Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Played through the story of Kirby Star Allies with my kid (he would have me help in some levels or be second player sometimes). Haven't ever played a Kirby all the way before. Does he always have so many friends and frenemies? It's pretty cute.

We found the lightning mage at the end to be way tougher than anything else, but partly due to my kid controlling Kirby and staying in the top corner to be safe , which seemed to make the cpu friends not attack either.

Now we're enjoying the silly little modes that unlocked. It's kind of wild to do the boss rush with guys with you and see them breaking out a ton of moves I have never pulled off myself. Heck, I didn't realize I could block/dodge until a loading screen near the end.

I tried explaining to my wife about Kirby going from a park to fighting a galaxy destroyer and she said "it's mother's day"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

MuadDib Atreides posted:

TOTK on lock for pickup this evening

I'm thinking about getting it even though I haven't gotten past halfway on BOTW, this poo poo looks ridiculous

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Len posted:

How do you tell if a performance is good if you don't speak the language? They could just be phoning it in and I wouldn't have the slightest idea.

Serious question, have you played a Yakuza with Japanese audio?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Len posted:

Yeah. I read the words and hear sounds but I couldn't tell you if they were good or phoning it in

Wouldn't surprise me if that ties in with my ADHD somehow :shrug: my brain is broken and my PCP doesn't believe in giving adults stimulants so I just have to keep winging it

Huh. Well, c'est la vie

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hughmoris posted:

I have a Switch. I haven't played a Zelda since Link to The Past. Should I buy the new Zelda, or buy Breath of The Wild first?

Play links awakening (get it from the library, like with the 2d kirbys). Im playing it with my kid and it's really fun, I like it a ton better than botw which I fell off of halfway through

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Got Kirby and forgotten land from the library. drat it rules. Playing star allies first was the right move since I understand the mechanics a little bit better now

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

B33rChiller posted:

Hey, been any new Kirby's lately?

Helped the kid beat forgotten land today. It was great. Mouthful mode is wonderful

The penultimate boss fight was real annoying though, tons of unhittable parts

I wish we had any clue what's with meta knight and dedede and the waddle dees. All we know is Kirby is trying to have a lovely day and a horrible thing happens he has to stop before going back to a nap

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Ogmius815 posted:

Dedede is my favorite Nintendo character and if he is dead I WILL scream.

I can't figure out what he's up to besides getting waddle dees to feed him. Which, frankly, seems like a good way to be king

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Fortunately it looks like my daughter has taken a turn for the worse and has a pretty bad case of pneumonia or something (she's at the doctor now) so she's sleeping with Mrs SuperNintendoUser meaning I'm relegated to the couch in the den which happens to also be near the big tv.

goldmine

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Relax Or DIE posted:

hey switch thread, I was told this was the place to ask - FFXVI comes out in a few weeks and I was wondering if y'all could advise me on what's the best amount of laudanum to slip my kids (8 & 11) to keep them out of commission for just a couple of weeks while I knock out the platinum

I recommend benadryl. It helps with their allergies and keeps them from having another asthma attack where you have to waste time taking them to the ER

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Ive seen people recommend Wuppo, it's on sale for $1.99 on eShop.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
When Kirby as pipe hits a wall at full speed he goes flat and falls over

Goty my kid went nuts for this

Also, anyone have Wuppo tips? He was very upset about being kicked out of the wumhouse

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I have a one year enrollment for Nintendo switch online (via some great goons in sa-mart) and the amount of gaming options are overwhelming.

I think I'd like to explore games as a series - i.e. do more Kirbys til bored of them, then Marios, then Zeldas. Are there any real stinkers to avoid or is the curation going to mean anything we try out is a good time?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wasn't the biggest Star Allies fan, but Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe is a remaster of a great game with a really cool new expansion/mode

I meant the Gameboy/NES/SNES/N64 ones, woops

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

An Actual Princess posted:

if fast travel will save .5 seconds over walking you’re drat right I’m teleporting

one of the simple pleasures in life is taking a cab a few streets across kamurocho

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
How the hell was anyone expected to figure out world 6-5 in Mario 3? My kid asked me to beat it and I had to use a wiki

Just had to fly with the racoon suit holding a shell, as one normally does

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sonel posted:

Figured it out as a kid by flying up, saw what was up their, tried flying up with a shell and found out it worked? :shrug:

I didn't know you could fly holding a shell!

But yeah modern gaming conveniences have changed a lot. I was interested in running around looking for a hidden pswitch and my kid kept yelling at me to just rewind or look it up

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

symbolic posted:

yeah it's kinda hosed up the game expects the slightest bit of out-of-the-box thinking

Exactly, thank you

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Stux posted:

at least you know its definitely your kid because youre both stupid as gently caress

What the!!!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Cattail Prophet posted:

Wait, so did Olimar crash again, or are these guys responding to the events of the first game and just really bad at their jobs?

yes

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Been trying out tons of poo poo on NSO and holy poo poo contra hard corps is cool. Also, completely impossible to where I don't even want to rewind because I recognize my limits

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Sakurazuka posted:

When the Konami Contra collection came out I ended up playing through that like six times in a row for all the endings and it's a great feeling once you know all the bosses enough to do them without relying on any emulator shenanigans.
Fun fact the JP version had a health meter system which they took out for the US/EU release which is why it feels brutal even compared to other Contra games. Though I still say Shattered Soldier is harder and doesn't have that excuse lol

Shattered soldier is the only game I've ever quit on due to difficulty. I could get S ranks in every level, but I couldn't do it sequentially to open up the 6th and 7th one. It made me so loving angry.

I keep.saying I'll emulate and beat it , I probably should.

