Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I learned about funiculars by playing the Deus Ex games. Whoever designs those things fuckin' loves funiculars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
That corner is a bit of a nightmare for cycling and public transit. There's that right-left chicane, a hospital on the right and then a third lane comes out of nowhere - if you're getting off the westbound streetcar you have to cross TWO lanes of traffic - and then Dundas bottlenecks right back into effectively one lane because of the parking on the curb lane. I see people raging trying to merge all the time there, it's a really dangerous spot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was gonna say "just hop the fence like I did when I lived right next to my college campus" but I assume that's in America and could get you shot.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martian posted:

These American trucks literally do not fit in Amsterdam

Obv the owners don't give a poo poo

https://twitter.com/kunsttranen/status/1541073620360994817

'RAM blocks tram gently caress off with your asocial car in the city'

Huh. Sympathy for the Dutchman.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have mixed feelings about e-bikes and scooters. Some of them look really fun and I'd like to try ripping around a parking lot with one of the 'sportbike' ones, or one of the little pit bikes. As a motorcyclist I think they have a lot of potential for fun.

But goddamn, without fail they are just driven in the worst way by the worst people around here. At the risk of sounding classist... you know when you can look at someone and go "that person has a DUI?" These are the kinds of characters roving around on e-bikes in this city. Hanging their feet by the sides because the scooter's footrest area is full of groceries or garbage. Parking and riding down the sidewalk. Running red lights, and unpredictably changing from bike lane to road to sidewalk all the time. The least-lovely of them are actual delivery drivers, and they're still almost always staring at their cellphones as they dart around looking for their delivery location.

That poo poo weighs like 250lbs. That's a motorcycle. Get it the gently caress off the sidewalk.

There is one local e-bike guy I like: he's always in the road lanes, wearing a helmet, and singing along and pumping his fist to like, System of a Down or something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Epic High Five posted:

Also lots of people drive them like stupid assholes but at least one isnt going to wipe out an entire grade school class at a crosswalk

Yes that's true. I didn't mean to make it sound like there's anything worse than car drivers. I'm almost entirely a pedestrian these days and I do get into it a lot with cyclists on the sidewalk, but I'm 100% cognizant that in the gradient of danger and stupidity, cars are firmly on top, and absolutely onboard tackling car problems and making things harder for drivers in my city before doing anything about cyclists/e-bikes.

Unfortunately, colour yourself surprised but the cops around here don't seem to share the same priorities. This whole thing reeks of 'the cruelty being the point', Toronto is fast becoming yet another city where the get-away-with-murder weapon of choice is a car.

mystes posted:

Edit: wait are you talking about the moped type of scooter rather than folding scooters? I feel like we need different words for the two kinds

All of them. Bicycles with electric motors, the Vespa-sized 'moped' scooters, and standup/folding scooters. The Vespa-sized ones are the worst because they're so huge and heavy (and seem to be driven by the stupidest people), but all kinds of them are on sidewalks all the time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeeSeeBee posted:

Bird seed is cheap, easy to conceal, gets everywhere, and the end result really gets the goat of the vain assholes who drive these things and park like that :)

Anchovy oil in the air conditioning ducts. Especially if it's on a hot day. They will never get the smell out.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The HBO series Silicon Valley.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
that's what cocaine is for

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"me mate Dangerous Dave once took twenty-two ecstacy in one night. He said he found it hard to get to sleep and the next day he was still buzzin', but everyone on the Egham to Ruislip bus said he drove it better than he ever did before."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What happened with that other white woman who ran over a child in New York? Is she facing charges?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I just heard out my window a guy on some kind of cruiser motorcycle absolutely flip out on a driver for cutting him off.

"gently caress you you fuckin' dick, gently caress you!!! You gonna cut me off, gently caress YOU!!! gently caress you gently caress you fuuuuuck youuuu!!!" for a good half a minute or so. The driver didn't say anything.

I remember when that used to be me. :unsmith:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
EDIT: ^^^ Yeah that, well said.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What causes those kind of meltdowns? The ones where you just don't loving let it go and you just keep going on yelling and yelling and yelling? What causes that? How do you sustain that?

Well any time I ever 'saw red' and screamed at someone (as a cyclist or motorcyclist) it was over a potentially injurious and damaging collision caused by their stupidity. I think maybe some people express being extra defensive - to account for the vulnerabilities of being on two wheels - in outwardly aggressive ways, and to an extent that's probably fair.

