Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Clark Nova posted:

once we have self-driving cars with automated repair facilities the economy will not require humans to exist at all!

we'd still need to make autonomous e-bikes so that they can get run down by the self-driving cars and we also need a robocop to console the AI motorist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

yes

there was a guy on Youtube showing off that you couldn't see a Corvette directly in front of his Carolina Squat truck, psycho poo poo

combination of lifted truck and lack of object permanence from the literal baby in the driver seat

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

people complain constantly that the traffic lights in my city are so poorly timed that you pretty much stop at a red light every block regardless of what direction you're going which means that driving speed is generally pretty slow. People are somewhat used to seeing bicycles now, so it feels like it's gotten a bit safer. However, this leads to the worst drivers on the planet running reds and speeding to beat that next red of course. Zero traffic enforcement of course.

My favorite stop light activity when it would be unsafe to run it on my bicycle is to look over at the driver at my light and it's about 50-50 whether that person's chin is touching their chest as they stare into their smartphone. I timed one guy who sat there at a green for a full 30 seconds before he finally drove through the yellow.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Greg12 posted:

bro I can't even fit my bicycle in the bed of my truck with the gate closed

I can fit my bicycle in the back of a fiat 500 :)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

You can cycle out of the Brussels Airport if you brought a bike with you! The only downside is that you'd then be in Brussels

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Brussels has that really cool glass atrium by the mannequin piss and grand place where you can get a bunch of great chocolate and beer. i forgot the name but it was cool

I'm just giving those Belgians a hard time. Last time I was there I had some good beer, some ok moules frites and some really good Senegalese food, plus we just walked everywhere and it was really pleasant.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

rode from D.C. to Harpers Ferry on Saturday on the C&O canal trail which was wonderful and car free the entire time. In Harpers Ferry was riding on a two lane road to go grab some beer from the 7 eleven and got honked at by a car going the opposite direction because why????

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Does anyone have that interview with one of the car talk hosts where he talks about how he loves riding bicycles? I'm pretty sure I'm not making this up

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Third World Reagan posted:

I have been staring at this bike for like 3 years still debating if I should get it.

Mainly since I am in a car centric city, it would be unsafe as hell to ride.

https://www.amsterdam-bicycle.com/shop/bicycles/azor-texel-gents-dutch-bike-for-heavy-riders/

that's so expensive for what amounts to a heavy rear end bike. They also sell a "lightweight" bike on their website at just under 34 lbs.

A while ago I bought a '70s bottom of the line heavy rear end steel bike for $70 and that thing is bulletproof. just carried a 60 lb bag of mortar mix back home from the hardware store today.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah do what you want, I'm just cheap as hell for some things

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Third World Reagan posted:

I don't see a weight on it

It is steel sure, but it just means to get the same strength they use less.

Few manufacturers will give you a weight for their bikes online because there's different sizes and variations between individual pieces I guess, but when you're touting a lightweight bike as 34lbs you're joking a little bit.

Not to poo poo on the Dutch, but as someone referenced up thread, they live in an impossibly flat country where the biggest elevation you're going to struggle with is those little stone bridges over the canals that go up a meter in height at the crest. For the rest of us that live with hills and traffic, a ~50lb bike isn't ideal, and I personally would not pay $1500 for what is the equivalent of a performance beach cruiser, when you could find something with similar geometry and less weight for much cheaper and probably more of a gear range.

I ride in a mildly hilly east coast US city with hostile/oblivious/texting/drunk drivers and some biking infrastructure, but a lot of shared car/bike roads, and I don't mind riding on my 50 year old clunker that's easily 30lbs, but I also ride my bike every day and do 60-80 mile days for bike packing trips. Something more adapted for the limited details I remember you mentioning would be a lighter hybrid, which you could very easily find in that price range. Again though, if that's the bike that gets you biking and you feel safe and comfortable, it's all up to you and you'll get some serious muscles pedaling that thing.

