Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Interesting conversation today.

I don’t really post much, but please revive Lucky Lefty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

All of this absolutely rules

Prince Valiant

This is a hell of a long way to go for, "London Bridge is falling down, my fair lady!"

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Kevin and Kell is low key the most horrifying comic strip I've ever seen. I was already pretty disturbed by the idea of these sentient beings hunting and eating each other in what is otherwise a civilized society, but I just caught on to what the "herd thinners" are. Jesus Christ

E: it's some kind of sex thing for Holbrook isn't it

This isn’t aimed at Sagebrush in particular, but why are you reading this trash? Kevin and Kell is posted by multiple users, in giant chunks from different dates, read avidly, discussed and reposted endlessly, and the complicated lore dissected more than any other strip. And despite that, all of you are in firm agreement that it is loathsome and you can’t fathom why anyone would enjoy it, even as you all chatter about how loathsome it is. So why are you reading it and discussing it so much? I think at least some of you genuinely enjoy this disturbing strip or you wouldn’t obsess over it so much. Perhaps you should start a dedicated Holbrook thread about animals eating each other instead of constantly ruining this thread. Maybe you would have fun there. I know I would enjoy it if I never had to speedscroll whole pages of Kevin and Kell horror every day.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

riderchop posted:

you're posting on SA and have done so since 2004, op

i don't know what to tell you

Do you like Kevin and Kell? Or is it a hateread like this guy?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Keep Holbrook here. I hateread it but at least it is fun hatereading.

Or do you read it because it's so stupid it's funny to you? Or do you hate it and want to expose it as trash, the way the thread treated 9 Chickweed Lane? Or do you genuinely like Animals Eating Each Other: The Comic Strip and have to talk around everyone else who doesn't?

Again, this is not an attack on anyone, but why the obsession? I don't really expect to win against "just post" but if it's this hated, why so much discussion? And so many reposts? I'm tired of seeing the most discussion of any strip wasted on this awful thing everyone seems to hate.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Thank you all for responding about Kevin and Kell. That was a wider variety of answers than I expected.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

I like when these kinds of groups have very stupid costumes, so at least you know they're monstrous dipshits from a mile away. Although I have heard that part of the point is to prevent people taking them too seriously as a threat. I don't really think that works once they've developed a reputation though.

Love it

Vintage Valiant (Jun. 17, 1951)

I'm sure you have all heard of San Marino. To my knowledge Marius here is just a fictional character, not a historical person.

It’s Saint Marinus himself. Foster left the N out of his name for some reason. Also, Wikipedia says he was dead 200 years by this time….

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Is this the same as yesterday's? Is there a new one?

It doesn’t matter, it’s the comics’ answer to :lost: All episodes lead nowhere.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
All Calvin has to do to transform into “Good Calvin” is comb his hair and be better behaved. There’s no second Calvin running around except in his imagination.

You don’t want to know about Hobbes.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Sundae posted:

I would clear out a room just to collect all the weird pinball machines we see in this comic. They're so great.

I love them, but where is this kid finding them? I haven’t seen a wild pinball machine in years.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Breaking Cat News

I usually enjoy Breaking Cat News, but not this time. That’s delicious and these cats are stupid.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 27, 1991)

As much as I love C&H, it always bothers me that Susie Derkins has almost no imagination. There’s one tea party when she swipes Hobbes plus the soap strips, but otherwise she’s a dull stick in the mud. She should have had at least a suggestion that she can be as weird or creative as Calvin.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Fie on you, Jack, I ain't ever readin' that poo poo again!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I’ll take Eppie over Mr. Bangs any day.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

Wallace should have been burnt to a crisp by now. Or at least be less pale.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Spring has new growth, flowers, and baby birds and animals. Fall has dead leaves, mushy pumpkins, and Christmas debt. Spring rules, fall blows.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
The “Sidewalk Scoop”? Did some kid seriously win first prize suggesting Little Lefty name his paper the Dog poo poo? I’ll bet the play was lousy, too.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Which plan is stupider, Gunk’s salad bowl/case combo or deliberately pissing off Val, Aleta, Boltar, Tillicum, and the king all at the same time?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
I can’t name all the strips I hate in here. I read maybe half of them, and don’t hate all the ones I don’t read. But if somebody posts nothing but awful strips, I’ll boot them to the ignore list. Which I hate, because I like all of you even if some of you do have wretched taste. I’m a mess. I’ve given up posting myself. I should get rid of the ignore list, y’all quote each other too much and I’m missing out on conversation.

I’ll spot you guys a strip that isn’t posted here, that was the first strip I remember hating, and that’s Ribbons and Haywire, a terrible 80s strip that tried to be Paws Inc but with dogs, and was somehow infinitely worse. I’ll bet it’s tame compared to a lot of stuff already cited.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Kavak posted:

It was a more innocent time... I think... I hope.

Please just say it was and move on. I’d rather not have half of Calvin and Hobbes timg’ed because he’s in the bathtub. It’s only been in the past ten or twenty years that they stopped showing bare-bottomed kids in the occasional comic. Nobody cared then. It’s depressing we have to care now.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

i simply cannot read arnold because i find the art so utterly repellant. it might have to best writing in the world but i refuse to give in

This is true. It also describes a lot of strips, like Our Boarding House and Life in Hell and a bunch of others, that beg the question of whether they would be better as short stories instead of a lot of blather hanging over a static picture.