I couldn't speak this guy's mental state was or how severe the potential collision, I was on the shitter so I couldn't look out the window at the scene.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Oh wow, he painted it. It used to be green. I also didn't know he was in Alberta.

I've never knocked off mirrors or kicked in panels, as a cyclist or motorcyclist, though I know plenty who have.

A story for the thread, although this one is more ACAB than gently caress Cars: Once, as a cyclist, I almost copped an assault charge for spitting on the hood of someone's car. This was probably the summer of 2010, maybe '11, and I was riding home across the city after crashing at a friend's house. I was on a main road without a bike lane, and someone in a station wagon drifted to the right, into me, to the point that my handlebars were making contact with her car and the parked cars to my right. I hadn't had many encounters with drivers at this point and it was real scary; I thought she was going to squish me. When she came to a stop I got ahead of her car and yelled a bit, and yes, not proud of it, in a moment of rage I spat on her car, then went on my way.

More than two kilometers later, a cop pulled me over. He asked for my ID, and never once got out of his car - I had to reach over his passenger seat to hand him the ID. If you guessed that this cop was corpulent, you'd be right. He explained that someone had witnessed the incident and that if they could find the victim and get a statement, I'd be charged with assault. I was shocked, although pretty immediately my mind was like "yeah I guess so," as even back then I knew this city hated cyclists. We sat for probably 20 minutes, my anxiety growing as I baked in the Sun and this cop sat in his AC, although near the end I could tell he was getting flustered because nobody was getting back to him on the rover. Either this driver was long gone or she didn't want to give a statement (thanks lady!).

Finally he handed me back my ID and said "OK, you got lucky, but listen: There are people in this city who would beat your rear end for doing that." And I thought drat, true, a life lesson from a pig. And then he leaned in a little bit closer across his passenger seat and said "Matter of fact, if you did that to my car, I'd put six loving rounds into you."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Lol that bollard video is great, especially because they had to total like seven Dodge Chargers or whatever.

bike tory posted:

my car is part of my identity, it's how I express myself

Are these cars all actually exactly the same size? I know the same chassis is used for a LOT of cars but I didn't think that many competing manufacturers. I think the photos might be resized so the wheelbases are all the same.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One of my least favourite things to have to do is walk around cars that have pulled out too far from a driveway or whatever. The drivers are often looking in the opposite direction, waiting for a gap in traffic and completely unaware of pedestrians. Meek people will go around the back of the car, but I don't do that.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Karach posted:

Give them a li'l hood slap, the look on their faces is always fun.

Sometimes I do, but most people around here get way aggressive. I've got a pretty loud report so a "HEY" usually works. The incredulous expressions are indeed fun.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ lmao touché

BeeSeeBee posted:

^And once you've got their attention, mime the exaggerated stepping over the big rock in the road.

I like to deal with sidewalk cyclists similarly: If I see them coming I stand in the middle of the sidewalk and do an exaggerated yawn and full-body stretch.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Smythe posted:

cars much like corporations are people

Yes. Cars, corporations, and uhh, guns, are all people. People, however, are not people. Depeche Mode was wrong on that one.

I hate sidewalk parkers too, used to mouth off at them a lot but I've cooled off on that one a bit since it's a non-moving violation and I, personally, am not affected by it. That said, I'm not getting out of the way. If that means I walk into your mirror and it ends up bent the wrong way, that's not on me.

I did have a funny encounter a few years ago, as a third party, with a sidewalk parker. There was plenty of space on the other side of the road but she parked her luxury SUV on the wrong side curb to unload her groceries with her child. I was just coming back from the grocery store on foot (lede) and wasn't going to say anything, just sighed as I approached. But a cyclist riding down the street started calling her out for it, and he pointed to me and said "Yeah, you ARE inconveniencing people, like this guy!" I thought for a second and was like "Hey yeah, he's right! You're not setting a good example for your kid, lady."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

Yeah bro gently caress cyclists.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but if they're on the sidewalk, absolutely gently caress 'em, they shouldn't be there. All the time where I live there are people riding dangerously on the sidewalk, grown-rear end adults who should know better. Sometimes they will even ding their bells at pedestrians to get out of the way. I have sympathy for cyclists - in the spectrum of danger by stupidity they're pretty low - but sidewalk cycling is a dangerous nuisance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdIARGRMrk4

I don't doubt this monologue was inspired by a real encounter Dave had.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

But seriously, riding dangerously on the sidewalk isnt cool, but there are circumstances where the sidewalk is the only safe option due to car-centric design. Posting puerile bullshit like this isn’t going to result in everyone standing up and clapping:

OK, I can't get a read on you, but I don't really care. It's just a funny way to annoy an rear end in a top hat. Wait... is that your game???

