Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

tenderjerk posted:

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

The last time their polls looked this bad one year before an election was 1981

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/SecMartyWalsh/status/1471529554917269510

10 million people who are not going to vote Democrat in 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Lord of Pie posted:

But the jobs!

Please ignore any possible correlation between increase in available jobs and number of covid deaths

3% of the American workforce is currently out sick with covid, or caring for someone sick with covid, and the Dems are ending mask mandates in their states.

I wonder if this is what it felt like watching the ineffectual government in Weimar Germany.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Crowsbeak posted:

Cerum Autem Censeo Democratiem esse delendum.

Ceterum censeo Partium Democrat delenda est

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What matters is material things, not political spectacle. Like forgiving student loan debt, or packing the Supreme Court and then affirming abortion rights. A failed impeachment doesn't do poo poo.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hillary deserves no credit for the innovative EVE Online strategy employed by Patriots Of Shariah

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Last night I had a dream that I was watching the election results, and the Democrats did not get destroyed in 2022, so I knew it must be a dream and not reality

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

If it don't actually matter, why defend the fuckin rapist in the first place? The manifold list of things to hang on him that he is literally responsible for making and "actually his brain isn't a lump of mouldy tapioca" is a bridge too far?

I do get the impulse to keep criticism accurate. He's a pudding-brained rapist, but it doesn't seem to me that he's shaking hands with an invisible person as the caption says.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Covid didn't start out as a bioweapon but it certainly got used as one. Under Trump, 1 in 30 Black seniors died of covid. According to the CDC, miraculously, the number of Black people who have died of covid since January 20, 2021 is zero.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

mediaphage posted:

i was never a huge fan of warren but i thought she’d probably be better than most

ever since the news about her lying about being native came out though i mean lol

The first Black professor Harvard ever hired went on strike to protest the fact that they'd never hired a woman of colour. They fired him, and a year later hired Liz Warren.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

empty whippet box posted:

lol they saw a chance to criminalize something that's done by black people more than any other cohort and they jumped at it. it's as simple as that, intentionally criminalizing stuff in such a way to hurt black people specifically.

"I smell menthols. Please step out of the vehicle"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LastInLine posted:

While this is 100% correct, there is a short podcast from 538 that came out a few years ago which actually made a pretty good case why the line I bolded is more or less correct. I think it's just called Gerrymandering if anyone is interested. It took a few examples of states trying varying "solutions" to address what you lay out as the problem and how it turned out (spoiler: they all had wildly bad results).

I don't think I'm going against the grain in this thread to argue that democracy isn't an emancipatory form of government and that podcast moved the needle for me in terms of taking a suspicion and giving it a little more substance.

I used to try to come up with a solution for gerrymandering by creating an algorithm that would draw a series of squares that contain the same number of people. Then I realized this is all pageantry, and the solution is to outlaw billionaires and individually owned media.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

honestly if the baby formula thing doesn't get resolved pretty quick and still nothing happens then this is the most cucked country in human history and it's not even close. I mean I think we already knew that but that will leave zero room for doubt

recently had a(nother) kid and while we're not affected by the formula shortage I can't think of anything that is more likely to get me thinking "okay who do I need to kill to get this sorted out, and where do I need to kill them" than an infant literally starving

American schools never teach that after the first shots of the Tiananmen Square Massacre, protesters fought back with homemade molotovs and stolen machine guns. They destroyed 100 military vehicles. Nope, Americans must be taught that polite peaceful protests are the only valid expression of grievances. They make fun of the French for being wimps, but the French will guillotine a king or throw napalm on a cop.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Anyone remember the name of that report on the presidential power to cancel student debt, that Biden censored? I'm googling for it but coming up empty.

Edit: Found it! Student loan forgiveness: Heavily redacted Biden administration memo becomes public

Chamale has issued a correction as of 17:55 on May 19, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Biden did everything Republicans wanted on covid and they're still whining. Meanwhile he broke his campaign promise to get the virus under control, and Dems lap it up. Corporate media is a powerful force for evil.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Platystemon posted:

*This is an anachronism. “O.K.” was coined later in the century.

"Okay" is a Mandinka phrase that means "that's right", Tyler's slave-owning cabinet members would have been familiar with it. People later made up a stupid fake etymology for it because they didn't want to admit that African languages were influencing the white man's English.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

biden is the 21st century herbert hoover and instead of that rebounding into a sort of social democratic stabilization we will just get a series of lunatic fascists seeking ever greater bloodshed until we perish in fire

He's the 21st century Buchanan. Watching the ship sink and saying "There's nothing I can do about it."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

fast cars loose anus posted:

You are correct, and I knew that, I was just invoking the legend for comparison

There's a much funnier, and true story. NASA spent millions of dollars developing their first space capsule with the ability to land in the ocean and get picked up by the Navy, requiring several boats each time. The Soviets gave their astronauts a parachute and told them to jump out after re-entry.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You know what also lowers inflation, taxing the rich

