Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

EasyEW posted:

Happy New Year!

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams) Cowboys, machine workers, nostalgia , moms, BOYZENDORGS! Goldie (first panel) became sort of a break-out star last year. That is, a lot of you wanted to see that adolescent overachiever break out in measles, mumps, maybe even explosive diarrhea. Anything that would pick him up and shake him. (December 27-29, 1937)

I can't quite agree with some goons' ideas on this. Apart from a couple strips, these three seem to dog this kid's every waking step, acting like some self-bemoaning Greek chorus. Get yerselves a dog and snap out of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Doomykins posted:

Modern Mandrake, you're alright.

More generally good fanart today!

Jucika But Modern

That ain't Jucika.

gleebster fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 24, 2022

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I haven't been reading Little Lefty because the first story was about racial integration and Ralph Ellison got to me first when it comes to Stalinists and that subject.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
The Elementary Force would be even better. But this is Batiuk. He thinks Oceanaire, which should be a slightly-shabby motel in Florida, is a good name.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

And He Did! March 1, 1919

The Powerful John threw the mattress so hard he tore the paper.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

If anyone wants to hunt down the Sunday strip for 8/8/76 it might be a good one. Probably not, but it might be.

There's a dude who already does that in the CK comments

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?c...ekuCJvE21qb1uAQ

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

What's the Danish for "Red and Rover"?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

I assume there's a reason the Professor is at Frank's place. Maybe it was explained on Sunday.

Not really

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Slammy posted:

Cat Tales February 21, 1925

That kind of thing wouldn't fly in Toonerville!

Aw, who am I kidding? The Skipper probably does this every day.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And the next day:

Mama's getting impatient

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Selachian posted:

Bonus Ad!

The Alhambra Electronic Institute's offices are now a car dealership and a trade school for medical professionals, respectively.

On behalf of everyone like me who would have checked, thank you.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

BigglesSWE posted:

This really was a Catch-22 for us all. Baituk has her winning here, so we'll get a week or so of smug "Lisa's Story is the most important thing to ever happen in the universe, grovel you mortals", but if he had her lose instead, it'd be a week or so of smug "decadent Hollywood don't care about true art and can't comprehend the genius of Lisa's Story".

I'm honestly surprised he didn't drag out the whole reveal to her win over a week but I'm assuming her speech (which will be all about Les Moore ofc) will cover that stretch instead.

Ugghhhh what tripe.

Draw it out? And delay the praising of Les Moore?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Batiuk has an Al Bundy-like obsession with wringing every last drop from his four touchdowns in a single high school football game award-winning depiction of a cancer patient with dignity 25 years ago.

Which award did he win? He was nominated for the Pulitzer, but he didn't win.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And on Sunday, it looks like Mama is going to need some talking to:

And about The 'bean, I see someone here has made the same mistake I did. Les Moore did not write the screenplay for this latest movie. He wrote the screenplay for the one he pulled the plug on. Mason Jar the movie actor specifically told Les he was not going to write it this time. So his contribution amounts to having written a book about St Lisa and jerking Mason around Central Park for a few hours.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And on Sunday:

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.
A skateboard is in a closet, but these two kids have never heard of skateboards? What the hell is up with this thing? I can get a slow reveal, but this is just too much.

Does anyone else read Gabriel's dialog in Droopy Dog's voice?

And, yeah, I'm gonna miss that little bar, too.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I feel New Nancy is a fine successor to the original, which also had simple, repetitive gags that would-be smartypants make way too much of.

Furthermore,

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Well that's not so great. Thankfully it will be over soon and won't get more offensive than this.

Into Ilves is going to kill Chico Marx!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

Jan's no diplomat

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Sunday's old Apartment 3-G has Jan threatening to leave NY:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I don't find Heart of the City creepy, just uninteresting. That one character still looks like Bert the muppet in a wig, though.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

I hope this story ends right here. This is a nice ending. Overexplaining would kind of ruin it.
And deny the young lovers a kiss? Have you, at long last, no romance left in your soul?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Made me laugh.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

So Loretta and Leroy are enough clients to keep Pullman's practice going. There's an interesting thought.

And I'll say this for Big Nate. Having read latter-day Nate, at least you can say it's not another strip that started strong but sadly declined.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And a last good-bye to Frankie and his Mama.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Here's a Tom Gauld comic I saw recently that amused me.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

I actually laughed at a foob for once because the 2020s Canadian equivalent of that is hearing Nickelback on classic rock radio.

I just like the name "Arnold Roth and the Clamdip Trio"

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I was flying back from CA a couple years ago and they had 3 classic movies for viewing: Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Rocky Horror Picture Show.

The hell? Dick van Dyke wasn't in Rocky Horror.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Mister Beeg posted:

Arnold Roth is a cartoonist (still alive at 93 years). I met him few years back. Great guy

It just made me think of Arnold Rothstein, the man who fixed the World Series in 1919. That's even cooler.

And of course everybody likes clam dip, if only for the name

Fetch the memes!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
And I'm going out and may be some time, so here's the Sunday Apt 3-G:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

I'm not the biggest New Nancy fan, but I appreciate the robot getting a close-up panel.

Calaveron posted:

loving quakers are less prudish than this

I know some Quakers. Friends gently caress.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
OK, don't read this before you read Saturday's Apartment 3-G, because this is Sunday's

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Sunday's Apartment 3-G

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

goatface posted:

The children assaulted that man with a baseball bat to the head.

And then they stole his hat!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

What a clever way to avoid taking the trouble of drawing identifiable vegetables. I see why goons fall all over themselves praising this strip. Here's Bettwy's other work of genius, Sales:

Still love him?

Anyway, here's Sunday Apartment 3-g

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

He kick your dog or something?

The art has always sucked rear end but the jokes are above average to genuinely great, that's why people like it

Nah, the gags are bad-to-acceptable. And I don't have a dog. Maybe it would improve my attitude.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Do people call them "lady beetles"? I always called them "ladybugs."

It's probably an Oregon thing like "Jojos".

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

EBB posted:

Dread Pirate Arf

The old sea-dog

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Old Mandrake, because it amused me

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Zereth posted:

No, he bought dry oil wells and used the power of fracking science loving magic to turn them into extremely productive oil wells again, somehow. Using water and sand.

EDIT: wait doesn't he employ some middle eastern dude with actual magic powers

Magic, is it? One of "Daddy"'s best friends is the Great AM, who is literally God Almighty.

Anyway, here's some Mandrake to cool off with.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I always thought the title Funny Online Animals was meant to be ironic, because it's not funny at all.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

somepartsareme posted:

Batiuk is definitely about to do a racial prejudice arc with the third and fourth black characters I've ever seen in his work, who were both seemingly introduced about a week ago
Well, both characters have been in the strip for 6 or 7 years. It's just that Batiuk finally gave a name (Malcolm) to the middle-aged looking male teenager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Folks give Johnston grief, and with good reason, but that's a rock-solid gag.

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

"You're a loose cannon, Valiant! I want your gun and badge!"

Sunday's Apartment 3-G

And a cheeky thing from a man who wrote a book about a wooden robot and a log princess: