Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
As someone whose trying to make it to zones 5 and 6 without spoilers due to how I see goons hyping it up, can anyone tell me without spoilers why it's so :holkyfuck: for people? I feel like based on the goon reactions so far I'm going to go into it with the same kinds of unrealistic expectations that Marvel fans have going into the Spider-Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thanks for the replies. I will assume that I am going to Midgar to be Clouds best friend and if it's anything less I will be disappointed.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Nice! posted:

Closer than you think to the truth.

:aaaaa:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Consummate Professional posted:

Got booted from the game seconds before a frontlines roulette finished. 2K queue now. Such a waste of a Saturday was not my intention.

I would have been in like flint had I been able to log in an hour earlier. But noooooo, have to buy groceries so we can eat or whatever, and I guess these cats need to eat as well? Just bullshit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CJ posted:

How my Monday is going.

:chloe: What an unfortunate queue number to land on.

Good on you for getting your (booster?) though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I had to finish ShB when EW dropped so I'm a bit behind but holy gently caress that level 83 duty. I did it in one go so it wasn't frustrating but I'm still a bit gobsmacked. That body check animation at the end was so good it almost had me out of my seat, god drat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thetoughestbean posted:

They should have Trickster from FFTA2. Maybe call it Gambler. I want a job that throws cards at people.

Also have the trainer be a bangaa

They already have a sweet gambler outfit in the game!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Good lord. Got the cutscene after the level 90 dungeon and immediately logged off. I think I need to sit on that for a moment.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Oxyclean posted:

I think if there's any time to revamp things for the sake of new players, 6.x/7.0 seems like the time. With all the talk of 6.x being the set up for a new story arc, I have to wonder if they might just give new players the option to start there, and then have 2.0->6.0 served by NG+

But I also have no idea how they pull that off, cause it's not like they can make 6.x or the start of 7.0 mechanically new player friendly without making it really boring for veterans. Also, while they might not rely on old story hooks, it's still hard to imagine how they could create a story that doesn't lean in 2.0-6.0 at all, or at least in a way that a fresh player doesn't feel lost?

I'm not entirely sure they can do a level squish without completely obliterating the balance of old content.

e: Minor gripe, but I decided to work on my ARR Sightseeing log after finding a website that just tells you exactly when they'll be available... only now i'm roadblocked by #9 cause the weather in Gridania is snow for the event...

For story in 6.x and 7 I do kinda hope they do a reset at least of scope and scale. Once you finish the huge thing in EW, it seems like it might be a good time for a little classic adventuring with maybe some minor political intrigue, and then they can build up to another Big Deal over time. Give us some new characters and areas but let the story breathe a little bit, maybe an ARR 2.0 but ya know, less tedious from the get go. I just think it would be a mistake to try and go even bigger with the scope and (level 90 EW spoilers) our good friend Emet-Selch gave us plenty of ideas for things to see and do. We don't have to jump right into a big existential threat, this isn't Star Trek: Discovery.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

hazardousmouse posted:

I know we've got people itt already clamoring for meracydia and gemorrah

I would like at least one new area to be basically Midgar and get a bunch of FF7 inspired stuff. No I don't care how out of place it might be (level 90 EW spoilers) we went to the edge of the universe in a spaceship c'mon, anything is possible in FF14.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cheetah7071 posted:

The limited job I want to see is Azem. Mechanic is summoning shades of NPCs you've met over the course of the game using the Azem job crystal, gathered and compiled similar to how blue mage works

Biggest problem is, of course, that it's a minor spoiler to even say the idea

I will say (level 87-90 EW spoilers) I was actually slightly disappointed we didn't get to meet Azem in the storyline (not sure if she shows up in a sidequest or anything, I haven't gone back to do any yet). It would be kind of awkward I guess but I trust they could have pulled it off reasonably well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Gearhead posted:

I wonder how many people did the Dancer job quests in Shadowbringers and were just :stare: throughout the entire latter half of this launch.

