider them dangerous artifacts, not trinkets.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh neat Clan Destines, that is a deep cut

It is, but they could've had any random name and no-one would've made the connection.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Jim the Nickel posted:

Kinda feel like my main issue with this show is the weird.. editing? pacing? Scenes just blast through back and forth dialogue so quickly, and before you have a second to catch your breath it's on to the next thing. Seems like it could benefit a lot from letting scenes go on a little longer to get to know the non-superhero characters more. Have it feel like a real show and not just a cameo-fest and the BROADEST JOKES POSSIBLE.

Yeah, I think the length still hurts it, though this was longer than last week's at least.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

JT Smiley posted:

I can't believe anyone was honestly upset about that YouTube bit, like it's the most realistic part of the show. Hell, not a day goes by where YouTube doesn't recommend a video featuring some mouth breather complaining about how Marvel's woke and women and minorities are ruining the MCU.

The extremely obvious problem with the YouTube bit is the context of the MCU. Yes, in real life there are many people who have been saying exactly those things, but why would a female version of a male hero be such a problem in the MCU? In real life, people whine because they see it as part of some supposed ‘replacement agenda’. But in the MCU itself, there’s no obvious diegetic reason why that would be the main response. From the perspective of the average MCU resident, She-Hulk is perhaps the first (maybe second after Wasp) known female ‘version’ of a male hero, no? I think no-one in universe would know of Jane Fonda or Kate Bishop. So where does this animosity suddenly come from?

This is why it’s ‘heavy-handed’.

A point about misogyny could’ve been easily made whilst still maintaining some semblance of the world that has been built.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 2, 2022

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

This is a show where the main character talks to the non-diegetic audience. Making jokes at non-diegetic peoples’ expense is perfectly consistent

I guess ‘comedy’ can be used to justify anything, but the fourth wall breaks have been focused on Jen’s asides only so far. I’d disagree that it justifies any random real world social commentary the writers decide to insert. Ken’s asides can be understood as being non-canon, the YouTube part is presented as a part of the world.

It’s actually extra irritating to me because almost every other part of the episode did a great job on the show’s concept and it’s place in the overall world.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Except that they haven’t

The YouTube commenters were a fourth wall break by the show itself

The show isn’t bound to any contract to only have Jen make asides as its allowed fourth wall breaks

This’ll be a good way to defend any random inconsistency in this show I guess.

Rarity posted:

Is it really that hard to imagine that some men are going to be sexist pricks?

It's very easy to imagine that. I would've liked the show to imagine it too, just in the context of the MCU, not lazily cribbing from Twitter/YouTube loons.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 2, 2022

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is actually kind of amazing and I want to hear the take of the people who were just posting on the last page that they didn't like that they "made up quotes" from "caricatures" just to get mad at.

There was one person saying something like that 3-4 pages ago, mostly calling it heavy-handed, not whatever you're implying here.

The 'last page' was mainly me complaining precisely about it being 'real life' trolls instead of 'in-universe'. So this relevation that they literally just modified some real comments is no surprise.

Shageletic posted:

I'm having trouble understanding what you're getting at. You're supposing that there's any logic or consistency to sexism and misogyny. It doesn't matter if She Hulk is the first female version of a superhero in that universe. These assholes will still think it's stealing male Valor.

Like these dicks aren't going into case histories and past examples than settling on THESE BROADS ARE STEALING OUR STUFF

Yes true, maybe in the MCU such people would still exist to some extent, but I still feel the balance of the segment was off and too influenced by the real-life reaction. It's really something I don't think would've been in the show had the writers hadn't been shocked and appalled by those comments. There's a million other ways such a sequence could've made a meaningful point whilst staying in-context.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

X-Men 97: So uh Did Rogue and Magneto have a relationship in the original show that I forgot about???

Also this really is a Day After continuation. Lots of small little tech details like the use of walkman cassette tape players being used.

It’s based on something from the comics, but must be retcon for the show. There’s no hint of it in the original eps.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

House of M is a 10 minute segment and Schism is 2 whole episodes. Because they haven't established there are non Mutant superheroes in this world, I wonder how they'll do Avengers Vs X-men?

Spiderman, War Machine, Cap. America, Doc Strange and others have made cameos and such before. The show never really focuses on them, but they exist in the world.

