Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rutibex posted:

Lol you can pull foil advertising cards? That's hilarious

Buy a box promos are specific cards that you get when you buy a box, not a card encouraging you to buy a box - and they can see play (Kenrith being a big recentish example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Played my first paper magic in about 5 years (other than against people using decks I've built) yesterday, it's Good Fun and I can Recommend

W.T. Fits posted:

"Attack Left" was a house rule your group decided to run with, because that's what you all liked.

Attack Left was a very widely used semi-official rule that has been codified in the MTG Comprehensive Rules since the section "Multiplayer Rules" was added (Rule 604 back in 2005, Rule 803 now) fwiw

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Gynovore posted:

Uhhh yeah I do not want to topdeck a Mox Emerald on Turn 8.

I play it in my Lagrella bouncy Historic Brawl deck and it's hilarious about 10% of the time and absolutely useless the other 90% so pretty on brand for the deck

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Probably something to do with Emrakul

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Couch Life posted:

Last Jace card was Mirror Mage in ZNR, right? Been a few years then.

The last eternal legal Jace card is, sadly, SPACE BELEREN from the unset

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Getting a regular playgroup with people on the same page is the solution to a lot of things to do with MTG that aren't cost-related.

I brought my Drake posted:

"Oh, somebody can cheat it into play and bounce it multiple times and dump all the basic lands out of their decks"

On top of the other accuracy issues, Primeval Titan doesn't specify basic lands.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Solis posted:

All of my green decks run beast within and doubling season but the latter I suppose is only useful for combo decks

And token decks like Rhys or Jinnie Fay

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toph Bei Fong posted:

This actually happened a little while back, when Mitch from the Commander's Quarters, a popular budget commander channel, decided he hated the Walking Dead secret lair so much that he was going to take his ball and go make his own commander format, Captain, which would be run democratically.

Within a week, the Discord server was overrun by nazis and racists who voted him out as format leader (he "democratically" made everyone in the discord server a mod), and the entire thing became an embarrassing fiasco that Mitch has avoided mentioning since. It also seriously tanked his brand as a channel, even more so that his spate of reviewing fantasy cards off reddit rather than doing inexpensive deck builds.

The story continues, where a number of people tried to keep the format going because they liked the idea and had elected positions and all that jazz, and then it got taken over by Nazis again and died a final death last year

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There are a fair number of Generic Nerd Stores like Forbidden Planet and Travelling Man about the UK, so them too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I've had planechase be fun exactly once: after a draft where we just had some drinks and played our draft decks with a tablet in the middle of the table until the bar closed

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I thought traversing planes was a big deal, only planeswalkers can do it and it's not trivial to do, with a handful of exceptions, rare portals, and rude phyrexian tricks, but by and large, normal beings can't decide to go to another plane. So where the heck are these other folks and things coming from -- is switching planes one of those super hard and rare things to do, except they also do it with whatever whenever they need some conflict or revisit a tribe?

edit: wotc needs to get their web poo poo together, keep clicking articles to lore that's not there anymore.

There are extraplanar beings, most notably the eldrazi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

^^ Nahiri had been almost entirely compleated on-screen, Tibalt "had a seed planted in him" by Vorinclex back in Kaldheim

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Apparently even in the worst Phyrexians can do, people can manage to survive on it without becoming compleated.

Only in Urabrask's bit because he likes them around to annoy Elesh Norn

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jabor posted:

Arbor Elf only untaps forests, the hypothetical use case for this guy would be untapping arbitrary utility lands that are balanced around only being used once a turn or something.

Vidmaster posted:

Gaea's Cradle :getin:

(Pretty sure it's bad, but I'll throw one into a goofy EDH deck at least)

Ley Weaver and Argothian Elder already do the Arbor Elf thing for arbitrary lands, twice, albeit at CMC 4 (also they go infinite with Ashaya, because can they untap a land and themselves every time they tap, as they are lands themselves). If I had a mana crypt in my Ashaya deck there'd be a theoretical t2 kill in it, which is nice.

[edit]

Here's the current build: https://archidekt.com/decks/3663699#Ashaya_Ramp

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 24, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Who organises it, because when I was part of organising one we had one proven (or accused) cheater and he was kicked out never to return. Cheating's bad but tolerating it is worse.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Panderfringe posted:

I mean they effectively have. You can still click on the button that says play and select standard, but... why would you want to?

Over 50% of the playerbase want to

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sickening posted:

I don't think arena sporting a 55% for standard is the high praise you are making it out to be. Its more of an indictment. Because that reads "what else am I going to do on arena?" , as the other 3 fake formats aren't exactly exciting either and are arena only.

