Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I'm still mad that there's no save migration, but I'll probably play Monster Hunter: Rise on the Deck.

I'd also be into FFXIV (and FFXI), since I'm already a controller guy. Should be pretty good.

American Truck Simulator!

Aside from those, I expect I'll revisit a lot of random games that I picked up on PC, but then never got around to. The convenience and novelty will make me want to try stuff, and who knows what'll stick? I had a similar experience with the Switch, where I finished multiple games that I had drifted away from elsewhere, because it's so much easier to whip out a portable for a few minutes than to set aside time and sit at my desk, or wrestle the good TV away from everyone else in the house (and then make the kids leave the room so they don't see all these sick headshots that they're not ready for).

Currently, most of my PS5 time is spent in remote play for the same reasons, so I see the Steam Deck filling a similar role. I'll basically use it to play everything that I'm not playing on PS5, assuming the ergonomics are decent. The Switch will be relegated to exclusives, since it's such a dog for multiplatform stuff.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jan 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the other reason the vita failed: Vita Ridge Racer was terrible while Ridge Racer PSP was amazing

Similarly, the Vita Wipeout, while not terrible, was not as good as the two for PSP.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Wake me up when there’s a Valve WonderSwitch Crystal.

edit: .com

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I hope they figure it out, because I hella want to play Revengeance on the Deck.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Kwolok posted:

But you don't want to use the decks controls?

I was going to play it with Rock Band drums, obviously. (Actually I forgot what the conversation was about and got confused.)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I turn it off when it’s loud, like in a lot of switch games.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jokes posted:

Also, FFXI (with Windower) works really really well on the Deck. Highly recommend it. FF14/XIVLauncher too. Finally, a dedicated Final Fantasy machine.

My Deck came and I'm so loving excited about both of those. Waiting for a lil' bluetooth keyboard to arrive before I start configuring anything that requires that much tinkering, though.

Time to top up on crysta. :riker:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got chiaki going. This truly is the second coming of the Vita.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I got a big microSD, and the Deck keeps pooping out errors when I try to format it. It seems to work when I use it on other machines, so I’m not convinced that the card is defective.

I did some poking around and see that others have dealt with similar stuff, and it might be fixable with some linux hijinks. Anybody here have this issue?

Edit: tried it for the fifth time or so and it just worked. :iiam:

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 22, 2022

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I've run into a couple of weird input issues, and I'm wondering if these are familiar to anyone.

The first is that in profiles that use the right trackpad as a mouse and pressing that pad as a click (which kind of sucks, because you inevitably wiggle it around a bit while applying the pressure), the clicks have stopped registering entirely.

The other thing is that in some games my right stick freaks out. Like, in Half Life 2 (which you'd expect to have a stone cold perfect profile from Valve), sometimes I can only turn to the right, and can't turn left.

I know there are a lot of variables with the steam input system (and even on my other computers I've had it act crazy before), so I'm not expecting any solutions, really, but I'd feel better if I knew that these sorts of things happened to other people, too.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

unpurposed posted:

Thanks! I wish there was a smaller keyboard (or transparent) for these situations.

Ugh, yeah, I've had the keyboard obscure the field I'm typing in a few times, and it sucks, especially because the touch keyboard can be so unresponsive that I'm not always sure if it registered or not.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Bluetooth audio latency is a lot lower than it used to be (assuming your devices all use more recent BT standards).

I’m very sensitive to sync issues (my wife thinks I’m a maniac when I start rebooting and reconnecting devices because I perceive some tiny delay when we’re watching a show), but I have no problem playing games with airpods.

Edit: I haven’t actually tried it on the Deck, though.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Fun little tip I just discovered: in desktop mode the on-screen keyboard you can bring up (Steam+X) pops up based on where your mouse pointer is. Mouse on top half? keyboard pops on the bottom. It was driving me mad that sometimes the keyboard would pop on the top half and I had no idea why. Now I know.

God drat, thank you.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

jokes posted:

What are you people playing on the deck?

I've been bouncing around between

Death Stranding (on PS5 via chiaki)
American Truck Simulator
Metal Wolf Chaos
Killer7 (it's so nice to play on the deck, I might actually finish it this time)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The new color management on 3.5 makes a huge difference. It turns out that the display panel in there isn't quite as lovely as it seemed!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
For all you new deck havers, one fun thing to do to personalize your deck is changing the boot video.

https://www.laptopmag.com/how-to/how-to-add-a-custom-boot-animation-to-your-steam-deck

I clipped out a bit of a VT startup sequence from Steel Battalion: Line of Contact for mine:

https://streamable.com/iel2b5

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

History Comes Inside! posted:

That and (so far) Valve give a poo poo about updating it whereas most OEMs don’t bother updating a drat thing once a device is out the door.