All that talk can be well written, but if the art could be made with a stamp every time, half the job is a failure.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

Rocky and Bullwinkle

This is already the best thing in the whole thread. Not only is the tone of the show and the characters correct, there’s some neat visual gags like Boris in a high chair or the Hertz guy tossing Bullwinkle into the car. Thank you, man.

I can also see why it might not have been a success. As a kid, I received a small pile of random comics from my older brothers that included a first issue of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I had never seen the show, so it was impenetrable. Later I saw some episodes, revisited the comic, and it clicked. Both the comic book and this strip read just like a script of an episode.

So if you didn’t like this, everyone, go watch some Bullwinkle and come back to it. It’s too good to miss.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

“Shmake.”

This is exactly why I hate Mutts and have no patience for it.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 2, 1939)

My brain saw that one kid as having a weasel’s head and it’s still hurting me.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the soviet spies are working for a nazi???

They’re not Soviets or Nazis. Boris, Natasha, and Fearless Leader are from Pottsylvania. It’s the most corrupt and crooked country on Earth, and proud of it. It’s also a pastiche of evil foreigner stereotypes. We occasionally see life in Pottsylvania on the show, and it’s always dull, suspicious, and mean-spirited. It moves around on maps to avoid slurring any single country: usually Pottsylvania is landlocked, but if boats are headed there, it’ll be on the Adriatic.

Outside the serial adventures, you never see Pottsylvania, and Boris and Natasha are just two more players in whatever skit the show has going. They’re always antagonists because they like being the bad guys. I can’t remember seeing Fearless Leader in one of those, but he wasn’t used all that frequently anyway.

Edit: Boris’s favorite swear word is “Raskolnikov!”

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

PetraCore posted:

There have been plot points recently?

Has there ever been a plot point? I gave up on Blind Alley because it kept threatening a plot and never delivering.

Serious question: what is the plot to Blind Alley? Can anyone summarize it, or does the plot just not exist and this is Lost: The Comic Strip?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Blind Alley is slice of life anime. There's no plot, you're in it for the character moments. The author keeps going "There's going to be a plot!" but never follows up on it, so it's best to just ignore it exists like the author does.

I like Blind Alley but if you want things to happen in your comic strips it is not for you.

Thank you, mate! I felt like there had to be a plot because I had seen things like the robot birds, but I can now permanently wash my hands of Blind Alley.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 11, 1953)

But…Sussex is named for the (Southern) Saxons.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

newspaper mods please change the name of this strip to...I dunno, "The Boring People Hangout Hour."

Rex Morgan, MD has not appeared in Rex Morgan, MD in a month and a half. He was last seen in the 9/11 Sunday strip (:911:) in a wordless cameo. The last time he spoke on panel was two weeks before that, when they put a button on the "Married seniors have dueling cardiac episodes" series. That was also the last time this strip was about medical drama in any way.

None of this matters in the slightest; newspapers are dead, funnies are dead, this forum is dead. But your author is clearly done with the premise of "a small-town doctor interacts with patients," just acknowledge this and say "Alright this strip is now called 'Glenwood, USA' and it's just going to be a pleasant, low-key, toothless slice-of-life domestic dramedy going forward."

Does Judge Parker bother you like this?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Even animated, late stage Chuck Jones is awful. Check out his version of The Jungle Book if you want to see animation smirk worse than Batiuk. His mediocre take on Tom and Jerry does this, too. It’s an even bigger letdown when you recall his fame rests on beautifully animated facial expressions. Somehow, he forgot how to do that. I always prefer his experimental early work.

I’m curious to see Mr. Big in Bullwinkle. I know I’ve seen him before but I can’t remember what he looked like. I think he was a generic American man in a business suit.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Did Mister Beeg go on vacation?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
As opposed to now.

gently caress Funky. Can we have Bullwinkle back?

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Those fools are just lucky Tillicum isn't here.

Is Tillicum even alive anymore? I don't know who's still being used and who's been killed off.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

LvK posted:

Also come back Mister Beeg, I need more Moose and Tommy!

I’ve asked about him twice, and it’s been a month. I’m thinking now that he must have died or something. Hard to believe he’d give up Arnoldposting otherwise.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

Hey ya! I'm still around!

Just been busy with stuff, including my own projects, and also, oddly enough, Arnold itself.

TL;DR: I've been in touch with Kevin McCormick about the possibility of reprinting "Arnold" in book form. Well, Kevin agreed, deals were made, and now I'm working to get all the strips in printable format for the book. Good news is I have all the dailies, but the bad news is my Sunday files are spotty, so I'm trying to get all the decent copies of them as possible.

This also means that it'd be in our best interest to stop posting "Arnold" while the book is in the works, so no more on my end, sorry! But when the book comes out (the first volume I'm hoping sometime next year if there are no snags), I'll be sure to publicize it.

Also, since my Patreon was brought up...shameless plug, I know, but any support can help make the book production easier.

Well, thank God for that, and congratulations to you and McCormick. And don’t stay a stranger, you post good things in this thread.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 15-16, 1992)

Decades later Calvin's parents found this photo and realized to their horror that the camera didn't have a timer function and that there was no way he couldn't have taken it himself.

They’d say Susie Derkins took it. Assuming the photo exists. Hobbes doesn’t seem to have clicked the shutter.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

I actually did this when I was Calvin's age (although I didn't see the strip until years later). I have a scar on my scalp to prove it.

Were your socks a pretty teal color, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Couldn’t you guys post something good? There are too many hate reads as it is. I’m tired of seeing 30 new posts, thinking I’ve got something to look at, and most are replies about kids in the snow or animals eating each other or how rotten working in a shop is, and there’s like two posts with any fresh comics in them.