And technically, X-Men is apparently meant to be in the same universe as the concurrent Spiderman series. So everyone that appeared there exists in the world too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

...have they ever actually tried? Like, legit, I don't think there's ever been an attempt to actually do Galactus on screen. The Tim Story movies did kind of the Ultimate Gah Lak Tus swarm thing, but no-one's ever tried the full on giant dude in purple skirt thing.

I think in this day and age they will just do Galactus like the cartoons did. After all, the MCU has shown full-sized celestials multiple times, and though changed, Eternity has appeared too. There's no reason they couldn't make a traditional Galactus work too.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Tom Tucker posted:

Wait I think I’m confusing the Galactus hungry cloud from the Alba Fantastic 4 with the Fear hungry cloud from Green Lantern which is good because they both show had bad an idea a hungry giant celestial creature is for a movie.

A featureless cloud is a bad idea. An actual character will almost certainly be good.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 4, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Good question. They were also inconsistent with this in the original series but with Cable

I think Cable's backstory in the comics hadn't been fixed either at the point of his TAS S1 debut.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I think it is clear they are starting New X-Men stories and it won't be contained to this episode. The Madelyne/Jean/Scott astral plane scene was similar to an Emma/Scott/Jean scene in New X-Men. Episodes 8-10 are titled Tolerance Is Extinction. New X-Men's first arc was E Is for Extinction and had a version of what we just saw happen on Genosha.

Considering the Bastion tease in last week’s ep, it seems they will go for Operation Zero Tolerance..

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The French titles for 8-10 are literally ’Operation Zero Tolerance’ so Bastion is my bet. I also simply hope to never see Cassandra Nova again and I’m disappointed by the Deadpool news.

Ref:
https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_%9297

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

zoux posted:

Gambit powers question: Not that I really care but just curious: isn't charging up an entire wild sentinel master mold a little beyond him?

I don't think real limits were ever really established, comic or cartoon. The main thing I've seen in the comics (discounting any power ups) was him charging up the large anchor of a ship, but he needed time to do it. Him fully charging the sentinel within a couple of seconds was the thing that surprised me most.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Also, the show runners actually outright said at some point that there are moments where they choose to prioritise coolness over consistent logic. Gambit charging Wolverine claws was one such moment.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Merrill Grinch posted:

Ok I just earned myself a rewatch. Mea Culpa.

A new set of horsemen appeared in the comics many years ago. Maybe the show will do it again too.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Did they do Age of Apocalypse in the original series? Because I would like Age of Apocalypse, please. It's what got me into comics to begin with.

Put it in whatever time travel shenanigans, with Bishop, like the original.

There were the ‘One’s Man Worth’ eps in S4. They were actually the original inspiration for AoA, though the story is quite different, Apocalypse wasn’t actually involved for one.

https://www.polygon.com/animation-cartoons/20971782/x-men-the-animated-series-best-episodes-creator-interviews

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 11, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Cyke was still horrified by Rogue's straight up attempted execution of Trask. The man had surrendered, was no threat, was remorseful, and wasn't even directly responsible for what she's upset about. It's really not a defensible kill on any ground other than personal vengeance since she did it for Remy and no one else.

He jumped. She just delayed it a little bit.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, the series hosed up because that's not how Morph works.

But it is how Morph works according to the showrunners.
Physical powers can be imitated. This has been stated. I interpret it not to mean that the actual powers are ‘copied’, just that Morph’s body contorts in such a way to replicate the ability of the character in question. E.g. Mimicking Angel’s flight through the wings plus presumably lowered density/weight. Blob through elasticity. Colossus through increased density and hardened skin, etc. Quicksilver is a stretch, but not impossible to justify if you assume Morph approaches Plastic Man levels of cellular control.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Aertuun posted:

I'm still slightly confused by the bit in the latest episode where Rogue (in Mexico) does her mind meld thing with the racist and passes out while clearly Not Having A Good Time. Meanwhile the rest of the X-men in Genosha receive that message and Cyclops goes, "We're off to Madripoor!" (south east Asia apparently).

Then the next scene is Rogue waking up on the street in Mexico, and finding Morph and the Gang there. They didn't go to Madripoor, they're now in Mexico, somehow. I thought it was a dream sequence, but then they all go off together to find the drinks machine.

