Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Playing a durdly UB deck with a few of the fun "exile your opponent's cards to steal them" like Rogue Class and Siphon Insight and went up against a RW burn deck that I had zero chance against for how slow I was. But then my Siphon Insight pulled his Rem Karolus while I was at 4 life with an ~okay~ board to his poor one.

I cast it, because hey at least it gives me a turn while he shoots it down, before he resumes hitting me in the dome to finish the game. But it turns out he doesn't know how his own cards work, because he just kept sending his burn upstairs (to no effect) instead of killing the Rem, then I finished him off with Grazilaxx card advantage. I also got to live the dream of returning the discard 1B creature with Grazilaxx's ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
It’s funny to think how much better the early planeswalker era would have been if the rules had allowed you to target planeswalkers with damage based spells with simple templating like they do now. Being forced to balance around burn decks really neutered red’s response to walkers.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

and that you didn't know what they were going to hit before you responded.

I did enjoy when someone would get 'caught' on tournament streams not understanding that interaction, and letting a bolt targeting the player resolve because they didn't understand the planeswalker redirection rule.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Silhouette posted:

Wotc needs to just stop printing extra turn spells because they're the most unfun poo poo in the game

*constantly cranking the dial that says "Time Walk CMC" and looking back at my players for approval*

Also anyone have thoughts on this list? I've basically been playing "cards I opened" F2P right now, but I want to spend my wildcards to build something and this looks cool

Golgari Midrange

Edit: Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcKLnlWTpc

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

nobody can give anyone money, the servers are busted

The marketing guy who can bring down the sales infrastructure gets a raise

The IT guy gets more budget and then maybe replaced

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Yawgmoth posted:

:lol: at this in the Arena deals today:

Look, they've got about 200,000 full-art digital Trickeries that they need to unload, of course it's going be on sale

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gynovore posted:

I think the previous dude meant a card that removed the card type 'creature', not creature subtypes.

Offhand I'm not away of any one card that does that, although it can happen.

Edit: Song of the Dryads does the same thing but makes it a forest

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GigaPeon posted:

Are those those lil boxes that have two 30 card decks? I got a handful of those at a music fest. The cards seemed pretty vanilla, but I'm sure they're good for learning the basic rules.

Yeah, the idea is that they have zero value though, so owners won’t be tempted to sell them on the secondary market instead of giving them away. We got a few of them a while back when I was teaching my wife to play. Used them as the foundation of some decks built up with draft chaff.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

If you make a copy of a spell cast with cleave, is the copy cleaved?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

It seems like you could make an argument for it being different. With Kicker, each card has an ability that says "If ~ was kicked".

With Cleave, it's telling you to remove card text, it's not explicitly an ability that gets checked. The ability that removes the card text in brackets is also explicitly tied to *casting* it with cleave, rather than asking if its cleave cost was paid.

So if the copied spell forgets that the text in brackets was removed, I'm not sure if there's a rule that would cause the copy to look again to see if the text should be removed.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jabor posted:

(Also, you can't make a deck out of all 6-drops).

Challenge accepted

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ilmucche posted:

I hate that twitter cuts the top off images

It lets me make very poor guesses at casting costs while I click through

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

Does that last half of the card text seem... a little unfinished? Do you get the discount forever? Until the wolf leaves play? What if you have another wolf? I mean I think I know how its suppose to play, but I am expecting more text to tell me things.

It's Goblin Electromancer except you gotta look at types and count sometimes

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HootTheOwl posted:

This looks fun

Did you mean "miserable"? I think you meant "miserable". That pseudo helm of the hosts just staring at you from the graveyard.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Golgari Butts

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

TotalHell posted:

“Zombies with huge asses” is an interesting theme for a set.

Golgari. Butts.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
1: Good decks need too many rares in them, [this is a cash grab for Arena]

2: What does it mean to have "too many" rares, what is the correct number?

3: Don't worry about rarity [Sarcasm? Misunderstanding the issue? Both?]

4-5: Sass

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VictualSquid posted:

If I cast alchemists gambit for 1RR and get another turn effect during the same turn, when do I lose the game? I assume it is my choice which turn to take first? But I am not sure.

In Magic, the most recently generated extra turn will be taken first. So if you cast Alchemist's gambit, then another Timewalk, then cast more Timewalks during your
Timewalk turn, you won't reach the Alchemist's Gambit turn which makes you lose the game, until all the extra turns that were cast after it have finished.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GonSmithe posted:

I didn't say anywhere in my post I was talking about posters in this thread. The general sentiment on social media for the past crossover secret lairs have been tons of doom and gloom about the future of Magic, and that's what I was talking about. I looked at the Twitter responses to the announcement in a few different places and mostly just saw people excited about it.
I don't know why you tried to turn me making a general statement about finding that funny into me obsessively tracking the posting history of people in the MTG thread, but uh, you do you.

I'm fixing your post so you don't get angry when we don't understand that you were referring to something in your head without saying it

quote:

Super hilarious to see people on twitter getting excited about this because it's a game(/show) they actually like when normally they would be flipping out about how Magic is dying if it was something they didn't

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't have to tell me. I opened two boxes of collector boosters for CL. this is what the foils looked like a few days after being taken out of the boosters:

while most foils pringle, none of the previous sets were like this. and these ones cannot even be stacked, they just slide off each other if you try to lay them flat like a deck.

the ones that are semi-flat are the foiled-on-both-sides tokens, so the foiling almost cancels itself out. :v:

If you shuffled them so that every other card was reversed, I wonder how much power you could generate by raising and lowering the humidity

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SphericalDan posted:

My only concern is how quickly will they implement rebalances to cards. Runeterra and Hearthstone would take forever for hotfixes and rebalances I'm hoping if there are problematic cards rebalances can be implemented in days and not weeks.

