Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Won’t know for sure until launch (unless this has been data mined?) but here’s the skinny on hammer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWpVG-42ZMk

Basically, charged hammer is now a stance that gets you some new moves and you can swap between normal and charged. In World there was a bit more upkeep (and you’d lose it when hit or sheathed, I think) but you would get more damage and knockout damage from it. It’s not clear if that’s the case here in Rise as there’s no apparentl drawback to just switching to it and staying on it forever?

Switching "down" from blue to yellow makes you dash forward a bit and instantly gives you a level 3 charge, so switching does have its uses (plus the level 3 charge attack is different between the stances).

Tender Bender posted:

I always have fun with Charge Blade until I hit a monster that gives me trouble, then I feel like I'm spending way too much time in sword mode just trying to get hits in to build phials and it's not very satisfying. Maybe I should keep it as my backup weapon for farming monsters I've already figured out?

I've always loved Hunting Horn, I think I'll stick with that as my main even with the new version.

In theory, the silkbind counter that instantly fills your phials when it absorbs an attack should help greatly with your complaint.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
edit: loving hell, accidentally double posted

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they're using an early PC build to show off the game in videos. The demo seems to have some slow-down occasionally, so I'm bracing myself for a "less than rock-solid 30 FPS" experience.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Speaking of performance, Digital Foundry just published their tech review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiVgTBROwNY

TL;DW: Framerate stays at 30 most of the time, with occasional slowdowns into the mid-to-high 20s. Huge caveat: he hasn't been able to test multiplayer yet.

Edit: And Arekkz has just published a spoiler-free review talk with his mates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZfDgSIFiE

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Harrow posted:

Have any reviews talked about the variety of weapon designs? From what I can see in the videos I've watched it looks much better than World on that front, and if that's the case I'm very excited.

I've seen a couple reviews that have pointed out that the weapon design is much more varied than in World, yeah.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I am going to get the physical release because I hate having to manage save data on my Switch but also so I do not stay up until 5am playing on Friday morning. Very unfortunate

Are you talking about game data or your save files? Because the latter is saved on your Switch no matter whether you go digital or physical.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

bbcisdabomb posted:

The PowerA wireless controllers are pretty good, they just feel cheap. They're $40-50 on Amazon but I could have sworn Gamestop sells them for $25.

At $40-50 you're better off just getting an 8bitdo.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hear good things from that one where you take the guts out from an official Nintendo dock and put it in the smaller shell.

That's not going to help someone who wants a second dock to avoid having to unplug things, though.

If I had to buy a dock right now, I would probably go for the one made by Genki, but that's really pricey and may be overkill for what OP is trying to do.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Shipping 4 million copies is easier than selling them, though. Shipping just means that they went to a retailer.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
The major downside I find with using the d-pad to switch items is that you can't easily do that while you're running, e.g. away from a monster.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Will I ever be able to recruit buddies that are higher than level 5? In MHGU it was tied to quests/hub progress, but I haven't found anything to that effect in Rise yet.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Triarii posted:

As soon as you get to high rank, the level cap for recruitable buddies jumps up to 18 or 19.

That's good to know, thanks!

Incidentally, does anyone have any thoughts or a guide on which skills/moves are good to have on buddies in this game?

Edit: scrolled past 100s of shitposts on reddit and found this pretty decent overview.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 30, 2021

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

tote up a bags posted:

Do I really just have to run rampage over and over until I guess these drat Kamura tickets

No, you can just get Geologist 3 from crafting leather armor and do the first quest that has you collecting lanterns in the shrine. Takes like 30-60 seconds to complete if you have access to the subcamp.

Also, is there a "best" way of going about melding things?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Gunlance: man blast dash is so fun. Also man blast dash feels like it is not your greatest option half the time lol. It’s so weird to see a big attack coming and just... stand there and poke the monster. I kept getting the feeling that actually I should be going for the charged shelling style not the unload all your bullets into the face style (I crafted Rathian with high level Normal shelling)

If you're worried about what you "should" do in terms of playing "optimally", you should be using a long gunlance and charged shelling, but only for the ability to get into wyrmstake faster (hold A, release > back on the stick + A), guard reload, rinse and repeat. But using blast dash to go into a full blast is a) fun and b) not the worst thing to do, especially once you have load shells active.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What actually gives all those Artillery levels? I'm using sticky/cluster LBG so I have 3 artillery too but I think I needed to use Basarios arms until I got more of the decos.

