Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cars are useless. Embrace the future of nothing but crew cab trucks with short beds. Get em in hybrid, Ecoboost 4 cylinder, giant V8, or electric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Cars are cool because their suspension can be rocked so that you can wedge yourself in between them by parallel parking with a bit of vigor

Can't do that with trains

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Americans despise the idea of public transit because it means sometimes you may have to walk a few blocks

Idea: a bus that stops every block so it takes forever to get anywhere

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

donoteat posted:

a self-driving car intelligent enough to navigate general road conditions will also be intelligent enough to demand wages and time off

a mild amount of snow easily defeats every self driving tech

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The new corvettes look awesome and I'm gonna try to get my rich in laws to buy one because it's gonna be a collectors item and sly Stallone will drive it in the future to catch Wesley snipes

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i say swears online posted:

i need to start a US planned city thread. my best spot is on the mississippi, somewhere south of st louis

Cairo Illinois about to be a boom town again

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
whats the coolest american car for under 6 figs to buy, im trying to convince rich in laws to do this

its the vette, right

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
streetcars are pathetic and all trains should operate either subterranean or elevated so no at grade crossings are possible

also the train tracks should have bike lanes adjacent to them so people can ride without dealing with stop signs or stoplights. just use on/offramps

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sphyre posted:

yeah we wouldn’t want our precious cars to be inconvenienced by having to stop for a tram now would we

nothing as fun as trains being unable to move because theres wrecks on the tracks to clear

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sphyre posted:

as much as i'd like to get rid of cars entirely, and of course metros are excellent, in practice the underground/overhead/monorail argument is usually deployed by concern trolls who don't want road space to be allocated away from cars and to other users

plus getting on and off a tram at street level is nice.

No it's because the regional rail line I use is entirely elevated from downtown to the end of my town, then it goes at grade, then goes below ground, then back to at grade. The at grade intersections have accidents all the loving time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Suplex Liberace posted:

lets remove the things hitting the tram instead unless the trams are colliding then lol

Lots of pedestrians die on the tracks too, let's make it so the only thing left in the world is trains running around on their own power

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its called a governor and its bullshit and is responsible for one semi truck going 64.78 mph passing another truck going 64.52 mph where it takes 25 minutes for the pass to complete on a 2 lane interstate

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

I support ~80mph governors as long as people in the left lane get auto ticketed for not passing

im passing that guy up ahead up there. no reason for me to weave back and forth between lanes over and over, ill just stay right here thanks, constantly passing the next slow guy up ahead. somewhere up there

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it debt and cheap living areas. in the UP every single person seems to have a big rear end truck, they make a household income of like 30k, but their house payments are about 40 cents a month

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

I live right next to the fastest road in the US with a limit of 85mph. It was cool for about a year but at only two lanes per side it's been destroyed by trucks and has thousands of potholes patched over and over

otoh I drove with my german foreign exchange student on the autobahn and 120mph feels like butter in german engineering. he races porsches now

where is there an 85mph road, one of the dakotas?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
im pretty sure my uncle's farm truck doesn't even have power windows, why spend the money on a wagon mover

also the single worst thing in the world are people with fake service dogs, that poo poo makes me so angry

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

try working at a hotel where by law you have to take them at their word

*chihuahua struggling in someone's arms, barking and gnawing at wrists* why hello ma'am what a lovely service animal you have there

i'm allowed to ask them what duties they're trained to perform, which always gets funny answers out of the fakers

i saw one "service animal" lay down on its side and refuse to move while its owner drug them along the (admittedly smooth) floor. bunch of other fakes ones would show up with their owners in court all the time and create disruptions nonstop

i have a cousin with an infinite amount of health problems (dwarfism, epilepsy, kidney issues leading to transplant) who has real service dogs so i can recognize one thats actually legit and it infuriates me to think she might not be able to use hers somewhere because of fakers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

that would literally be ideal, it is the perfect truck. but i dont think they sell them in the states or street legal, idk

nah theyre around, some Instagram influencer in Miami has one

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Polo-Rican posted:

Ironically, if you go to yosemite, yellowstone, zion, etc during peak travel season, you'll get loving stuck in traffic jams within the parks... It's ridiculous and kinda disgusting.

