Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
My older son just turned 11 a few months ago. Just missed it. :( I guess they can't exactly check IDs or whatever but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mush Mushi posted:

I know this is anecdotal and it really doesn’t matter at this point, but an unusual proportion of people I know had covid-like symptoms in December 2019 - February 2020 including loss of taste and smell. The common thread was that we all lived in US coastal cities that were marked as initial covid outbreaks. I never assumed that I had it because I’m not a dumbass, but wouldn’t it make sense that the virus had an opportunity to circulate for a few weeks among working age, relatively healthy people, before triggering alarm bells once it reached more vulnerable populations?

I get that we don’t want to encourage people into thinking they are immune with no proof, but I don’t think there’s a bright line where everything was the flu and then everything was covid.
So, long story short, I very much doubt it was early covid-19. I know people here, in the middle of Illinois, who reported similar - so nothing to do with coasts at all.

US death rates didn't start spiking until March/April, and with how contagious we all know covid-19 is by now, and with how frequently it is fatal or leads to long-term effects, we would have seen the US total death curve sloping upwards before its rather sharp Spring 2020 spike.

It's way more likely anything that happened in the winter 2019-20 flu season was a variety of flu.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

J posted:

I'm almost 24 hours into Pfizer2 with no side effects so far. This time around I made sure to exercise my arm before and after the shot as well as intermittently throughout yesterday and today, and the soreness is much less than pfizer1 was during the same timeframe. It feels very slightly worse than an average flu shot soreness right now. Here's hoping this continues and I don't unexpectedly get floored.
That's how mine was too. My wife, as well.

Smooth and easy Pfizer 2.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I'm picking up bar food for dinner and in the bar to pay and grab it.

lmao, I'm fully vaccinated but this is insane. Just loud, maskless shouting old dudes everywhere. Gonna get delivery next time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

dwarf74 posted:

I'm picking up bar food for dinner and in the bar to pay and grab it.

lmao, I'm fully vaccinated but this is insane. Just loud, maskless shouting old dudes everywhere. Gonna get delivery next time.
lmao my kid got a moldy burger bun.

Serves me right I guess.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheSlutPit posted:

The problem with quantifying “long covid” is that it’s currently defined as any persistent symptoms following a negative test having been infected, so for some people it could mean “I felt a bit under the weather for a few weeks after having covid,” for others it could be losing taste/smell for months after infection, for others it could be lifelong chronic illness as a result of the disease. I’ve seen CDC statistics that roughly 10% of people have “long covid” in this context but have yet to see any regarding the severity or chronic nature of their symptoms. Honestly it’s likely we won’t know the relationship for years between covid and long-term health problems, but long covid in the sense of immediate chronic illness following recovery seems pretty uncommon.
My super trumpy inlaws had covid back in December. My wife's brother, his wife, and all 4 of their kids. They think the oldest kid brought it home from a high school wrestling match of all things.

The wife is still suffering exhaustion, headaches, and taste distortions. The oldest son is at least having taste issues and maybe exhaustion, or maybe he's just a teenager. One of the younger kids still has tasting problems too. (Apparently minty stuff tastes fishy?)

So yeah she posted a whole thing about how long-term effects aren't an exaggeration. I'm just kinda sad that she - who's pretty reasonable and really nice - is the one who got the short straw and not my wife's brother who'd been bitching about how it's just the flu for months.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Conservatives have two jokes.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I ate in my first restaurant since getting my 2nd shot in mid-April.

I was nevertheless :ohdear: the whole time.

I'm visiting my parents in Eastern Tennessee and I'm more worried about getting stabbed or punched or something if I wear a mask in public than I am about catching covid while fully vaccinated. Looking forward to getting back to Illinois.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The NFL knows they can't pass a rule to force players to get vaxxed but they're putting a huge amount of pressure on teams to not gently caress it up for everyone else

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1418257495550738432

If a team has to cancel a game because of an outbreak among unvaxxed players they forfeit the game, have to pay the other team travel costs and their share of the revenue sharing, and players don't get paid. If it's an outbreak among vaxxed players the league will "seek to minimize the burden" on both clubs.
Way to go.... NFL?

Huh.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zugzwang posted:

They're good at doing the right thing when the right thing is financially prudent.
Honest question tho - won't this incentivize hiding positive results?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
"Jimmy Itsnotcovid is out this week due to an injury suffered during practice. It's absolutely not because of Covid19, and his team definitely should not be quarantining.

