Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I work for a very large machine company that has hundreds of stores selling all sorts of very high-end construction and farm equipment, and we still run off a DOS-based system from the early 80's. Companies will cut costs wherever they can regardless of how large they are. I definitely don't think that one is a fake only based on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

TrashMammal posted:

telling you right now, putting money on it, that dos-based system is 1000x better than whatever contemporary click driven monstrosity it could be replaced with

So before the big company that I currently work for bought our tractor store, there was a very nice modern system and it was fantastic. Not clunky at all, and customers could pay easily with their card or phone or whatever. When the new, million dollar company took over they got rid of the card readers and whatnot in favor of the DOS-based piece of poo poo. Apparently one of their people made it personally. It's a terrible system that can't even keep track of inventory correctly and we're always at about 10% loss every year... but one of them made it so it's *special.* It also doesn't use chips and is generally not very secure. The company does all sorts of poo poo like that to keep their costs down.

If I wasn't paid decently for selling tractor parts, I'd find something new just because they can't even update their crap. But I can sit here and shitpost at my desk because I'm really highly paid for looking pretty during the slow season, so leaving just seems stupid.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I think it should be okay for two events to share the same date. I'm sorry if my controversial take offends anybody.

Apparently I did this wrong, I should've made my wedding like my MIL's birthday or something. Just for funsies.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Dude you shouldn't have messaged them at all. And lol at the thought that they both needed to know, AND needed the announcement to be personalized. Stupid doormat.

(I'm saying thus as a reformed, formerly abused doormat myself. Don't be a stupid doormat, kids.)

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Gwely Mernans posted:

My grandpa would tell my mom that he would never want a Catholic doctor to deliver his child because if it was a choice between his wife and baby they would save the baby.

If I could get pregnant, I would absolutely be grilling the doctors about this. I'd rather be alive than leave my husband as a single dad. This is a perfectly reasonable reason to not want a Catholic or other overly-religious doctor. Way too many doctors these days would let the mom die for the baby, and I would never, ever want that to happen to my daughter either. I'd totally be warning her that doctors can be terrible and not have a woman's best interest in mind.

There's probably a much nicer way to put that that hopefully wouldn't traumatize your daughter though. Like there's gotta be a better way to frame it rather than "I'd like your mom to live and you're expendable" even if it's the truth.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hey crappy family buddy! :hfive:

I'm the second kid my mom had, she gave the first one away (her adoptive family sucked too) and frankly we both should have been aborted. My mom would have been way better off and not stayed with abusive Catholic men.

I rarely speak to her anymore since she compared me to pedos for being queer.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Regardless I still don't want religious nuts around my body. Same group is horrible to kids anyway. Spooky and disturbing all around, much like r/relationships.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

idiotsavant posted:

It’s kind of weird of the dude because it seems perfectly reasonable to start dating someone and then bail when you find out they’re totally happy in their apparently low-level job and have zero ambition to ever do anything more with their life. No offense to anyone doing it, but if I have any of like a dozen normal life goals like having kids or buying a house a perpetual cafe manager isn’t going to be a whole lot of help to me.

Not that it matters cause he’s a trust fund kid who never has to work in his life thanks to ancient relatives; automatic rear end in a top hat

This is a mighty weird take, friend.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

"It's just piss a fetus," he insists

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Abject Horror posted:

Some women might believe fetal movements are their organs coming loose inside their body.

:stonk:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I feel like it takes a really severe mental illness to ignore a pregnancy like that. Im saying this from a stupid body that has anxiety and a touch of the 'tism among other, more bodily annoying things.

I really hope all those women got help and hopefully got help rasing/dealing with the random babies that popped out. Like pregnancy is such an absolutely horror that I can not imagine it suddenly being sprung on me and me not diving off the nearest cliff.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

But mowing is for city people. Stop mowing your stupid lawns and grow some flowers/food/anything that doesn't suck like grass.

I say this with love, as someone that sells lawn mower parts for a living. gently caress lawns.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

haveblue posted:

Buy your daughter some better bras in the correct size

Bras suck and no one should be forced to wear one. On top of that, the creepy manchild-in-training absolutely does not need to be taught that he has any right to tell a woman what to do with her body. It's weird and gross.

