Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

president bird, our people yearn for freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the respectable aliens just buzz our primitive military for laughs, and maybe to encourage our science to advance faster by demonstrating what's possible and being vaguely threatening while doing so

it's the sickos we're gonna have to watch out for

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vomik posted:

aren’t nuclear weapons literally the same reaction as how stars are powered? what would a more advanced weapon look like? I’m sure there has to be military research into that

yeah i mean it's still ultimately just heat, radiation, and kinetic force tho. i think if you're FTLing somehow you probably understand space-time on a level where you can weaponize that understanding and just shear things apart thru gravity or spatial expansion or something

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

think about it...

UFO sightings increased greatly after cspam was created

nothing is a coincidence

bonghitz is an alien quoting all of the best cspam posts to mark them for reposting in space cspam

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

space cspam has the full piss tape btw

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

If humans ever developed an interstellar abduction program every abductee would be given a hot slice of pizza

the alien abductions aren't the result of a "program". it's just that most of the aliens hiding out on earth are intergalactic sex offenders

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

oh god the aliens are going to be devout christians aren't they

mormons

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Raised By Wolves is part of soft disclosure

parsed this as Dances With Wolves at first. is kevin costner connected to the reticulans???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Objurium posted:

white phosphorus

please do not warcrime birds

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

endocriminologist posted:

aliens created the neanderthals to be their perfect children. sadly, natural evolution had other plans and made the perfect suck and gently caress monkey - me, and also the rest of us.

p sure that's bonobos

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

personally i don't buy into cattle mutilation or abductions as bird-adjacent, at least until one of those little grey perverts admits to it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

splifyphus posted:

they could save us, but watching us kill a planet is just better entertainment value. the prime directive states they can only interfere if it would make better television.

if this was how things worked trump would still be prez

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

that's just the gundam wing boys

earth is about to become extremely anime

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SavageGentleman posted:

"Oh no, everyone can see my butt, good gracious me, how could that happen" etc.

the evidence for unidentified aerial perverts simply continues to mount

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

space garbage, probably

elon or aliens

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

do u think the aliens will take elon to mars if we ask them politely

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vernii posted:

If disclosure (or even first contact) happens, I kind of expect the conspiracy theory crowd to have a pretty ugly fracture. In particular, the crowd that have conditioned themselves to reflexively always believe the truth is being hidden will probably decide these particular aliens are fakes and part of a larger government conspiracy. And then there will be the people who decide that the aliens are clearly in league with the government to do some nefarious plot.

oh absolutely. everyone who has tied their entire worldview up into a particular kind of bird, or the birds having a specific ideology/religion/dimensionality/etc. is going to be massively hosed up by any contact and resistant to disclosures that don't agree with their preconceived notions. especially the new age part of the ufo community is going to have a lot of trouble adjusting to a more mundane kind of alien if that's what we end up getting

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Nichael posted:

I am in discussion with my advisory committee on what the next step should be against the Birds:

the entire state of delaware wants to know: is chris c**ns a bird???

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WEH posted:

I agree completely, but if that's the case I am confused why more people aren't making noise now that it's admitted at the highest level. I suppose if I'd seen something and been made fun of for years the extent of my response might be "yeah, no poo poo"

i think the pool of people who have seen weird lights in the sky is very broad, but most of the folks who had closer encounters have already felt compelled to disclose it at least anonymously despite the stigma. personally i have definitely seen the classic "three orange lights which make sharp turns" thing a couple of times, but who knows whether it was birds

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hirsute posted:

would the anal probe aliens be more interested in a human with 2 buttholes or no buttholes

they steal a butthole from one human to give it to another. tihs is why they're here

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Maybe we should sweep the solar system for someone else's confetti

turns out it's just bullshit for an alien gender reveal party. novelty ancient-style space probes colored beige (to signify the 39th gender) and littered across the galaxy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

my droney! my droney!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

july aiii lmao

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/rOsqjL7.gifv

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Psycho Society posted:

Peter watts password is definitely “2edgy4u”

ya blindsight kinda sucks due to its need for edge even though it has some interesting ideas. i find watts' conception of aliens to be as limiting as star trek, just in a totally different way

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Lue should simply read theory. idiot

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rah! posted:

i gotta say, i did not expect the career military dude to have degrees in microbiology, immunology, math, and chemistry. And advanced research in tropical diseases and parasitology? :tinfoil: aliens did covid??

