Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Listening to the Windows Weekly podcast it seems that Windows 11 won't be available to anyone but Insiders and OEMs until "early 2022". That's odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Here we go:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/28/22553639/microsoft-windows-11-download-available-preview-features

Also this:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/28/22554245/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-intel-7th-gen-amd-zen-1-pc - Microsoft says it’ll test support for Intel 7th Gen and AMD Zen 1 chips.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 28, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Xun posted:

Hello I would like to loving escape windows 10 insiders dev branch eventually. Should I do a clean install of windows 10 or hope for windows 11 to save me?

Try 11, if you don't like it, flatten and resinstall 10.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Not Windows 11 chat, but I've installed the beta release of Office 365 on both my Windows 10 and 11 installs, and I'm still not seeing the UI refresh - any idea why not?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

SuddenlyAri posted:

I'm enjoying Win10 1/2 I mean W11 so far. All jokes aside I actually do like the aesthetic better than 10 but that might be an unpopular opinion.

Same here, like the animations too. Don't like all the changes to the taskbar etc. though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Pinning it to start has got it working in search, but I did it as a last resort BECAUSE I couldn't find it in search. So strange.

Try rebuilding the search index?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

Also these icons look like some very old iPhone / iOS stuff and the look conflicts with everything else. They don't show if they have contents like normal folders and are not even consistent with their equivalents in the quick-access panel.

In conclusion,

Folders that have contents show a slight white line on the top left of the icon.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

The last good Star Trek movie was Insurrection though.

Mods?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

See the Windows 11 build in the release preview channel or whatever that one's called, is that essentially the RTM build with additional patches, or is there likely to another build issued as RTM?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

See the Windows 11 build in the release preview channel or whatever that one's called, is that essentially the RTM build with additional patches, or is there likely to another build issued as RTM?

Anyone?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

That's the channel for builds that could be RTM, but will likely(hopefully) have additional bugfixes before release. I don't think there have been any W11 releases in that channel yet. The announcements on their blog still only mention Dev and Beta channels.

Oh I'm sure it'll get patches etc., I'm just wondering if I can install Windows 11 now and when it's officially released I don't need to do a reinstall with another ISO or whatever.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

Of course right after I posted yesterday that there were no builds in the Release Preview channel: https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2021/09/16/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-22000-194/

Cheers, already flattened and installed it on my desktop. It keeps disabling different animations for some reason, a setting I think is synched from Windows 10 which always did it as well.

I disabled settings sync - where can I delete any presence of it from the cloud?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Let me know when they unfuck the taskbar.

Welcome to Windows 12

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Which dumb rear end in a top hat decided to completely remove the option to display taskbar labels!? Christ this sucks

This is one of those things that makes me wish they'd do more than once yearly upgrades to begin with. They'll maybe add functionality back to the taskbar but it's my understanding that there will only be bug fixes and security updates the first year?

I might actually buy Start11, because they've eviscerated the taskbar for simple things. Didn't seem like a huge deal to me until I flattened and reinstalled 11 and bit by work I couldn't so the simplest things the way I have done for over 2 decades.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wiltsghost posted:

Looks like it's officially available.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

e: just updated, looks like the build is 22000.194

Lovely job, cheers goon.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Odd situation here. A few months ago I gave my dad an old GPU of mine, a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Boost. Even on my previous machine I was able to have Secure Boot enabled (Ivy Bridge era).

I built him a new machine a few months ago, a Ryzen 5600x on an MSI B550-A Pro. I wasn't able to enable Secure Boot because it says the GPU doesn't support GOP. He uses 3 monitors but we had only one plugged in when trying to sort this out.

I'm confused as to why we're having this problem. Should we try a different output port on the GPU?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've tried that before but didn't know WTF I was doing, but it didn't make any difference anyway. I think that guy is long gone from that forum too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

There's some bat file on GitHub that is supposed to install Windows 11 even if your computer doesn't support it and even with that it still doesn't work.

Worked for me, I just finished installing a Windows 11 image on my wife's 2013 Toshiba laptop, which is running an Ivy Bridge CPU and of course has no TPM or secure boot support.

Where did you get stuck?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hunter Noventa posted:

What's the verdict so far? I went ahead and changed my group policy so I don't wake up to a nasty surprise of a lovely taskbar and who knows what else no longer working, but I'm curious what else they screwed up.

What group policy did you change and what does it do?

Thing that grinds my gears is that you can't click and drag something into an icon in the taskbar, even from folder to folder. Bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 6, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hmm, the Windows Update for Business part isn't there for me. I tried it in another section but it didn't do anything.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hunter Noventa posted:

It might be pro-only.

That's what I'm using :iiam:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fat bossy gerbil posted:

It’s always nice when UI designers take the shittiest page from the Apple playbook and say “No, you’ll use your computer the way WE say you will!”

Even dragging to the taskbar between windows isn't possible anymore. I like the animations and visual style but Jesus Christ, this isn't a Kindle Fire, this is a desktop OS.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

url posted:

Right! ok, that make more sense.
That means that we are without a "shift+click on the running application in the taskbar" for a second instance.
Right click on the application is fine, but shift click seemed faster.

Middle click also opens a second instance.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

url posted:

You are the hero I need!
Thanks for that!

Heh, you're welcome. It's had that function since Windows 7.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Alternatively, you just use another windows' start menu system by using StartAllBack: https://www.startallback.com/

This beautiful utility basically fixes the dumb stuff in Windows 11 and also adds a few nice features. I couldn't go back to not using it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

For anyone having difficulty with grabbing an ISO for Windows 11 non-TPM, behold, Rufus to save the day.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Same. I like how it lets you mix and match the different eras/versions. I'm using the start menu that's basically the one from 7, just styled like 11.

