Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FistEnergy posted:

My thread....my big, beautiful, healthy thread

:cry:

spoiler. it was never healthy.

Covid delta baby all the way.

also, we still flattening a curve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

Gorilla Note: I've been in contact with some goons that have job postings at their companies and am working on a new thread for this kind of stuff. please accept this as one of the last times you'll see this post

:siren::siren::siren:WORK FROM HOME OPPORTUNITY:siren::siren::siren:

are YOU a goon who is dreading to have to go back to a lovely office during a loving pandemic?
do YOU or someone you know have a knot in their stomach because their psycho boss wants them back in the office and see their smile?
are YOU able to have an internet connection for 40 hours a week and able to read, talk, and not be a total shithead on the phone?
do YOU live in Ohio, Delaware, Utah, Arizona, or Illinois?

GOOD NEWS! WE'RE HIRING!
hi, my name is business gorillas and i want to do BUSINESS! my company is currently hiring for phone jockeys in a couple different departments. it's a basic customer service gig that pays $16.00/hr starting plus a signing bonus of up to $2,000 with full benefits, including education assistance. i'm not going to lie, the job is dull and unrewarding, but WHO CARES? i bet your current job is too!

if not wanting to die because your small business tyrant work-landlord keeps masks optional is right for you, send me a dm so we can talk!!!

worried about your resume? no problem! so long as you aren't a complete fuckup, i'll help you with your resume! even if you might be a complete fuckup, i'll still look at your resume and tell you to GET OUT OF MY FACE!!!!!

WE LOSE ENOUGH OF OUR LIVES TO OUR WORK, GOON. THERE'S NO REASON TO LOSE YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF IT.

inquire within! my dm's are open!

will you let us know when this company comes to other states though?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mola Yam posted:

they say being drunk just amplifies who you are when you're sober

i have a drink and i feel fine about dying. what a gift! i wish death on everyone as a kindness!

I become way more crude and flirty and fun when I drink. or so I’ve been told.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

what’s the fatality rate for vaccine less kids ages 1-12? with delta I mean. trying to explain to family just how many kids would probably die in California if the mask mandates went away.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Palladium posted:

Yeah because everyone isn't already drowning in clothes

I just had a birthday and bought a bunch of clothes.

it was all new lounge wear because I know I’m not leaving the house for another year.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Where'd you grab it? I'm after some nightgowns with pockets because gently caress it, I can go that low here on the farm.

that is awful acting

do they wanna slap their wrist while they're at it

outdoor outlets fully masked in LA. Gap and banana republic had the best feeling poo poo this season. went right at opening, not very crowded, and honestly shocked at how good masked compliance was. Occasionally a small kid running around without one, but most adults was wearing one basically proper, and I even saw some solid in 95s out there too. Coincidentally, everybody I saw wearing an N 95 was a minority. The more overweight and white they were the less likely they were to wear one properly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

get your unemployment denied because it is contested and the UI office is told you had the opportunity to work and turned it down

seriously I had friends who lost out on this last month of unemployment because Oregon started the go look for a job thing again for August instead of letting people just get the last month like they were supposed to. annoying.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

redreader posted:

I went to Colorado from California this weekend and it's night and day. In Santa Clara county, almost everyone wears a mask. In Denver, nobody loving cares. Hotel staff are not wearing masks, nobody downtown is wearing one, the people I met (mostly outside, while I wore my n95 lol), etc etc. I think starbucks staff had masks on but that's it. I asked why and one friend said 'well it was bad but it's been good recently so we don't need masks any more'. I was like, check again dude. He got on google and was quite amazed. Just a top of my head calculation, I think Denver is doing a bit worse (half the new cases with about 1/3rd the population) than SCC is doing. I couldn't get over the snacks in the plane and everyone accepting and eating/drinking. I think most people just think this is not a problem any more and it's all over, and if you've got a vaccine it's not a big deal. I might even be being generous about the 'if you've got a vaccine', I bet they just think it's fine.