Of course we're telling the truth, just ask all the players who want to get paid this week!"

It's perverse incentives all over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rolo posted:

Well that didn’t take long for them to go right back to it.

Why do the vaccinated need masks?

Because you loving plague rats abused the no-masks-for-the-vaccinated honor system and now we just have to assume nobody is vaccinated, thanks.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Platystemon posted:

It’s actually because CDC is following the science on Delta, OP.
I'm not disagreeing with that, just noting we're in worse shape now in part because of fox news itself.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Pfizer isn't expecting data for 5-12 until the end of September, a few weeks later than originally anticipated. Under-5's will be several weeks/months after that. EUA for 5-12, if it comes, isn't anticipated until the end of the year.

If you have kids under 12 and can't completely isolate, probably need to come to terms with them getting COVID by the end of the year. Looking at that timeline, my kids won't be eligible until February or March, probably.
lol yeah my older son will turn 12 just months after that.

We can't completely isolate and are just leaning on our school board to implement a K-12 mask mandate this year. But yes, we view our kids getting covid as just a matter of time, which sucks since we dodged it successfully for so drat long.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I got the vaccine because it was time to shed my humanity and become Greater.

Also because I didn't want to die of a preventable disease.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

A Fancy Hat posted:

My personal hope is that (at least in more blue states) it becomes almost impossible to do anything without having gotten vaccinated or having a negative covid test and a mask on. Movie theaters, shopping, restaurants, flights. I'd think you'd get more fully vaxxed people spending money if they're not at risk of getting a breakthrough case from some moron that's in their general vicinity.

Let somebody open up their own "vax free" restaurant if they want, then I can know to avoid it and we can see how long it lasts when they can't staff the place and when half the regular patrons end up in the hospital.
Being here in Central IL the issue is that there's no actual blue states, just blue regions of states.

Southern Illinois will willfully ignore any mandates like this from the state, local authorities (police, town governments, town regulators) will defiantly refuse to comply, there will be yet more overwrought analogies to the Third Reich, and the state simply doesn't have any way to enforce compliance when refusal is at that large a scale.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Vernii posted:

Nah, they were already gearing up to fight the vaccine even when they thought he'd win re-election. Him calling it a hoax and just the flu really set the narrative in concrete no matter what else his administration did.

EDIT: IMO if Trump had won the election America's vaccine program would probably be weird schizophrenic messaging of Trump taking credit for it while also encouraging people not to take it.
The Trump administration didn't have a national plan whatsoever. The whole thing was grifters and toadies put in place because of their incompetence, not in spite of it.

We'd be lucky to be at 30% by now, imo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

OgNar posted:

I fell proud knowing that i'm living in the most dewormed America ever.

99% sure this is a parody between "JESUS CAME INSIDE ME" and "Assholes live forever"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I C U are in trouble
Sauron's Tower, but instead of an eye, it's a coronavirus

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

unbuttonedclone posted:

Anybody know what's up with Enovid? It's a nasal spray with nitric oxide in it that supposedly murders a lot of the viruses in your body. I've been following their story since they first started talking about it. One would think this would pop off around the world if it was actually so effective. You can buy it on Ebay gray market but anybody know anything else about this story? Why isn't it in the news more? Is nitric oxide not what they say it is?

I imagine killing 95% of the viruses in your body doesn't always turn out too well but this seems easy to produce/distribute (or I'm ignorant, but "nitric oxide" sounds like some basic-rear end chemical you can buy tanker trucks full of easily - not to be confused with nitrous oxide, but that'd be funny if people started doing whipits to cure COVID)

https://www.jpost.com/health-science/anti-viral-nasal-spray-effective-against-covid-19-673481

https://www.reuters.com/article/hea...s-idUSKBN2BE267
As a general rule, if it looks like snake oil, it's snake oil.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

CaptainSarcastic posted:

He got booed at his own rally over it. The GOP has caught a tiger by the tail and are surprised they can't steer it.
That's been true for a few decades at this point. Unfortunately thus far the only outcome is increasingly deranged elected officials and conspiracy grifters getting richer. Oh, and the perpetuation of a pandemic.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Colonel Cancer posted:

I bet during the plague someone was selling like artisanal sheep oil to cure it
The irony is that fake medicine was safer than what-passed-for-real medicine back then.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Arbite posted:

That's interesting. My first Moderna left barely any soreness but the second kicked he hell out of me. Would a third shot tend to have greater or lessened side effects?
Most of my friends who have had boosters felt pretty bad afterwards.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I feel like a terrible person for it, but i got really angry at a gofundme for Covid19 medical expenses - a family of four all got it, presumably unvaccinated, and now the dad is ventilated and probably going to die and leave behind two kids - one of whom just got out of the hospital.

