Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

So far re: Deck, since the SMT update I'm really, really impressed at how many games run at an almost steady 60fps when upscaled/whatever to 1080p.

Unrelated, I tried installing the Plex flatpak, as the only thing id really like is a way to open that in gaming mode (hopefully with support for gamepad, like it's an Official app or whatever, but :shrug: if that's not supported) without switching to desktop and back constantly. The downside is this means that instead of using the native resolution I've set (1080p@75fps), it seems to render in 1280 and try to upscale, which... is really blurry. and hiccuppy.

is there like, any way to solve this outright?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

ExcessBLarg! posted:

If you got into Steam's properties for Plex you should see an option for "Game Resolution" which you should set to 1920x1080 or Native. Also when you connect an external monitor it will add an option for "Set resolution for internal and external display" which you should enable, but that won't appear unless you have an external display connected.

From there you need to make sure Plex runs full screen. Or, maybe delete all Plex's settings (blow away ~/.var/app/tv.plex.PlexHTPC) and restart it if that's not an option. I'm not sure, I don't use Plex.

Argghh, I'd looked in properties for something like that, and conveniently looked straight past it :doh:

Thanks fellow goon!

Also, this isn't really the place to ask, but what's the difference between the HTPC Plex and the Plex-normal?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s like saying “getting better at a game is a difficulty option” which to be honest is the most Soulsbrain opinion possible, so sure, have at it.

To be fair the entire point of souls games is that they are a stand in for real life struggle and the joy of overcoming it. So while i think accessibility options absolutely should be provided, the guy who designs the games iirc wrote a thing about how the games are supposed to convey or represent his (or someone he knew) rise from being homeless to having a job and stability (paraphrasing a LOT), so I can totally understand why he feels its antithetical to just put a giant "make it easier!" slider. he doesnt want to let you beat the game easy because the entire game is about the struggle and the overcoming, not the winning

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

If you play souls games and have actual real life struggle, welp, good on you but the intended audience i think is people who, uh, don't have any struggle

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I said come in! posted:

Literally every single modern day mobile device, except the Steam Deck, has the feature to do stuff in the background while in sleep mode.

none of them run a desktop operating system and all of them have specific SoCs designed for this purpose

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I mean like there are *some* chipsets that support low power modes but usually that means cutting off the biggest drains — screen, wifi, etc.

It is entirely possible that the chipset chosen for the deck supports this, too, but they don't support it in-kernel. If so, someone could write a module to do it. Like — the ps4 and 5 and I'd kind of wager the Xbox too are all BSDs, etc

But, that's a lot of IFs, and the tradeoff doesn't really sound beneficial tbh.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

if chipset supports it but they turned it off its probably for a reason

Not what I meant.

Again, they're running a full desktop OS, so not only are they already, within the linux world, the main team writing the firmware and drivers for the thing, but they are likely the only paid team writing the firmware and drivers for the thing. So, why delay launch 2 extra months squeezing in support for an extra mode that the rest of the software stack wouldn't understand, rather than waiting until after launch, or for some rando Xtremely agile cowboy developers to do it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Antigravitas posted:

FWIW, Valve is mostly using standard components and upstream sources. There are some Valve-sponsored code contributions to the graphics stack (mostly Collabora afaik) and to KDE Plasma (Blue Systems), but the hardware itself isn't particularly exotic and neither is the underlying OS. To get sound working, a Collabora employee contributed a single-line patch that added the PCI ID of the sound chip to the existing cs35l41 driver, for example.

The N-Gabe is a testament to how far you can get with mostly off the shelf software and semi-custom hardware. There are some laptops around that are harder to get running properly.

I mean, yes, but, no.

A friend of mine has been working for the past 6 or 7 years, for a subsidiary of Valve, but his work has been on mesa and other linux graphics drivers, as well as on an open sourced secret project valve had to speed up GPU driver compilation on Linux

Like, you can say that it's all upstream, and that's true, but don't ignore the billions of dollars Valve is pouring into maintaining that upstream

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like as someone who's been a distrohopper since the mid 2000s poo poo only started getting "good" graphics and gaming-wise after Valve started funding cool projects like Proton and funding advancements in mesa, etc.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

.desktop files are like .lnk files not .exes

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

tuyop posted:

Can you set up the metadata on those things to be like, visually interesting instead of just grey cards?

