Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My robot is named Edward and he likes to eat trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Frances Nurples posted:

hahaha ~2hrs in and i have a tiny inefficient heap that makes magnets and gears. i'm real bad at this.

Nah just build poo poo and have fun. Lots of people in this thread have been playing similar building and manufacturing games like factorio for years, but this is my first real crack at the genre and I'm having fun with my spaghetti conveyors everywhere and figuring out how to hot patch in the next whatever I need.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just wing it!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im now building a secondary factory in my second system and may have forgotten to bring warp fuel with me . :negative:

This is the content I came here for.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Do thermal plants generate more energy with higher energy fuels, or does the fuel just last longer per cycle?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I restarted and then felt silly when I realized that I could have just ripped everything down and rebuilt in my existing save with all of my technology saved. Worst case just launch yourself into space and go to another solar system.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Boogalo posted:

Embrace the spaghetti. This is way too complicated but it took 2 hours and it works. Oil comes out the back.

Verticality in this is much more fun/interesting than satisfactory.

This is absolutely how all of my poo poo is. It’s like legacy software - please don’t touch it, no we don’t know how it works, just incorporate the output into your new systems.

I had a half assed attempt to make a mall at one point and my blue research kinda grew over the top of that. After installing a functioning red research area my blue research was the new bottleneck, so I found a line of stalled out copper plates and routed them into a new chain to make more blue research. Were they part of the abandoned mall? An oversupply for the existing blue research facilities? Something more important? Who knows!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My entire system is based on the philosophy of Just Let It Ride and I have not regretted that for a second.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I got the Drive Engine 3 upgrade that says it increases mecha sail speed by 1,000 m/s, but when I launch into space I'm still stuck at 100 m/s. Is there a key or something that I can use to accelerate faster? I seem to get up to 120 m/s as I'm closing in on my target planet but otherwise pressing space or w doesn't get me past 100 m/s in interplanetary space.

Nessus posted:

Friendly robot Chinese guy lied to me! Do stacked tanks interconnect at least

Stacking is like adding a multiplier to whatever the building normally does. If you stack 2 research buildings you get twice as much research or twice as much cube production. If you stack two storage buildings you get twice as much storage.

All buildings in a stack are connected for input/output purposes, so you don't need feeds at every level, but all buildings in a stack are linked together when it comes to what they're producing.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 28, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Gadzuko posted:

Shift accelerates. Also drains energy really fast.

Oh poo poo thank you!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jossar posted:

Man, tough crowd. A dyson ring (and by extension, any dyson swarm) is technically a dyson sphere anyway, since it surrounds the star and uses a significant portion of it's energy output. And the game agrees, since it's in the dyson sphere category. What you guys are thinking of is a dyson shell. :colbert:

For the purpose of this post providing something other than complete pedantry, I present these reddit builds that do totally surround the star (or are closing in on doing so):

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dyson_Sphere_Program/comments/l6zzn0/this_hurt_me_on_a_physical_level/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dyson_Sphere_Program/comments/l6werc/finally_finished_my_first_sphere/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dyson_Sphere_Program/comments/l7c8kh/a_nearly_finished_dyson_sphere_and_flying_through/

The job isn't done until we've caged the sun.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 29, 2021

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Travic posted:

Man I am bad at this game. I can't stop playing it though.

I just got a real logistics system set up and the game really takes off once you reach that stage. Is there any downside (besides power) for using all interstellar towers? Interplanetary tower just seem strictly worse.

I find the planetary towers are easier to make when you first start on the logistics system, but yeah if you can afford it there's no reason not to always use interstellar.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

So am i crazy for wanting to start again?

I've only made it up to the point where i unlocked the red research cubes but it it feels like my entire production chain isn't properly set up to be scalable.

I think part of why that is because i'm not sure what materials are eventually going to be needed for another material which in turn goes into a 3rd one etc until after i've researched new things, etc.

So as a result i'm going back and having to rejig and cram other stuff together rather than what is probably the sensible thing of:

Finding an ore deposit and setting stuff up to massively stockpile the ore (with massive production facilities)
From this massive stockpile, branch things off to make massive stockpiles of the 1 or 2 items produced from that ore.
Siphon things from these massive stockpiles into the next items they produce.

It seems really obvious when i type it out but i feel like the game hasn't really introduced the concept of scalability too well. Like it's "build a thing to get a resource to plug it into the other, oh here's the next thing unlocked, time to move on". Working that way has led me to make a lot of bottlenecks because i've only got like one thing of one time being produced at a time.

Like it's a small thing but even just some kind of goals around generating x volume of [product] per second would encourage me to set things up properly to begin with.