Rewind is crazy compared to save states though, my kid is just brute forcing Mario land rewinding nonstop. Even for the end panel stuff, so he has like 85 lives now

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Meowywitch posted:

I don't know if Zelda really needs to be open world or if it even excels there

I don't think Zelda fits well with open world even though I'm well in the minority. I enjoyed the getting new ability in 2d zeldas, then go back around the overworld looking for places it can open up. Same as a metroidvania, but from a different perspective. Open world just doesn't lend itself well to that, at all.

I really believe open world either needs something fun to do in combat (horizon fights vs robots) or be densely packed (yakuzas). Exploration for its own sake is just extremely tedious. And other than lynels, the combat just falls flat in BOTW.
But I'm also someone who really disliked the open world aspects of Elden Ring that were a huge hit with most people.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snake Maze posted:

Part Time UFO for a fun coop physics puzzler

Part time UFO might be the best coop game on switch. It gets super cheap too

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

otter posted:

It really is a highly underrated movie.
In switch related questions my brother is finally getting one and asked me “aside from Mario / Zelda/ Kirby type first party platform exclusives, what would you recommend in the way of games that aren’t done better on another platform?”

Suggestions?

Part time UFO

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Relevant Tangent posted:

Has anyone played through Yoshi's Crafted World? Does it get difficult or does it stay as relaxed as the demo the whole time?

It gets a bit more difficult and there's one level that's unreasonably scary for kids but it's overall a very relaxed time, especially with the mode where you can always fly

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tafferling posted:

I just love that Dopefish Lives even in Mario land.
Thats a dopefish Toad is jumping onto, you can't fool me.

Wow, I haven't thought about dopefish in like 25 years. Memories!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

hatty posted:

Yoshi doesn’t deserve to stand with the real characters

what on earth

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
For Hades, after a handful of runs I recommend going into the settings and turning on God mode. It helps a lot when you're still grinding through your permanent unlocks and learning how all the interactions work. It just boosts your damage resistance by 2% each time you die, and doesn't ever make you invulnerable.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

eightysixed posted:

Haven’t beat dad once :v:

e: got to him once, would have won but I stood up and did the celebration thing until i realized there’s a second phase and it was too late by then.
:suicide:

You should be beating him by your 30th run and consistently by your 40th. Runs are like 20 minutes once you know what you're doing.

Turn on God mode, it's just damage reduction.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Astro7x posted:

Being a grown up means playing Luigi’s Mansion 3 with your kid and always having to be Gooigi

:sigh: still haven't beaten it due to that

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Don't forget there's a Pikmin 4 Tetris 99 theme this weekend. It's a really nice theme. I noticed I missed both 23 and 25 (both Kirby themes) and that they didn't do a TotK one interestingly enough. I hope they'll put some of old ones for 'sale' again.

Won in 4 matches despite not doing Tetris in a bit. I've slowed down a bit but it's like riding a bike. Got top 30 twice and made it to 5th and 11th otherwise.

How much Tetris have you played? I made it to top 50 once and thought I did well

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

100YrsofAttitude posted:

In my life A LOT. Recently not so much. I’ve gotten first in 3 separate occasions by just having good fundamentals. I don’t bother much with the targeting thing. I was playing handheld too which tends to slow me down a bit too.

Tetris is a top 5 greatest of all time for me if it’s not top 3.

I think it's the greatest game ever made and nothing is even close. It's one of the most intuitive yet has stayed exciting for almost 4 full decades. I'm just not that good at it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Oxyclean posted:

I mean sure, but I just want to rant about how we don't get Burnout style racing games anymore. Or car combat stuff like Twisted Metal or Carmaggedon.

like, Burnout is closer to Mario Kart then it is Forza. I feel like there's a bit of lack of more arcadey racers these days, or the ones that are arcadey still lean pretty towards "you're not allowed to gently caress up the cars"

Does Wreckfest not count?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Got just dance 2023 for $15 on prime day. Family is enjoying it, but how the heck does it work? One song I can just do the hand movements and do great, then the next that gets me nothing

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It just makes it all up, it's random

I'm guessing that it's because I went from a right hand joycon held in my right hand to a left hand one in my left hand. And that it was NOT that I was better at dancing to Taylor Swift than to MC Hammer. Far from it!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I saw the first yooka-laylee and yokus island express are on sale in switch shop for $3.99 each. Worth picking up for a kid who's engrossed with the old Mario games right now?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Whoa, my wife wanted Pikmin 4 and I just noticed it's only $43 at Walmart. Probably won't be this cheap on Nintendo estore for another 5 years

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
My kid bought Mario maker 2 with his saved up money and Im proud to say he got some likes and even a comment on the goofy little kid levels he uploaded. I have no idea how people are finding his levels but good for Nintendo for promoting them in whatever way they're doing it. Proud parent moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a "new" playlist that I'm sure you've seen, and I think it kind of gets rotated out very often. There are people in the MM2 community who just want to rack up "first clears" (which is a stat for how many times you've been the first person to clear a level), and also world records. Not saying they weren't interested but it's a lot easier to get a level played by randoms if it has a 0/0 clear rate (successes/attempts) than if it has anything higher than that.

Also, post the codes!

Edit: here's our official SMM2 thread.
Thanks folks I'll do that! It's fun seeing the 7 year old excitement and their ideas of what a level should be, because they make no sense

His super world of 5 courses is 1WG-HK4-J1H

The levels:
Goomba sea: DN4-VNR-K8G

Docter Mario NDB-XJ4-SLG

Mairo2: 67T-5HJ-HRG

On off contraptioner: J87-W6P-PQG

Piranha plant tower: DVY-YVX-6GF

Docter Mario again: JVL-2HN-6XG

On off koopo business : JLQ-BWY-BKF

Huddersfield: X88-3RS-TGG

Likes and comments with stickers are much appreciated

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 14, 2023