Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Trailer looks dope. Planing thirds for the Epicness! :woop:

Jared Harris is the GOAT. I hope they find a way to get Tobias Menzies in this poo poo. :allbuttons:

Tomorrow is bonus day, so time to waste a few bucks on two months of Apple+ or whatever this nonsense is called. I'll bang out For All Mankind, while I'm at it! And that Tom Hanks submarine movie!
:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

I've never read Foundation but I read a bunch of Asimov stuff when I was a kid. Should I read the books if I'm interested in the show? I remember his stuff being really dry, but then I was like 12.

It's pretty dry, and has some anachronisms, like constantly referring to "atomics" as the end-point of technology. The first book isn't even 300 pages though? You could probably bang it out in a day or two if you have some free time!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CornHolio posted:

I love Foundation and can't wait for this show. What time does it drop tomorrow?

Book spoiler I doubt it will make it in, but the entire plot with The Mule was my favorite and I really hope they find a way to get there

They want the series to run 80 episodes, so maybe in Season 3 or 4? :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
is it a spoiler if i missed it in the show because i was looking at my phone???
:ohdear:

Glimpse posted:

It’s not in the books. I said that it’s not in the books. There is no terrorist attack on the space elevator in the books, there is no space elevator in the books. And there is no heavy handed response to the thing that’s not in the books in the books. This is wild speculation.

I'm pretty sure that space elevators, and many other concepts, were still decades away from conception when the source material was produced.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

They have said before that they would like to tell the story in ~80 episodes, so I don't think there is a risk of things popping up too early, except as fan service like the opening mention of The Mule.

They've also said that they have made some conceits to keep characters around for the duration, rather than a revolving door of main characters. Seems easy enough to keep Harris and Pace around given Seldon's role in the books and the clone gimmick for the emperor (wondering if they are going to have Mann always play the oldest clone, or put Pace in makeup), and a few strategic sub-liminal trips to extend Gaal's life seem easy enough.
:shrug:

etalian posted:

What's the point of having a Science Fiction setting if the Ray Guns don't make people explode?

Even if the series ends up being a dud I do admire how it tried to take on a unfilmable source material in which a majority of the original books was character conversations and also something that happens over a massive timespan.

Also it acts as character/world-building: the emperor is callous and cruel, the empire dispenses harsh and summary justice, and there is a reason everyone cowers on Trantor. They did a lot with one splat of a Dr. Manhattan gun!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's with the need for stasis during FTL jumps? I didn't get that one.

They said something about it makes people (literally) lose their minds, but I think I was on my phone. :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Proteus Jones posted:

All this pearl clutching about how they're absolutely ruining Foundation with zero evidence is both amusing and a stark reminder why most TV IV threads are a waste of bandwidth.

:hmmyes:

Gonna leave this here since it's looking like we'll need it a bunch before another episode even airs!

---------------------------------------8<---------------------------------------

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah, I think the point of ~online discussion~ is that there be something to discuss.

It's easy to say that something sucks and move on: we have an entire forum dedicated to that very concept! Harder to make that funny and/or interesting.

For instance, saying that "the Emperor wearing blue Doom armor looks lame" or that "every scene feels like it was filmed in a warehouse and painted digitally in post" would be valid criticisms expressed in an interesting/humorous way which could indulge further discussion while still allowing for differences of opinion.

Saying :bahgawd: imma hate this show if [insert thing from books] isnt handled [insert way i think it should be handled]!!!1 is kind of pointless and the only response anyone can really have is either "sure" or "none of that has happened yet."

I'm all for a good hatewatch (see GoT/TWD threads), but can we at least give it one season before we speculate on how bad the next episode will be? Especially if that speculation is going to be a CIA-sized wall of spoilered text that lays out 5 seasons worth of plot?

Is it Friday, yet?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

stephenthinkpad posted:

My complaint of Foundation books is that the premise of math predicting human future is janky, not that it's soft scifi or hard scifi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Bueno_de_Mesquita

Kazzah posted:

Man, I can't believe they killed off Lee Pace's character in ep 3

I really like what they've done with the Cleons. Moving from episode 2 to 3 and having the actors all switch characters and they are doing a great job of selling it. You can tell how episode 3's (new) Brother Dusk is Lee Pace's character from ep2 and so on. Loving the stuff on Trantor.

Tiggum posted:

A scientist, Hari Seldon, used his revolutionary new science to predict that the galactic government would fall. The head of that government (who is a clone) didn't want to hear that but there was a terrorist attack that seems to confirm it, so he banished Seldon and all his friends to the farthest edge of the galaxy to write an encyclopaedia. On the way, Seldon was murdered and his assistant thrown off the ship for reasons, as yet, unknown. When they get to their destination, there's a weird artefact there that no one can get near.

