Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

because there's an absolute dearth of supernatural experiences in american culture

As opposed to everywhere else where they're constantly running into werewolves and draculas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MarcusSA posted:

Since they are in Germany its either Star Citizen or one of those simulator games they love so much.

If it was SC they'd say "he's stuck in some kind of pyramid scheme involving spaceships." Hobbies involve you actually doing something.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Solenna posted:

While the hours are pretty unlikely, that adds up to almost $140 000/year, how spoiled is this girl?

I mean getting engaged at 19 after 4 months is a terrible idea and she shouldn't do it, but not because of that budget, even if they were making literally half that.

My guess is that it was a "here's what would need to happen for you to make as much money as your dad does" type of thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Conversely I feel that non-human options in most games don't have good enough writers to be more than "humans who only experience a narrow range of emotions rather than all of them" so why bother? I can just be a human who is always angry if I want to be an orc.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Is it unfair for me to ask my boyfriend to do something he feels uncomfortable with?

This is a typo and they meant to type 12 and 14, right?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

NeuralSpark posted:

I bought a small condo for my father to retire into after he spent his retirement and home equity trying to save my mother's life in the US' hellworld healthcare system. I did let a cousin stay in the extra bedroom for several months rent-free to get back on their feet after a nasty divorce. Do I go to the guillotine when the revolution starts? I can't really tell where I stand, and need to set my expectations.

EDIT: A lovely snipe. Here's my feeble attempt at content.

Of course you do, considering anything like "circumstances" would mean that someone isn't 100% ideologically pure.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pondex posted:

Looks like someone at the Guardian was annoyed at only getting one side of the story from relationship-posts (and there's a whole series):

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/dec/17/you-be-the-judge-should-my-mum-stop-being-a-christmas-decorations-tyrant

Voting is still open on who's TA. It's the mom.

This part proves how much of an rear end in a top hat she is:

quote:

When Ciara was small, she’d bring back decorations she’d made at school. I’d say, “Yes, it’s lovely darling,” then hide it around the back

My parents still have the lovely fridge magnet I made when I was five on the front of their fridge. It's ugly and the writing on it is entirely illegible but that magnet has survived nine moves because they don't judge a child's work on whether it's ugly (it is).

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I'm 40 and went to high school with my current close friends, we've stayed very close since we were teenagers and we are each others' chosen family. Many of us have moved 3000 miles from home, too. Maybe we're all just a weird situation?

No it's perfectly normal to still have friends you went to high school with. There's just people who are really bitter about high school who think that if you ever have any friends from that time in your life then you're just a complete failure regardless of anything else that have happened.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

teen witch posted:

Really starting to wonder what those kinks were

Hoping for "watch kink"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tobermory posted:

Obviously not. But picking an avatar of a different gender and then spending hours tweaking your appearance to be super-hot in your new form? That's a thing.

Yeah it means they don't want to alt tab out of the game to beat off. You don't actually think that the people who run lovers lab for Skyrim have any other motive do you?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

StrangersInTheNight posted:

I've always just taken it to mean shorthand for 'you're not from here' in a derisive sense, like you are missing the local social cues obviously and it shows

And yeh the only people who will get angry about that are the sorts of people who take being what they consider 'native' to a place as being inherently superior over those who migrate. So, racists and nationalists.

If someone gets angry at Yank, they're telling on themselves lol

Imagine being told you're not from the South and taking that as anything but a compliment.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm posting this separately because phew. Hoo boy. Hachi machi. Goddanm. The op got deleted so I hope it's fine to post a link if anyone wants to read some choice comments tearing apart the op.

reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/smd9tg/aita_for_not_going_with_my_dad_to_the_hospital

AITA for not going with my dad to the hospital and going fishing instead

I'm really thrown off by the fact that he has to specify it's a bombardier not just a snowmobile

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for refusing to financially help my family after they abandoned me even if it means they’ll end up homeless?

When I read stories like this I wonder how they resist the impulse to make the other party publicly humiliate themselves for money.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Brawnfire posted:

Seriously, who the gently caress is ripping into people in a college class? And who the gently caress is laughing along to the person ripping into someone in a college class?

There was a guy in a film class I took as an elective and he decided to demonstrate his "standup chops" by telling victims of a recent mass shooting how they should have dodged, he got ripped into pretty good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ex-fiancee poster really reminds me of those old front page articles where they went through the leaked AOL search records

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Lobe posted:

Man this girl suuuuucks

How did such a nice and interesting lady raise such a dreadful square

Her mom's mother and sister cut ties with the mom immediately when they found out, so it sounds like the mom's family are giant piles of poo poo in human form.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm tired just reading that. He doesn't schedule things except for all the times he did.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Quackles posted:

AITA for being "ungrateful" and returning the phone my husband gifted my 16yo son because he used his face as a lock?

At first I thought she meant the lock screen, and I was like yeah that's a pretty minor thing. I was wrong.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Slo-Tek posted:

So, is all the "my special day/best day of my life/center of attention" rhetoric disseminated through the wedding-industrial complex, or is this fantasy agit prop by weird misogynists who are pretty sure women would be like that if they ever talked to one?

In my hazy recollection wedding planning was about the logistics of throwing three parties for family and friends in the span of a long weekend, and just trying to get through it without loving anything up too bad, rather than policing who is allowed to have boyfriends/tattoos/bodies/glasses/medical issues near your special day.