But it does make sense for a person involved with a program like AATIP to have a background like that, and that well educated dudes are the ones the military would want in intelligence instead of basic grunt poo poo stacking barrels of piss and whatnot. I guess I just had an image in my mind of Elizondo joining the military as a teen/early-20s dude lol

he just wants to grill, and also make first contact with aliens

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

it's simple. birds are ancient daoist wizards. all of these pilots and radar operators cannot recognize the true nature of a bird, as they have not even begun to cultivate their spirit

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Jul 14, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Not to get too much into epistemology because it's not really why any of us are in this thread but my life to this point has been based on reason and evidence over the convenient or pleasant belief, and I don't think there's anything that can change that short of aliens coming down and doing blow off their saucer while levitating me with their minds

Like it's very fun to imagine "what if there is more to us/existence" than the flesh prisons we inhabit but if that's the case, why are all the rich and powerful unrepentant oppressive sensualists and not just meditating on drugs 24 hours a day?

they must dive into the depths of hedonism before they may split worldly pleasure from their dao..smdh here

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I don't know about all that, I've just never been able to give myself over to speculation much beyond philosophy

When it gets into pseudo-religious territory that goes beyond the scope of our own perception I don't really see the value in speculating or hoping because that seems like it necessitates a teacher or some sort of new enlightenment or we can never establish a framework of understanding for it anyway

It's very much a personal hangup I am sure because I grew up in a patch of religious fundamentalists in a small town and went hard new atheist as pushback against that. I've grown out of the INTJ aggression but even this UFO stuff has me feeling like I'm teetering on the edge of some very uncomfortable precipice

yeah i mean the trick is to have a mind that's both open and closed.

new atheism is sort of like a defense mechanism...you close your mind entirely to the supernatural and religion because you can observe the flaws in what is being believed around you, and observe the way that it hurts people. you address these things on a battleground where you're sure to have victory - picking at details, throwing doubt on this passage or that, essentially subjecting it to reason until you are satisfied that you have no reason to listen at all. this is basically what drives most "new atheist" writers. religious fundamentalism is a similar process of closing your mind, just along a different set of principles...i'm sure you've noticed at some point that the most zealous new atheists are former zealous fundamentalists.

ultimately though, if you retreat fully into having a closed mind you end up looking and sounding like NDT or mick west on UFOs - that is, your "rationality" has led you to a point of irrational dogma, where you aren't actually doing the rational thing and genuinely evaluating evidence. this is really common in more mundane things too, like peer review for grants and papers in science; the number of senior scientists who wholeheartedly believe that something in their field is "impossible" while the folks in another related field routinely observe that "impossible" thing in a slightly different context, such as a different type of organism, is enormous.

it's up to you where you draw the line between reality and woo-woo batshit stuff, but imo if you draw that line too soon you'll end up excluding things that are really part of reality, as well as forsaking any understanding of the symbolic/philosophical layer of religion and the supernatural which informs how a lot of people behave. you will be too busy defending your position and talking about how actually birds make 90-degree instantaneous acceleration turns all the time to contemplate anything that's fringe or metaphysical. this would be fine except valid scientific concepts start out as fringe, or even metaphysical, all the time. atomism was metaphysical, until the atom was actually observed. many many ideas have been fringe and then totally overturned the previous mainstream. being willing to admit to possibilities isn't the same thing as throwing your mind wide open and simply believing in anything.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

idk why people assume that taking 100 years would be a problem even for actual aliens coming here in person...there is absolutely no reason to assume that a human timescale is being operated on. what if they live for 1000 years naturally? what if they had a human-ish lifespan but simply figured out how to disable aging? we are honestly not that far from being able to do the same ourselves, on a basic level. plus if there is no viable mechanism for FTL, presumably nobody is traveling long-distance frivolously, and anybody who comes to our system probably stays and establishes a family or bird polycule or whatever

all of the arguments against the possibility of visits from some relatively nearby star are based on two things: lack of techno-signatures observed around nearby stars, which is sensible but inconclusive until we become the travelers and send a probe, and the belief that considering the possibility of nearby neighbors is putting earth in a "special position" statistically, which isn't really sensible. we either have neighbors or don't, and our situation is either common or rare, but there is no reason to think that any option is particularly more likely than the others unless you have a preconception that extrasolar life must be rare