Edit: check out the biking or commuting threads and people can give you recommendations if you're interested. They're all really friendly over there

Mauser has issued a correction as of 02:09 on Jun 4, 2023

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

There's something particularly abhorrent to me about the walkway from the door terminating at the driveway

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

"Insidious" is the word you're looking for

yeah that's a good one

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

needing to drive a car every single time you have to go do something because you're 30 minutes from the closest anything is not a medium place

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I'm saying driving a car is hell

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Nearly got run into on my ride back from work. Large intersection of two one-way streets with me traveling up the protected bike lane against traffic. Nearly across the five lanes of the intersected street when the turning car in front of me finally decides to move, turning and driving directly at me. I can see the full windshield dead on and it's completely tinted black to the point where it's impossible to even see an outline of a person inside from 3 feet away when the driver finally stopped. Would've been a pretty low speed crash. No idea what that person was doing or what their reaction was to nearly running into me.

It's so often safer to run red lights than to cross at a green

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

That sort of thing used to be illegal but I strongly suspect that the only people who got popped for it were dark themselves.

I can understand if it's kind of a defensive thing to not let people know you're driving while black. Still very disconcerting to look at an opaque box coming towards you and not have any idea how to react because I can't see a human anywhere in there.

Had a car pull into the bike lane to park a little up the road from that incident and just didn't have any politely asking or yelling left in me. Luckily a lady cyclist came screaming down the other way, like literally screaming her head off, at the driver in the parked car and I gave her a little cheer.

Drivers can eat my sweaty rear end, but I'm more angry at the people who designed these places

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

One of my coworkers asked about getting a bike off craigslist or Facebook marketplace place and I'm going to send him that explanation. I had already recommended the going to a bike shop and talking, trying stuff out, getting the right size even if he walks out without buying, but the rest of that info is great

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I use front brake almost exclusively on hard surfaces and rear brake more on loose terrain. I gotta try out using both at the same time and compare to front only. Pretty sure when I've had to panic emergency brake I end up grabbing em both because I remember the last time I did it for real the rear started skidding a bit

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

If parking is such a concern in their city, I would suggest they start demolishing homes. Not only can you drive out residents with this approach which translates directly into lower demand for existing parking, but you can take those unused lots and turn them into more parking!

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

By swipes at you do you mean they were swerving at you intentionally? What the gently caress

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've had folks yell at me and try to murder me through negligence, but I don't think I've had anyone do it with malice that I'm aware of. I know it happens, but it makes me sick hearing it

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

I'm very jealous of people who've never experienced car drivers attempting to do violence towards them.

How can they attempt to do violence against me when they don't know I'm there?

Bushiz posted:

Back in texas there was a gun range I would go to about ten miles from me and sometimes I'd bike it, and there was never a time where drivers were more polite than when I had an AR slung across my back.

Good lord, I would like to see that.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

There's plenty of times and roads where you could speed if you like inside NYC that aren't gridlocked. It's not just lower Manhattan, you got at least 2 other boroughs

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Man I don't think the death penalty should exist, but I might waver in this belief if it were exclusively used on cops

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Baltimore has giant scars across it meant to divide. Our governor cancelled the light rail expansion that would connect east and west and funneled that money to rural highways. I know why we elected a republican and I loving hate liberals

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Why is water rolling off the smaller lower umbrella if the bigger one is there to protect the lower ones

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Aright, you sad sacks of poo poo I'm here to bring a ray of sunshine to this thread.

I biked down to the ocean this weekend towing a drat boat I built and then launched it and sailed off into the sunset. Because sure, you can go boating without a car.

That's so cool

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

If gas were more expensive in the US like it is everywhere else we would probably have led the world in electric civilian-owned tanks

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

^^ hell yeah

Lent a bike I had on hand to a visiting coworker and she rode it all over town and said it was a great way to visit!

I'm volunteering at the local coop whenever they hold the next orientation and should be fun trying to help people out getting their bikes working.