Decades pass. There's now a woman who can go near the artefact. No one knows why. One of the nearby planets has taken some threatening actions and the scientists find they can't contact the empire for help.

Guy who believes in The Plan (that the empire is collapsing and is potentially halfway into that collapse): hey, we should ask the Empire for help, way out here at the edge of the galaxy!
Communications Officer: The Empire isn't answering our calls...
Guy who believes in The Plan (that the empire is collapsing and is potentially halfway into that collapse): uhhh...try again...
:downsgun:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Genuine question - how are you going to know what spoiler text is for the most recently released episode and what spoiler text is for potential book spoilers? I understand context may help but not always.

I like to redact the spoilers, but leave the context. So when talking about the most recent episode I might say:

"What was happening on Terminus when Salvor was holding the bird-moth things and what was that supposed to signify?"

Or,

"Holy crap, I can't believe Brother Dusk just yeeted himself into dust at the end! :aaaaa:"

Or if I wanted to speculate on the books:

"So we see the battlecruisers coming for Terminus, do you think some book poo poo that hasn't happened yet or will they jump ahead to some different book poo poo."

stephenthinkpad posted:

No you only rule when you are Brother Day, so only 1/3 of your lifespan. 30 year reign X 14 = 420. Did one shot said Cleon 14th?

The robot girl also said Cleon II was only born right before OG Cleon's death, so he actually got to rule to the end of his life, and got the Mao treatment.

Yeah, Cleon II probably had Demerzel as a reagent until he became Brother Day and took over while they birthed a new Brother Dawn. So Cleon II would have been the first to vaporize himself...
:stare:

I was kind of wondering where they kept the other bodies...everyone kept looking at Cleon Prime.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Pham Nuwen posted:

Although Asimov was a chemist, Demerzel probably would have been a regent, not a reagent :haw:

Ummmm...I blame autocorrect. :ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I still think it is so funny that people keep saying “the premise is far fetched” when it has been so long that Psychohistory is basically actual science now (or, at the least, billion-dollar companies are willing to pay like it is).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Psychohistory in Foundation is Magic Space Math. Think Element Zero from Mass Effect or Warp Drive physics from Star Trek.

“Psychohistory” in real life is a very complicated analysis of game theory which is used to determine what actions state actors will take and how other sovereigns can influence those decisions to their benefit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, we still have no idea how much of the retconned robot stuff will make it into the show and if it does it is still probably seasons away from “The Three Laws” being explained so my suggestion is either to wait or read the books?

Like, I kind of feel like if a person has read enough of the books to ask this question a person has read enough of the books to know the answer so this really feels like performative spoilers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Huh, I'm getting the complete opposite. I think the writing has lots of subtle nods and clues (thanks to whoever pointed out the left-handed thing), many of which are leading to future plotlines, but these all feel natural and not fan-servicey. I love the Cleon actors and think they are doing an amazing job of :airquote: passing :airquote: their characters from episode to episode. The stuff on Terminus has been the slowest, but I like a good buildup and feel pretty confident with what has been displayed so far that it is leading to something satisfying.

The world building, sets, costumes, and special effects are all top quality. There have been a few times where it feels melodramatic like a stage play: the scene where Day blows up the planets while their envoys watch felt like it was filmed by a high school (except for the amazing production values) comes to mind. But, I really have very few criticisms so far and am enjoying it a lot!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Snape kills Gandalf.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also looking forward to adnormal low self-esteem Lee Pace next Friday.

Yeah, the Clone Zone is doing an amazing job. I guess it was not so subtle to have Left-Handed Cleon erase The Painter’s mural...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm just not understanding the desire to come to this thread and have people say variations of "after watching 3 episodes it is clear that they will totally screw up [posts every major plot point] and that is why I hate this show." Not trying to jump on anyone specific, because it happens almost every page now...

What is it about this dry-rear end, dusty old tome that has book readers so worked up? Is this some cultural thing amongst Asimov-stans or something?

On some level, I blame reviewers like CinemaSins for this kind of thing: audiences have been taught to only view media for its faults and that enjoying anything is for the simple-minded or children. But this, specific book seems to really bring that out in people. I wonder why, because as people keep saying: it's not a very good book.

Randarkman posted:

I did not come in here to yell spoilers. I don't know what you're on about. It's not even supposed to be a mystery in the book.

