Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xaris posted:

cars are good and helps marginalized bipoc elderly, dementia patients, and disabled people get around safely. not everyone can figure out a bus timeschedule and its pretty ableist to hate cars

The answer to this is a dial-a-ride system, not "everyone needs cars"

Also what does being bipoc have to do with mobility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Kicked Throat posted:

How about we install a front facing camera with a projector on the roof beaming the precious images of mangled toddlers everyone is so desperate to see onto the hood? Maybe the camera will have captured the lovely parenting(or lack thereof) that led to the child being in the road in the first place.

How about you go play in traffic?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Sphyre posted:

i dunno. i've seen people arguing that we shouldn't bother with investing in public transit/cycling/mode shift away from cars because soon we'll all be summoning self driving teslas whenever we need to go somewhere. it's one of the more infuriating variants of musk brain because putting aside the fact that a world with self driving cars would still have all the same issues as our current car dependent world, self driving cars don't exist! and they won't ever exist! it's loving vaporware!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Car brain is so powerful and so prevalent that I wonder if there is actually more to it than just the societal/psychological components.

"New car smell" is VOCs from offgassing of car components. When I had a 20 year old used car, it still kept accumulating a white residue on the inside of the windshield over time, and when I looked that up, was apparently caused by offgassing and "normal". There's a lot of plastics, a lot of resins, a lot of adhesives, paint, gasoline and diesel fumes themselves, refrigerant agents, CO2 and other poo poo. You know car companies skim every cent and don't think twice about using toxic poo poo.

I really would be surprised all of Western society hotboxing all that for 2+ hours every day of their lives didn't have some kind of neurologically degenerative effects.

I think the most consistently angry I've ever been in my life was a summer internship where I had to car commute (every job since I've been able to bike, transit or WFH).

Rarely the drive too work, but driving home in a hot car that had spent the last 8 hours baking in the sun mad me madder than hell.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

is there any chance that ukraine / russia stuff will cause US gas prices to rise? 🙏

I heard that the nord 2 pipeline might make european gas prices go crazy but it's hard to tell if that extends to the US

I can't even imagine the tantrum americans will throw if gas ever breaks $5/gallon 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

I don't think so, or at least not directly. My understanding is the pipeline stuff is all about natural gas for heat purposes, not petrol.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

leftist heap posted:

gentrification is the new frontier of anti-ped/anti-cyclist carbrain activists latching onto legitimate issues and completely loving muddying the water to get what they want. just like how they will tell you that removing any parking whatsoever hurts accessibility or how cyclists are actually all privileged. it sucks.

yeah, it's the same logic as saying "well of course we can't close the carcinogenic refinery in this part of town, it would spike property values and gentrify the last affordable neighborhood in the city."

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

actionjackson posted:

I don't know if there's a name for it, but when a street curves to the right or left 90 degrees - it's right by my place and I hate using it because cars just fly around that thing as you can't see who is coming, and there's no stop sign. a speed bump on both sides would be nice, or at least don't have parking in the immediate vicinity

I'd probably call it a blind corner

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Clark Nova posted:

fault will fall on the pedestrian, the cyclist, or whoever had the cheaper self-driving car

Operating in an autonomous roadway without a licensed autonomous vehicle is a felony and anyone caught doing so assumes all liability as such.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Twitter replies point out there is both a Lowe's and Home Depot within 2 miles.

But yeah it's probably the loss of 4 parking spots out front.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/M_WrenchGang/status/1512028800091054081?s=20&t=Wpi8eAcimixSVa0RA-Pj6A

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Peanut President posted:

Also is chicago some biker rider got got killed by a drunk driver on Madison after the city tore out the planters along it because they cost too much money to maintain.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/2022/4/21/23035374/paresh-chhatrala-west-loop-crash-courtney-bertucci

edit: my mistake they were removed to improve traffic flow lmao

edit2:

"I don't think anyone is to blame, I think this was an accident" said the Alderman who's decision killed someone.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

lol nice minivan

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Enjoyable cities.

Edit: Livable cities?

Thriving Cities

edit: some actual content for thread

Denver's Department of Climate Action, Sustainability & Resiliency (man what a loving mouthful) launched a straight-up $400 cash rebate for any resident buying an e-bike in the city. Plus more for those with low income or for cargo bikes.

https://www.denvergov.org/Governmen...Bikes#section-2

https://coloradosun.com/2022/05/13/denver-e-bike-rebates-popular-climate-change/

It blew through it's budget in like 19 days (too soon for me to get around to actually using it) but it got me thinking and my wife & I are gonna sell our second car and get some e-bikes!

Greatbacon has issued a correction as of 00:39 on May 21, 2022

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Brawnfire posted:

150,000 bats ON A BUS

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

withak posted:

Driver operates vehicle, vehicle strikes pedestrian, pedestrian becomes injured. Clearly no one is at fault.