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Covid has ruined risk assessment. Driving drunk is statistically less harmful to yourself and others than eating in a restaurant. Smoking a pack a day is less dangerous than eating in a restaurant once a week. Having unprotected sex with an HIV-positive person is safer than riding a bus without a mask. And so on.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cerebral Bore posted:

those rules are intended to facilitate arbitrary mod actions by removing any need to come up with plausible explanations for punishments while providing an illusion of even-handedness, hth

The SCOTUS thread got derailed for pages by someone demanding an entry in an 18th-century dictionary that defines "arms" to mean "guns", and multiple people got probed for saying he was being willfully dense.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

California sends you a book with a self-written profile of every candidate. It's always fun reading the 11 identical "I am a businessman and I will make smart business decisions as an elected official" and the one "I'm running to be a state congressman so I can fix the loving pothole around the corner from my house."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

compared to mccain, maybe.

Ruth fought hard against segregation and once got suspended for six weeks for barnstorming against Black teams. He eventually got blacklisted and not allowed to become a manager because he wanted to sign Black ballplayers.

Elvis, uh, I guess you could say he made music by Black people more popular. Still a better person than McCain.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/WaitingOnBiden/status/1544018202639884289

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

dont irony poison yourself into voting for trump

just write "my dick" into the ballot or something

My favourite write-in candidate is "You, the poll worker counting this ballot."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There are two theories of how to win elections. One is that you need to win over centrist voters. The other is that you need to rally your base. Not coincidentally, the theories chosen by each party mean that the Republicans try to win by going further to the right, and the Democrats also try to win by going further to the right.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it the same as the old assault weapon ban where a handgun weighing more than 3 pounds is illegal but you can still own a high-powered battle rifle?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I look forward to the Democrat candidate in 2024 saying that selling plutonium to al-Qaeda is wrong, but they're letting Trump run for president so the American people can decide. Then Trump will win in a landslide.

MLSM posted:

I call it a shot because the definition of vaccine meant you were immune like polio and chickenpox but lol the rich can just redefine anything they want with impunity

This was never actually the case, it's just that most vaccines are capable of creating population-level immunity with a high enough uptake rate. With these covid vaccines, the needed rate is like 90% because the virus is so loving contagious, but Dr. Fauci got to 2/3rds and said "gently caress it, close enough."

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Center for Disease Collaboration

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

In Indiana, where they aren't gatekeeping tests to MSM, 20% of known monkeypox cases are in women. This implies that sexually active MSM are a very high risk category, but the virus is also spreading through the general population. Massage therapists, restaurant workers and schoolchildren are also at high risk of getting poxxed, but good luck getting a vaccine if you're in one of those groups.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Private Cumshoe posted:

how do you get from trans people to abortions I missed that one but democrats never fail to be idiots so I believe it

It comes from a belief that Democratic voters don't actually care about trans rights, so that fighting for trans rights will lose votes. Then the reduction in power causes a loss of rights for a group the Democrats are supposed to care about, women.

StratGoatCom posted:

Anyway, back to topic.

Anything that inspires this much unusual behavior in biden is... worrysome. I am very much concerned they're aware of something we aren't and they don't like it. There's some sort of shoe gonna drop.

We don't know whether monkeypox can grow exponentially in a school environment, and so we'll be shoving every child in the country into a live-fire viral replication experiment. A worst-case scenario fills thousands of miniature coffins by November.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hey, 30% of that three billion dollars is earmarked for soldiers who aren't Nazis!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

IAMKOREA posted:

Normally like Chris Hedges but I think the idea that Donald Trump is somehow uniquely horrible is just an absolute dogshit opinion.

Did you read the same article I did? What I got from it is that Hedges is acknowledging that the government is completely subservient to Capital, and Trump or Biden or Obama are just different faces of the same beast.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(mostly because the candidates involved in even the marginal seats are just crazy as poo poo, good job running Dr Oz)

The Democrats love to point this out as a plus. Then the economy blows up or there's a wave of shark attacks in a swing state, or whatever, and oops we elected Carlos II to the Senate.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I miss The Mooch

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

believe it or not, there are people who remain "on the fence" about candidates.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

There are only about 1,000 prisoners in federal prison for simple possession of cannabis, so Biden just freed 0.1% of the prison population. Progress!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Exposure to pollution does correlate with ADHD. I don't know if there's more type 1 diabetes in a capitalist hellscape, but there's certainly more type 2.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Coolness Averted posted:

don't worry there are probably like half as many kids trick or treating this year. It's pretty hard to integrate an oxygen tank into most costumes

Halloween is usually the deadliest week of the year for children in the US, but this year it was the Omicron peak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

HallelujahLee posted:

im sure she will swing many voters

Twenty years ago she was so influential that economists coined the term "Oprah effect" for an individual who can cause an economic shock just by talking about something. No idea how many voters still give a poo poo now, though.