This is why the Asus ROG Ally is not even remotely tempting for me. I have one of their gaming laptops, and their lovely "Armory Crate" software that they use to manage all their custom stuff is a massive piece of poo poo. Every so often they do something to break it, and it can take months for them to fix their mess.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I mostly use desktop mode to get non-steam games working (which I can then launch from game mode once they’re set up).

Most recently I started using Lutris to install old junk from my GOG library.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Kwolok posted:

Input lag below a certain threshold is imperceptible. And while ultimately for things like fighting games, yes this tiny amount of input lag improvement will help you, you'd never be able to consciously notice a difference.

That's broadly true, but the input lag on the LCD deck can cross that threshold with the right combination of refresh rate and vsync settings and stuff, regardless of the type of game.

You don't want your FPS to feel like Killzone 2.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vegastar posted:

I just use these to take the strain off the port itself and some velcro cable straps to keep the cord at a reasonable length as needed so it’s not a tripping hazard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0B76VM9FJ

Oh man, that's a great idea. I love right angles for audio cables, but it never occurred to me to look for that in USB.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Pooperscooper posted:

I’m doing it now and it’s pretty cool, I haven’t used Desktop mode before. If I want install user made patches do I do I just look them over the directory then do some shortcut thing?

That'll depend on the specific mod. If it's just a matter of extracting some files, you can probably just dump 'em in there. If you have to run some kind of patcher, then the "Run EXE inside Wine prefix" option can come in handy. It'll let you run other random programs within the little environment you already made for that game.

It's also good for when there's like a separate configurator to set up game options.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Is there any browser I can install without going to desktop mode

You have to go to desktop mode to install anything that’s not on the steam store. You can then add it to steam so you can launch it in game mode after that.

Super No Vacancy posted:

doesnt accessing your library in game mode for the first time ask if you want to install chrome

What? No.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Super No Vacancy posted:

it asks if you want to install it and add a shortcut the first time you tab to non-steam games

Weird, that didn’t happen to me on either the LCD or OLED decks. I use that tab frequently, because I have a bunch of non-steam stuff installed.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Oh, maybe I turned off the tooltips because I’m a maverick who doesn’t need to be told what to do. :cool:

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The high refresh rate on the OLED is great for playing WonderSwan games (which are designed for 75 Hz). With a 60 Hz display, you normally have to choose between a juddery experience with tearing or a more smoothed out buffered style that adds latency.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 16, 2023

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it just me, or is there a huge lack of really good themes? I'm using Outrun with the dark blue and pink scheme, which is great, but other than some theme based around Persona, a game series I've never even given any thought to, none of the themes really stick out.

Also, what does that "Switch-like interface" theme do? It still looks like the SteamOS interface to me :shrug:

Square tiles I think.

I agree though, most of the themes and sound packs and poo poo are total garbage.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The rom storage thing is just for convenience. I use internal storage and it works fine.

Sometimes I wish I had gone the other way, because popping the sd card into my laptop would be such a breezy way of adding games, but using a NAS as an intermediate stop is working well enough.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yeah, it crushes ps2 games. I’ve been having a blast with that, because I missed out on a lot of ps2 games, only having gotten one way after the fact.

The only bummer is the lack of analog buttons, but that’s true with pretty much all normal person emulation solutions.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vlaphor posted:

Runs great in 2x res as well and almost runs ok at 3x, but boosting makes the framerate tank. Still, it's kind of amazing Xbox emulation has come this far, especially on the Deck.

2x Resolution with the widescreen hack applied. Gets slightly choppy when boosting, but nothing unplayable, and it runs smooth as butter at 1x

https://i.imgur.com/iZxLlY9.mp4

For a fully immersive roleplaying experience, pretend you're playing it in backcompat mode on an Xbox 360. Some of the particle effects and stuff caused slowdown on the 360, too.

Slam some Code Red and huff that vent.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have set up EmuDeck/EmulationStation on my Deck following the guide in the OP.

Is there some issue with getting screenshots off the Deck from that app in Game Mode? When I try to upload the screenshot it gives a failure message. The screenshots on my Steam account are sorted by game and I guess since it's a nom-Steam app it won't go?