Yes. Icon=(path to a png)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Desktop_entries

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lots of people really wanting something to be possible isn’t going to magically make the deck any more powerful

buddy ive heard of people getting 30 fps on jedi survivor on the deck. thats more than it gets on like half of consumer pcs

like, last year my workplace paid 850£-ish for a pretty powerful computer for me to do work with. I bought a deck sometime last year and this thing plays cyberpunk with an almost steady 50-60fps, im pretty sure it would make my computer explode. that's impressive for something that's 1/3rd of the price.

I tried to pick a machine that would go for games too. Deck gets 60fps on doom, my computer struggles to get 25

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 6, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I reinstall my desktop periodically just for that fresh-new-notebook/September-in-a-new-grade sense of reinvention. Every time—every time—I forget to back something up and lose some game configuration or a working directory for a dumb project that I didn’t push to github, but I keep doing it for that dopamine.

partitions, my child... partitions...

(use a separate home partition for your user directory and then you can wipe the system and reinstall

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

You have to go business-end first because trying to go the other way makes it snag.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

we stay silly :3c

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

its so easy to crack open the deck i might shell out for the hall effect sensors too

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

I posted before about getting Konsole in gaming mode. I just tried it and it opens a tiny unusable window. Is there a way to autodetect resolution and fill screen when launching in gaming mode?

Properties > Game Resolution > Native / whatever size you want

Mescal posted:

You also can't win+arrow or alt-f to mess with the window, is there a hotkey to allow such input, like shift allows ctrl-C as copy, which also reboots my Deck btw. If I could launch fullscreen and disable the software keyboard, which comes up when I don't want it and is glitchy, that would be wonderful. Anybody know?

Control-C is not Copy within Konsole, it's "End running task". You might like to check out the handbook :) https://docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/konsole/konsole/index.html

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Got my replacement for the spicy deck today. I will say, they got that RMA turned around quick.

how many hours was it :laugh:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

negativeneil posted:

I just really want quieter cooling. Playing anything demanding on the deck in bed is loud enough that I feel self conscious next to my partner.

my fan is pretty silent and i dont notice it, maybe it's an issue with the fan being clogged or yours isnt seated on the ball bearings properly?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

here's to hoping someone else will eventually come around with a decent handheld with functional trackpads and less of an obsession with numbers.

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Khanstant posted:

I like Windows, it's where my programs and files are

maybe you should keep them inside before it rains

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CBD Corndog posted:

its got a fuckin crank!

the components to make the playdate are maybe $5 - $10 at mass market rates. My guess is they've spent so much money on staffing and hype that they'll barely break even despite that lmfao

e: that's assuming it's a high quality plastic mould. If it's metal it would be a fair bit higher but ABS plastic molding is 2 for a penny in China

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

So genshin impact runs at a locked 40 and you’ll get roughly 4 hours of battery life on mostly medium settings.

It’s a very good experience. Only small issue is some
Shader stutter but it’s not bad at all.

Also the fan doesn’t really kick on high doing it so that’s a plus.

Do you prefer the thigh highs that come with the deck or the ones that come with genshin impact?

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 30, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Kwolok posted:

Someone better with budgeting help me, my family is starving.

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Blizzard $3,600
Utility $150

i paid 300ish for a steam deck and now i can play AAA games at 60fps instead of a smooth 15fps

nobody gives a poo poo about your views on whatever it is you are talking about, this is a lame rear end gimmick and i hope they probe you for months when you finally run through everyones patience and run it into the ground

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hey folks, whats a chill controller-friendly 4x game? Something like Civ 5 or maybe Risk/Diplomacy-like?

I've been hunting for some on my own but while both Final Theory and Halfway look amazing and like a great fit, they lack actual controller support in favour of a pissy "your controller is a mouse now!! :buddy:" half assed solution.

What pissed me off most is Final Theory would be a GREAT fit if it had Dorfromantik's controls, and from a development perspective the framework is clearly all there for it. If Steam cancels my refund request then I'll work on modding it I guess (I think Steam Input could also be jury rigged to support something that's a bit like I want, but ugh)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

The "official" script to run desktop mode nested within gaming mode

:greencube:

https://gist.github.com/davidedmundson/8e1732b2c8b539fd3e6ab41a65bcab74

Save, make executable, add to Steam.