You’re not crazy for feeling this way, but there are ways to stay in your original save and continue progressing at a pretty good clip. Once you unlock planetary and interplanetary logistics and the 2nd solar sail upgrade that lets you go 1,000 m/s, you can start replacing some spaghetti with planetary logistics stations so they can fill the demand of multiple projects and setup interplanetary supply chains.

I had some oil rigs that were making hydrogen and burning off refined oil, and others that were making refined oil and burning off hydrogen. The logistics stations basically doubled my available hydrogen and refined oil in exchange for some wind turbines replacing the power output. I’ve also dealt with ever more complex part needs by setting up part chains on the lava and ice planets in my system and shipping them back to my home planet to “black box” their production - once everything is set up properly these complex parts just magically appear in the interplanetary logistics station, which helps reduce the complexity immediately in front of me. As others here have mentioned, you can do the opposite too where you move your end of line production to a new planet and just use your starter planet as the black box resource generator. A lot of the fun of this game comes from its flexibility in how you can advance.

My biggest fear about restarting is that I am just a step or two away from feeling the same way about something else, which will cause me to want to restart for a different reason. Powering through with a mixture of upgrading to logistics stations in existing supply chains and setting up new supply chains in a better way (and potentially off planet) has proven successful for me without losing any progress. For reference I just finished all red/blue/yellow research and will spend today setting up my purple research chains, which right now involves shipping copper plates from my lava planet to my ice planet, where I can exploit silicon mines to make processors to ship to my main planet and plug into purple research generators.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

That's maybe a good way to deal with the excessive spaghetti of conveyors. Like I was going to try and build an equator power belt of solar and wind, but perhaps there could also be a raised set of conveyors above them going both clockwise and anticlockwise for all things produced on the southern and northern hemisphere to flow into and out of. Though the interplanetary logistics centre i read about probably makes that sort of system redundant as you can just ship from A - B anywhere on the planet with those right?

edit: yup, guess it will be based on what's mentioned above.

Actually, is it quite easy to find another planet like your starter one that's rich in most of the resources you need?

I haven't ventured out of my solar system yet, but I have a lava planet dense in iron and copper with a smaller amount of stone and titanium, and an ice planet dense with iron and titanium with a smaller amount of silicon. Both are great for building up my solar system wide production chain but neither are a good substitute for the home planet, as they're both missing oil and coal (I think each has a tiny 4 coal patch to let you create and store mecha fuel).

I've also been diverting my blue/red/yellow research cubes into huge storage stacks so I can unleash the flood gates once I get purple online - it's helped me feel less like I'm wasting time when I'm reworking existing supply chains and setting up new ones.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mrmcd posted:

What happens if you run out of energy warping between stars and you don't have any more warps?

You load the save you remembered to make before you took off.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I feel like asteroids would make a nice middle ground - you could have advanced materials in small quantities randomly scattered in your system. Then when you run out of those as you're gaining interstellar travel you are forced to go to other stars to shore up your production.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe thats the amount allocated for your own use instead of whats being reserved to run Homeland's 2nd Life MegaServer :v:

This is what I figured as well. The holographic AI sex bots consume a lot of power!

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

For hydrogen I just have a chunk of my main planet dedicated to hydrogen power generation and a logistic station funneling it all in. That way I can set my production chains to just dump it into logistics and either burn it off or use it as necessary. If I ever run out of hydrogen for other purposes I just turn off the chutes and my hydrogen stocks go back up.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mrmcd posted:

Finally got babies first quantum chips > green cubes pipeline setup and it's spitting out a whole 18 cubes / minute after like 2 hours of work.

:negative:

Dehumanize yourself and face towards logistics towers.

This is how all of my research started, and then I just keep dumping time and buildings into expanding that color until I run out of research I can do without the next color. I haven't even touched the dyson sphere stuff yet. For reference I just finished purple and I am currently on my ice planet doing a gigantic buildout of titanium glass for green.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Scaevolus posted:

I really wish I had set 10x or 100x resources or used a good seed when starting. Now I'm 20 hours in and my single vein of silicon in the solar system is half depleted to 250k left after doing the purple research items.

Time to figure out how to run that depletion-free mining mod!

Overall I like the restrictions DSP has over Factorio-- the finite space and resources encourages you to be a little more careful with your designs.

I cranked it up to infinite and I don’t regret it for a second, as the experience is much more zen like when you can set something up and know it’ll be working for you forever.