I understand that we see the worst of the worst, but is there a trend line to indicate that weddings are shittier now than they were in the last 30-40-50 years?

Self-selection. You don't get people looking for advice on Reddit because their wedding was really fun and everyone had a great time. Just like how we don't see stories where people have appropriate boundaries and spines.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

AITA for correcting someone at my wedding?

I always wonder why these people don't have a crew of people who can toss folks out of the building for stuff like that. You're at your own wedding, if there's any time that you can order your friends to form a goon squad it's then.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

sugar free jazz posted:

They gave good advice in that dr/professor last name is the default undergraduates should use until their instructor tells them otherwise.

Its super easy to just call them what their preference is lmao

Yeah I only had one professor who really had a stated preference, he said that he had only recently finished his doctorate and so if we called him "Professor last name" it would mean a lot because of how much work it had been. Nobody ever had a problem with it because he didn't try to make it a weird power thing.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mr. Grapes! posted:

My very first girlfriend was mostly attracted to me for my watch. It was pretty stylish.

She wouldn't hook up with me if I wasn't wearing it. I only found out because I took it off to go swimming and then when we were changing out of our bathing suits we were naked so I made a move. She stopped me and demanded I put the watch on. I had to get dressed again, go back outside, get my watch and come back in while she stood there naked getting impatient because it took me some time to find it.

I lost the watch a few months later when I was sledding and she broke up with me. I was pretty upset at the time but now I'm pretty thankful that watch got lost.

Can you imagine how crazy she and watch guy would have gone on each other?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DemoneeHo posted:

Help! My Friends Let Me Live Rent-Free, but I’m Disgusted by What They Do Around the House

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

*deep breath*

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I was expecting this to be like "making GBS threads with the door open" or "gently caress swings in the living room." What a disappointment, and yes I mean the author.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kurieg posted:

I failed my first driver's test because the proctor set up the cones for the parallel park even with the tires of my car, and then told me to park in the space. I told him i wouldnt fit, he said to do it anyways, I hit a cone and was told I immediately failed and to just drive back to the station.

The second time the proctor pulled the same stunt, i pulled up next to the cones, put it in park, said "I will never fit in this space." and she said "Yup, correct." and I passed.

I got my license in Oregon and that's illegal there, which I appreciated.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Kurieg posted:

AITA for asking my sister to be a groomswoman?

This one gave me flashbacks to an ex who screamed at me for when I liked a woman's facebook photo announcing that she had gotten into grad school. That woman was my cousin and she lived in Nebraska.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Why would you have a soda at one in the morning if you just woke up

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Ignis posted:

I put multiple strawberries in my vag last night with my guy and now I’m stuck

This is where it starts, and before you know it they're pushing whole slabs of fresh dark goose meat up inside themselves. When will the government step in?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

tired gay and dead posted:

Maybe it's a thing with people who are close with their families I guess. I haven't seen my extended family in years and we don't even have any beef or anything, just nobody wants to spend the money to see me and I don't want to spend the money to see them since we don't have much in common or anything lol

There's a difference between your situation, where nobody goes to see these people, and the situation in that post, where only your partner goes to see their family and you are specifically excluded from that even though you're theoretically in the area.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bruceski posted:

My social group's nickname for a friend's kid is Raptor completely based on a joke before she was born. She's in high school now, I have no clue how she feels about it or if anyone still calls her that within earshot.

That's kind of the same story as why one of my friends' kids is nicknamed "Zardoz"

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DemoneeHo posted:

Is there a country where being 18 years old does not make you a legal adult?

It's 16 in Scotland and 20 in Japan.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

MarcusSA posted:

It’s also 2022 and delivery services exist so she could have absolutely used one of those vs texting random person in the friend group.

That is a little weird.

If she had done it unsolicited you might have a point, but the dude announced he was going to the store. Is that not a social cue where you're from, especially in your early 20s?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Batterypowered7 posted:

It's two women.

Also she specifically was told not to use formula

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

endlessmonotony posted:

This doesn't actually work if you're genuinely loathed by society for your minority status, just as a FYI.

Which is not applicable to incels, who the statement was aimed at.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How has that thread not been moved to e/n

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That one's just sad, this guy seems like he's got real social anxiety problems.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

boofhead posted:

That reminds me- when abusive people use (self-) therapy as a tool or justification for their abusive behaviour, is that still weaponised therapy or is that term only ever used for when an abuser manipulates their therapist into it? What do you call it when someone incorporates the language and justification of therapy/self-help into their abuse

I call it "weaponized victimhood" myself

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DeeplyConcerned posted:

just lol at the essential oils thing. I know nothing about them. are you supposed to smell them rub them on your skin or what? How the gently caress are they supposed to help with anything intestine-related?

Magic, they would cure it through magic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cacator posted:

r/relationships: This is the cum jar now!

:emptyquote:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

CaptainViolence posted:

lmao what

i mean, in like a hundred years maybe, but that's a big jump of the gun. someone please link me to this

Do you think the topography of Washington is like the topography of Florida?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for cancelling my niece’s college fund because she made fun of me?

Not -a- stupid joke. Several of them.

When I was around that age, my aunt lost all her hair due to chemo. I can't even fathom thinking "oh I should make fun of this person now" even as spiteful and generally angry as I was at the time. That kid is probably mutilating stray cats in an alleyway and pulling the wings off flies.