Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I got this game the other day and I'm well hooked. Is it normal for your starting system to only have one silicon vein? I'm worried I'm gonna tap it out and I'm not sure how hard it's gonna be to get interstellar logistics going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

zoux posted:

And no, you should have a planet with a couple of million Si, at least I did out of my 15 saves.

Nope, only my inner lava planet had any at all and it was literally one vein in the low 6 digits. I checked it against the total resources in the system map and that was 100% of it.

Zurai posted:

Don't forget that you can crunch raw stone into silicon at a smelter. It's slow and extremely inefficient, but it can help supplement other sources until you get interplanetary drones going.

Yeah I’ve been doing this, got concentric sushi belt factories around a couple of stone supplies, cranking out the orange computer chip things (on phone so looking up the proper name is :effort:) and solar panels.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is Universe Exploration 3 functional? It's supposed to let me view veins within 6 light years but I'm looking at systems 3 light years away and it's not giving me any info on the resources.

e: Never mind, I think I was zooming in too far. I can't see veins on individual planets but I can see "signal detected" if I just select the star.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 15, 2021

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Talkc posted:

Its a frustrating control scheme.

Yeah this is my only issue with the game. Trying to build belts that use the Z-axis is really frustrating and annoying with how you try to extend it another square and it’ll completely reroute itself to a different destination.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Is it possible to mod out the noise the ray receivers make? Every time I'm working near one I have to hit mute because that humming drone drives me insane

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ambaire posted:

I don't know when they changed it, but the game is literally unplayable for me due to the menu select sound literally giving me a headache due to the grating high pitched effect. It's like nails on a chalkboard or something... ugh. All the other sounds are fine; it's just this one.

it's not an ideal solution but if it's literally unplayable then just turn the sound off? it's what i do around ray collectors which drive me insane in the same way. it's not like sound is in any way necessary to play the game. chuck some music on or something

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

lol same, I get so lost on my home planet I literally spend several minutes trying to find something.

I had the same problem and hit on a workaround just before finally finishing my sphere - stick a stack of containers outside your each of your main production centres and put one of whatever you’re producing there in the top one. The stack will stand out from the mess of belts and factories and logistics stations and have the icon there easily identifiable

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ice Fist posted:

Same goes for mining. We have solved the mysteries of the universe and built a giant sphere around a star to collect its energy, but our mining technology is... pedestrian.

mining has an entire infinite tech line devoted to upgrading it though

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

otoh i've finished two runs without doing any maths at all. if you run out of a raw resource just get more of it. if you're not manufacturing something fast enough, upgrade your manufactories or build more of them. if your belts are backing up, upgrade them. :shrug:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

SkyeAuroline posted:

[*]I want to do something with the black hole in my cluster but I don't know what

Maybe a black hole research station that directly produces white cubes but has to be powered via antimatter rods delivered by logistics?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Can you even get planets with literal oceans of acid? I’ve only ever seen a smattering of large lakes and maybe a Caspian Sea or two

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You’re insane

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also Ice Fist is super into building massive amounts of late game poo poo, multiple dyson spheres, crazy setups for infinitely recurring tech, long past the point most players stop. For a normal game the oil on your starter planet should be sufficient; I built a sphere without ever needing to import it. (Although the planet was getting close to dry.) Without infinite resources you'll likely run out of iron and copper on your starter but you'll need to import other resources anyway and importing more of the two most common isn't a big deal at all. Even the transition was quite simple - I just deleted my tapped out mining machines and replaced them with IPLs (spaceports) connected to the same loop of belts feeding my smelters. You don't need to move at all, just expand.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I still managed to exhaust the copper on my starter. You need quite a lot of magnets

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You guys know nothing, NOTHING of spaghetti. When I played my first run I didn’t realise that sorters could reach further than one square, which made supplying assemblers requiring multiple materials... interesting. And messy.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah there’s no reason to ever restart. Even if you can’t be bothered fixing up your homeworld, just fly to a new planet and start over there and save yourself having to research everything again

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

andyf posted:

I've had a save game since a long ways ago, before the drag-create patch hit to make life easier - I'd like to continue on with the current game, but I vaguely recall there being some changes I wouldn't see unless I started a whole new game - was that purely around resource seeding on other planets or were there more fundamental changes under the hood I'm missing out on by carrying on with a save?

e - if it's just resource frequency/quantity out in the stars, I'll carry on since I'm at the interstellar logistics phase already
e -- save file dates back to 0.6.15

There’s new planet types you won’t see without a new game, and one or two new buildings which need new tech to unlock which may or may not be available in an old save, I’m not sure

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Olothreutes posted:

A few tries into this game, and probably about 15 hours in, I have realized that I am going about everything the wrong way entirely. Oops. Time to adjust basically everything and see if that changes anything.