You just happened to be the most recent of about a dozen people to come to the thread and driveby with spoilers from the book. Posters, like myself, who are actually enjoying the show are starting to find criticisms of, or comparisons to, the book to be tedious and pointless because it is either a wall of spoilers or black text discussing things that probably won't happen for a couple of seasons.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh thank goodness the new ep just posted!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Honestly I was more than surprised when they mentioned an 80-90 episode plan because that felt like some Hobbit-level stretching.

I have been waiting for the vault to open and have its big reveal, but I also kind of thought that would happen at the end of episode 3. When 4 cliffhangered like that, I started wondering how long it would be before my main man JH shows back up, if they wait until the end of the season for that I will be a little miffed...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I'm the sickos guy but haha yes haha yes at people having to suffer through week long cliffhangers again.
:cawg:

Jerusalem posted:

This episode had no Lee Pace so I'm mad :argh:

Liked everything involving Gaal figuring out a way around the authorization limitations to figure out her destination but the stuff on Terminus where of course everything went exactly according to the Huntress' master plan felt a little contrived - like why wouldn't Salvor open her communication with "Hey they've got a cloaked anti-spaceship cannon down here"? That seems like pretty important information and though she wasn't to know the Huntress' #2 had orders to let comms stay open long enough to trick the Imperial Commander into ordering her to the tower, they were banking a lot on that cannon (that they prepped completely in the open in front of Salvor!) information not being conveyed in that window and completely blowing their strategy to pieces.

Yeah, not saying something when given the chance makes zero sense when she had just said "it's not us they're hiding it from". WELL, THEN WHO, SALVOR???

Also, every gun in this show works like a laser musket that is eight feet long and can't hit the side of a barn but that one canon shoots like Apollo's arrow...
:thunk:

And we have an ILP (infinite Lee Pace) machine and didn't get a single Lee Pace so I'm mad! :argh:

Also really excited for the upcoming week because there will be so many book-stans who will absolutely hate this episode and all of its content...
:laugh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Nitrousoxide posted:

Not really sure what's supposed to be going on with (This episode talk) Hari on the ship. While it did seem EXTREMELY suspicious that he had a special casket designed by himself, I don't see how he could evade the colony ship's doctors to appear dead, get placed in a cryo-sleep pod disguised as a casket, end up at the same place as Gaal, 34 years later, and then be walking around the ship in some sort of cloaking field all the while suffering from an untreated sucking chest wound for hours while he bleeds out liters of blood.

I am guessing that he is some kind of AI, the blood disappeared like a hologram, so maybe the AI is processing his bodydeath or something?

I also realized that Gaal's whole plotline this week is basically a store-brand version of the absolutely incredible episode of The Expanse where Naomi is trapped on a derelict ship by herself...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I also think whatever program is running the ship and whatever we saw at the end are different, and not related, things so there is no conflict there.

Even if ships in this universe follow the three laws, the ship knowing the destination is physically safe for her would be enough to keep her locked out?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, the fact that they made collapse immediate and obvious with the star bridge terrorist attack in the first episode annoyed me a little bit, because, at least as far as concerns me (I'll spoiler this just in case, but it's not really a spoiler, just how Trantor/the Empire is presented in the first book) at the time Hari Seldon makes his prediction/prophecy/calculation that the Empire will fall and Trantor be destroyed in 500 years that decline and fall is not yet really apparent at all to anyone, Trantor very much still seems to be doing fine, even pretty great, and the Empire appears as strong as ever. What signs of decline there are are pretty slightm such as stagnation of science and modes of thinking and discourse and direct control giving way to indirect/independent rule on the extreme periphery (of an empire consisting of 25 million settled worlds). And that's part of what makes Hari Seldon appeara so suspect, not that he's stating something that's obvious to all who will just open their eyes, but that he's predicting, and preparing for, the fall of a civilization long before it's begun to be obvious that this is what's going to happen, which makes people anxious, uncomfortable and angry.

I dunno, it didn't look like America was done after :911: but here we are, just twenty years later...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Sort of, but that’s just a side effect. Their big piece of leverage was they still could use nuclear power when the rest of the Periphery had lost the ability to produce and maintain nuclear devices.

:actually:
You spelled "atomics" incorrectly.
:crossarms:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
it's not the show's fault that smartphones have ruined your attention span :nallears:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

It looked like every Hologram we've seen so far, so its a hologram. So we'll have Hologram Hari, will he have an H on his forhead?

Also, its probably a good idea in a galaxy spanning space empire to have a "galatic standard time" and why not your homeworlds calander? Even if its lost you still have a standard time.

Something that bugs me about the Huntress's plan, is yea she killed a bunch of wiener scientists and scholars, and took down one idiot Imperial ship, so what? There's probably ten thousand of the same ships out there, maybe if they were trying to disable it so they could sneak to Trantor and do some revenging on the Clone Zone, that would make sense. But it seems really silly from where we are now.

