Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Dixon Chisholm posted:

My cat might die tonight. Add it to the pile.

My condolences, that's the pits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Peanut President posted:

jimmy carter (the guy mondale was vp for) put solar panels on the roof of the white house in 1978 so maybe

carter styled the solar panels (really solar heaters, but w/e) as a symbol of national energy independence and not environmental conservation. this was a response to the OPEC embargo. there’s every sign his crew would have been just as susceptible to the domestic shale oil/fracking/LNG interests as, say, Obama

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

joepinetree posted:

Ms. Decolonize your plate and eat sugar literally works for a company that uses children from Mali as slaves to harvest cocoa.

decolonize your plate and face to bloodsugar

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Ytlaya posted:

This guy posts a chart that directly contradicts what he says lol

I was expecting him to post some chart of average real wages or something similarly misleading, but no - he posts the good chart! And then just claims it says something that it doesn't.

The most generous way I can interpret it is that the guy simply forgot when COVID started and thought that it was 2022 or something.

what’s the good chart

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
my family is doing just fine savings and wage-wise in recent years especially as compared to when i quit my teaching job in 2020-2021 for what should be obvious reasons

but the pandemic has really made it emphatically clear to me that “the economy” is a cast iron misery machine fueled by blood and I no longer have any positive feelings about it, where does that put me

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

comedyblissoption posted:

pelosi cites the uighur genocide as a reason to ban tiktok
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1767954130859893044

it’s just obscene for these people to accuse the chinese of genocide when we can all see what an actual factual genocide looks like in gaza. just obscene. the wild-rear end squinting-at-a-satellite-photo *allegations* against china aren’t even in the same league as the israeli atrocities i can watch same day in 4K HDR on my phone

this sucks man

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Jen heir rick posted:

The enslavement of the goblin things is basically treated as a joke. Like, Hermione tries to raise awareness of the goblins plight, and everyone just kinda laughs it off. "That's Hermione for you, her and her crazy ideas".

no, you’ve got it mixed up. the house elves are the slaves, the goblins are the race of scheming hook-nosed moneylenders.

Strangelet Wave has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Mar 17, 2024

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
oh my god lol

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

sullat posted:

It's funny, too, I went to a 'good' high school in a fairly prosperous district so our high school was fairly well funded. Just got a teacher who was a bit of a dud. We had a second high school in our district which was where all the 'troublemakers' and pregnant teens and special needs kids would get sent to, which I thought was weird at the time, but now realize was probably a way to segregate the school system so that the 'good' high school would get good stats and we can just ignore the 'bad' high school.

that was how No Child Left Behind worked, if your school is bad they take funding away. that way the bad schools have an incentive to become good schools

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Some Guy TT posted:

genuinely kind of baffled why anyone outside england treats this as significantly democratic given that all it did was make it harder for the king to tax aristocrats so he had to start bullying peasants for their lunch money instead

liberty is the vibe you get when you throw in with the cause of the petite noblesse even if (especially if) you’re actually a peasant. the name of that cause is “democracy”

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Egg Moron posted:

it's a goon project and so doomed to fail

“build so much housing”. yes. alright so is the plan to eminent domain vacant properties and build dense public housing on them, or is it more like the standard issue YIMBY upzoning for ADUs on single-family home lots type of thing

because if it’s the latter, and the private landlords are still the ones who own the buildings, promising that rents will go down in the future is absolutely the best way to insure that nobody builds new rental housing

i am not clicking the link

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

mags posted:

my “I love genocide, anime, and tabletop RPGs” t-shirt has people asking a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

a “soviet refugee” as old as this guy looks would barely have crossed the starting line by the final years of perestroika, which—if he has any specific memories of it at all—casts a certain light on his testimony

anyway that’s as much as I’m going to think about this guy because I value my time and blood pressure

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

this could have been a good one

because so many people conflate ”heritable” with “genetic” and “trait” with “phenotype” due to the scientistic discourse we got going on these days, it automatically feels racist when someone says that success is a heritable trait. but indeed this is strictly true. success, wealth, test scores, college matriculation, and various other traits are indeed highly heritable, though none of course is quite as heritable as the single most heritable trait of all, street address.

the fact of the heritability of success is on the shortlist of indictments of capitalism. that’s an argument this tweet could have made

but a cursory investigation does suggest that this person is indeed doing calipers-to-the-brainpan scientific racism

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!
shut the gently caress up zegermans

e: quick on the draw tonight

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Gripweed posted:

It’s not an issue of heritability. It’s just normal generally for people to end up in a similar line of work as their parents.

that’s heritability, it’s the degree of correlation between your traits and your immediate ancestors’ traits. career is highly heritable, but it’s not genetic

by contrast the number of fingers on your right hand is highly genetic, but not very heritable

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Majorian posted:

I dunno, I feel like overall death toll should count for something...

Obama was certainly the biggest disappointment/waste of potential though.

immediate death toll + actual factual stolen election are together definitive, imo

but there’s something to be said about the people who strenuously insist that their guys are actually just the second-worst guys possible, and no worse, and you’re welcome

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

SixteenShells posted:

a correlation coefficient of 1 is pretty strong correlation

the number of fingers on the right hand of a parent is very nearly independent of the number of fingers on the right hand of their child, so the correlation between those traits is close to zero

plot child fingers vs. parent fingers and you get a very nearly horizontal line for young children and a very nearly uniform scatter plot for old children. there are some heritable genetic traits that will give you an unusual number of fingers, but these are extremely rare compared to nonheritable congenital traits and, by far the biggest determinant of finger number, workplace accidents.

workplace accidents are somewhat heritable to the degree that career is heritable, but the process of workplace finger loss is nevertheless stochastic enough (and these days, rare enough) that even among parents and children who share a career, finger number is not strongly correlated

maybe this was different among past generations of extended families working together in dismal Victorian hell-mills, I don’t know. “heritable” and even “correlation” are terms subject to some word-play in different contexts, too. but heritable traits don’t necessarily imply genetic inheritance, and genetic inheritance doesn’t necessarily imply heritable traits.

e:

VitalSigns posted:

Nearly everyone has the same number of fingers on their right hand as their parents though.

Downs' syndrome would be an example of a trait that's genetic but not very heritable.

so instead I’d say it like this: practically all parents with five fingers on the right hand have kids with five fingers on the right hand. practically all parents with four fingers on the right also have kids with five fingers on the right. and practically all parents with three fingers on the right have kids with five on the right. and likewise for parents with two, one, or zero fingers on the right, they almost all have kids with five on the right. therefore parent finger number has low correlation with kid finger number. it doesn’t matter that the first category (five & five) is by far the biggest one, correlation measures the degree to which changes in one variable match with changes in another variable and these two variables don’t tend to change together

Down’s syndrome is indeed 100% genetic but not very heritable, classic example of such a thing

Strangelet Wave has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Mar 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's kind of smug reductionism is loving insane.

Get a Lithuanian passport and go home, bitch.

he’s annoyed that anyone is even asking the question, when the matter has manifestly been settled. actually he’s amused. he’ll become bored, later