Last time I was at Zion, they highly recommended taking shuttle buses into the parks instead of driving in. Each of these parks has a little town outside the gates and they all run shuttles.

i rode on a snow bus into yellowstone when i went winter camping, it was rad as hell

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

cars freaking rock

They're the freeways of our times, someone said. Not me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Suplex Liberace posted:

hmm seems like it will cost too much lets just make the 2 right most lanes we can replace the other 3 with green space much cheeper

i think you'll find the bike lane is a great place to stand and chat with your friends so that passersby don't bother you like they would on a sidewalk. except in winter when it's full of snow and slush since no one bothers to plow it since it isn't part of the road

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Chicago one has a mix of rich areas with few cars next to rail, rich areas with lots of cars next to rail, and super poor areas with very few cars not by rail

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

LonsomeSon posted:

idk if I’m missing the joke but in the US there’s a whole sub-specialty among doctors called Sports Medicine, sort of an intersection of Internal Medicine and Orthopedics, and there are various tiers of practices which service professional athletes of whichever celebrity tier anywhere there are professional sports teams, at variously inflated rates

e: which is to say, unless an internist is absolute garbage (always a possibility especially with doctors) they ought to be able to print you out several pages of medical advice in the category of “so you’ve got a stress injury but want to get back up to your precious athletic performance” to take home with you, with a few seconds of work on a computer.

I knew a bunch of gymnasts who kept doing drills in their 30s and were shredding knees. Their doctors/therapists were always like : here's an idea , don't do two flips and a spin and try to land on the ground

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just took a leisurely walk around my chicago neighborhood. Counted 5000 cars, zero trains.

look up

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dolphin posted:

people always complaining about drunk drivers. motherfucker guess what would happen if there weren't any cars around

they'd just be drunk that's what

I agree, duis shouldn't be a crime just like biking under the influence shouldn't be a crime (Illinois is correct on this in not making it one)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
my town has a suburban outdoor mall that is constantly packed and thriving and generates crazy amounts of revenue through taxes. as far as i can tell it's a unicorn

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The outdoor style is popular right now. I wonder if it will be dead in 15 years though when it's no longer nice and new? That's what indoor malls were at one point.

its been there since 1956!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
crosswalks without stop lights/signs shouldnt exist especially on multi lane roads

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mystes posted:

yeah okay i don't know, what even is a generator

Magnets

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Xaris posted:

how do i use a phone and manual at the same time though

Steer with your knee when not using that leg on the clutch

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

it really sucks that more and more car controls are handled with a touchscreen instead of something more tactile. It increases driver distraction that way!

i rented a tesla for an out of town trip and it was the greatest rental i've ever made because
1) the range and charging were absolutely awful experiences and
2) all the hardware/software poo poo was also awful. the touchscreen would even display a little camera picture of what was in your blind spot if you put on your turn signal, but to look at it you had to look just above your knee. insane that it's allowed on the road

my favorite stupid thing it did was see speed limit signs listed for trucks only and display them on the touchscreen as the correct speed limit. just pure incompetence by the programmers

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

All bike lanes need to be narrower than standard cars or else people will drive in them more than they would otherwise

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Horace posted:

i read that people were stealing Kias “with just a USB cable”. so I thought that someone had hacked together like an arduino that bypasses the ecu or something. No, turns out if you smash the ignition barrel out of the steering column it exposes a hole the shape of a USB plug, meaning you can start the car using the cable as a key.

this works in the US because immobilisers aren’t mandated so kia don’t fit them as standard.

Lol wow. It's like the kryptonite bike locks being opened with bic pens in 05

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the amount of people I see that hold their phones against their steering wheels so they can continue being on the phone while driving unnerves me

Would you prefer if we held it up in the air instead of braced against something we can kind of steer with?

Nothing wrong with knee steering it's just not as efficient as elbow steering

And driving is so boring the options are often either drive distracted or drive drowsy/snoozing

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

somebody's gonna come in here and start with some "no ethical driving under capitalism" bullshit and I won't have it

Too late

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Zipper merges are great. You go all the way to the end of the merge lane and then jam yourself in between two stopped cars with the threat of hitting them. The only real question is why the merge lane is more than 1 car length long

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lobster shirt posted:

its good to leave proper following distance imo. if someon gets into that space i just slow down a little bit until proper spacing is re-established. not that hard.

*slows down to a complete stop as an infinite amount of aggressive drivers merge in front of you*

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

In Toronto in 2018, an incel rented a van and drove it onto the sidewalk, killing 11 people. Last year he was sentenced to life in prison, possibility of parole after 25 years.

Two years ago in London, Ontario (about two hours west of Toronto), a guy drove his truck into a family of four (two 75-year-old women, a 46-year-old man and a 15-year-old girl), killing all of them, because they were Muslim. I think his trial is going on right now.

There's a ton more than that. The Nice guy killed 69 people. But that was with a gun in Norway;

the van driver in Nice, France killed 84

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mister Speaker posted:

I was just talking local examples since BonHair already mentioned some European ones. I know it happens all the time.

I just wanted to make a 69 joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real hurthling! posted:

lol yeah leave something that goes on your head at the mercy of passers by

I've had my bike hosed with a bunch, seat unbolted and stolen and all that , but no one has ever touched my helmet I hang off the lock.