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Loucks posted:

No. Your post was bad and dumb. If you actually do that dumb poo poo instead of just lying about it online you’re too embarrassing for words.

e: the idea that anyone who rides a bike on the sidewalk for any reason is an rear end in a top hat is plenty to dismiss you as an oblivious moron. Try riding a bike in a city for any length of time and then come back and post about bikes on sidewalks.

Lol you're a dumbass. I rode a bicycle across the busiest city in Canada every day for several years and I never had to ride on the sidewalk, even after a few minor collisions like the one I spoke of earlier ITT. Don't put words in my mouth, either. I never said that absolutist poo poo. There are absolutely fine cases (like an empty sidewalk in the middle of the night, or a child on a child's bike), but if you're going to defend someone dinging at people like the sidewalk belongs to them you're a dickhead.

I'm not talking about multi-use paths, either. I used to ride the Martin Goodman Trail all the time and ding to announce an overtake. I'm talking about sidewalks. You know, for walking. That people walk on, and sometimes stand, sometimes in groups, sometimes smoking outside a bar or taking photographs of something interesting. A bell in that context is "get out of my way," and it's a total dick move.

I'm done with you, let's stay on target here.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 01:21 on Nov 29, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
drat, I hope you've got nice shoes.

I used to walk almost 9km home from work if the streetcars weren't running, which was often because I'd get leave work at like 5AM sometimes. I couldn't do that these days because I've gained weight and my legs chafe, but other than that long-distance walking is something I've always enjoyed.

I'm not about to hike to the loving Yukon though.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greatbacon posted:

The more you do it, the easier it gets because your brain lets you tune out longer/safer/less complicated stretches.

Yeah this is true.

Having a pair of headphones helps, also. You can lose track of time easily when listening to a few albums you enjoy.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In Toronto we have 'ghost bike' memorials to cyclists killed on the road - I think this is done in lots of cities, not just here. Recently a cyclist riding in a bike lane was killed by a truck driver and a memorial went up at the location.

Then this happened.

https://twitter.com/CanadianCycling/status/1601234666283216897

IDK if that's more appropriate for an ACAB thread (or if there even still is one?) but gently caress cars and gently caress the police.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm Warwick Davis and welcome to Jackass.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if I'm able to articulate this correctly, but do any of you feel like I do, that 'highway lane etiquette' and being overly concerned about it are symptoms of carbrain in people who would otherwise be right there with you complaining about lovely drivers?

I'm talking about "stay out of the left lane except to pass, I don't care if you're doing the speed limit!" I hear this a lot from friends who drive, who are otherwise competent and calm drivers who yield to cyclists and pedestrians. I'm recalling a video from many years ago, someone was filming from the passenger seat of their car as a bunch of idiots in supercars went racing down the DVP. The discussion around the video was full of "hey gently caress her for being in the left lane, she's just as much of a danger as the street racers."

It doesn't make sense to me, and when these same people rage about someone not moving right to let them pass, they tend to leave out the fact that they're like 60 over the limit the entire time they're on the highway. I think it's a more benign but still present symptom of the insular feeling people get when they're inside their rolling cage.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like waiting for a green before turning right just because it makes people mad :shobon:

I used to do this with the motorcycle (and occasionally when I was cycling) after too many people would try to creep around me. It's actually taught in MSF courses around here that if you're making a right turn you should basically have the bike pointed diagonally across the lane.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Xaris posted:

well that is literally the law in most countries/states.

Yeah, that's true and that's sort of why I feel it's difficult to articulate. Yes, they're right that you should move over and let the insane person doing 160kmh by, but the way the complaint is often levelled I just get an overwhelming sense of "get the gently caress out of my way I'm the protagonist of reality" like I never get the impression the response is "yeah so this slowpoke was in the left lane so I stayed a safe distance back and ended up stuck behind him doing 100 the entire way to Orillia."

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mawarannahr posted:

it is the bikers who have car brain because they’re forced to share with cars and learn stupid car laws. they should also stay off the sidewalk cause they can’t help themselves from being lovely to pedestrians.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
RIP GNARKILL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D7IAvRAXng

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

someusername posted:

the confrontation go-to response is "I'm wearing this because I have Rona"

I prefer "shut up, baby dick."

