Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The complete demise of the labour vote in favour of tactical voting in a by-election is bad for Labour, because it (rightly) shows people have no loyalty to Starmer's Labour, just a vague concept of anti-tory candidates. If you stop being the natural place for those, your voting base evaporates (PASOKification ahoy!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

When did this thread become "Old men shouting at clouds"?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I can kinda see where this Kier pub crawl idea comes from. It's similar to the "ignore the media by going to the people" stuff that was thrown around in the Corbyn years. The idea that if that people see and know a politician for who they are, rather than the media image, they'll vote for you.

The problem is that Kier can't inspire anyone to vote for him anyways, because he has no ideas and no idelogy. And he's got no one to hype him up. If Corbyn did a similar thing, you'd get crowds showing up whether he speaks, people talking about seeing him etc, and word spreading organically that way.

Instead Kier is just gonna show up and have a chat with whatever friends and family the local MP or party could drum up and no one else caring about the wanker in a suit with a staff fussing over him on the other side of the pub.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The only semi-unironic use of woke I've seen is someone saying "Wokeness is a continual waking motion", as a K6BD reference but also a decent statement it it's own right.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

On this stuff about creativity - It's not like Britain suddenly isn't producing creative people. It's that now, the breakout creative stars of the 10s are streamers and youtubers, and that's an ecosystem where british people still do well. Just that the mainstream media refuses to recognize or credit the talent there, so someone like Tom Scott makes weekly youtube videos rather than starts a new BBC documentary series or quiz show.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm being a little edgy lol

Shaun of the Dead was pretty good but I don't think it's quite as good as people make out. Hot Fuzz I just really didn't like for some reason, maybe I need to give it another go. World's End passed me by, should probably watch it.

Worlds End is the worst of the three, but that's because despite it's bodysnatchers premise, it's the most down to earth and realistically tragic of them all, in a way that isn't as funny as in Shaun of the Dead. So it's not as good a comedy.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

While I do find the various covid conspiracies re: Bill Gates/5G somewhat loony I'm finding myself increasingly low on goodwill when every day seems to bring a "new wave of covid" caused by a bunch of arseholes who think its appropriate to go on a foreign holiday just now

I can't believe people are doing things they are legally allowed to do? Just because you can withstand the misery of the last year without these leisure activities, doesn't mean other people can.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

You can look at vaccination breakdown by age in smaller regions, and it's mostly that yea.

Also the put the "local" vaccination center in a industrial park miles out into the countryside, with buses that stop running while the centre is still open and take 45 minutes each way. Hard enough if you live in the centre, let alone need a bus/train to get to the right bus to begin with...

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Even a 5m sea level rise by the end of the century is streching the bounds of plausibility- that's an utter worse case "half of the land ice in Antarctica drops into the sea" scenario. 40m rise is just a doom fantasy and slamming the bar as high as possible for lolz.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Borrovan posted:

This is their projection for 2030: :psyduck:

I'm sceptical, but it's fair to say people are likely to start taking this poo poo seriously if entire cities all across Northern Europe are underwater.

Shame it's probably too late by then.

Yea, it's a stupid map by an American company who did a model using ok data for the US then decided they'd use poo poo quality data and simulate the entire world, ignoring all flood defences and local land features. However, it's online and has a pretty UI so it gets shared around alot.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Good, I can stop having a heart attack now. Is there a more realistic / well researched alternative please?

Here's a good article about sea level rise from carbon brief, that goes into where it comes from, the current estimates (50cm by 2100 if we get our poo poo together, 80cm if we don't), and some of the studies suggesting higher worse case scenarios than that (more around the 1.5m-2m) mark.

As to what those numbers mean for the UK, I don't know any good sources off the top of my head. As above posts show, it's a complicated thing that depends alot on what the government does. (If the thames barrier hadn't been build, London probably would be flooding regularly. But we did build it, so it doesn't). But it's still not good, but maybe your fears can be a little more grounded in reality now.