They just went to pick up her up and then went to Madripoor afterwards. Geographically it's a huge detour, but it's understandable they wanted Rogue there when they went to confront Trask.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I wasn't really clear how they knew where Rogue was. She went to find find whatshisname, found Cap instead, Cap gave intel that led her to Mexico, she went to Mexico and passed out. I guess she told them, "Hey, I'm going to Mexico to get this rear end in a top hat," before she went? And the exact coordinates of where she'd be? It's not a big deal, just feels a little sloppy.

I’d agree it wasn’t explained, but given the communication technology they are known to carry, I don’t think it’s a huge stretch they simply tracked her via GPS or whatever. It’s not like she was trying to hide from the team.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Morph stuff

Morph doesn’t work like that. The original show runner confirmed:

https://x.com/beaudemayo/status/1783161417409196419?s=46&t=358N-EjOZD-eCZ03iPTJfA

Also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkst9mT_0P8

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 26, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

A 'Final Trailer' just went up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp1Pax-QHlA

It's pretty light on actual detail regarding the final 3 eps, but there are a few shots scattered throughout.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Zoobtro posted:

not sure why cyclops threw his getup to cable though??

Maybe this?

https://marvelvscapcom.fandom.com/wiki/Cable

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

The Grumbles posted:

Here's a question though, from someone that doesn't remember the original cartoon too well. How did they deal with Wolverine's claws? As in, I'm guessing they wouldn't have wanted to ever show him stabbing or maiming someone. Were there any goofy sleight of hand compromises in the coreography? Did he just slice up robots?

Yeah, he basically only ever successfully damages robots, weapons, maybe the odd vine or tentacle with his claws. He also visibly slashed or stabbed enemies like Omega Red and The Blob, but they're basically impervious to such physical attacks, so no damage was taken/shown.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also everyone that was flying in an airplane is 100% dead, right? :v:

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1785578593130869216

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, they established their weakness last week and welp there's a guy who is a walking version of it

And it's not like it was a simple, consequence free solution either.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 1, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Regarding Val/Mystique and the show runner’s comments: Beau de Mayo was asked and he answered ‘no’. Seems he’s happy to quell the speculation, I guess because the story he’s trying to tell works better with an actual human sympathiser rather than an undercover mutant.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 2, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

iceyman posted:

Show Creator said that Bastion can be seen in just about every episode prior implying some sort of twist maybe? But he doesn't seem to be anyone we already knew. So is he just doing a where's Waldo or something?

Yeah, it's just a set of background cameos/easter eggs. In this thread we spotted the photo with Forge in ep 4. And some Youtube comments spotted him in ep 5 soon after the ep went up.

Full list is here.
https://comicbookclublive.com/2024/...0for%20Ep.%203.

Also, Bastion's origins spin out of the X-Men: TAS s4 episodes 'One Man's Worth'. There we see all 'three' of his parents and the events that led to his birth.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Arist posted:

To my understanding TV writing is very collaborative, he probably wrote the bones of the scripts at least though

DeMayo has posted about that too. In a bunch of replies to this tweet.

https://x.com/joeflogotta/status/1782139633658388824?s=46&t=358N-EjOZD-eCZ03iPTJfA

Most of his responses are captured in this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/s/wqkPoaVeFS

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 3, 2024

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I get the show rules. It is crazy how many people online seem to have decided de Mayo needs to come back considering there were also issues with him when he worked on the Witcher.

It’s up to each of us as individuals to decide to assume the best or the worst of him. Short of DeMayo being a literal abuser of some kind, the main thing ‘we’ care about is the final quality of the show and DeMayo seems a good person to deliver that.

One of the many things he’s mentioned on Twitter is that ‘not many eyes’ were on them for season 1. Maybe Marvel wanted starting putting more eyes on it for S2 and some schism emerged from that? Maybe Beau lost his cool at some point? At this point none of us know, but I don’t think it’s safe to assume Marvel’s reason was something we as viewers would care about.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

They want money above all else, they will allow a lot if they don’t think it stands in the way of money.

Yes, and maybe their idea of how to make that money differed from De Mayo’s enough to result in the firing.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Ghost Rider was amazing in FF:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Skios posted:

* The Prime Sentinels being unaffected by Magneto's EMP stunt once again makes me wonder whether Magneto being released was part of Bastion's plan.

The Primes were all frozen. That'll also be how Sunspot and Jubilee escaped. The later sentinels were specifically said to be directly controlled by Bastion's abilities.