Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

limp_cheese posted:

How often are people getting pizza and arrested in your town?

At that point I assume the cops just follow the pizza guy and arrest everyone they deliver to.

It's within driving distance of Arizona, so frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my ex?boyfriend I hope the kid isn’t his

This dude fuckin rules.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
My mom's side apparently had a tradition of naming the firstborn son with the mother's maiden name. My mom and dad both swore this was never an option for me, but it haunts me a little.
Mom's maiden name and dad's last name were both regular English words that would have combined to make my life really unfun in school.
Think like Ms Witnessed married Mr Believer.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Charles Get-Out posted:

I think this post hinges on whether the beer he forgot in the car is a six pack/similar or just a beer he was slurpin' while driving home, frankly.

If it's the latter and he can't cool it even when driving I wouldn't pass him poo poo.

Look into your heart. You know the answer.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

value-brand cereal posted:

The point of charity shops / secondhand stores is affordable items for people who don't have the means to buy brand new items.

It is a trend on tiktok and other sites to buy from second hands stores and resell online for maximum prices. Taking resources away from poor people is bad. The charity store people are right to do this. They don't and can't know about the OP's backstory. All they know is that this is another person appropriating resources intended for poor people.

LRADIKAL is right in that the charity store should be selling some brand name items for higher prices, but there's no info about how that business works so who knows if they are or aren't already doing that.

If people who were going to buy the items and wear them directly had bought them, would any more money have gone to charity, or would the items been more worn?
Seems like the ethical outcome here would be the OP partnering with the resale shops to get the most money funneled to good places and improve their own situation, since OP has the skills to do that. If the shops want to take their ball and go home because someone produced more money from the second hand items than they were able to (although they still got what they were asking for them), seems like that's on them. OP wasn't buying out their entire inventory and flipping it, depriving the locals of affordable clothing.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MisterOblivious posted:

You seemed to have missed the whole point of the post. Some charity shops aren't raising money for charity, they're attempting to directly serve people. OP is literally denying those clothes to the people the charity is trying to serve by flipping them. The shops aren't trying to maximize profit, I know the concept can be hard for some people to understand, they're trying to clothe people who have difficulty affording clothing.

I feel like this might be a post-username gimmick I'm missing, but do you have anything from the text to support your theory that the OP was patronizing one of these stores, and also that they purchased enough clothes to impact the target community if that was the case?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

MisterOblivious posted:

Have you ever patronized one of the stores that's attempting to directly help people rather than a store that's "raising money" for some hand-wavy "charity" purpose? Flipper shitheads found out about one of my regular shops and prices skyrocketed. It's the kind of place that gives away bread daily and bags of groceries every Saturday. Some of the prices on goods have increased over 1000%. There are literally phone apps to scan bar codes to figure out if something is worth flipping.

Ok, so...do you think OP was patronizing one of these shops or not? Doesn't seem like they had an effect on price if they did.
Is this just a thing that hits too close to home and you're responding based on your lived experience rather than anything in the story in the r/relationships something awful thread?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

limp_cheese posted:

This one so great. A man believes lesbians wouldn't like talking about women and liking the same sex. Beautiful.

You have an incredibly kind take on that one.
I figured he was only there to try to pick up bi girls he finds attractive, since he doesn't appear to view women as people.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Barudak posted:

Yeah this is my entire takeaway, if the people Im talking to do not want to gently caress me why am I wasting my time???

That, coupled with "I'm totally cool being friends and talking to people I could never have an interest in loving".

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

deety posted:

In the comments, Closet Guy says that going to her parents' house wouldn't count as stalking her because he only thinks that she's staying there, he doesn't know for sure. (Which completely ignores the fact that he drat well does know thanks to the airtag.)

Also, apparently his therapist is also telling him to leave this girl alone, but it's a new therapist and OP hasn't really had a chance to fully explain the whole backstory of why he should be allowed to stalk her.

Is that verified the same "hid in the closet and then proceeded to escalate to "as weird as humanly possible" guy?

I propose and support a federal program to create an Endowment for WTF, wherein the government pays for trained personnel to sit people like this down on a reasonably comfortable loveseat and shout "YO WHAT THE gently caress" in these people's faces until they acquire the smallest amount of introspection and empathy. They will not be allowed to leave the loveseat, but meals and sanitary facilities will be provided in place, and they aren't allowed to sleep for more than four hours at a time.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

RoboRodent posted:

The last gift exchange game I played I walked out with a box of wine and I felt pretty happy about it.

Anyway, I'll be totally honest, I love giving gifts but I am broke as gently caress this year, so I'm falling back on homemade gifts. I've made some soap (just melt and pour, but it smells nice and it's in pretty shapes), I'll do some soup-in-a-jars and some peanut brittle and I'm thinking some spice mixes, all things that are incredibly cheap but take some effort and thought to do.

I would be thrilled as hell to receive any of these as gifts, and the people you're giving them to probably will be as well.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cops absolutely loving hate having to actually do their jobs, or literally anything other than beating, robbing and shooting people and getting away with it.