The good news is that even if your starter system is beyond fixing you can just fly to another system and start over but with more tech

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Cimber posted:

I dont know how any system is beyond fixing, unless you have wasted a ton of raw materials on things you don't need. You can just deconstruct everything and shove them into crates and then rebuild better.

Yeah, I meant more “too much effort to fix”

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

star eater posted:

this game still getting updates isn't it?

it's been quiet lately but i assume that's because they're busy working on the combat update which will be a big one

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

it's unambiguously a speed up and i certainly could not understand anyone who considers it a teleport

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

euphronius posted:

You can burn oil or just put it in tanks and then delete the tanks

But the oil will be devastated :(

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

to build my sphere first i built the stuff to make the stuff for the rockets, then i built the rockets, so your plan sounds solid to me

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

totalnewbie posted:

Last time I played was before blueprints, what does "spray" refer to?

cum

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You have more planets than you could ever use let alone fill, there’s really no reason to worry about space.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah iirc artificial suns are where the real power production of a sphere comes from. Which felt like a bit of a let down, I agree. After going to all the trouble to build the drat thing you still have to jump through more hoops to really harness it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

also, Tinder is the key to enemy buildings

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I signposted my factories with big stacks of storage crates with the top one containing a single unit of the relevant resource

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Does "spray everything" apply to buildings too? eg do my wind turbines make more energy/smelters smelt more efficiently/etc if I spray them

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

i have now discovered the satisfaction of building tiling black box blueprints

my ratios may be bad but w/e still happy

i have no idea what tiling black box blueprints are but ratios can gently caress off

when i run out of something i build more factories for it. if my belt/sorter isn't moving poo poo fast enough i upgrade it. this strat has worked well enough for two dyson spheres so far

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I used up the copper on my starter planet slightly before the iron in my current run, not sure how. I think there may have been significantly less copper to start with

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just chuck down an ILS for each group of ore patches I'm mining and feed them directly into it, usually around 3 or so. It might be slightly more power efficient to use PLS beyond the first one on the planet but it's not hard to just chuck down an extra power plant or two.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just recently played my first run since they were added. Only really dabbled in them. The first one I made was an IPL mining outpost setup with some deuterium plants and import settings for rods, warpers, and spray. Also ended up making some for smelter arrays and a modular one for expanding my row of white science towers towards the end. If I’d played on into the late late game and started throwing spheres up in every system then I’d probably have used them a lot more as I scaled everything up.

The only blueprint I got from online was one for my sphere because I did that manually last time and gently caress doing it again. I don’t really see the point if you’re grabbing all the super optimised designs other people have uploaded because are you even really playing the game at that point? If that’s how others enjoy DSP then power to them but to me that’s like using a walkthrough all the way through a puzzle game.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 8, 2022

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

OTOH in both my runs I kept it as my manufacturing centre, importing all my ore from mining outposts on other systems. I’d never be able to keep track of things if I had different planets making different poo poo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

the mechanic is tedious but it's thematically appropriate that we're bulldozing the swiss alps to fill in the med and cover it in engine factories

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I just turn foundation decorations off so it's aesthetically pleasing without having to cover every last tile in foundation

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Weirdly you shouldn't use your sphere to make power directly, instead use photon mode and make antimatter cells and those miniature sun plants.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I use them. Some things don’t need mk3 and it’s easy enough to upgrade the things that do

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

andyf posted:

In case you haven’t already, disable the rendering of the sphere / swarm. You won’t see it when flying around or on a planet but you’ll hopefully get an FPS improvement

what the gently caress is even the point of playing if you can't see your sphere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

it's not called invisible sphere program, jesus

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 30, 2023