Edit: sea level rise is a very long term consequence of climate change, because it takes a long time to change something on the scale of the oceans. Greater flooding, heatwaves, and mean temperature changes are the biggest problem, and those mostly really pick up at the 2-3 warming level globally. This is why the UK is alot better off than some places - Pakistan and India are facing the consequences now, and in 30 years a large chunk of east Africa won't be able to grow potatos without irrigation systems they can't afford.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 1, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

Thanks all! There is a National Trust climate map I saw but I assume it's as imaginary as the other map already quoted.

That map isn't terrible, but the problem with it is that their data sources are opague (the previous flood map does tell you it's based off satellite data with a 30m resolution if you go looking, this doesn't even do that). All they say is that it's based of a "continual increase in emissions" - which probably means a RCP 8.5 scenario, which is on the upper end of physical plausibility atm. We're actually below it, just. And it's overheating and humidity 1-5 metric seems completely in house and bespoke, so while the places it says will be hotter and more humid make sense, I don't know how bad it actually is compared the current situation of most of the UK being a 3 or even 4 by that metric.

So yea, if there was more transparent on the data and what they were measuring I could judge it a bit better, but I can't even find that. Publishing findings to the public is important, people!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ah, the olders won't get their summer holdiays after all.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Can't believe someone in this thread is trying to belong to something bigger than themselves, pure indervidualism is the only true way.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Didn't a couple of flu strains go extinct last year due to social distancing?

Question for the thread, am I being overly doomer in thinking that maybe we shouldn't infect all children with Covid? Like doesn't this expose them to long term health problems?

The question isn't "should we jab kids yes/no", it's "is vaccine we keep to jab our kids better used sending abroad?". Especially given kids are less affected and damaged by covid tgat even young adults (yes, you can find exceptions. You can find exceptions to anything at the population level, Law of Large Numbers is a thing)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Replace with "influenza" for the current world. As much as we progressed in medicine, not all problems are solveable. Covid-19 is going to remain a thing forever, and that's been pretty clear since it escaped containment in China.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

It is, just some people are paranoid about tradesmen cheating them.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Sorry, but it's not influenza. Like, there's more to an illness than how infectious it is & what percentage of people infected does it kill. Long COVID is being associated with everything from sudden onset of diabetes to shortness of breath & fatigue to heart palpitations.

Sure, but the important thing here is that A. It's about as infectious as influenza, especially the new delta variant B. It has significant population reservoirs in say India, Africa, unvaccinated people in the US, etc where it can spread freely. Let alone the fact it's still fairly abundant in the UK. Therefore, you will never eliminate covid infections from happening in an unvaccinated population (children). There's simply too much of it around.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Given how new covid (and long covid) are, there's not much detailed or reliable data about what it is, what damage it may (or may not) be doing, etc. The best we have is the ONS data here, which does show that you have a notability higher chance of reporting covid symptoms 5 weeks after you test positive than control participants did, and the may continue on for longer depending how long you require symptoms to be gone for before declaring long covid "gone".

edit: I find the "long covid is not about covid, but the standard CFS that hits ~10% of people after any viral infection" theory quite valid, but the jury is still out and will be for a year or two still on this at least.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 5, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There *is* some science to economics, but the problem is that subatomic particles don't change their behaviour based on the laws of physics so it's never going to be *science* science.

The only science in economics is behavioral psychology in a trench coat.

Also, economics "models" are unworthy of the name, and discredit other scientific models (eg climate models) just by being compared to them. Higher Economics is about getting lost in increasing complex mathematics, because of the paucity of existing observations to actually build a model off and the inability to get more of them.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 6, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Saros posted:

Are those Antarctic salaries a joke. What. It's not even one where you spend a season there with no expenses.

That's 10 years of Tory austerity and pay restraint for you... then these companies wonder why they can't find technical staff.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Combination of these two makes it look like a fair penalty to me, regardless of if you think Sterling went down pretty easily (your mum etc...)