That's unfair.
They also really like giving traffic tickets and assaulting the capitol.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
He used the phrase "dilly-dawdling" and what the gently caress even is that.
Dude was right, though. Saying "ok, I'm rolling out because we both agreed we were ready, and I checked in multiple times that you were ready, and now you're not ready with a minute before our ride leaves" is just good boundaries.
Also lol he made her miss the dinner. Her plan was to have him order another ride, a thing she was apparently totally unable to do for herself?

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

[b][AITA for not letting my mom use my grandmother's moniker for her grandkids/b]

I want a reality check here. I'm a Boomer, and my grandparents were Gramma [Momsname] and Gramma [Dadsname]. When I had kids, their grandparents followed the same pattern (where Momsname is Mom's maiden name and so on.) My husband's family had a grandmother who was called by the nickname my husband gave her when he was a toddler, and his other grandmother was always called "Nanny" by pretty much everybody but her children.

How recent is the idea of picking a grandparent name for each grandparent? Or is it subcultural, or has everybody else always been doing it?

I was born in the early 80s. My dad's folks (Chicago Midwest people,, second gen immigrants, for data points) were just Grandma and Grandpa. My mom's parents (southerners, sort of, and daughters of the American revolution level roots) wanted to be Granny and Papa Firstname, she because either it was traditional or she thought it was funny, he because he felt he was too young to be called Grandpa - he was in his 50s, I believe. That's how it was told to me, anyway, it might have just been a disambiguation thing, we lived next door to my dad's folks, and my maternal grandparents were way far away.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

RoboRodent posted:

It's real.

Newfoundland is... unique, shall we say.

E: lol it's on Wikipedia. Read the bit on the "screech-in." I admit that pressuring someone into it is not generally how it's supposed to go, to my understanding.

Sounds similar to a Chicago Handshake, although we have a lot less ceremony to it.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Motronic posted:

In what slice of humanity is this a normal thing? Where does this actually happen? Who does/normalizes this kind of thing?

I'm not only talking about just randomly video calling someone........

None of the ages are mentioned, but if you imagine them as late teens/early 20s on one side and late 30s/early 40s on the other, in an area so small that there's only the one CVS, it makes a little more sense.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Don’t you just keep the baby in a sock drawer for the first few months anyway?

Basically, yeah. My son is three, and he spent the first three or six months (I don't know exactly, newborns create their own localized fever dream) of evenings in a bascinet at the foot of our bed.
We're talking about people who have a four bedroom apartment in New York with kids in serious private schools, though, so their grasp on reality may be tenuous.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mr. Lobe posted:

now there's a fun expression to embed inside my brain

You're an IT person now. Sorry you had to find out this way.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ChickenDoodle posted:

*deep breath*

FUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUU BIIIIIITCH GET HER A loving EYE APPOINTMENT

Yuuuuuup.
My 2nd or 3rd grade teacher told my folks I was having trouble seeing the chalkboard. My folks, not being total assholes like that guy, took me to the eye doctor. Being a child, I had no idea there was any way to see but the way I had always seen, so I hadn't told my parents I had trouble seeing anything. When the doc did his click clacks and took the lens apparatus away from my face, I cried a bit because I had now experienced how sight should be.
Then I got glasses and could see ok.
Seems like an easy parental layup.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mx. posted:

AITA for not giving my dad's gf my change
Today Tessa kept making comments about how she's glad she taught her daughter to share and not be entitled

...she said, as she was angry she didn't receive money she didn't earn but felt entitled to.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Motronic posted:

Just. Use. It. We use ours.

If you use it and something breaks did you really lose anything compared to a thing you never use? Go "fancy" every once in a while. It's all good. It's not as special as the people you got it from thinks it was. And at least is will get used.

Same. Everything I got from older generations gets pretty consistent use. The glassware gets displayed in the inherited china hutch, and used anytime we're drinking something meant for it. I've got all my grandmother's silverware that I remember from growing up, and I tossed my Amazon basics crap and just put that into the regular rotation silverware drawer.
It's only valuable because your family, and theoretically people you loved, used it, so enjoy that value and the memories by using it too.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

ScienceSeagull posted:

How are Christian mimes different from other mimes?

Way more t posing.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mind the walrus posted:

Not worth replacing the excellent current title, but still:

I had
r/relationships: she was born here and she doesn’t act foreign

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

mind the walrus posted:

Without ages it's really hard for me to assume a condescending position of superiority and tell every single person in this story except the kid to grow the gently caress up, particularly OP and her wife. *cracks fat and sagging back and knuckles* But gently caress. I'm gonna do it.

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for excluding my wife and hanging out w/ my female friends that "ostracized" her?

but at our age (late 20's)

Go nuts.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Mx. posted:

^^""the unthinkable"" lol what a square

AITA for throwing away my autistic roommate’s food after he repeatedly asked me not to?

