Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
lotta people here who haven't used an elite controller with back paddles

gently caress face buttons imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
am I the only one who turns off rumble whenever I can? it's annoying and burns the battery faster (exception is the steam controller's haptic trackpads, those are good)

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

anatomi posted:

Yes, you're the only one. But you should be happy that every single game developer in the world have put in the option to disable rumble, just for you.

Edit: sorry, that probably came off way more bitchy than I intended.

i wish they did lol, a surprising number of games won't let you (im looking at you diablo 3)

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Blade Runner posted:

I placed my pre-order on the exact minute of it opening and I got the email and paid for the thing so they're coming I guess

same im stoked

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I got mine at 1:13 est today and preordered within the first minute

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
they are shipping soon I guess:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
It's really not that big a deal to use an SD card - https://youtu.be/4AIY5wH77Po

there's a bunch of videos but storage read speed is not usually the bottleneck for loading deck games

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Heran Bago posted:

Anyone using OneDrive or a similar cloud solution to sync up their curated ROM collection? How'd that work out for you?

Also, is there a dock that works for both the Steam Deck and Switch? I know the 1st party Nintendo one sure won't.

I've been using syncthing for this and saves, it works pretty well (and is self hosted).

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
(safe) longer cables need to be thicker and heavier and thus less portable which kinda sucks when you don't need it

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
yes

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Lots of people talking about their success stories getting favorite games to run on Deck. Anyone have failure stories? That game you love which just refuses to run correctly?

I'm not interested in hearing about games where the Deck is not powerful enough to run it, but rather games which it feasibly could run but the software just won't work in Proton.

I haven't been able to get the Septimus Skyrim modpack to work, it always crashes a bit after startup. Normal Skyrim works fine tho.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Downloading updates while plugged in and asleep seems totally reasonable, maybe we'll get that.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
IMO the best feature is cross save cross buy with my entire library - I've lots of games that play well on switch but are also on PC and until now I've been forced to choose between portability with bad graphics at home and good experience on PC but no portability. For that niche I don't know that anything else comes close.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Hammer Bro. posted:

Anyone know if Xenoblade 3 emulates well on the Deck?

My Switch apparently now overheats and puts itself in sleep mode with a few seconds' warning.

With the latest EA build it works pretty well so far.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Kinda nuts. Is there a particular reason why the Switch is so easy to emulate? I'm sure the patreon money helps, but still.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegra posted:

In March 2015, Nvidia announced the Tegra X1

The chip inside is just kinda old and when new it wasn't very fast. It also helps that it's pretty "normal" by game console standards when compared to a PC.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
The flydigi Vader is a very nice controller IMO if you want more buttons and gyro.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
120hz is sick for simple games though? what's the downside here other than a tiny additional cost on a device that already costs a hojillion dollars

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Batteries in general haven't kept up with power draw for electronic items

you don't have to run it at 120hz constantly

I'm happy to run dead cells at 120hz and Warhammer at 40hz

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

Dead Cells at 120hz will almost certainly annihilate the battery. It's not about whether you're running AAA titles or not. Part of the issue (and it's a problem for phones too!) is that the games you'll probably want to play at a high refresh rate, stuff like short session 2D games, are the games you're most likely to be playing without power.

Maybe it will! you get 6-7hrs right now at 60hz and if that was cut down to 3-4 I'd absolutely do it for most of my usage. If you have a 7 hour flight and don't want to you can crank down the display.

Having the option to go hard and get best graphics when plugged into the plane outlet and conserve battery at reduced fps when there isn't one is one of the things that makes these devices so much nicer than a switch.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

Friendly goon I get your point but you are not getting 3-4 hours of battery life at 120hz on a Windows-based gaming handheld, plain and simple.

I don't think just installing SteamOS is going to fix it either

Yeah windows is a huge downside but if there was a proper steam deck with a 120hz OLED I'd buy it immediately.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
windows has been trying to do exactly this with modern standby and it is loving Awful

maybe valve could do better but ugh

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Absolutely no way it runs at anything approaching playable on steam deck.

BOTW only works because people are playing the Wii U version instead.

you might be very surprised

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Best Buy just delivered my ally this afternoon, so that's cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Trip report: windows 11 set up process continues to be rear end. So many ads and check boxes and nonsense, but hopefully that's all done with.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's got a custom ui that seems decent.

I'm playing software update games before doing anything else.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

How is it going? To get you get past the Windows Updates yet and figure out how to navigate without a touchpad?