It's the drag and drop between two different windows on the taskbar that broke me. I agree with whoever said it's not so much that they removed features, but that a complete rewrite of the Start and Taskbar code simply doesn't have many of the features yet.

I also tried Start11 before StarAllBack and was surprised by how janky and odd Start11 felt. Even the animations were running at 30FPS for opening the Start menu.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 13, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

I think today's/yesterday's update might have actually fixed this for me. Everything's at the proper framerate with these programs open now.

Good enough trade-off for apparently having even worse Ryzen performance now :argh:

https://www.techpowerup.com/287786/first-windows-11-patch-tuesday-makes-ryzen-l3-cache-latency-worse-amd-puts-out-fix-dates

How will the update be delivered? Windows Update or through some motherboard download or something directly from AMD?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

There's an arrow next to the volume bar when you click the speaker icon that lets you switch input, but as someone who also needs to switch inputs quite a bit, it's one of my larger annoyances with 11.

Does StarAllBack resolve this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Hi all,
This isn't specific to Windows 11 but it has plagued me on Windows 10 for years, and the saga continues.

When my machine first starts up, windows has the System Properties> Advanced> Performance> Settings> Animate windows when minimising and maximising checked, and honours this setting. Within the time it takes to startup all the background stuff, at some point that setting gets changed to off, and those animations are no longer active.

The last time I had that setting deliberately switched off was in Windows 7 because there were a few missing animation frames with it activated, and it looked awful.

I'm not sure why this is happening - it occurs whether or not I have settings syncing to my Microsoft account. Initially I set this Windows 11 install up with a purely local account, but at some point in setting everything else up, this setting has been cleared again.

Is there some way I can view what's switching this off? Event Viewer? Pay a psychic?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, I definitely wasn’t trying to be a dick about it or come off like that. I have an online friend (is there a term for a person you’ve known for twenty years and count as a friend but never have met or even seen?) that loves RGB and overclocking his system to instability at the edge. He just likes the tweaking and tuning. His computer(s) and even his office look like a fairy threw up some neon, but there is enough RGB ambiance light to read a book!

People like what they like. Ben Franklin would have been a phone phreaker or hacker if he wasn’t born in an 18th century British colony. Win11 will be fine even if it isn’t the WinXP/7/10 of my dreams, but it took a couple of years of updates and software to make it that way. I just hope that in 2025 at the latest I can right-click one time on the taskbar to get to a program by then, and if it’s not part of a later patch then I guess I’ll use 3rd party.

Have you tried StarAllBack? Not sure if it does what you're looking for but it's excellent for me.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Is there a new guide for upgrading Windows 10 to 11 on a machine that does not support it? There was some batch file stuff I found on Github but it didn't work for me.

What's the new hotness everyone is using for installing it without the ISO checking? Has someone made a version of the Win11 ISO that removes all the CPU and TPM check stuff?

Rufus is for you!

https://rufus.ie/en/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

henpod posted:

I'm so bored and tempted to install win 11, just to have something 'new'. But my machine on Win 10 is so light and fast, there's no bloat or bugs of any kind. This is very much 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. But, so tempting nonetheless...

Why don't you try dual booting?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

henpod posted:

I'm a big dummy and mess up the most simplest things and will end up making something slower, or file systems messier, or whatever. Are you saying I can choose which OS to start with, and if I don't like 11, I can just 'delete' it, and then my pc will boot up as normal from 10 as if nothing happened?

Edit - yeah, this requires creating partitions and stuff. I know they aren't complicated but I know I will gently caress it up. Thanks anyway :), I think i'll wait a bit longer for 11.

Fair enough. Are you running anything in particular you're worried won't work? I've been using 11 for a few months and haven't encountered any major issues.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Does StartAllBack publish a changelog anywhere? It's getting fairly frequent updates and I'm just curious what they are.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fame Douglas posted:

The author does publish changelogs in this forums thread https://msfn.org/board/topic/183013-startallback-for-windows-11/

Thanks beautiful (I need to play less Apex Legends).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

For me, the animations and general aesthetic. Though I loving hate the changes to the taskbar, but StartAllBack addresses all my complaints.

They really need to get their poo poo together with the native apps though, Mail and Calendar haven't changed much in nearly 10 years.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Speaking of UI regression, it's annoying that I used to be able to right-click anywhere on the taskbar to open the task manager and now it's only on the Windows button.

We should just put StartAllBack in the thread title and OP. Sorts out most niggles.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

I don't understand this new UI right-click menu in Windows Explorer - like none of the options I want are in there, I have to click "Show More Options" almost every time. Also I used to be able to activate the menu options with the keyboard shortcuts (w for new, then f for folder) but the new pre-menu doesn't have those lol.

Yes friend, that is crap, but let me tell you that StartAllBack is the solution!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

I installed Windows 11 because I wanted to play with the HDR settings and it's been fine. No real complaints. I'll hand in my mod star or whatever.

Just change your name to Edge you monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

yep, good points all around, and given that the last time I did a win10 install it was literally 8 mins of active attention and like 30 mins of letting it do it's thing, and then 10 mins of installing drivers and steam.... I should never not do that, probably.

Remember the bad old days of clean installing Windows? You could literally spend an entire day downloading and installing updates. Horrific.