Easy solution here - once it's inedible, it's no longer food. OP only agreed to not touch roommate's food, things that are no longer food, but are growing lifeforms on their own, are fair game.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

My wife saves the ends and will attempt to use them, but I hate the ends of sliced grocery store bread and so if I notice that we have just ends left and there is another loaf they go to the chickens.

I've always operated under the theory that leaving the heels on the bread keeps the better bits inside fresher, so a lot of times we get down to just the two heels and then pitch them. No idea if that's scientifically accurate though.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

therobit posted:

^^^
No way in hell. I want good bread for French toast.

It sounds plausible but my wife definitely thinks they are OK to use but won’t use them until all the rest of the bread is gone. To be fair, I know tossing them is wasteful as gently caress, but I’m capable of convincing myself that if the chickens eat it then it turns into eggs and is therefore not as wasteful.

I'm not as picky with my bread as the rest of the house, so I frequently have sandwiches that are last good slice + heel on top. Doesn't bother me.
Couldn't see using the ends for french toast, though, you need bread with as much non-crust surface area as possible for the mix to soak through right.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA For giving my BF conditions on me moving in with him

3 years
 3 years
 3 years

What the Christ.

Are there comments on this one that clarify whether or not the boyfriend knows they're dating?

Silly Newbie fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 10, 2022

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

An update to "my autistic kid came home completely nonverbal". Decide whether you want to read. Verbal abuse of a child with communication difficulties. the autistic child was screamed at, went nonverbal, wet herself, and then the adults agreed to cover it up. OP's father found out, was horrified, told OP, the child is doing okay with therapy, the adults who were there are out of child's and OP's life.
UPDATE: AITA For not allowing my family to see my daughter until after they explain why she wet herself?

The abuse is tough to read, but the parents and the one grand parent absolutely doing it right is very heartening. Good on them.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Invisible Clergy posted:

Hey now, don't be hasty.

They could be a nazi and a loving idiot.

But you repeat yourself.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress is ripping into people in a college class? And who the gently caress is laughing along to the person ripping into someone in a college class?

18 year olds don't meaningfully change just because they start going to a new school.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

quantumwell posted:

It helps to have sisters. I remember the times they were bedridden with a hot water bottle and in absolute agony
from cramps. Me being the one with free time went to get them the sanitary items they were going through
like hotcakes. Never bothered me, I just felt lucky it wasn't me in that amount of pain.

Helps to have any kind of empathy at all too. It's not like that dude has never had anything happen, like sickness or an injury, that caused him to have to break a plan.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Brawnfire posted:

Canyon Dry multi-absorbancy taintwicks -- Keep your canyon trail dry & dusty

DUKE CANNON CANYON STRAPS

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's a family touchstone for OP's former friend, and it's valuable to her.

This is how that went down, according to OP (bolding mine):

Now, instead of this recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, and the two times a year it was traditionally made, it's just something she's going to run into everywhere OP decides to make it. That's the value that it had, and is now lost, because OP couldn't respect her enough to ask if it was okay to take her recipe (which she knew was secret at the time!).

Instead of the recipe being associated with this woman's relationship to her family, the two times a year it was traditionally made, and when she trots it out at dinner parties with her friends, other people get to experience it.
Acid vat all the way.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

CaptainViolence posted:

My Secret Family Recipe:

1) tear up some bread (preferably homemade but who gives a poo poo) and put it on the bottom of a casserole dish.
2) mix up a bunch of eggs and some cream of mushroom soup, and pour it over the bread.
3) sear some tiny sausages, then throw them on top.
4) cover with enough shredded cheese to choke a horse. when you think you've added enough cheese, gently caress you add more cheese.

cook it in an oven for a while. if i still love my dead grandma when i wake up tomorrow morning, then you didn't use enough cheese in your version.

How tiny are the sausages? Come on, I have a cooking blog and this is gonna make me rich.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

hawowanlawow posted:

is it uncool to call overalls overalls so you have to call them dungarees now?

That's probably a direct or auto translation from their native language.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Also "it must have just been this one half heard out of context comment that got me fired, of course there's not a pattern of behavior over my nine year tenure, nor did I dig myself a massive hole".

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
The correct play is, of course, to have brother show up with his partner, and the minute you see someone whispering behind their hand about it, confront that person directly. "You aren't about to ruin my big day with drama, right?"
Put it all on the homophobes and their bullshit. Hell, get preemptive with it. It's the groom's responsibility to go and talk to each person who might make a scene (for any reason), not gay brother.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

OhAreThey posted:

More actual content since I've contributed to this dumb derail enough.

AITA for saying “How would you know?” when my husband told our families that our unborn baby was fine?

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

edgeman83 posted:

Especially how she reflexively hid the issues when her father and father-in-law both sensed she was having issues. From the comments the pregnancy was planned, so her husband acting the way he has is doubly concerning and she needs to let other people know before he gets worse.

Yeah that one is just normalized abuse all the way down and unlikely to get better :(