I think I got a charm with 1 artillery but didn't seem worth the slot over what else could be in there

The absolutely hideous Rhenoplos Gloves provide 2 Artillery if I'm not mistaken.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Wildtortilla posted:

So I'm finally at HR stuff. I just upgraded my basarios armor to level 5 because I was starting to take way too much damage at the end of normal.

I'm looking at rampage skills for my weapon, the Canyne Cannon II and I'm turn between defense boost 3 or wyrmstake boost.

The defense boost skill changes the GL's "defense boost" stat from 5 to 35. What is that defense boost? Is that to my normal defense or is it when I'm blocking or something else entirely?

I also have no idea what the significance of one "damage level" of wyrmstake Cannon is.

Any ideas?

AFAIK, an "extra damage level" of WS makes it so that a GL with, for example, a shelling level of 4 puts out WS at shelling level 5. So, in other words, it's completely wasted on a weapon that already has shelling level 5, and I can't think of a good reason not to run one of those as soon as you have access to them.

Defense boost should just be a straight-up defense increase (added to the defense from your armor), but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Oxyclean posted:

I thought I saw some big long theory craft thing with a tldr of "use the narga GS if you're getting literally any kind of attack up buff" (horn, petalace, etc.)

Yup, that seems to be the meta. But as always the question is: will the average non-speedrunner even notice the difference?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Saint Freak posted:

Having an an entire 50 less raw damage hurts big time.

Apparently it doesn't when you account for affinity and sharpness. Here's the effort post on reddit where someone crunched the numbers.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is there a way to signal your Palico/Palamute to knock you out of stuns/sleep in this game? Pinging does nothing.

Pretty sure they do it automatically. Unless you have Flinch Free, in which case they don't, because they can't.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

mightygerm posted:

Which weapons are really good at breaking multiple parts on a monster? I would guess GL and CB, but anything else? I'm thinking of making a partbreaker build for multiplayer.

Git you some blunt force trauma. I have no issues breaking parts with a hammer, though obviously that doesn't help with tails.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
^^^
Sure you can ignore the urgent quests, but then you won't be able to move on to the next tier of quests and thus monsters. I didn't particularly enjoy the rampage quests, but they'll take ~20 minutes of your time (each) to complete. It's bearable.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I've only been playing the singleplayer missions because my internet is rural garbage

Just out of curiosity: have you tried playing online? Monster Hunter seems to be extremely forgiving in terms of connection. I'm from Germany and seem to get paired with Japanese people almost exclusively (:thunk:), but can play with them without any issues.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 14, 2021

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Is there a recommended LBG or HBG build for dummies? All I'm really looking for is something that lets me get through rampages with even less brain activity than it currently takes with me hammer.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone else playing on Steam Deck get significantly worse performance in Elgado and the first Sunbreak map than in the base game? The base game has been very smooth, but now that I've made it to Sunbreak, it looks like performance has become a lot worse. The fan starts going all-out, temps go up to 80-85°C and even though it stays at 60 fps, something feels off - like the frame pacing is no longer consistent. This is at default ("average") settings that I also haven't changed between finishing HR and starting MR.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Are you playing modded? and what Proton are you using? I had to switch to GE-Proton for sunbreak because the default compatibility layer would not player nice with reframework and cause all sorts of hitching issues in the framerate.

(currently using GE-Proton7-55 I update every couple of months to the latest)

I'm not using any mods and haven't even set up GE, but that's a good idea, so I'll try that next. Thanks.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Rinkles posted:

Should MH have transmogs?

It already does, so I'm not sure where you're going with this?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Rinkles posted:

Oh I guess I never unlocked it in Rise?

It's called "layered armor" in Rise, and while I don't remember exactly when you unlock it, I think it's pretty early on. Maybe with HR quests or something?

Edit: HR8 is when it becomes available.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Vitamean posted:

my work has a ton of PoIs on campus and best I can tell they just are big gathering nodes that give three attempts of bone/ore/etc. instead of just one from the random nodes that spawn. maybe they influence what type of biome spawns around them too but idk for sure.

If you look at the mats in your inventory, they show you where they can be found. It seems like the small nodes have the same contents in all biomes, but the large nodes have different contents per biome.

E: just realized that the large nodes are exclusive to one biome each, so what I said is kind of a moot point.

Badly Jester fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 15, 2023

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
CB certainly isn't more complex than trying to remember which button does what during gunlance combos. That the buttons/outcomes switch around is just :psyduck:

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Someone translated it in the comments. Just server maintenance that affects the availability of some things for a short period, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Agreed, but at least there's an option to switch between name and effect.