Since MTG Arena will be maintaining a separate Standard ecology, hopefully the Alchemy rebalances will really be fast and furious. Currently, standard rebalances are an injection of currency, which can be at cross purposes with making money. Since they're giving us duplicate Arena/Standard versions of each card, I suspect changes to Alchemy are just part of the game, and you can pound sand if you want a refund for an Alchemy nerf. You still have the Standard card, after all.

Also the article example had a buff, which is encouraging, since there's a lot more design space opened when you're not just nerfing the good cards.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A big flaming stink posted:

Holy poo poo I only now realized that Huntmaster doesn't give you additional copies for each copy you exile from your deck

Why the gently caress would they write the card that way

It does two things:

1. Removes cards from deck. Just deck thinning stuff you don't want into exile (or stuff you can cast from exile later like that one weird card?)

2. Removes cards from hand, but turns the removed card into a sideboard card

Or a combination thereof.

It originally just did 1), but they changed it in development so that it could do 2) too, as a power boost

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Drewjitsu posted:

Post your favourite mtgo bugs.

"Greenuce"

The one where if you bestowed a Spirespine on your opponent's creature, it timed out your opponent

https://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/articles/archive/magic-online-announcements-october-7-2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mcmagic posted:

There should be a vax mandate to go along with the mask mandate but at the end of the day I'm vaxxed and boosted and I'll wear a mask and i'm going to do poo poo that I enjoy doing. I don't think i'm putting myself or anyone around me in any kind of real danger going to this. If you aren't vaxxed and you go that is a risk that you are going to take.

Yeah, the pandemic is just gonna burn itself out

Edit: Not like one individual makes a difference, we're just the indicators of what national policy is doing everywhere

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not, but we lack the political will to do anything about it.

I mean, "burn itself out" means massive deaths as we achieve Herd Immunity the way that god intended

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Will SCG feature the pox deck in round one?

If no, will they actively avoid featuring the pox deck in later rounds if it performs well?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Deviant posted:

[banging on table]

ICY MANIPULATOR ICY MANIPULATOR

Pointless without Royal Assassin

I think my 11-year-old playgroup banned that combo, because how were you going to beat it?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arcturas posted:

Channel feels like a dual-faced card except you can’t counter the backside?

It's kicker except you don't pay the casting cost

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Huxley posted:

At the most abstract I guess there's

Kicker (do a thing and/or another thing at the same time): kicker, multikicker, madness
Flashback (do a thing then another thing at a later time): flashback, adventures, aftermath
Split cards (do a thing or do a different thing): the modal DFC, channel, actual split cards
Threshold (do a thing depending on circumstances): threshold, delirium, metalcraft

Flashback is kicker that has rules text about zones

Split cards are kicker that use the word "instead"

Threshold is kicker with an "if"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Overcosted Shatter target Token

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
"I dreamcrushed Eric Froehlich and he got mad on the internet" is a great story to have in your quiver

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Cactrot posted:

Once again I am asking, how does something like this even happen?

Seems clear that a Dracula Island and a regular Island are separate entities, like in MTGO, rather than the same entity with different appearance / decorations.

Dracula lands are probably missing some tag that gets checked to determine if a sideboard is valid as the client enters sideboarding.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ok, so cheating an attacker into play doesn't satisfy the qualification of 'having attacked' for Boast abilities. Is that a 'just in this case' deal or does it apply to other situations like 'destroy any creature that didn't attack this turn' effects?

Not answering your question, but apropos of this, I love how they used to print the Rulebook directly on cards

Lure

quote:

All creatures able to block target creature must do so. If a creature has the ability to block more than one creature, Lure does not prevent this. If there is more than one attacking creature with Lure, defender may choose which of them each defending creature blocks.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Art direction: Large Tanuki monster, but for the love of god do not include its huge pendulous balls

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

evilweasel posted:

that makes me wonder about something: does mirror gallery make legendary sorceries lose the legendary nonsense?

Nah, the Legendary Sorcery rules text is unrelated to the "Legend Rule"

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Someone is going to really gently caress up a draft match by not realizing the deathtouch counter doesn’t actually give it death touch

You're going to gently caress up a draft match by not realizing that the rules have been updated

quote:

122.1b A keyword counter on a permanent or on a card in a zone other than the battlefield causes that object to gain that keyword. The keywords that a keyword counter can be are flying, first strike, double strike, deathtouch, haste, hexproof, indestructible, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, and vigilance, as well as any variants of those keywords. See rule 613.1f.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Nastier Nate posted:

You are correct that’s what I get for not reading 5 years of rules updates during my abscence from mtg

*forces my 12-year-old prerelease opponent to mark down manaburn damage because I haven't played since Revised*

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Nastier Nate posted:

This is gonna end up as a dead card in my hand in so many drafts…but maaaan what a great name

It's kind of like B: Give target creature/spell deathtouch, draw a card. Except you can't get blown out by removal on your creature.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Can you successfully flicker something you brought back with this? The replacement effect doesn't kick in if it's going to exile due to a separate ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Kiki-Jiki saga, to copy your copy ability