Also I’m literally ripping this planet apart to enslave the sun - don’t fuckin tell me there’s only a few bags of silicon here.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Phssthpok posted:

I set up a buildings bus opposite my materials bus, for a one-stop shop to annex a new planet.

Busses are not great in this game, but I like how they make me feel like a kid in a candy store.

Yeah I’ve thought about doing this with logistics towers porting everything into one spot so I can have my manufacturing facilities wherever.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Alkydere posted:

So something I like about this game is that I assume the program sent out several Icarus units to build Dyson Spheres.

So considering the size of the galaxy, all of our games are basically canon and we're basically working together building giant power plants hosting virtual worlds. That may or may not be shaped like Dickbutt.

Yeah my head cannon is that everyone is living in fully automated luxury space communism and there’s mechs that go around and build more Dyson spheres to help fuel it all. This is why my save will not be complete until I’ve enslaved every star in this cluster in the name of glorious space communism :black101:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is there any way to stop this drat message from repeating every time I start the game and touch the foundation button? I've disabled tips in settings, that's not it. Also happens with a bunch of other things like production stats.

Foundation, a terrain leveling tool, yet we cannot use it to change the planetary landforms at will. We can only level the surface to ground zero. If the foundation is used for high grounds, it will gain soil pile; on the contrary, if it is used on the ocean or low-lying areas, it must consume soil pile. When installing the foundation, either choose a kind of decoration, or without decoration, even only surface leveling.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I’m a scrub so I just stumble around my home planet and grab whatever poo poo I need for my next poorly optimized addition.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

IcePhoenix posted:

I think the last eight or nine hours of my playtime has mainly just been me figuring out a green cube production line. I am not remotely close to finished.

My lava planet engine production line is gonna be sweet though.

I have an ice planet that has silicon, iron, and titanium that was mining/smelting/shipping only. For green I shipped in other items (mainly copper/hydrogen/fire ice) and slapped all my production on the ice planet and just ship back the green cubes. It helped to have a giant blank canvas to paint the green cube production chain onto.

As of last night my horribly unoptimized chains have 5 research facilities running full time, and the new goal is to do the observe-improve-observe cycle until I have at least 20 facilities worth of green cubes churning out constantly.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The job is not done until we have enslaved every star in this cluster under the banner of glorious space communism.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I have turned my lava planet into a giant rocket and sail manufacturing center. Since there was almost nothing here for most of my play-through, I’ve made logistics stations the backbone of transit and just have mining or construction nodes dotting the surface and connected by drones, with each individual component having its own nodes. I’m sure it’s not the most efficient setup, but it makes plugging in additional production for intermediate items a whole lot easier.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Unlucky7 posted:

I am still on the starter planet, but question about power generation: Is there any real reason to move away from wind turbines if they are almost always running on 100% capacity? I have solar panels and the thermal generator but don't see much use for them on this planet anyway. perhaps if I run out of space and need the extra output?

I did the whole “cover half the planet in turbines” thing for longer than I should have. Eventually you just get sick of all the turbine placement and also need more room for production. I currently just use whatever comes out of my gas giant as fuel - my giant makes a lot more fire ice than I need and I am using hydrogen to make deuterium, so a lot of my thermal plants are running on pure fire ice due to my pure laziness.

Xinlum posted:

I set up my first 10 deuterium reactors and finally seem to be ahead of the power curve. When's a good time to start launching sails? I haven't touched sails or guns or anything really. I think my next goal is to ship deuterium rods to my other planets for mass iron/silicone/chips.

I waited until I was launching structure rockets. The sails deteriorate if they’re not in place with structure and I didn’t feel the power generation from a sail ring would be worth it.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Jarmak posted:

Don't really have a unified theory on this but I've noticed while trying to scale up to mass factories on new planets that the numbers tend to form repeatable patterns. Because of the way so many of the ratios are 2x/3x (or the product of the two: 6x), the numbers 36 seems to pop up as a good smelter count for most resources because they are factorable by the common ratios (36 is (3^2)*(2^2)).

For example one blue engine a second requires 72 Fe/s, 18 Ecoils/s and 9 magnets/s (i.e. 36*3/4 magnets and 36*2 Fe)

As you point out this makes sense since 36 is divisible by 9, 6, 4, 3, and 2.

I choose the alternative path where I just make whatever number of everything and then run around looking at what is out of stock and slapping down a random number of smelters or fabricators to help alleviate the supply issue.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kin posted:

So, for someone who doesn't care about super efficiency (me), if I just aim to build a 36 smelter/assembler block for every item I want to make I could probably set and forget in a very lazy way? Well, as long as the last items for the dyson sphere don't need maybe 3x the output of a single 36 assembler block of an item for a constant build flow.