Grey Cat posted:

If someone told me to wear a bra in my own home they'd be eating their teeth.

And this

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

Same, tbh. I'm probably talking out of my rear end but it does feel like it's some kind of light? mild? parental neglect that they just let children run around under-dressed. It feels like the kids are too fussy to even get dressed so the parents kinda just give up, idk. :shrug:

And then the kids learn that they can get away with a bunch of things if they make enough noise...

The boy is the problem in this story, not the girl. No one should be forced to wear uncomfortable stuff in their own home, and not wearing a bra isn't "underdressed" but neither is a boy being shirtless.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Space Kablooey posted:

I guess then it's just me that wonders if there's anything else going on in a house when kids are running around barely clothed. Good to know.

Running around in a bra, but a shirt and bottoms isn't unclothed. Neither is a dude running around in just bottoms. Like if someone ran around in a swimsuit it's fine, this is even more clothes.

But then I'm a hippie and we don't take nudity as something offensive or weird. I mean it's perfectly legal in my state to walk around completely nude (see the Nude Bike Ride for more info) and when it's hot in the summer and the guys take their shirts off, I do too.

Edited to add: and I can not imagine trying to foist clothes onto a mad toddler. Like good luck dude.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 15, 2024

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah my poor husband has to wear a shirt in the summer. He's very, very pale and turns lobster-red in about a half hour. I'm from AZ and the sun in WA barely touches my skin.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

ponzicar posted:

Are we sure it's not the Minecraft guy trying to get rid of his mansion's increasingly stale wall candy?

Ah, Notch. In case anyone forgot:

Kinda sad we've never gotten an r/relationships: I went out with a millionaire but he had a candy wall. Should I keep seeing him?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hughlander posted:

AITA for helping my niece to learn how to code?

Please be rage bait, because as the dad of a young woman and an engineering director, I really hate to imagine that there's still people like that maybe even on one of my teams.

I work with a Libertarian dude that insists women should be equal but also is all about the :biotruths: of men being for hunting and women being for gathering, and women are just *built for other things and think differently.* He's raising a daughter and a son. So yeah. I'm sure you work with some monsters too.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I don't think it's a camgirl situation. Camming shouldn't cause strange smells.

Edit: the straights are never okay

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Taking her back would be an utter shitshow but I also have zero respect for a parent that makes their kid call them "sir." That's just loving weird and gross and militaristic. I feel bad for the kid and wonder what else is going on.

Maybe she just has bad vibes.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

That does sound fantastic. I mean I still hate that he wants anyone to call him sir, but he also has chickens and lives off grid so at least she's getting good outdoor skills. I can't imagine kids not being raised without hikes and outdoor stuff, that's just loving depressing.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Deified Data posted:

She should stop offering to split and just split if she knows he's broke, jfc

Some guys have this really weird thing and won't allow a woman to help pay for anything. I've had men get very offended when I tried to pay for my food and we weren't even dating. She asked, he said no, that's on him.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

"Would you mind taking this totally optional, unnecessary medication that can have nasty side-effects so we'll allow you an inch of freedom?" loving weird and gross. These people do not need to be raising kids.

E: not saying I have anything against birth control, but there are far better ways to talk about this. Forcing someone to take meds they don't want is nasty.

Scathach fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 21, 2024

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Hughlander posted:

WIBTAH if I kicked my brother and his family out for telling my daughter she shouldn't act like a who*e?

Sucks for the kids, but it's probably good for them to learn that their parents are gross homophobes and slutshamers and whatnot, and that behavior has consequences. I can not imagine having someone like that around my gay kid for a day, definitely not four years!!!

Like this dad is the rear end in a top hat, not for kicking family out but for making his kids deal with monsters for that long.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I mean the dude is pretty clearly struggling with homophobia himself, or he would have kicked them out long before that.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sounds like another episode of "Hmm thats a mighty tasty looking hand"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Shanghaied posted:

I can tell that you've never been to a club with unisex bathrooms, cause let me tell you, girls don't need to do "some crazy hover technique" to piss all over the seat, just the "normal" hover technique under the influence of alcohol is enough.