Pretty good so far, the touchscreen works well and the gamepad mouse emulation seems more reliable than the desktop mode gamepad mouse emu on my steam deck, especially around keyboards. Last Epoch runs way better even at low tdp. Sleep is the weirdest part so far, it's not clear to me how long you hold the power button for sleep vs hibernate vs power off, though the soft button in the sidebar seems reliable.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
FWIW I've been using my ally daily since release and it's been great (modulo windows being bad). If you want a better screen or windows im not sure there's anything better available.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

I really hope HDR works over Moonlight

Moonlight/Sunshine HDR works great on macos and windows and android so I suspect it'll work well on deck. Maybe it'll need a patch since linux HDR is pretty new but I doubt it'll be long.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

My man, asking the same question I’ve been wondering since I clicked ‘Order’. I intend to yank out those dirty potentiometers as soon as I am able.

Have there actually been a lot of drifting deck sticks? I preemptively replaced the sticks on mine with gulikit ones but I actually don't like the feel of them as much as the stock ones. I won't be replacing my OLED deck sticks unless they break .

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok ordered an OLED. any HDR games in the sale people are recommending

ori and the will of the wisps is crazy pretty on the OLED

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Imagine how hosed you have to be to play games without running the latest version of all installed software. smdh

I bet y'all are behind on your windows updates too.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

How do you configure that? We’re a two-Deck household and I haven’t seen anything about pairing them together via bluetooth or such. Do you need some 3rd-party software?

You can use one as a remote play client of the other.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

oh, does that work for just sending control inputs? I’ve only ever used remote stuff for complete video+control streaming. I’ll check it out

You still get the video stream but you can set it to low quality and crank down the brightness.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

jokes posted:

Be careful because you'll soon tell yourself "why would I play a video game at my desk with a KBM when I can play a video game anywhere" then you sell your PC and get frustrated at the low performance of the Deck and buy a different handheld like the Ally, which can run things better than the Deck. Then you stop using the Deck and your PC, and decide to sell both of them to buy an eGPU for your Ally so you can have a dedicated video game machine that's a handheld but also a high-powered gaming PC when you dock it.

Don't be like me, it costs money (kinda).

did they fix the ally's egpu support? it was so flaky in August that I returned mine.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Is anyone else playing My Time at Sandrock on their Deck? My wife and I are having a fine time on her LCD and my OLED, but someone in the Steam thread says their experience sucks, with multi-minute loading issues. Trying to figure out what’s up—Valve says “unsupported” by our experience has been Playable at the least.

I've been playing through most of sandeock and it's totally fine with a 40fps cap.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Moonlight is actively working on deck HDR and you can mess around with it if you want to use the early builds: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/issues/1117

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

My issue is I still haven't figured out how to have an overlay that shows battery power and the current time. I don't need fps counter or how many watts the GPU is chugging, just have a little potato icon display if something is straining the graphics hardware.

you can edit the mangohud presets the deck uses and replace any of the levels with whatever you want

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

How?

I'll have to experiment with this. Does capping fps do anything on games where this isn't even a factor? I'm guessing some games are just not optimized well for the deck. Would be neat if I could just plug in user submitted settings the same way I could for user submitted controller settings on games.

I've heard something about that, but how hot are we really talking here? And if we make considerations for a hole to run a charging cable there's no reason they couldn't have vent holes to dissipate heat as well. Or a little built in fan like some wireless chargers have built in to help with heat build up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-h3_CfsjQ

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

I haven’t seen any updates on Moonlight or Sunshine HDR.

I’ve thought about making a synthetic display somehow in software that I could use for Sunshine, because it would then be able to render at 2400x1600 for some nice oversampling. (Both my displays are 1440p so I can’t get Sunshine to do more than that vertically as far as I’ve seen.) That might work for 90Hz streaming too…

Sunshine HDR already works for non deck clients, but moonlight deck HDR is still being worked on: https://github.com/moonlight-stream/moonlight-qt/issues/1117

I recommend an EDID emulator dongle and display port adapter - I tried the virtual thing for a while but it's a lot less robust than hardware. Many of them (including the one I have https://a.co/d/cYg2MN2) can be flashed with an arbitrary EDID.

Fun fact: you can't get a dummy plug to negotiate HDMI 2.1 afaik, but you can if you connect it to a display port to HDMI 2.1 adapter. Normally they're a bit jank but for pretending to be a display they work great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
If you combine it with rewasd or steam input you can do a lot of cool remapping things.