Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

e: I don't think anybody is making excuses for Trump itt ^^^

Pretty much. I imagine that a lot of goons who despair over masks live in chud-run states where nobody ever followed the rules for more than a month or two in 2020. That sucks, but in other parts of the country people are happy to follow the rules for public health.

This is most of Texas and part of why I'm planning on leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

To think that Planned Parenthood could have saved us all by subtweeting her with "that's just chlamydia lol"

Nikki Minaj's Cousin's Friend's Balls is unfortunately too long to be a username.

e: oh huh my joke in the last op about Work In Progress (feat. Comrade Nikki Minaj) sure aged like milk

Her Cuzs BFFs Nutz would work ;)

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

'or other drugs that may suppress your immune response' might open a door depending on your medication's side effects.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Hindsight is 20/20.

That's great and all but the CDC guidance was obviously poo poo when they delivered it and we are exactly in the situation it was obviously going to lead to. Im not sure i understand why you are so keen to announce that you missed it when it happened.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

poll plane variant posted:

I'd switch in a heartbeat just to be a citizen of a country that isn't rotting

Which ones aren't rotting?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

StrangeThing posted:

Yes. That doesn’t justify creating laws on the basis of “we know people will obey these, but they might use them as reasons to break other laws”.

You should not outlaw reasonable safe behaviour. End of story.

Lol, whatever, a society can ban whatever the gently caress it wants. Your situation sucks but your conclusions are equally f'd up.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Texas has been one of the more embarrassing disasters in the US. Our govt and lots of the people around the state were never enthusiastic supporters of caring for your fellow man and as soon as the vaccine came out almost everyone went back to normal even though we're only at like a 50% vaccination rate. Mask use at the store is maybe 10%.

Ive been lucky enough to wfh on a bit of land so we didnt have to go out much, and i took care of most of that. Recently we've started going to a small event or two but we're each triple vaccinated, the kids are vaccinated, and my mother in law across the street is vaccinated.

Texas schools reopened, and i totally get where our failing society needs that child care function, but opened with a patchwork of different implementations and in my area the superintendent has gleefully reported how he will be ignoring county regulations. No option to do hybrid or online school for non vaccinated youth.

Thankfully, there haven't been huge outbreaks around here and so we've weathered the actual storm fairly well, but most of the state lost its mind in the process.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Texas also has one of the worst dumpster fires in the US of healthcare, with many many hospital systems that are for profit that have been actively on fire for the last year and a half.

Yes, even the dumpster fires are bigger in texas.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

abelwingnut posted:

speaking of tx, i was in el paso from mid-august to mid-september. i felt safer there than i did in nyc or dc. nearly everyone in a public setting was wearing a mask. distancing was whatever, but it's whatever/non-existent everywhere. last i checked the vaccine rates there were a good deal above average too.

i get it's a whole different beast than what most people assume when they hear tx, but it was great to see regardless.

That's a fair point. El Paso has been a stand-out success. Consequently our state government has pretended they don't exist and can teach us nothing.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Once the delta info started coming out of Israel that 3rd shot started making a lot of sense

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Yeah the min-max is a different brand.

My impression was the min-max was "ok good you got whatever, now get a moderna shot"

e: https://twitter.com/AdrienneLaF/status/1451169947472875524

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Not a child haver but that doesn’t surprise me much. I know people are generally more risk adverse for their kids than themselves so unless they’re forced to by school districts or something, I don’t see it happening as much as adults. I’d also imagine chud parents would be even more rabid when it involves their kids.

I am risk adverse towards my children thats why my 11 yr old was vaccinated before schools reopened.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

PT6A posted:

There's this weird psychological gap between "if I choose to vaccinate my child, and something goes wrong it's my fault" and "if I don't vaccinate my child, and they get COVID and get a side-effect or a serious case, then it's God's will" or whatever. I don't fully get it, but it's definitely a very common hazardous attitude.

People tend to forget the other half of that thought... 'if i do vaccinate my child it is God's will'... it's all the Tao and there's no justification in any of it.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

too much sarcasm

In my experience, people with children have a different perspective than those without. That post was sarcasm, if you have kids it might well cross the line into way too snarky rear end in a top hat who should gently caress off sarcasm.