I feel like a bit of a nerd in SCC with an n95 but in Denver I felt like a complete turbo-nerd. Maybe the healthiest (?) state in the USA is just covid-proof.

I just canceled going to a dance festival in Denver that is still on for Labor Day weekend. 300 people from all over the country, basically hugging each other in a hotel dancing with each other with no masks on.

they require a vaccine card but lol. super spreader event here they come.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

Why didn't Antifa and BLM ever rush the police?

US cops would have mowed them down.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Tzen posted:

children will be dying in hospital hallways, parents cars, or in their homes in a months time

amazed no vaccinated parents or cracked doctors haven’t gone in and started “helping along” the unvaccinated chuds clogging up beds.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

it'll be a murder - suicide from a father of a dead kid IMHO

if they shoot a bunch of the anti mask anti vax types is that a hero or a villain?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/nicunurselifee/status/1430409109577273347?s=20

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

we easily have more than a couple dozen goon marriages destroyed in the past 18 months

I was in a new relationship at the start and it ended because she went full broke brain you can’t inconvenience me. we are still friends though because she takes the Covid part seriously.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Louisgod posted:

poo poo man you don't even need to be together to argue about a vaccine, I told my ex-wife our kids absolutely need to get vaccinated when it's available to them and of course I get the "I need to see more data and make sure it's safe before I commit to anything" and of course she's not vaccinated and I can't just get my kids vaccinated without her consent as well. pisses me off so much and if it comes down to it I'll gladly take legal action against her to make loving sure my kids are protected.

you can’t just lie and get the kids vaccinated? or lie about parent consent? if I’m a parent I’m faking the signature if the partner isn’t going along with it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Zisky posted:

Lmao what's gonna happen when the federal unemployment benefit ends?

they basically already have. Even the friends I know who have been clever about it couldn’t get August because Oregon started requiring you to apply for poo poo jobs again and they refused.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lenin Stimpy posted:

Sinovac/CoronaVac doesn't seem to be holding up very well against Delta:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1431028624342142980
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1430532842212053001

I'm really jealous that the Chinese government is doing nearly everything in their power to protect their population, but I'm not envious in a negative way. None of us deserves this hell that we are living in, and I wish the US had the same sort of will to protect its people from harm, no matter the cost to industry.

The current Chinese strategy seems to be almost necessary with the relatively poor performance of the CoronaVac vaccine against hospitalizations. Unfortunately, a lot of other countries outside of China also rely on CoronaVac, but they aren't adopting the same strategy.

I sincerely hope these vaccine effectiveness numbers are wrong. But this situation presents a strong case for the US (and other countries with powerful vaccines vs delta) to force its companies to publish all of their vaccine IP and manufacturing processes. We need powerful vaccines vs delta in the hands of as many people as possible in the world, and relying on just a few producers for the best vaccines is harming all of us.

sir, that’s all reasonable and logical adult choices, and the people running all of this are not going to do that.

this is a Wendy’s to them.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

its pretty difficult to maintain relationships especially when people are consumers who think they're capitalists and are dictated by such a force in society that myriads of problems can crop up such as

which is why finance is one of the biggest drivers of divorce

like there's too many artifices for the relationship to navigate in this zoo people society, not saying that it's 100% the whole case but it is a rarity to find genuine company that isn't driven by motives that are dictated by capitalism and the meritocracy myth, especially with the nuclear family model push in a post-WWII society for "stability" and now there's no stability so woops!~

yeah. I’m pretty lonely since this is the longest period since I started dating that I can’t… (Covid) but at the same time, thank god I am. most of the couples I know are together out of habit or forced circumstances versus “love”.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Schmeichy posted:

There's a documentary of the making of it that is full of animators and writers near tears with frustration and stress

here’s an open secret about frozen one. nobody, and I mean nobody at the studio or in the biz thought it was a good movie or worked.

but let it go. a loving song saved it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

This thread is getting worse than the climate change thread lmao, God drat. It's going to be a rough winter.