Frank's explanation of the two types of AIDS, "I'm a vagina guy" always kills me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Greg12 posted:

dogs receive more training than humans and become better drivers than humans

This video is so stupid but I can't stop laughing at the 'g-funk west coast whistle' synth soundtrack.

silicone thrills posted:

Re cars and national parks: ... a whole loving group of motorcyles...

This post feels like bait designed in a lab specifically for me. Nah, not really, I mean it is fun to rip around country roads on a sportbike (ah it's just a big fuckin' bicycle, bud) but at night is crazy and I definitely agree it should be illegal around provincial parks and nature preserves.

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what's going on in this video? Like he floored the accelerator pedal and then just randomly lost traction?

Yeah, people underestimate the power of cars like that all the time; even a small steering adjustment while you're really flooring it can break traction and if you already don't know not to do that, you're not going to figure out how to correct it without crashing.

People say Ferrari has this exclusive customer vetting process and that you basically can't just buy a Ferrari without visiting the factory and becoming a brand ambassador and all this other crazy poo poo but I dunno. There are an awful lot of videos on the internet of people at the wheel of one who seem to have zero understanding of or respect for the car.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Admittedly I don't take public transit often, but at least in my neighbourhood I'm actually kind of impressed with the new streetcars' 'do not pass, doors are open/ing' warnings/lights.

(For those not from around here, that's the Spadina car which is almost always completely separated from traffic by the boarding island seen in the pic; most streetcar routes are not like this and you have to cross one or two lanes of traffic to get to the sidewalk. The text and warning sign light up when the doors are opening, along with flashing LED strips along the side of the vehicle. The old streetcars simply had a warning sticker in the back window.)

I still always stick my head out and check because I've been nearly hit by drivers and cyclists a handful of times before. But almost every time I have in the past couple of years, I'm surprised to see a car actually just sitting there by the rear of the streetcar.

I still miss the old CLRV streetcars though :(

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ensign Expendable posted:

Drivers don't give a poo poo, I live above a streetcar stop and the evenings are a non-stop cacophony of streetcars laying it on at drivers racing to do a right turn through some passengers.

Maybe people on Dundas West are just nicer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lib and let die posted:

I thought this thread might like this

Jesus Christ, is this show always like this? The guy on the right is an imbecile.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

About two decades ago there was a to-do about some guy leaving his garage door open with a purse in plain view, who shot the first person to come into his boobytrap to take the bait. Guy went to jail.

Wonder how that'd play out in 2022.

Wasn't there a case where a guy boobytrapped his house and laid in wait with a shotgun and killed two children, and was convicted? I can't remember any more details than that.

There was also the guy who called 911 about his neighbour's house being broken into, and despite the dispatcher's pleas, went outside and murdered both robbers. He was cleared and the town he lived in had a big party about it, IIRC.

Mister Speaker has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Jan 11, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

BeeSeeBee posted:

The grey-ing of higher end cars is really weird to me.

you buy the ostentatious car and then opt for primer grey? :psyduck: I imagine it was initially a novelty having something like that in the sea of candy colors, but they're so common these days, it just looks like a bunch of unfinished cars (and it's always a $$$ paint option).

Is this a legit BMW advertisement, or just a photo from a meetup where three (four, if you count the camera car) bimmer drivers decided to take up the entire road?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can't find it but I just saw a screencap of a news article out of Philadelphia (I think) about a cyclist who was killed by a car. Some of the most horrific use of the passive voice I've ever read; it said something like "Cyclist who collided with car on her bicycle has died in hospital." I mean that's barely even passive voice, that's practically blaming the cyclist.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thank you duomo for finding the article. Infuriating. Honestly, what is with the passive voice in journalism? Is it out of some toxic desire to maintain 'impartiality' above all else, indoctrinated into journalism students by their dinosaur professors? Are the editors in the pocket of some nefarious lobbying interests, like police unions or car companies? It's mind-boggling that more people don't see right through this sort of language.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I might have asked this before, but realistically how many able-bodied adults do you think it would take to lift and flip over the average car? Just something I've thought about, seeing photos of cars parked in bike lanes or sidewalks or otherwise inappropriate spots; how funny it would be to invert the situation (quite literally) and make it into a serious problem for the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure how I feel about that lawsuit; in Ontario (and I think a lot of other places) there is precedent that a venue can be liable for your actions after leaving if intoxication at that venue is a factor.

But lmao, of course it's London. That city is a benighted shithole and easily the most disgustingly car-centric place I've ever lived. She might have gotten a more serious sentence in Toronto, but London is not a city that fucks with drivers' rights, for any reason.