LMAO I didn't even think of that. I should have leveled dancer to 90 and done the MSQ on that instead of switching out for machinist. :allears:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Discussing the 87 spoilers above, I really was floored that the universe was apparently just that bleak. Like fuuuuuck, everywhere else in the galaxy/universe just dead except for Etheryis? jfc

also lmao that he sent her out with that question rather than perhaps something more reasonable like "is there other life in the universe?" I think the original inhabitants of Etheryis were just kinda dumbasses tbh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jetrauben posted:

It's not clear if the universe is empty or just the areas Meteion observed. A sample size of 108 worlds is still pretty small.

Ohhhhh okay, I was burning through plot quickly and didn't notice there was a number given. That makes it a little less bleak I guess. At some point I'm probably going to go back and do some new game + to take the plot at a slower pace and read things more closely.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Me, at the start of Endwalker: gently caress you, Zenos, you piece of poo poo.

Me, at the middle of Endwalker: gently caress you, Zenos, you piece of poo poo.

Me, at the end of Endwalker: That I cannot deny.

:hmmyes:

My headcanon line was It's true, I can't deny that I love to make number go up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Ibblebibble posted:

Hottest take: people only dislike Stormblood because they're misogynists who cannot handle its critical mass of girlbosses (Lyse/Fordola/Yotsuyu/Yugiri/Sadu/Hien/Zenos)

People just weren't ready for Sadu and they still aren't. Not me though; give me that Sadu content.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I was gonna look myself up on fflogs for curiosity's sake because I am sure I'm real bad, but on there my character is still showing up as being on Lamia and has zero stats available, when I transferred to Excal well over a month ago to join a goon FC.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Deathlove posted:

Oh, I wasn't trying to be snarky, I main DNC and have been thinking of what I want to mess around with next and people do be liking that Reaper, and if it's similar, all the better!

I play DNC and have been dabbling in RPR and I essentially have my single target/aoe rotations mapped out the same and it's pretty easy to bounce back and forth between the two. Beyond that though it's pretty different imo but I haven't leveled RPR up to 90 yet so not sure if it changes much.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Yes lol, this was the 100% correct choice.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Clarste posted:

Ninja is funny to me since it's basically half ranged class except for some reason your basic combo requires you to be in melee. They took out the standard melee dot and added in some new buttons to press (that are also ranged) but they don't feel amazingly powerful to me, they just kinda interrupt your basic rotation with slightly more powerful GCDs. Which I'm fine with (except for the Raiju awkwardness) I just find it funny that melee attacks are slowly being replaced with ranged attacks. Maybe the endgame is to convert them into a ranged dps and solve the Scouting gear problem once and for all.

This is kinda how dancer is too, except flipped. The single target attacks are ranged but doing AOE rotation requires you to be in melee range. The dances which hit multiple targets can still be used at range though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bruceski posted:

All the AF had a lot of love given to it this time. Usually does, but they went above and beyond.

Only thing I'm not crazy about (MCH AF gear) is The white shirt/bright red ascot on the chest piece. The rest of the ensemble has a real gritty feel and I think the fancy Dan aesthetic is already served well enough by the level 80 gear.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

central dogma posted:

You swooped in here so fast to defend a tool you don't even use that I confused you for someone else. Apologies :downs:

^^ Can, uh, an illegal plugin be used to replace the Christian rock with something else? Such as the distorted (good) version when first entering the zone?

Power ballads did in fact exist before Christian rock.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The important thing imo would be enabling haircuts in glamour plates. I would happily eat 2000 gil every time I swapped to be able to have my hair change, especially because of hair clipping issues with certain outfits.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ImpAtom posted:

Considering haircuts go to the character creation screen and lock out certain things I imagine it's not so easy for their system. Which is silly but hey.