How about a compromise, any vehicle involved in a pedestrian fatality should be compromised to a permanent end in a car compactor.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Imagine the damage that thing is doing to that brick road

literally should be illegal

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
:sickos:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's a good idk, composition? Like the layout and stuff

Ya that's the right word

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

the replies to this tweet are incredible
• "jobs don't exist overseas"
• "you can't fit 2 children in a car"
• "potholes and snow"
• "i want to go camping"

https://twitter.com/PaperPoverty/status/1541334854859628544

Also love the subtle implication that the majority of Americans don't live in the costal cities

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

lobster shirt posted:

we gotta get rid of cars

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

America is a perfect synthesis of cop brain and car brain

ACAB

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I remember reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods in college & this particular section hit me upside the head and made me really think about this country's relationship with cars for the first time in my life

American Gods posted:

“There were car gods there: a powerful, serious-faced contingent, with blood on their black gloves and on their chrome teeth: recipients of human sacrifice on a scale undreamed-of since the Aztecs.

anyway, ban all cars

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I imagine that happens everywhere with single family housing and street parking

I lived in a denser part of my city for years, street parked for half of them, and never once thought twice about it.

Last summer we moved to a less dense, single family home part of the city & it shocked me the first time I looked out the window and thought "who the gently caress parked in front of my house.

The antisocial & possessive psychopathy of this country is rooted very deep indeed.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I get the impression that most cities can't fund free transit right now, so I'm fine with paying. Just make it easy. We've had free buses here for a couple of years, but the city's debating reinstating fares because they can't afford more frequent service without it.

Yeah, we had free transit for a month as a pilot program this month (cool, yay!) but the network was struggling operationally even before covid since operators were underpaid, understaffed & most bus lines have like, 30 min headways at best (boo, poo poo).

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Suburbanites are so committed to their lifestyle that they'll not only shoot down commuter rail in their own communities but also transit/zoning reform in the city itself. My hope is that if you fix the city itself, it'll be such a disincentive for suburban commuters that they might have to reconsider their lifestyle. It's only possible in the first place because cities cater to it.

Yeah, urban cores need to become actively hostile towards autos from the suburbs.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I think this is because for most Americans they literally can't imagine none car dependent urban design, it's like how fish don't notice water

I had a conversation with a colleague at work once about driving vs taking the bus and in the process he revealed he hadn't even thought of the buses/public transit as something political.

Like winter follows autumn and buses are worse than cars, just a fact of nature.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think any driver that kills a non-driver and receives no charges should face justice at the hands of a mob.

If we're going to change car culture we need people to literally be afraid for their future when getting behind the wheel.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
An elderly person at the wheel killing the youth is a delightfully morbid metaphor for the US

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

bike tory posted:

I have found these anti-car propaganda memes very sustaining today, enjoy:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

lol, coward locked her replies

talk poo poo, git hit (by a life saving bollard)

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

it's a little silly to call this sentence the absolute paragon of windshield perspective because the entire article is a huge masturbatory ode to windshield perspective, but still, god drat. imagine being so cucked by your car that you can't imagine knowing your own neighborhood without it.

And the claim that it's the path to "mastering" one's neighborhood is some real shadows on the cave wall poo poo.

Like you will never meet your neighbors driving everywhere, you'll never find magical little foot paths or shortcuts, you'll never stop to appreciate someone's garden or little pieces of art on the light posts.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
My last job, on nice days and/or if I'd grabbed a couple of beers after work & didn't feel like waiting for a bus that only came every 20 minutes I'd walk the 2.5 miles home. It took like 45mins - 1 hour.

The more you do it, the easier it gets because your brain lets you tune out longer/safer/less complicated stretches.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Car -> Cart seems less jarring than Car -> Bike & could be a nice way to get folks with carbrain to see their interests align with us sicko-coastal-elitists that want to ride (e)bikes everywhere.

"Hey, if you invest in this infrastructure in your neighborhood, you could ride an electric golf cart in it and avoid traffic!"

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

BonHair posted:

Our friends the bollards have a new partner: the bus ditch. Basically you need to be bus width or two wheels to pass. It went up shortly before Christmas and has claimed 20 cars already.

Article in Danish, heavy pro car perspective: https://www.tv2nord.dk/aalborg/henriettes-bil-blev-totalskadet-i-bussluse-det-er-helt-ude-af-proportioner

:sickos:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

They also trend towards keeping loaded firearms within easy reach in their vehicle!

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

mawarannahr posted:

nowhere does the line between pedestrian and car blur. this can happen with bikes

nor has anyone in my city been hospitalized by a pedestrian running into another one in the last few weeks, whereas a cyclist has hit a pedestrian and caused this.

just be careful around pedestrians

should focus your energy and hate on getting cars banned instead of tut tutting cyclists

if there's no cars, we can ride in the street and away from you

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
You know on second glance, these two things pretty much are the same sort of menance to public safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
bicyclists do not have car brain by virture of not being in a car, it's a pretty simple concept