All formats are fake (and Pioneer and Explorer are very similar at least as far as meta decks go)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

power creep is such that a bland vanilla creature is unplayable at best. they've gotta have some kind of keyword at minimum. Wasn't a recent set the first time not a single creature in the set was just stats and nothing else?

The last vanilla creature was printed in Strixhaven, there's none in Standard at the moment (which is a first)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AngryBooch posted:

Not sure I quite grok what you're asking for. I use Dragon Shields but have anecdotally found that the shuffle quality varies depending on the color. I like the Matte Lightning the best.

I find their shuffling much better if you have inner sleeves on the cards, but inner sleeves + dragon shield mattes are very thick - too big for a 100+ boulder thick. Ultra Pro Eclipse also very good, but have a slightly tinted front which can be difficult to see through under some lighting.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Khanstant posted:

the two times i went over they were talking about babylon 5 which i had never seen

There was also a Babylon 5 CCG, which was differently bad to the others - for sure it added new mechanics, but (aside from one) they were generally very quick to explain. The main issue was that the base game mechanics were very complicated while not having much flexibility - eg, there wasn't anything like the stack, which meant that a B5CCG version of Negate, say, ("Not Meant to Be") got ruled afterwards to only work on things that had easily reversible impacts on the game state because the way the turn cycle worked was everyone did things in turn at sorcery speed. Decks also needed to be much more synergistic than MTG decks, which meant that in order for actual games to be played the game had a rule which at end step any player could pay 3 to draw a card, as much as they liked. One of my friends ran a 14 card combo and while it was seen as a little janky it wasn't completely mad.

It was still good fun, I have thousands of thousands of cards including complete sets of basically everything and have multiple cards signed by the actors (which, it being B5, means most of them are now dead), and I played a lot in local tournaments. Oddly enough, my local area was probably the biggest playgroup in the world meaning that doing well in the tournaments* meant that you got pretty high up the WORLD RANKINGS OF COMPETITIVE PLAY just by turning up and not being terrible.

*Players signed up as one of the 5 major species (well, 4 major and "the small ones"), and the games were between different species, usually 4 to a table depending on the distribution of players. You had to bring 2 decks because if one species was oversubscribed a random player got randomly chosen to pick one of the others. 3 rounds and then a final composed of the best performing of each species. Imagine mono-coloured low powered EDH made into a competitive format.

If I had gotten into Magic as much as I was into B5, I would have a ludicrous card base. C'est la vie.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sadly my store had staff illnesses so pre-release was cancelled, and WotC doesn't let stores do "late" prereleases any more so we just played against each other at home with the boxes they gave us

My Azorius aggro proliferate deck worked pretty well, with the staff and white sun zenith the highlights

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

generatrix posted:

The prerelease I’m going to is this Thursday, and it’s on the Wizards event finder page. How late do you mean?

After normal release, apparently.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

flatluigi posted:

the mtg terminology is kind of the base language of all tcgs just by virtue of it doing it first, and I think most of its terms are very clean and clear

Most of them take a quick trip to the thesaurus (eg Rotated for Tapped)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Here in Europe, haven't really seen many curled foils - the only one I own that I think of as being particularly curly is an Overbeing of Myth from eventide. Americans are really being shanked on the card stock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The death of vanilla creatures is likely also part of it - there hasn't been one printed since Strixhaven, and there are likely to be lots of effects you don't want to see multiples of on a single board for easier balance.

(New Sheoldred is a fine example. In a commander game the other day I managed to copy someone else's one a handful of times in my Ivy deck and it was unsurprisingly nuts)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mycomancy posted:

I agree. The Legend rule was always fairly easy to comprehend: if you play a second one, all other legendary copies get murked because you summoned that legend to your side. It makes sense flavor-wise, it makes sense mechanically, and it gives you a reason to keep extra copies in your hand.

Seriously, is that a difficult mechanic to comprehend for people?

It's not difficult to comprehend, the original legend rule just heavily favoured being on the play and lead to feel-bad situations where you can't play your cards. Imagine how much worse Ragavan would be for the game - and it's pretty bad already - if you couldn't play it on the draw against one on the play

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

ilmucche posted:

T1 ragavan, T2 dash second ragavan

And play Ragavans 3 and 4 off the treasures

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

Invoke Despair is good because you think you've finally exhausted the control deck's answers, they're in top deck mode, and suddenly there's a 12 point life swing and they drew three cards.