Hovering while you pee at all isn't even acceptable. You can't get diseases from sitting on a toilet seat. Hovering is a pansy move. Sit on the drat toilet like an adult. Gah. This drives me nuts.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

mystes posted:

Some random masters thesis (lol) from 2012 mentioning that mormons often give their kids unique names in no way provides evidence that the current trend of people on tiktok giving their kids unique names was influenced by or derives from mormon culture

I feel like you've never lived in an area comprised mainly of LDS people before. You can usually tell them by their name before you meet them.

If you don't live in the Western US I'll give you a pass on this one.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So I get the whole "the park is for everyone so be nice to the plants" thing, but that guy is a loving geek and I want to give him a wedgie. Like I don't even care that he's probably right, I hate his whole wanting to bootlick society thing. I bet he looks and acts like Carlton from Fresh Prince.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Kurieg posted:

if she struck out entirely that would also be hilarious

I'm guessing it was this-- she went there hoping to be swept away by a handsome and rich man, got nothing but the type of gross dudes that are all over waiting for stupid tourist women, then decided she'd settle for the guy at home.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

8one6 posted:

What equipment? Dice and pencils?

Dude is saying they don't have the right swords/spells/armor or whatever and it wouldn't mesh with the group. I think.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So my husband and I met one of our new neighbors today. He plays D&D and invited us to join, along with his non-binary wife. I'm hella excited that another NB person moved in and also that we have more queer-friendly people in the neighborhood. Once we move into the house we're building across the way, they'll be living right next to us!

I hope my womanly equipment doesn't mess up the game :ohdear:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

i want to see the list of ways they've respected her boundaries, setting aside all the actual, literal ones

She needs a lock on her gate. Like the first time my dog was let out I'd have the drat thing locked and a sign up. She's being way too neighborly.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

You don’t have to go home but you need to get the gently caress out of here.

But, like, also please go straight the gently caress home lest you spread the homophobia around like the disease it is.

E: Five minutes is about four and a half minutes after they'd get thrown into the creek at my house.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There are other options. Like into traffic.

Okay, I'll take this answer as well

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

That's gotta be a shitpost right?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I so want to know what religion he wants to convert her to

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Ah I see my reading comprehension is just nonexistant today. Dude sounds insufferable, really a bottom-tier man.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Dear Abby messes up again posted:

DEAR ABBY: My son and his fiancée are getting married next month. They’re calling it an elopement, but although they have been telling everyone when and where the wedding is, they are not formally inviting anyone. I have come to terms with that. I realize the day is about them, not me. However, this is my only child, and I have always dreamed about being part of this milestone in his life.

I’m sure this is his fiancée’s choice and he is just going along with what she wants, but it is hurting me terribly to not be there. They have also decided a reception in their honor will be held six months afterward. Who does this? Is this proper etiquette? -- BROKEN-HEARTED MOTHER

DEAR MOTHER: The rigid rules of etiquette have loosened considerably in recent years. Many younger people prefer the casual over the formal. Please don’t lay the sole blame on your soon-to-be daughter-in-law without first discussing this with your son, because you may be shocked to learn this nontraditional wedding is happening with his enthusiastic blessing. If that’s the case, quietly let go of your “dream.”

As to not being with your son on this special day, if you haven’t received a formal invitation, SHOW UP WITH A SMILE ANYWAY and offer your services as a witness. Those who attend the wedding should be invited to the reception, and if they attend the reception, they should come with a gift in hand.

I know this is like six pages back, but this one has been bothering me. Abbey tells the mother to show up anyway, even though the couple is eloping and not asking for anyone to be involved.

Am I reading this wrong? It sounds like the mom isn't invited at all, and for obvious reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

That’s how I read it — the offense taking was all decorum poisoning over it not being a full on wedding with rsvp and pride of place for the parents.

That's just stupid as hell. God this woman sucks. Her poor kids.

We almost eloped to Vegas because the little person Elvis was priced at half-off so we could afford him. No joke. Our family is lucky we didn't disappear for a week to hang with a bunch of different Elvises instead of inviting them to our yard for a BBQ.