nah. both threads are great and make me laugh a lot. I know winter will suck, so video game backlog, a weight loss goal and a ton of work to build my business here I come. spring will be here before we know it, and another million or so dead.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm not using "worse" as in quality, I love both threads. I'm talking about mood. It's getting loving bleak in here, even the climate change thread regulars might tell you guys to lighten up.

oh for sure. hence video game backlog and work and a physical goal. I figure if I get lucky maybe the next time there’s a safe time like maybe in the spring or some thing I can finally socialize again for a month before we go back into lock down.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I think I’m going to take the rest of the thread off till say Sunday And check back in. i’m traveling from LA to southern Oregon tomorrow where I live, (and I’m aware the smoke sucks). and once I’m back I’m sheltering in place for the appropriate amount of time before I take Covid tests just to be on the safe side. Aside from one run to the grocery store to stock up on Wednesday, I won’t need to go anywhere and I have a good mask to wear when I do. otherwise I can be boring and just get back to work from home. I figure if I don’t check in till Sunday the numbers will change and it gives me a little break about thinking about everything else.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I said I’d take a break but I’ll just add, there’s a lot of folks (the evil anti vaxxing nazis) that people post in this thread that I would want to see get hurt, and then I remember that COVID will do it for me if I just stay inside. and that’s great I guess.

I just wish they wouldn’t hurt innocent people and kids in the process.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

just had a conversation with one of my oldest friends I’m probably no longer friends with (or it will just fade away).

he has a prior heart condition, but is fully vaxxed. we haven’t talked in probably two months and while we had plans this summer to hang out with one other friend he bailed on them last second because he was too busy writing his first novel. I asked him about COVID protocols and he’s like (of course I’m wearing a mask it’s a state mandate.) I asked about his weekly basketball games and he replied “oh yeah, just played last night 7 on 7 outside no masks it was great broke some ankles”.

If I bring up anything about the world he’s clearly not interested. “The summers been great and the vibes are good.”

i just… sure. don’t want to be a mood killer.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

double negative posted:

what kind of monsters play 7 on 7 basketball

poo poo I meant 4 on 4

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

this is from today.

enter the sandman was so two days ago.

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1434227610393972737?s=20

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm a barfly by nature

This entire pandemic has been pretty fuckin' easy for me to handle because I realized that if I gently caress up and die I can't go back to the poo poo I used to love. It goes away forever. A person I worked with put it best, "this is a moment in time, the stuff you love will be there in the future if you do the right things now."

People who suicide over the need to hit Red Lobster right now aren't extroverts, they're just nihilists.

same. my social dances too, and martial arts. and I’m just holding out and waiting. the next three months is me losing weight/ and just focusing on my business.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 5, 2021

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

Same here. I like drinking with friends and strangers, I like traveling, I like live music, I’m the most bored I’ve ever been in my life. That’s fine though, because not only am I keeping myself alive and being one less piece of connective tissue in this stupid thing, but I also know that the things I love don’t actually exist in the way that I love them right now.

You know who’s at the bar right now? The kind of people who would go to the bar right now. Those aren’t my people, I don’t want to hang out with them, we have nothing in common. I can’t deal with a conversation about how nice it is to be back to normal, or what we did during the pandemic, and I for drat sure don’t want to show my face and announce to a bunch of old friends that I have joined them in giving up, even if they would be very happy to see me do it.

Same deal with everything else. I don’t want to go make friends in a hostel, I don’t want to be the guy who went to Mexico at this point in history, I don’t want to know that I was at the show where everybody got sick. I won’t do it, I’m not going to do a shittier version of a cool thing just to feel like the world is okay again, it’s a dangerous lie and I won’t tell it to myself or anyone else.

