Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was with a climate researcher when trump won the election and he started crying on the spot and he explained that he just realized in a single moment that all his research was a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

vegetables posted:

You all grew up in much more optimistic communities than I did; I don’t know whether to be envious or glad of having pessimism impressed upon me. It was always made very clear to me that I should expect to see very hard times in my lifetime, sometimes through the medium of cartoons

I'm 150 years old, and from my perspective you're very sheltered. I knew Earth was doomed in 1898 when the Coal Smoke Abatement Society called for a debate in the House of Lords and was refused. I went on to win several prestigious awards for being despondent in the 1920s.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was a chemtrail pilot from 1996-1998. I can confirm they control your mind, but only if you breath air outside.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Weembles posted:

Probably around the level of the 2018 eruption in hawaii but has a good chance of burning down more houses since there's a chance it will come up under that town instead of a suburb.

Why would you try to predict the magnitude of a volcanic eruption lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

OIL PANIC posted:

this is violence. please never post anything like this again in this thread

Its called microposts

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
"Hopefully it will prove transitory"

lol

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

bawfuls posted:

my understanding from Twitter is that this year we have hit several days over 2C but more significantly this will likely be the first time where the whole year’s average is over 1.5C

that still doesn’t “count” as 1.5C yet because it’s not a multi year average but we’re getting there

We can just keep averaging down forever like a Gamestop hodler.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Trabisnikof posted:

from that site (formerly known as Windscale), the british government estimates 100-300 people so far and they have a bit of a history of lying and downplaying risks from their nuclear weapons industry so that should be considered a lower bound

yeah and the whole point is Windscale didn't even generate any electricity, it didn't offset any coal power plants. all we got were lovely British nuclear bombs which is why it "doesn't count" towards the deaths caused by the nuclear industry because gotcha

Using the safety of pile reactors from the 1940s as your template for assessing the risks of a nuclear plant built in 2023 doesn't make any sense. I'm sure you could find or explain a good argument about why nuclear power is bad, but come on... They literally built a pile of uranium bricks with holes in it and pushed the radioactive slugs out of the side using big wooden poles.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Imperial superpowers have committed war crimes with pretty much every technology that exists. The CIA committed crimes against humanity with a fake vaccine program but I still promote and take vaccines.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm not defending the crimes against humanity I'm saying that imperial crimes are a given. You don't get rid of nuclear weapons by not having civilian power generation. The weapons are a given, the power is optional.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dokapon Findom posted:

I am all ears for alchemy being real

I'm confused by this post.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I would be a huge fan of nuclear power but I have one issue with it. It doesn't transmute one type of atoms into another type of atoms.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TACD posted:

Bhutan has the right idea, under-promise and over-deliver 👍🏻

I'm the implication that if Bhutan limited emissions to the green line that temperature increases would be limited to 1.5C.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just because we're at 1.5C doesn't mean we're not on target. 2.0C was always the real goal. Yes, warming is accelerating, but climate being able to accelerate means it can decelerate as well. Changes not being linear is good for us because it means our tools will slow it down even faster.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

what if we made flying…. good for the environment???

Elon please we need you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

cash crab posted:

part of my existential crisis from this year was when we banned single use plastic bags here but replaced them with that plastic-based reusable type of bag that people buy anyway and i realized how hosed we were and how everything was a joke. it turned me into a complete lunatic for like a week and a half

Seems pretty good to me, most people I see are using reusable bags and backpacks now.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

OIL PANIC posted:

a goose will abandon its eggs and start brooding any larger egg-shaped thing you put in front of it, and yet it sounds like the geese are responding to climate change more rationally than the floridians

edit: i think what im trying to say is we need to teach geese economics

Humans wasted tens of thousands of delicately wrinkled neuron sheets inventing an egg detection algorithm. The geese just use the shape.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TACD posted:

motherfucker, if you are going to say

and

then i am not going to take you seriously when you also say

it’s gone from desperate cope to incoherent nonsense. it is happening now, that’s literally what you’re researching. the gently caress do you think proactive means

Its obviously a poor translation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

success!

Good to see we're right on track!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hamas ftw posted:

isn't it obvious? the clathrate gun is going off right now, 2023 is what that process looks like:

at a conservative estimate, that's +/- 0.5 C of additional warming between mid-2023 (~1.5C) and now (~2.0C). that's a rate of global heating of approximately +1C per year, not 1C/decade or 1C/century. a simple straight-line interpolation of this rate of heating yields the following low-end numbers:

by the start of 2025: +3.0 C over baseline
by 2030: +8.0 C over baseline
by 2040: +18.0 C over baseline
by 2050: +28.0 C over baseline
by 2100: +78.0 C over baseline

however, the rate of heating is accelerating. the second derivative of heating? that's also accelerating. so realistically, actual rates of heating are going to be significantly higher, and it's only going to keep accelerating until there's nothing left to release and nothing left to burn. an apocalyptic runaway clathrate reaction isn't a hypothetical anymore, it's already happening. we're about a year into that process. we're going to look back on 2023 as the last 'normal' year before the great dying really began in earnest.

gently caress it, go ahead and scream if it helps you feel better. this rollercoaster's going down anyway, might as well scream a little

I'll bet you $50,000 we don't hit +8c by 2030.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rauros posted:

all these trees better stop using their senses and just learn to read a calendar

:wrong:

They need to put out leaves in winter to grow, and then drop them in the summer when its too hot for vegetation to live.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Nothing risked, nothing gained.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hubbert posted:

the sea is the universal sewer

plastic mass is expected to outweigh all fish biomass in the oceans before 2050

The solution to pollution is dilution.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I can't wait to explain to someone how computer bugs got their name, but as part of it I have to explain what bugs were.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Is there run away global warming or do we need snow plows? Make up your mind!!!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Mosquitos aren't bugs!!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
All we have to do to save the planet is invent the perfect meme.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wood is renewable.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The frog in the boiling water survived every challenge thrown at it so far! It survived 30 degrees celcius, 31, 32, 33. There's no reason to believe it won't survive 34 too.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mags posted:

climate change didnt kill me personally over the last year so who can say how bad it really is?

Even primitive humans living in caves were able to remove 100 gigatons of co2 from the atmosphere, how hard can it be now?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

for gently caress's sake, the cspam covid thread is that way ---->>>>

Just ask famous covid conspiracy theorist Deborah Birx:

https://twitter.com/LaSeletzky/status/1745289146833510813?t=55Fb47NgYkhOypJIydmLDA&s=19

quote:

Birx became the director of the United States Military HIV Research Program at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research, a position she held for nine years, from 1996 to 2005. In that position, Birx led the HIV vaccine clinical trial of RV 144, the first supporting evidence of any vaccine being effective in lowering the risk of contracting HIV.[15]

Ah I'm sure it's fine.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

theCalamity posted:

So are we just going to get this every single year around this time now?

Nah, I'm sure eventually there just won't be any arctic air.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Potable air.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Greenland only looks big because of the map projections used in the west. They artificially enlarge the northern latitude countries, and so something as far north as Greenland looks huge, when in reality it's probably like the size of Madrid or something

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
What I'm reading here is that if I build my house 4.62 meters above sea level I'm good to go for 100 years.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Dokapon Findom posted:

You overlaid a Mercator with Small Mercator? :thunk: what does that prove?

??

how big do you think greenland is for example in miles north to south.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Well I'm from Texas and the only thing I learned in school is ain't nothing biggur than texas.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Um my bug-out bag has a canteen AND a camouflage tarp,... I think I'll be fine when climate change finally happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Oh poo poo I don't have tinnitus after all it's just a drawn out ping

Covid causes tinninus.