I read it more like 'Jesus Christ don't experiment with your kid'... but an experiment was happening regardless. Politicians and state employees had made decisions that removed the luxury of waiting for politicians and federal employees to get their jobs done.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Solving COVID is so loving easy its pathetic.

1) Issue national ID
2) Mobilize full defense apparatus to force all population into residential facilities.
3)Assault alternative sources of authority/religion, also anti-soul demonstrative acts

Within a month you will have COVID zero and a functional Republic

Define functional republic...

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Humans living fully for the betterment of the community and the fulfillment of humanities potential, complete devotion to the common betterment of all and virtuous government

Ok I don't believe the ever encroaching insurgency the military quarantine and media crackdown will encourage will lead to any amount of virtuous government.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

We must learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group are transcendent, and to embrace them is to achieve enlightenment.

Look that's great and all and I agree in part but don't go acting like you get outside of yourself. Transcend this reality and all you will find are the folds of your unexpectedly developed equine prefrontal cortex and the close confines of your skull.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gynovore posted:

...and then what, once the nerve stapling wears off and the drones have built up an immunity?

Sounds a lot like the next generation's problem, friend

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I don't know the details of these studies and how they're conducted, but am I reading this correct that 7 people contracted COVID, Pfizer gave them a sugar pill vs the pill that could have possibly saved their life, and they died instead?

Like, I get you need a placebo group, but man that's brutal to read if I have the correct take on it.

The results of that are great though. How many right-wingers who get COVID are going to refuse to take this Pfizermectin because politics?

My 'i'm a moderate republican' Q adjacent mother will never touch a Pfizer vaccine but is looking forward to this pill.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sir John Falstaff posted:

For some reason, the word "vaccine" is triggering in a way "pill" isn't. As such, I suspect this would probably disproportionately help antivaxxers, but less death is probably still a good thing.

Yeah no complaint here just a very 'loving primates' moment

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I got the vaccine and then I turned into a newt and drowned.

I got better though.

Can we get to the point where people finally see the violence inherent in the system?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

brugroffil posted:

Per the CDC, there have been more than 750k deaths in less than 2 years, making this statement incorrect:

It's pretty simple.

Wouldn't more deaths in less time still be more than 240k?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

brugroffil posted:

If you think you even marginally qualify under your country's booster qualifications, just go get it. If I didn't drag my rear end for a couple of weeks I'd probably be fine right now. If you're in the US and you're over 18, you probably qualify one way or another.

It's true, the CDC's list includes basically everything: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

enki42 posted:

The one thing I would say with the CDC list is that there's no advantage to gaming the immunocompromised category, since that's more about vaccines not being initially effective than waning. If you have a functioning immune system (or extremely mild acquired immunosuppression like you took prednisone for like a week recently) there's no advantage to getting a third shot 28 days after your second.

If you're 6 months out go hog wild obviously.

I was 6 months out and the boosters weren't approved yet so...

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

enki42 posted:

Sorry, that was more of a general statement and not directed at you personally in any way.

Oh yeah no worries I didn't take it as an attack

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

Counterpoint: I find "we must destroy the concepts of religion, the soul, individuality, and free will so that we may become an ant colony" darkly amusing.

edit: I don't think it's particularly good that their posts sound like an anime villain and/or Chairman Yang from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. But it's certainly A Thing.

What if they need to be decimated but not wholly annihilated for their own inherent evils and not with any specific intent on becoming an ant colony? Many of the evils in the world come from fetishizing those things rather than viewing them as useful fictions.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

Suffering is bad. Death is just a thing.

Well for the record in this case you are spot on.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

Knowing that it exists is not the same as having a full understanding of how it's going to affect things here in the United States or that it will even make it here in the first place. Plenty of variants have only shown up regionally and quickly died out before spreading to other areas.

How exactly did I understand better than the CDC how things were going to progress? Like, if you are right it's a pretty horrific condemnation of the CDC because i'm an untrained idiot and it was clear as day what would happen.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Mr. Pardiggle posted:

Convinced mom to get booster. Didn’t have to go very far into my prepared nbullet point list.
:toot:

I wish everyone else the best of luck prodding their family and friends to getting the Fauci Ouchie.

I'm kinda going the other way and divesting to the extent i can.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

I have been listening to the CDC for the past 20 months and I can also proudly say that I am covid-free. Happy day.