This whole thing has asked us what we are each really made of. Are you good in an emergency? Can you turn off your desires long enough to make a decision that impacts others correctly? Are you a sentient enough dude to not blithely gently caress around and get your elderly neighbor killed because you got bored and the world got scary? Are you even put together well enough to realize that you’re taking a test? This is a very clear opportunity to decide what kind of person you want to have been when the chips were down. I don’t want to hang out with the people who didn’t even realize there was a moral decision to be made here, or worse, the ones who did realize it and decided it wasn’t important to make the right decision.

a great post and exactly how I feel.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/mangiotto/status/1434380682218909696?s=21

seems cool.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/getthebagcoach/status/1433879486924271618?s=21

skit or just hell? you decide.

lmao.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

turns out the football games are good actually and we’re all just grumps.

https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1434519956180414468?s=20

lol lmao

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DarkEuphoria posted:

Covid thread you are a nightmare but also a respite in this crazy world.

I was just thinking to myself, man this poo poo loving sucks, I’m tired of being isolated and everyone else has accepted Covid into their hearts, maybe I should just give up and start rubbing myself on the plagued masses.

Obviously that meant it was time to check into the thread (lol), and at first it was just confirming how hosed everything is, but then I was reading the last few pages and y’all are talking about the inherent value of the individual and I remembered that I’m not the only one having this problem, that other reasonable people exist and are able to put aside short term individual gain for a better outcome.

Anyway, covid winter #2 is going to suck.

I refuse to let it suck. i’ve got a backlog of books and video games and tv shows. I’m going to get in the best shape of my life. I’m gonna come out in the spring being a bad rear end. I’m gonna focus on my job which I control, and make more money than I’ve ever made before. That’s what I’m gonna do in this isolation.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Ice Phisherman posted:

Any suggestions for games for the pandemic?

ghost of Tsushima is fantastic and the directors cut just came out (I got three hours in and stopped for the special addition, starting that this week). I’ve also got horizon zero dawn, god of war and skyward sword to play on my switch…

and I’ve never beaten Skyrim or fallout 4. and I own both so I’m pretty stoked.

I just beat both sub Nautica. those are super fun base building games.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fun fact. I did not get COVID from that, nor the Dodgers game I went to that trip either. When I returned home last week I isolated and took two COVID tests (three days after I returned home, and then 5 days after. As well as my temp twice daily. I felt fine the entire time.) both negative. Wearing good masks properly and being vaccinated in fact really does help.

It’s weird that I know that this thread has stricter standards than our government, and I know this thread is right. I’m still glad I was in LA for six weeks though. On top of getting paid, I got to see the beach for the first time in over a year, and doing a few Disneyland rides was super fun. I did everything right for the 14 months prior. That mental break and seeing family that was vaccinated was super good for my mental health. I feel stronger and ready for the winter because of it. I’m also perfectly aware that I basically played a version of Russian roulette and just happened to win.

I only did both of those things because of family social conflicts. I took a risk. In hindsight I probably would not do it again. That being said, other than once a week when I get groceries, I’ve locked in for the long-haul and happy to be safe.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

anime was right posted:

the recall is pretty incoherent because i dont think most of california understands that the person who gets the most votes, no matter how stupid that person is, and that person cannot be newsom (so dems are not messaging a backup) so its likely some moron wins but the consequences arent communicated to anyone clearly.

most people seem to think "newsom bad, i guess" or "newsom not terrible, but maybe a republican might win?" which is a complete failure of dem messaging and leadership lol

elder getting the closest to newsom helped newsom, since he’s an easy target and scary as gently caress.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Americans fuckin hate their kids. lol

so many people have kids as status symbols. they do it for social climbing reasons lol

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

A thread with some good sociological points, that Nate loving S has to respond to lol.

https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/status/1435337097557250050?s=20

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If someone did this to me in a supermarket I'm knocking them the gently caress out.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

turns out being exposed to covid is no excuse to not go to school in texas.

Open UP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKfmkIgtWdw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

OK baizuo posted:

But if you physically defended yourself from this clear case of assault, you'd be the bad guy

gently caress that. You deck her and leave the store. You're fully masked, and you parked your car away from camera's. You'd be fine.

(If you're white, have a change of shirts in the car, and did all of the above and know your city/towns exit routes).