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Bob Socko posted:

They don’t even need to inhibit aging if they have figured out how to travel at close to the speed of light.
(source: I watched Interstellar a few times)

that sucks for all sorts of reasons tho. you might want to do it for intergalactic travel but it's not suitable for exploration or building sustainable societies in a local area, because you're basically cutting yourself off from the universe for millions of years even though it's very fast for you. either you get there and somebody from your society already did a slow-boat trip that took less "real time" and beat you to it, or you emerge into a context totally transformed from what you left behind due to millions of years of tech development, or you find that you're the last survivors of your species because everybody else died a really long time ago. not that a society wouldn't necessarily want to send a few ships out like that if somebody was willing to go, but it wouldn't be the usual strategy most likely

Jazerus has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Jul 15, 2021

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

But to say that those who still identify as atheist are losing out for being closed minded to religion is to miss that what they are saying is "i survived a social and family cultural system that supports, promotes and actions child abuse - i disavoy amd must learn to cope with what i was born into for the rest of my life". And to hear, "😄oh mate you are throwing the baby out with the bathwater" is to hear "child abuse is cool and good and i am looking down on you for disagreeing" its gross and disgusting and reprehensible.

hey uh well i'm still an atheist. atheism and "new atheism" aren't the same thing. the main difference is that new atheism has a lot of reactionary poo poo in it and comes at religious beliefs/texts in much the same way that a fundamentalist preacher might - that is, as a bunch of disconnected passages to be thrown out for ridicule or veneration independently of each other. the new atheism lens of analysis is often pretty dishonest and pulls out individual sentences or sections of the bible to "debunk" or make fun of that are intended symbolically or otherwise non-literally, or are from an old/poor translation, or are mocked through a 21st century american perspective imposed on an ancient cultural context, etc. it just doesn't lead to any understanding of the actual content when really it is preferable to be an atheist who understands what exactly you are rejecting, philosophically, and why.

this loops back around to the ufo/paranormal sphere of things in that you should generally be open to hearing things out if they aren't too wacky on their face. look at UFOs and well, :parrot: there are clearly birds doing things that are not scientifically understood at the moment. someone who assumes a priori that alien visitation is truly impossible as an explanation for bird behavior, and doesn't engage with the possibility, is not really being rational or scientific.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

You lost me at "are intended symbolically"
What the heck does intend even mean in this case? I'm fairly certain it's been agreed upon that at least some of the stories in ancient religious texts that eventually funnelled into certain biblical canons were viewed at some point as literal by some people. It's not like everybody before x date saw these stories are purely symbolic. We have plentiful religions and cultures today that have adherents that will straight up tell you their stories are literal depictions. How can you prove that these texts were intended to be symbolic? Because many, many theologians throughout history have expressly disagreed with that notion. And maybe, just maybe, it's OK to take these texts down from their pedestal where by virtue of being on their pedestal they have been used to excuse and encourage child abuse. Hell, just look at what's going on in Canada right now. Are you really coming to the defence of those who used Christianity/the bible to justify their actions in those schools? I get that you feel it's really really obvious that some texts are symbolic and have value in their symbolic interpretations. But you have to keep in mind, many, many, many people do not. Many people believe entire texts like their versions of the bible are wholly literal. And I think you are mudding the water by saying the alterative is to be open to hearing things that 'aren't too wacky' when it seems like what you are asking people to be open to is.... organised religion????

you should be open to understanding those religions in the various ways that they are understood by other people even if you wholly reject their worldview and beliefs. absolutely that varies from literalist interpretations, which are generally self-contradictory and often both silly and sinister, to wholly symbolic/philosophical interpretations, which are not interested in literal self-consistency at all, and many points in between. this isn't really very complicated. i'm not trying to prove anything, and i'm not trying to tell you that you should be open to an organization that abused you and others, or other organizations of its type.

like man, i'm not a fundie don't come at me in this circuitous, dualist kind of way where you basically assert that because i don't want to scour all religion from the earth i support religious abuse. this is why people don't like new atheists.

anyway i've got a mothership to catch for aitee, later

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aGnuLXCruc

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ah, the secret war in bolivia

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

inferis posted:

what is time?

aitee

Jazerus
May 24, 2011