Huh. I have been selectively utilizing what CDC advice seemed beneficial and i, too, am covid free as of this morning's test.

It appears from this small sample of results that the CDC advice is irrelevant.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Okay boomer.

For what it's worth, I do genuinely hope your kids don't eat long covid consequences for your decisions.

The seeming improvement of the gene pool isn't worth the deprivation, true enough

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What is the point of talking about Mareks except “vaccine bad”? It’s the only reason to bring it up.

It’s an obscure chicken disease totally unrelated to covid in any way except for being a darling of the antivaxx movement.

I don't know for sure of course but my understanding was this was said in reference to a major outbreak and death among the unvaccinated, which would relate to:

quote:

Acute Marek's disease is an epidemic in a previously uninfected or unvaccinated flock, causing depression, paralysis, and death in a large number of birds (up to 80%). The age of onset is much earlier than the classic form; birds are four to eight weeks old when affected. Infiltration into multiple organs/tissue is observed.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Marek's is a particular herpes virus that effects chickens nerves. For a long time it caused minor paralysis and was fairly rarely fatal. In the 1970s a vaccine was developed. At some point in the 80s and 90s a much more dangerous strain came along that infects other tissues and is often fatal. But the vaccine continued to work against the new strains. Moving it from an optional vaccination to a required one.

At some point a paper was published questioning if it might be the case that vaccine helped select for the more dangerous strain. Which might be true or might not be, but it became instant required reading for the antivaxx crowd as it was their final 'proof" that vaccines were dangerous, it is held as the shining example that vaccines are dangerous and worsen disease and should not be taken by anyone, as they worsen things for everyone.

It's a relatively unremarkable disease outside of that. There has never been any conclusive proof vaccine did anything to create the newer strains, or that it didn't, it was a pretty "what if" paper, and there has never been any proof that is common to any other vaccine, but if you read about someone mentioning merak that paper is what they are talking about and the whole belief system that vaccines worsen disease and are a danger to unvaccinated people.

It just didn't track like the course of the disease was the point of referring to it. I get using that as a heuristic but i think you got a false positive here.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Smeef posted:

Well, that's the kind of simplistic model I'm trying to get past. The cultural comparisons too often come across as all Americans being a single culture of reckless assholes and all Asians being a single culture of drones (and most places just being ignored).

Having been around most of the 50 states it is wholly accurate to say that *white* america is a single culture of reckless assholes. I haven't been to Asia so I can't comment on the rest.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

Such a weird, sweeping generalization. The Pacific Northwest is white as hell and they've not done the exact same things w/r/t Covid as the Deep South. Come on.

Yes, the reckless assholes in the pacific northwest speak reckless rear end in a top hat with a different accent than those in the south or the midwest or hawaii or whatever. It's still a unifying trait for most white people in america. Like, am also, can confirm.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

knulla posted:

I really like "your kids are gonna get expunged from the genepool from covid" best of all.

Goons are either really misinformed about this or really dumb. Maybe both?

It *really* seems like it's both

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Professor Beetus posted:

... highly reasonable points ...

It's sad that even these steps seem to be on the level as time travel or unicorn magic.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Alctel posted:

Honestly I just don't know what the gently caress you do when 30% of your country refuses to get vaccinated or take any precautions at all.

Prepare for the worst, take what precautions you can to survive it, look for opportunities to help avert the worst scenarios.

But mostly
https://youtu.be/c55PtTyvfE4

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Gio posted:

I’m not qualified to interpret any data but to this point, covid-pollyanna/denialist/minimalist arguments often travel across borders using “the internet.”

Well one interpretation is that if this virus mutates to evade a vaccine's protection from hospitalization we're hosed because it seems to be rather more transmissible, but for right now, in SA, hospitalizations have remained manageable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

The bottom line is that early data is promising and does not show cause for alarm. The proper course of action for most people is to get their boosters and continue resuming their normal lives like they have been.

Nah. If you want to self-isolate then by all means do so - I promise I won't judge you. We will not have more lockdowns however, so hoping/advocating for that is futile.

Our normal lives are what led to the conditions we've found ourselves in this last year and a half or so. It might be that learning nothing from this experience and demanding an enforced normalcy is a mistake.