Bikes rule. Had to go pick the lent out bike up by car because I missed my bus due to the bus locater showing the bus 5 minutes to the stop when it had already gone by. Got honked at while driving by someone who sped up behind me as I was trying to parallel park and I just couldn't get to the parking spot anymore. Went around the corner and parked and the person yelled something unintelligible out the window. Driving blows, but I'm already pretty numb to driver aggression from riding bikes in the city that that a childish tantrum from a driver is not going to phase me

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Yeah no way am I yelling at runners in the bike lanes or people using their wheel chairs in the bike lane. Use that space! That person was just rude. Pedestrians stepping into the bike lane directly in front of me without looking get a bell ring or two if I have enough time or else they get to hear me come to a skidding halt with hopefully some distance remaining between me and them.

Some fucker parked his car washing van in the bike lane and got offended when I yelled at him to look out as he tried to step into the tiny remaining passing space

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Install blades overhead and speed bumps below

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I wouldn't mind being able to get someone at the post office to answer the phone, but I assume they're always understaffed by design

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

3 car accident just outside my house on a 30mph road. First car was slowing down to turn left, another car behind it was also slowing down, 3rd car rammed full loving speed ahead. didn't even slow. I was outside when it happened.

love how great drivers are.

This is the 2nd time already that exact situation has happened --- just this year. I only heard the previous one and confirmed later from seeing the ambulances.

Really cool to have 4 lane roads in residential areas with lots of turn offs into neighborhoods. Its almost like it should be made into a 3 lane with a center turn lane and bike lanes banking it.

I live half a block from a two lane one way road that feeds into the little raised central highway and I frequently hear the sound of screeching tires and occasionally the sound of an impact. It's pretty straight and the combination of zero traffic enforcement and mistimed lights make drivers crazy speeders and red light runners. It sucks so much living near traffic and just knowing that people are determined to kill themselves and others right outside my door is depressing.

On the plus side, folks are pretty used to seeing bicycles on my street and are generally pretty patient with passing until you get farther downtown.

Anyway, I empathize and it sucks

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

i hope their tesla explodes

I'm picturing a pickup because they're thinking the car wouldn't suffer much damage from murdering someone. I'm not sure what I would do in that situation, but I would definitely try to figure out where they parked and slash their tires if I wasn't the mayor

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

corona familiar posted:

it's emeryville. definitely a tesla or a giant luxury SUV

I honestly don't know anything about California so I'm gonna go with your answer

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Bike lane goes through a crosswalk of a busy road since there's no road on the north side of this t intersection, went through on my bike and someone took the bus lane to skip the line of cars and blew through the red light without slowing down right as I passed by.

Execute a police officer and use their salary to install those retractable bollards in the bus lanes please :pray:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I've been walking or biking to work and school since 2015 and it's been fantastic despite living in a city most people associate with murders and drugs.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

That doesnt narrow things down very much since conservatives have labeled every city that.

yeah exactly. I'm just saying I live in a "scary" urban environment and it's infinitely better than a living in a suburb that forces you to drive to do literally anything.

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

I started commuting to work pretty much exclusively by bike in 2012 because I had no money and realized that Metro fare was adding up to literally dozens of dollars every month, which seemed like a big deal at the time. But the thing that quickly became apparent to me even in a deeply half-assed biking city is that the bike is one of the ideal ways to get around an urban area.

I am pretty jealous of the bike infrastructure in D.C., though it's not perfect. You can turn down a lot of streets and find some kind of bike infrastructure like a bike gutter or a sharrow without trying to plan your route ahead of time. Plus you could hop on your bike and head out to a couple trailheads like the C&O or the W&OD if you want to do multiple hours/days of trail riding. My dream would be to live somewhere where I could take some combination of train and bike to get anywhere I wanted in the region or beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Well, I got fed up because I've seen people running this stop sign that crosses the major central bike lane and my wife and I have both nearly been hit and I submitted a traffic calming request through 311 online asking for speed bumps and narrowing of the street. They have a 3 month timeline for responding and investigating these requests, so I'm curious to see how this goes. My previous one on a different section I don't have an update on yet. Cars make people stupid and violent. It took a lot of technological advancements to get here, but we've created Hobbes's state of nature