I do not care about efficiency and I just slap down whatever as I go, and it’s been working out just fine for me. If I need more of an ore I just cover all the available space with miners and smelt whatever comes out. After that I just run around and see what’s not running at 100% and just slap in more intermediate production until I’m back to needing more ore. I’m about halfway through the green research techs and have about 20% of my Dyson sphere structure in place and filled with sails.

I understand that some players love to spreadsheet their efficiencies and I appreciate ya’ll, I really do, but I just want to chill out and slowly slide towards victory.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

K8.0 posted:

I liked it at first but I'm really struggling to enjoy this game at all. It's so goddamn tedious compared to Factorio, every time I fire it up or tab in I look at how much loving time I have to spend just to automate the most basic things and it makes me not want to play. I'm talking early game too - I've yet to put more than a few hours into a save because spaghetti in this game is just so un-fun because of how tedious building and re-building is. What approach are you guys taking that makes it enjoyable for you?

The only rework I’ve ever done is to transition some output to logistic towers. I’ve always just let my spaghetti stay there and either do it’s thing or find the output and use it for something else. If it works ok just let it work and focus on something else - the goal is to cage the sun not to perfectly optimize the planet.

If you find the spaghetti too distracting to have fun then yeah this may just not be the game for you. The only alternative would be to look someplace like Reddit where people show off their perfectly optimized loops and grab those and run with them.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

If you’re not having fun because you’re doing too much rework try doing less rework and just let your past work output whatever it can. If you aren’t able to have fun and “let it ride” like that and you also do not have fun with chasing endless optimization then maybe this just isn’t a game for you?

If your existing production gives you x and you want it to give you 2x you can just duplicate if somewhere else instead of knocking it down and reworking it to give you 2x.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I find this much faster than factorio, just being able to grab belts and say "all this goes over here now" and run it straight over the top of the buildings, by itself makes it way less tedious. Like you barely have to think about layouts at all you can just patch poo poo in wherever.

To be honest I find the “let’s just patch this poo poo in over here” aspect to be a fun part of DSP.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Does the fractionator use power for every hydrogen it attempts to convert or only for those it successfully converts? Based on a 1% conversion chance it looks like it’d use more power than particle colliders per unit of deuterium, unless it only spends power for a successful conversion.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Can you just make the loop cycle through a tank and have the tank partially full of hydrogen? As long as your belts are crammed full at the start of the loop you should be able to have a T intersection right before the tank that feeds from a logistic tower and the intersection should only let through hydrogen that is replacing hydrogen spent in the last trip through the loop, so you should stay stable at the amount of hydrogen in the tank?

Also per the above comment you could put a T intersection before each fractionator?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

DelphiAegis posted:

This is why all the loops that I have fractionators sitting on are fed with a T junction only, not a splitter. The input is the "base" of the T, as the game logic dictates that the belt moving straight has priority and will always be moving, as such the input belt will only add until the loop is full.

I've only had it clog when the deuterium output is backed up. Once I grabbed some off just to test it they all started running again without issue.

Yeah this is what I was imagining with T junctions so I’m glad to hear it works.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Khorne posted:

I want to be the physics consultant for the devs so I can get rid some of the tech tree tooltips & change dyson sphere power from ~10^10 to ~10^26 watts. Thanks in advance devs. While you're at it, a 2.5x power bonus for the biggest o-type is pathetic add a zero or two to the end there.

but seriously, this game would be 100x cooler if the developers knew more about physics because the real version of any of this game is way cooler than the game which is already cool

They’re keeping the energy output low to keep game balance. If you want an in game explanation just assume they’re sending most of the energy generated by the sphere back to the simulation you came from, since that’s the reason you’re building in the first place.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

In the start the game mentions that you have to get used to the rules of this universe so I guess you could just say that you’re surfing the multiverse for places you can harvest energy from. That would also explain why you are researching things that are already “known” by civilization.

I guess I’m just satisfied that the game is fun.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Finished my first sphere and am now heading out to start the next one. We shall cage every star in the name of glorious space communism.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So when setting up an outpost, the supply side tower doesn’t need power, ships, or warpers as long as the demand side tower has power, ships, and warpers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Now that I’ve landed in a second system to Dyson sphere I’ve decided to automate building production. Before this I was just grabbing components and making everything by hand. Now I’m just making buildings wherever on the planet and using drones to fly them to a “mall” at the pole that’s just a bunch of interstellar stations, which will eventually allow me to export the mall wherever I go.

Automating buildings makes life a whole lot easier and I wish I had done this earlier.