Like, it's just absurdly irresponsible. One vaccine and that family could be whole. But no, gotta make my wife a widow to own the libs.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hydrogen Peroxide will definitely kill Covid19. Also healthy tissue. Basically anything. It's antithetical to life.

These people remember when it was used for the disinfecting of wounds. It's not used for that anymore.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fuschia tude posted:

Why isn't it?
It disinfects well, but it actually slows the healing process by killing healthy tissue, too. Ointments like neosporin are the way to go.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I hate to ask this, but do we know who this is to any extent?

She posts a lot of very satisfying twitter-bait kind of stories, and part of me is wondering if she isn't a feel-good fake account for people who think antivaxxers are morons. (e: as all people should, but still.)

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

g0lbez posted:

even if like 99% of people got the vaccine wouldn't there still be variants due to the waning 6ish month efficacy? I mean you're never going to get 100% vaccination rate so I don't see how that's even a possibility to plan for and get upset about when it doesn't happen
Less viruses = less variants

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's not even really compelled - there's a weekly testing option like right in the rule.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
When Walter nails it, he nails it.
https://twitter.com/walterowensgrpa/status/1436476781045993479?s=19

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So... Both kids and me with stuffy noses is probably a cold, but I'm glad I can still go for free PCR tests before they return to school....

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Was Nicki's friend marrying Mr. Belvidere?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mozi posted:

look i'm just not sure about the vaccines yet, i'm doing more research before i make up my mind *slathers self in horse dewormer and coconut oil*
You may have covid but at least you don't have parasites, and your skin has never felt so soft

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1429878195420024832

An extremely long Twitter thread about exactly this. TLDR - efficacy against severe illness is still holding up although against moderate (and possibly asymptomatic) is fading, and fading faster for mRNA than for AstraZeneca.

Also as official FRONTLINE MEDICAL STAFF - i.e. I point people at chairs in a vaccination clinic - I apparently qualify for a booster, so that'll be fun.
Oh man. Making conclusions based on questionable extrapolations like that is just very bad practice.

I'm gonna finagle my way into a booster, don't get me wrong, but "these two extrapolations cross in the future" just ain't a headline.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rescue Toaster posted:

The impression I've gotten would be that you're reasonably likely to catch Delta even though you're vaccinated if you're surrounded by unvaccinated people constantly. Especially if they're not masking consistently. Reasonably likely being maybe 30-50% chance? Considering if you were unvaccinated I'd say it's virtually guaranteed.

If you have no major health problems the vaccine should keep you out of the hospital. But you should not be surprised at all if you eventually have a mild or moderate case. So if you have any members of your family that are high risk consider you'll eventually expose them too.
A friend of mine and his family - two fully vaccinated (Moderna) adults and two very young kids - came down with delta earlier this month. One kid did okay, the baby had crazy and miserable fevers for a few days, the wife just felt sick, and my friend had a just terrible physically draining infection that took a week to lighten up.

So yeah delta isn't fuckin around.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Anyone know anything about this research proposal that's starting to make the rounds?

https://twitter.com/fitterhappierAJ/status/1440142698929745929

Starting to hit the press, but I don't have a sub:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-rejected-funding-for-bat-coronavirus-project-at-wuhan-lab-hzlql76wd
It looks like the plan was to prevent something like covid by introducing a harmless virus into a bat population - and make them immune to it. Hence, project "defuse".

It'll for sure be conspiracy fodder but... Like, they were right and maybe this could have prevented covid in the first place.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Got my Pfizer booster tonight, kind of on a whim since I have tomorrow off.

The 5G never kicked in very strong.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

naem posted:

wondering about dose three myself, would be nice if there were better like info etc
Well it won't make me less immune, you know?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Same. My injection site was kinda red and swollen but I had no sickness, etc.

A++, would (and likely will) vax again.

Got mine on Thursday btw. I can still feel a firm spot (probably microchips) but that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Awww, looks like I missed a potential for cross-vaxxing by a few days, but I am content with a 3rd Pfizer regardless.