It's only a 12 point life swing if they have Sheoldred out, and if that's the case you have other problems beyond Invoke

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The argument that Elesh Norn will a) disproportionately affect casual EDH games because of play styles and is b) disproportionately likely to appear in casual EDH games compared to more broken cards because it's the face card of an incredibly well selling set, and one the story has been based around for a long time, is one that I think has some merit. Not enough to ban it, but enough to be concerned about casual asymmetric power creep.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chakan posted:

I don’t really understand why there’s a seperate queue in brawl, are they just worried MMR isn’t good enough? If all the decks in that queue are strong and counterspell based, I guess they’re worried it will upset the low power deck players and they’ll quit.

They only introduced the hell queue when it became apparent that MMR just wasn't good enough. It's an unranked queue, and there's plenty of decks that just don't have any chance of doing anything against the best commanders because of the consistency that the commanders give you, so people would either have a miserable time or just scoop immediately.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Venuz Patrol posted:

you could change any one thing about venerated rotpriest and i think it would at least theoretically be balanced, like changing it to only spell effects you control, or limiting the trigger to only the rotpriest and not all your creatures, or removing the toxic 1 keyword, or changing the stat line to 1/1, or changing the cost to 1G, but it absolutely blows my mind that the designers thought all of the things it does were appropriate for a 1 cost creature

Having it on cast spell target rather than on spell target would depower it a lot as it would remove the synergy with Ivy and other spell copiers.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

Apparently one of the cards in All Will Be One has a typo, someone pulled the old "and and" due to a line break. A customer pointed it out when they were looking at the card in the case.

That's baby errors, the Oil Slick Foil Zopandrel (that is, the most expensive version of the green dominus) has a rules misprint - the activation cost of its indestructible ability is 1PgPg rather than just two Phyrexian green

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lets Pickle posted:

Atraxa gets New Capenna presumably because it's a story point that Norn sends Atraxa to level that plane.

The flavour text of Bloodfell Caves has Atraxa going to New Capenna. Blossoming Sands is Amonkhet (with the green Phyrexians mentioned), Dismal Backwater is Kamigawa, Jungle Hollow Ixalan, Rugged Highlands Zendikar, Scoured Barrens Ikoira, Swiftwater Cliffs Kaladesh (with Jin), Thornwood Falls Eldraine, Tranquil Cove Theros and Wind-Scarred Crag Dominaria (with Norn).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't think so, but it's due pretty soon iirc

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ineptitude posted:

This makes it sound dumber than it is. I live in a small country with very few LGS'es and almost no local play community so i have to buy cards online from international shops. Shipping costs are extremely high ($40 is used as a minimum figure several places i checked) and i need to pay VAT + a toll fee to import the cards on top of that. If i wanted to buy a single card that cost $10 for example, the total cost would be about $80. As such i am HIGHLY motivated to do bulk purchases that are planned very well, so that i get as many cards as possible in as few shipments as possible.

A complete set of commander legal cards would cost hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of dollars. 100% don't just order them one card at a time, but there's a difference between "I'm going to get 2 decks" and "I'm going to get 20,000 cards, some of which cost hundreds of dollars due to scarcity but will never see play in any deck because they're terrible"

[edit]

There are 24,479 legal commander cards according to scryfall, many of which go in zero decks and a smaller number of which will go in many or most decks.

If you're just playing For Fun and not competitively, proxy services like MPCFill are probably the way to go given how expensive the shipping for individual orders was going to be. Make decks on Archidekt or Moxfield then go wild.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Feb 21, 2023

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Ahhhh ok, yeah I think that's probably exactly where I went wrong. Was only looking at the price per card!

I need to put a custom back on them though, probably just a simple one with "PROXY" across it or something

Use MPCFill, there's a bunch of custom card backs there and it automates the whole process pretty well.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Even then, making two lists with MPCFill to get the images is a good idea even if you have to do half of it by hand

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

UB does lead to kind of awkward situations like not being able to use Hobbit as a creature type because it'll be in the Magic comp rules for the rest of human history

Nah, they used Tyranid as a creature type in the 40k one. I imagine it's because there's already halflings from AFR

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

To me, "hobbit=green" seems pretty obvious, but considering the outsized presence of Hobbits in LotR, it doesn't seem feasible for about half the cards in the set be green.

Unless they're going heavily into tertiary characters there's 5 hobbits (Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry, Pippin) compared to about twice that many major humans (Aragorn, Boromir, Faramir, Isildur, Denethor, Eomer, Eowyn, Theodin, Grima, technically the Ring-Wraiths, not actually but in general knowledge Gandalf and Saruman)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Arivia posted:

unless you think Skrelv, Defector Mite has a ten page backstory devoted to him.

Has or should have