So, I don't think ill be using this for desktop mode in Steam.

BUUUT if it's doing what i think its doing (im phoneposting so i havent read the script yet) it might be useful for running applications under steamos properly? I always end up with some of the weirdest rear end resolution changes when running e.g. discord

For applications, I made a custom ROM patcher using the fuzzy find tool in the EmuDeck thing where it adds all the programs to Steam. I made a dir ~/steam-manifests and dumped some JSON files in there (copied from the application launcher to make sure i was shoving the right options to flatpack).

So e.g. i have ~/steam-manifests/discord.json and it looks like this:

JavaScript code:

{
        "title": "Discord",
        "target": "/usr/bin/flatpak",
        "startIn": "/home/deck/",
        "launchOptions": "run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=discord com.discordapp.Discord"
}

And then to add them to steam I just run the parser, and then in steam I just go down and set the resolution to like, native or whatever :)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The only problem is i think discord starts with a tiny rear end program size and steam goes "oh! im accomodating of resolutions :)" and then i have to deal with Big Improperly Sized Discord.

And then I can fix that but it doesnt fix it across monitors

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've now got almost 400 hours in GTA Online, exclusively on the Steam deck. Somehow, when I hit the Steam button to try and do literally anything in a mouse-controlled app like Discord, the touchpads won't respond. Does anyone know what I could do to make this behave normally? Any other game allows me to control any app I switch to (well, Discord is the only one I have installed that I run at the same time.)

I've gotten around this by loading discord and getting into the voice channel I want before starting the game, but I'd love to able to start discord and use it even if I've already launched GTA online.

i also have had this weird problem

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Normal apps continue to be a nightmare under game mode

Here it is hooked up to a 1080p screen. the screenshot itself is 1080p, but plex itself is acting like its a 600x420 screen. Bleh

Like, I even set it up so it displays like its 1080p, which seems to work on the native display on my steam deck for e.g. discord.

(Yes i tried toggling the button that says "internal and external", no, it didn't do poo poo)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like, some games i dont give a poo poo if it's actually 1280x800 scaled up. Doom, etc. still looks great like that, and it's the right thing to do based on the power of the graphics card. But it just sucks for some things (esp. indie games where like, the pixels get blurry and weird under FSR and it's not a strain to render it)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

There's a good chance it's the same bug as my ctrl-c to SIGINT KDE + reboot bug. It's also when you're under certain circumstances then hit the Steam button.

IDK if you have also had a problem where the mouse just straight up disappears when accessing the social mode thingy? Like, I can move the mouse to select the buttons, but GTA V isnt rendering it.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

Try using the HTPC client for Plex, it scales much better to different resolutions. You just need to map the arrow keys, enter and escape to the controls manually to navigate.

Started taking my Deck to work again, playing a whole bunch of Street Fighter 6 on my breaks.

E: Just saw a system update with "performance improvements for Star Wars Jedi Survivor" as one of 2 changes, someone report on that please.

I thought HTPC was only for plex pass?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Mescal posted:

Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip!

FYI:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Fstab
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Persistent_block_device_naming

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/fstab
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:SwifT/Complete_Handbook/Configuring_the_system#File_system_information

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

shitton of options there that might help out

Its interesting that IPC is failing, hm

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

Nope, it's basically just the Plex app for using on TVs. Same as you'd get on a smart TV or console instead of the browser interface. I don't have a Plex Pass and use it just fine.

Thank you so much for this omfg the experience is SO GOOD

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Has anyone tried the star wars game after the updates? Same q for TLoU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Weird issue in game mode: When running Discord, a notification from someone freezes the whole app for up to a minute or two

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

VelociBacon posted:

Hi, looking for recommendations that might be a little specific, basically something very accessible, along the lines of Dredge or Dave the Diver. Anything else super creative and interesting like that around? Presume this is for someone who has never really played games - no shooters or anything like that. Thanks!

itch.io

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

njsykora posted:

After you've played a verified game on Deck for a while it'll pop up a thing on the game page asking if you think its status is correct.

if its still within the refund period refund it saying it doesnt work on deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

im redownloading miles morales from scratch because this loving game hasnt worked once and my deck is basically stock for all intents and purposes

no wait it DID work at some point and then it never worked again :(