That's kind of like asking "why did the warlords of Mogadishu shoot down a blackhawk?"

Sometimes just hurting your enemy is the only goal.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Was that part of an elaborate plan or was it a target of opportunity?

Yea that's the other thing, ship went to a place having an issue, it didn't come back, something serious is going down so send more ships ready to take on whatever going on. Something tells me the corvettes would not be able to handle the imperial warship in an open fight.

Both. They had been trained by agents of OBL in how to use RPGs to take down US military choppers, but the unprepared raid provided a perfect opportunity, which was seized.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Mogadishu_(1993)

Speaking of, given Empire's opinions on the Foundation, I'm not certain he is going to view a missing, Imperial warship sent to a planet of ~rebels~ as anything other than "those frackin' scientists blew up my toy boat!"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

CainFortea posted:

So The Foundation knows the plan and is "following" it?

I mean, it certainly seems like a flaw, to me, that the people who are saying the Empire is in imminent danger of collapse are relying on the Empire for safety and security!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I think it’s kind of funny that some people (book readers) are still mad at Salvor looking directly into the camera and going “why am I special???” when it is obvious from the book’s sequels and prequels that they are bringing in the Second Foundation elements early. My guess, from what happened in the books, is that the SF is sending agents to manipulate events towards the planned outcome, which is why Salvor’s bf let her dad sacrifice himself to blow up the corvettes: it was the “best outcome.”

Also, pretty cool that the Anacreons all flew Federal Corvettes from a Elite Dangerous! :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

syense posted:

So far the only good reading the books has done for me is give me a lovely list of proper nouns that appear. That's cool too I guess.

Still haven’t heard “atomics.” :colbert:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: the thread isn't even that bad this week. :crossarms:

This thread's bones/no bones is Lee Pace/No Lee Pace.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
you ever notice how brother day walks like this
*imitates walk*
but brother dawn walks like this???
*imitates a different walk*

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I’m pretty sure we’re supposed to think that she managed to be awake because she has a special brain, not the other way around, but I definitely agree that it’s ambiguous.

Here is my spaghetti at the wall prediction: she’s a robit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Everything with Empire was great! As soon as the gardener had a map I thought: honeypot. When she told him to get in the shower I was like: welp.

Loved it all, great stuff. Hoping Day sees Dawn as just diverse enough to be helpful!

But good grief that final scene on Terminus was just :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHQr0HCIN2w

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Hello, I’m Hari Seldon. The genetic dynasty of Empire is an affront to humanity. Having one mind guide us from the past, unchanging, will lead to the death of humanity. That is why I have uploaded my brain into this computer and will guide humanity through the next one thousand years!”

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Also since they didn't even really have to say goodbye, they could have gone off together.

Palpatine voice: Give in to your hate...

Are you sure those aren't real Foundation voice over quotes??

Why wouldn't the doctors in charge of the cloning of Empire be testing the fetus for any genetic drift? And how do you not have a backup?

I actually kind of like that next season Empire will be questioning the robit's motives and programming. I really thought she was behind messing with Dawn, but it seems unlikely now. Who in the world would have had the access to accomplish something like that (with no one noticing either)?

The “136 years later” would seem to imply that the show has abandoned Empire, or at least the Lee Paces we’ve come to know and love...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

withak posted:

That spaceship seemed pretty sophisticated how did she irretrievably crash it?

Not as sophisticated as that (now) 300 year old escape pod which is better than a star ship and should probably be the only method of travel!
:science:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The slow slap claps back. :nyd:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Data Graham posted:

"I have just erased your legacy by killing all 1500 people in your monkeysphere by snapping my fingers"

"Very badass but what about all the people that knew those 1500 people? Are you going to kill them too? Someone might uhhh notice"

"..."

It was a bad day to have friended that random chick at a party in college 20 years ago...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Like, almost 1500 people die every day from COVID in just America.

Less than 1600 people in an Empire of trillions probably isn't even a percentage of the people Empire's security forces kill in a day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Rutibex posted:

Trantor is supposed to be the city of ancient Rome, with its population of 1 million and its need to import grain from Egypt. Which makes the Second Foundation the Catholic Church?

I always wondered what the Foundation was supposed to be in this historical analogy. Maybe England? Britannia is kind of like Terminus.

Probably a mid-century's view of the Hellenized Middle East to match the fall of Rome perspective: a desolate wasteland with a few Imperial ex-pats somehow keeping the flame of civilization burning by saving the ancient texts before expanding outward...