From the refs viewpoint, it's a very valid call to give. That's what makes it a good dive, it's selling a contact that you can barely see from the view behind the goal but looks like a solid contact from the refs pitchside view.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

so does this thread think it's all going to poo poo again or not? Make your loving mind up.

It's almost like this thread has different people with different opinions!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

As a young'un born in 1997, with a younger sister born in 2004 (and also terminally online) there's definitely been a huge change in how technology and the internet was used - it was still niche beyond having an Xbox when I was in secondary, now it's commonplace to be gaming together or hanging out on discords and whatsapping each other.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

There is no reason to expect vaccine escape, and what "long covid" is and how it relates to vaccinates is completely unknown, so anyone saying that X will or won't happen when a vaccinated person gets covid is talking with too much confidence.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Jedit posted:

If we get a resistant strain, there'll be no vaccine this time.

Vaccine resistance is not a magic on/off switch. Its a process of the virus mutating to reshape it's proteins in a way less likely to trigger antibodies for vaccination, and often comes with it's own downsides, as the new configurations are not as optimal as old ones for the processes of the virus.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Going into a barbers and evasdropping on the staff chatting with the local legend is comforting in my mind, not awkward.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

I reccomend all the anti football posters in the thread stop making up doomer fantasies of whst will happen when England Win/Lose. Much better for your mental, when you accept one game doesn't actually change what tabloids and people do.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Looke posted:

If you've pushed through without the necessary checks being done, then they deserved to be dragged out with the rest of the cunts, ticket or no ticket

Ah yes, it's vitally important to respect the authority of G4S security guards, I'm sure they've got everyones best interests in heart, and well appreciate you waiting politely as chaos descends. Maybe you'll get a sticker on your permanent record!

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Apparently the important bit in COVID safety isn't actually getting vaccinated or tested, but making sure the overworked security theatre steward sees that you have done so and gives you a nod and a pat on the back. Who knew?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Looke posted:

Ok your right, let’s just allow anyone to go in and just act on good faith that people have tested themselves/been vaccinated

If the organisers of the event are so incompetent that the rules are breaking down around them, you are under no obligation to wait there nicely and hope they remember your good behaviour when you've obeyed the requirements yourself.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The thing about Culture Wars is that we win them. While you don't want to fight a battle you don't have to, you can't really avoid them atm with the right wing desperately relying on them so we just have to focus on winning them. Which we can, because culture is alot harder for newspapers to shape and mroe shaped by groundswells of people than ever before.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

stev posted:

I actually wrote a piece of GCSE coursework (General Studies I think, whatever that was) making this exact argument in defence of poo poo like South Park and Little Britain. What sort of insufferable little oval office would do that. :barf:

I did get an A* though, which is incredibly worrying.

Eh, you're being tested on your ability to make a coherent argument, not on it's correctness. Just means your screed actually have an argument and a structure.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

runwiled posted:

Yeah, it's the short story "State of the Art," which appears in a collection of his short stories entitled the same. It's the only story in the collection which is definitively stated to be set in the Culture universe. I think it was written fairly early in the series but I'm not sure where it fits in publication order. It features Sma, a character who turns up in Use of Weapons but if I remember correctly State of the Art would be a prequel of sorts to that specific story since it takes place earlier.

And as others have mentioned, The Culture encounters Earth, finds that it's not terrible enough to destroy but will never have the potential to be folded into the Culture so it's left alone. One of the crewmates does indeed, 'Go native,' during their investigation and exploration of Earth and Sma is tasked with talking him back round.

I don't recall which Culture book it's in but one of them had an interview with Iain and it brings up the question of whether he thinks Earth could produce a civilisation like the Culture and he definitely doesn't think so because of the track humanity has been throughout the 20th century into the 21st. It's actually rather depressing.