I tried looking for info on this but couldn't find anything useful. One suggestion was to screenshot the screenshot lol. That at least gives "Steam Menu" as the category for the screenshot and when I upload it, it says it's successful... But I can't find it when looking at the screenshot list on my PC?

Your guess is right, Steam won't upload shots from non-steam games. It's extra annoying, because Steam screenshots are buried in some nonsense place by default, but you can make life easier by changing that.

In Steam's settings (might have to be in desktop mode), under In Game, there's a toggle to "Save an uncompressed copy of my screenshots." You can turn this on, and specify a more reasonable location for your shots. From there, you have a few options for getting them out, depending on how you like to sync or copy stuff.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

E. Nesbit posted:

I'm occasionally hearing a crackling sound from my deck. I'm pretty sure it's not the audio, but a tiny gubbin hitting the fan. Everything seems to be working normally, and I honestly don't recall ever dropping my Deck any significant distance.

Is anyone here familiar with this issue?

This could be wildly off track, but the haptics in the deck are capable of making some truly insane noises. Maybe try turning off all the rumble stuff and see if it still happens.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
An RGB light was added to the OLED model.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

One thing I really love about Tetris Effect is that the sound effects for your movements are not just in the same key as the song, so not only does it not sound dissonant, but it actually goes along with it all, but the timing of the sound effects are manipulated so they match up with the tempo.

If you play Classic Score Attack, that's the best place to notice this; the game won't play a given sound effect quite when you move or turn a piece, but rather that sound will wait until next beat (probably 16th note?) to happen and then it'll play it. So it's like you're musically improvising over the track.

Hell yeah. It's like Rez that way, and unlike Lumines, where things are more free-running, so you can cause a horrible cacophony that clashes with the music.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Vic posted:

Don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat but that looks bad.

Yeah. those upscaled backgrounds look insane. The outpainting came out reasonably well, but the whole smeary mess looks bad anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Shard posted:

Yeah I didn't like that FF7 mod at all. Was it just me or did the character models look off too?

Yeah, the videos are using some other mod for the characters called Ninostyle. Pretty weird lookin'.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Cyrano4747 posted:

Skipped it since I never played the original.

I played the remake without having played the original, and I had a blast. I think I knew enough from nerd cultural osmosis to appreciate some of the changes. Now I’m playing the original, and it’s interesting to compare them in reverse!

Waffle! posted:

Ok, so upon research Steam Deck won't download in sleep mode. But the Switch absolutely will.

I think if the Steam Deck tried to do any tasks while asleep and zipped up in a case it would melt.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Bumhead posted:

Anyone here playing Helldivers 2 on Deck?

There’s videos out there of course and it sounds like there’s compromises, but I always find it handy to ask. Curious if anyone is enjoying it on Deck, or if there’s just too much compromise.

It’s a little ugly, but totally playable. It’s definitely one I prefer to play on or stream from my laptop, but I still enjoy it on the Deck itself.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Party Boat posted:

If you're the kind of weirdo (like me) who uses Steam Remote Play, be warned that a bug that breaks it and causes the stream to be stuck on the loading screen is in the Steam Deck client update that rolled out to the stable channel yesterday. This bug was in the preview and beta channels too and multiple people flagged it and Valve ignored them.

Remote Play still works if you run it from Steam in desktop mode for some reason.

God drat it, i switched to stable to get around that poo poo.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Ineffiable posted:

I think the idea is, on your gaming pc you're queuing for some multi-player game and on the steam deck you can play an idle game or something less effort like a rpg.

Could always make a second account, just won't share saves/achievements.

Yeah, it's not that weird. A friend of mine is obsessed with this sports management game that basically plays itself, and it would be nice to have that doing its thing while he plays something else, without having to mess with accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Squiggle posted:

Cross-posting from the grognard games thread, the conversation there around Silent Hunter 3 got me wondering...Does it Deck?

It was near bedtime so all I really did was tool around shallow seas, so it could all fall apart in the thick of it. But I enjoy making control bindings for weird poo poo, so I'll keep at it and publish it when it's ready.

PSA: If you make bindings, publish them for others! Steam input modability loving rules and is extremely powerful! I swear, it's the best underutilized thing about the deck.

That sounds great! When it comes to mods, is there one to make it so you don't have to put your crew to bed like little babies?