I have no doubt, but I wonder if it would be harder to do than fixing all the awful clipping issues with certain hairstyles. But they don't really seem to care about clipping issues afaict.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People overreacting to things is like, 95% of YouTube's content. The other 5% is made up of mostly helpful how to and recipe vids.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think all the races are good actually. The other day I was tanking with my max height ladybun and I ended up with 3 lalafells in a leveling dungeon. It looked ridiculous and amazing and I'm glad people have so many options.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Thundarr posted:

Alternatively, the finished Bozja mch relic (matte version) is a very handsome double barrel shotgun and looks closer to an actual gun than basically anything else in the game.

The cryptlurker gun would like a word (though it's very skinny so probably not what op is looking for).

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Gaius, Estinien, Lyna. They can just talk. :swoon:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What is the significance of the dancer changes? What does changing the finishers from abilities to weaponskills do?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Red Metal posted:

triggers circle of sacrifice for reaper and meditative brotherhood for monk

Ah ok. Well, cool I guess. Would have been nice to get some sort of buff but I guess I'm the fool for leveling two ranged physical dps classes to 90 before literally anything else.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kyrosiris posted:

Unless one of those is MCH I'm not really that sympathetic. At least BRD and DNC have legit rdps.

It is in fact MCH, but my parses for MCH have been far more respectable than DNC. Maybe I'm just not as good at playing DNC as I thought. Still the most fun class.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Do those maps really need a preformed party of 8? I almost grabbed a few maps (never done any mapping before) but that made me think it would be a pain in the rear end to do.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

3 can usually do them, but slowly. I find 4-5 the sweet spot.

Ah ok. Maybe next time I will poke around the discord and see if folks want to join in or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CobiWann posted:

It finally happened. Last night I quit a duty run before it finished in two years of playing this game.

It was the final MSQ dungeon and we wiped seven times on the first boss because the tank and one DPS couldn't grasp the mechanics. OK, fine, it happens, it's why it's the final MSQ dungeon. No one pointed fingers, no one called anyone else, we just explained and went again until we got it.

But when we wiped twice on the trash leading to the second boss, I was like "screw this" and left without saying anything. Felt like a major rear end in a top hat, and when I woke up this morning I still felt like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

I blame this game for fostering a real sense of community.

:stare: Good lord, I would be going insane. I don't think I've had more than one wipe per run on any of those bosses. Did wipe to trash once with a really bad healer who quit out of shame and got replaced right before the final boss which was a little lol.

e: Also got the orchestrion roll for that dungeon on a run last week, it's great. :toot:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Regy Rusty posted:

The first boss I've seen plenty of wipes if people can't grasp the wind and the healer also just won't press esuna.

Healers not pressing esuna does seem like an alarmingly common problem tbh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Was there any word from the Mog Radio thing about when they might resume sales/free trial account signups again? I have a couple friends I think would love to play and now that queues have been dying down, especially outside of peak hours, I was hoping we would have heard at least rumblings about it by now. I would imagine SE would like to keep selling the game.

aers posted:

The sheer number of people spiritbonding (based on materia sales volume) is kinda wild tbh. 99% of those people aren't making any return on that investment.

I've been selling pretty much every piece of materia I get below IX/X at market price and it's helping me afford all kinds of glam pieces I've wanted, plus I ended up just ponying up for Fat Cat. Gil well spent, imo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CJ posted:

they said they were going to make an announcment next week.

Leraika posted:

iirc they said there'd be an announcement in a few weeks?

:w00t:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

super sweet best pal posted:

The lentil soup recipe in the cookbook is good. Definitely take the books advice about garnishing it with croutons though. Saltines are fine too.

Hell yeah I made this last night, it turned out great. Going to make the Cawl Cennin next.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Perhaps they were having a hard time with the "farm" and figured this would be less embarrassing to admit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I actually found DNC to be a hard class for me because I end up spending my time staring at my ability buttons looking for procs and miss mechanics.

Same, I just have a hard time keeping track of mechanics while maintaining DPS. My dancer is definitely still the go to fun class, but MCH is my other level 90 job and the parses are night and day. MCH has a really solid standard rotation and despite being a little underpowered right now, it's a lot easier to be "good" at it. Ymmv