It's not that Earth is "so terrible it'll never have the potential to be folded into the culture" it's that Earth is assigned to the control group in the great "is intervention in other planets a good idea?" experiment. So they study it for a bit, put it in the records, and leave.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

Anyone know if walk-in vaccination clinics are area specific? Just discovered my GP surgery has stopped doing vaccinations and my only other option is a centre out in the sticks that is a huge pain in the arse to get to without a car. It's literally easier for me to get the train to Plymouth and back, and they have a walk-in clinic this Saturday.

Are they going to turn me away?

EDIT I'm really miffed that there aren't clinics in town (Exeter, in this case) at all. I guess the thinking is "only people who don't drive can't get to the out of town centre, and only old people don't drive, and they're all already jabbed, so whatever" but that still means people like me fall through the cracks. And also I'd have thought they'd want to make it easy as possible for teenagers to get jabbed, and not just rely on one day walk-in clinics like they seem to be now. Although I guess it makes sense in that who in this country gives a solitary gently caress about young people anyway

Are they not doing any walk ins this weekend? I know they've done it last wekend in the center (they had a mobile vaccination centre at the Quay , although I agree expecting everyone to hoof it out to Greendale to get a jab is redicous even with the extra buses, I don't drive either.

Nothingtoseehere fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jul 15, 2021

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Vulnerable people are medically a huge group - from those with weakened immune systems, to those who have other conditions that may exacerbate symptoms (we've got data from the first wave on the biggest comorbidities, but there's plenty of rare conditions we don't know enough about to know the effects with certainty). Some will have less effect from the vaccine, some will be equal or more. It's impossible to say for such a diverse group.

jiggerypokery posted:

It's not a sliding scale, that's a super common misconception. I thought the same thing till I had this explained to me by someone who works in pharmacology.

A 90% effective vaccine breaks the reproductive cycle of a virus in the cells of 90% of people.

This is why chicken pox parties work. Once kids have had it, they can't just get a little chicken pox later. They are immune in that the chickenpox virus can't reproduce in their cells any more.

Bacteria works on a sliding scale because it can replicate quite happily. The more white blood cells tuned to it that a person has, the faster it dies.

You've misunderstood something then, because vaccination totally does reduce the severity of disease rather than being all-or-nothing. This has been very clear in all the trial data, where the number of hospitalizations and deaths is reduced by much more (95-%99%) than the number of PCR cases (70%-80% for delta IIRC).

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

learnincurve posted:

I’m absolutely befuddled and baffled by this conversation - I thought we’d known there is a correlation between vaccines and a lower risk of severe covid if you catch it for a while now?

https://www.kcl.ac.uk/news/vaccination-reduces-the-risk-of-severe-covid-19-infection

There is. Jiggerypokery has confused "sometimes vaccines don't work" with "if you get covid while vaccinated, it's exactly the same as not being vaccinated".

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

In general, the past 10 years has seen huge strides forward in biotechnology and pharma-related products. We know about, and can control, vastly more things than we ever could 10 or 20 years ago. For example, gene therapy in the "hey, we can change your genetic code to remove harmful/increase beneficial mutations" sense is working now, if limited by our understanding of how DNA affects our bodies. Pushing back the boundaries of knowledge has lead us to leaning about how human biology is even more complicated than we thought, but problems are being solved and new solutions and techniques happening year on year. 5 years ago, the AZ vaccine would be the best possible. 10 years ago, we might not even be able to make that nearly as fast as we did. 20 years ago, we wouldn't at all, and would have an even less and slower method. It's just not fed through yet into everyday life, because the regulatory pipeline from basic science to working and safe remedies is long, especially when dealing with whole new classes of remedies.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, going "we're gonna wait until 75%-80% of the population is double-jabbed to open up so herd immunity actually works" would have been fine. But they've rushed it through because gotta stick to the timetable even with vaccinations slowing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

And the 7 day average for deaths is still 40. We don't panic over other disease numbers, why are we about covid?