Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

Who's going to feed his fish now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_fall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

riderchop posted:

WHERE THERE'S A WILBUR

THERE'S A WAY-BUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Literally an unflushable poo poo.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CommonShore posted:

For all of the translators:

It's ok if a comic descends into nonsense in translation. That's actually interesting in itself. Just explain what the joke is supposed to be if this happens. I for one will embrace it.

I agree. The explanations were half the fun of reading Fingerpori.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

That's not a melon, it's melon bread.

It's clearly a melon.

Edit: And I was just wondering what happened to Professor Fat Lincoln and there he is!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I don't really see why the Phantom can't just walk up to them and tell them where it's safe to go and where it isn't. There no need for this "invisible protector" bullshit.

If there's one thing that teenagers rebelling from being told what to do by authority figures love, it's being told what to do by authority figures.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

In the comic before this one Liz says that that girl is wearing a see-through top and that everyone can see her bra. So it's supposed to be a bra and skirt, I just don't know if Lynn Johnston thought she wouldn't be able to get it past the editors if it looked more like a bra, if she didn't want to draw a middle (high?) school girl in just a bra and skirt, or if it's just lazy art.

Took me a moment to realize what he was doing here, and Marla has the right response, that's hosed up.

I agree with that one poster who said it was actually pretty funny when Belluso left and the guy just said "I'm not even a lawyer" and if it had been left at that it would have been good, but loving hell this is just insufferable.

Also this still doesn't make any goddamn sense! Did Belluso just send the Morgans a regular rear end letter in the mail saying "Give me money plz or I sue you"? He would have had to hire an actual loving lawyer to like, you know, threaten a lawsuit, or demand a settlement. So why didn't he just bring that lawyer? Why just grab a dude off the street and say "Pretend to be a lawyer"? Con men are actually supposed to be, you know, skilled at conning people.

I hate this loving comic strip jesus christ.

You don't need a lawyer for any of that stuff. An hour on the Internet will give you enough boilerplate to send all sorts of legal threats to people and even file complaints in court. You *ought* to get a lawyer if you don't want to make a fool of yourself, of course.

I don't think Belluso was serious about actually taking it to court, though. The plot seems to be implying that he just wanted to pressure Rex into settling out of court and just brought in the actor to apply a little extra pressure when he thought he had the upper hand.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Welp, I genuinely didn't know that you didn't need a lawyer to sue someone. I was going to say that if he was going to spend money anyway he might as well hire an actual lawyer, but I guess he didn't end up paying the guy he pretended to be a lawyer, which a real lawyer wouldn't have let him get away with. It's still an incredibly stupid plan because, well, of what just happened. The guy didn't get paid and so he confessed that he wasn't a lawyer.

I do think you're right that Belluso's plan was to just hope that Rex would be scared of the lawsuit and settle, but everything about his plan is still incredibly stupid. I guess at best you can assume that he didn't expect Rex to countersue, he just thought Rex would go "Nope" and he'd go "Aw shucks, guess it didn't work" and that would be that. Again, if Belluso is a competent con man (and maybe he isn't, but if he isn't the comic shouldn't have loving treated him as a serious threat) he should have had a backup plan or at least left room for an unexpected response from Rex.

Every antagonist in Rex has a backup plan and they all have the same one: shout "feet don't fail me now!" and exit by the nearest door (or window as Renee Belluso literally did in his first plot in the strip.)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Why is god telling Jeffy to use the handrail?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Shugojin posted:

wait so the great tragedy is that his son just does phantom things without ever putting on the purple spandex

The Phantom is actually a fervent believer in Xi Jinping Thought and is appalled that his son would fight against the PLA.

The next plot arc will be about preventing a terroist strike against a Belt and Road project in Bangalla.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This is a pretty effective plot since there's nothing more chilling to the elderly people who still read newspaper comics than the idea of a child who moves out and never visits.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zereth posted:

Why is Successful Lawyer Man getting his taxes done there.

He's so irritating that he alienated every tax preparer that could afford a roof and four walls.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Jesus Christ just stop.

Which has been going on longer - Moz's story or Popeye's demon storyline?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

At the outset, Ahern was drawing from his experiences as a boarder, but it didn't take long for the strip to catch on in such a big way that King Features poached him from NEA in 1936 at double his old salary to draw an OBH knockoff. The reason was that in the process of finessing his initial premise, Ahern managed to create one of the most indelible characters of the between-the-wars comics page.

He hasn't shown up yet, but please be patient. (September 19-21, 1921)

This sounds fun. One of my favorite reads from this thread was the stretch of Thimble Theater when Segar invented Popeye and realized that he struck gold.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Blind Alley

Support Adam's Patreon here.

Huh...

I've decided this comic takes place on the outskirts of The Zone from Stalker.

Or maybe in it...

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Somehow I picture Ollie as not walking, but smoothly hovering along behind him, unmoving, unsmiling, unblinking.

It has to be this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tiggum posted:

This is going to end with Ronnie going back to Ann and her continuing to write for him, and that being treated as a good and happy ending, isn't it?

If my theory that almost every character in Brenda Starr is a sociopath holds, then yes.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah seeing his wife get one over on him is always great. I know it's because of sexist poo poo about Everett being henpecked and whatnot but she's still the only one to consistently give him a taste of what he deserves, so even if the attitude was "This'll make my readers really dislike her" I think it makes her the best character in the comic.

I don't think Condo wants anyone to dislike Mrs True. It's just funny to see a character get a taste of his own medicine once in a while and it lets him mine domestic life for material.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise: The Mind of Mrs. Drake

I like these early Modesties Blaise a lot better than the late ones.

The quality didn't drop that badly, but I feel like a 90s one would have spent six pages chatting about throat mics and the blind guy's "vibes" where this one just gets on with the story.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Malachite_Dragon posted:

At least it doesn't actively aggravate me like Safe Havens and Mary Worth. Holy poo poo Mary Worth is bad.

She doesn't even meddle anymore! She just hands out muffins while people deal with their problems on their own.

Absolutely pointless.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Olivia Jaimes has been been doing a lot more Bushmiller style gags lately.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Forget the horse - where's Into's little hat? That's my favorite part of the strip.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

goatface posted:

The strip recently confirmed this is the 5th century, and it mentioned the sack was by the Vandals, so ~455ish (in theory). Maybe he was confusing it with the shift of the Western Roman capital to Ravenna? But that would have been like that the last time he passed through, so it wouldn't have been a surprise.

Maybe the Pope is just on his hols.

He also did a bunch of strips where Val met some Muslims about a hundred years before the birth of Muhammad so I wouldn't sweat the strip's historicity too much.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Is Daddy wearing sock garters?

I think Family Circus takes place in the same time warp reality as Batman: TAS

A lot of Family Circus strips are re-works of old strips. You can tell every now and then when it's clear that they edited out a corded phone or changed console TV into a flat screen sitting on the floor for some reason.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

I'd agree that Lottie being in this weird limbo in terms of character development is an issue. I'm as big a Lottie fan as anyone, but I do think part of the problem is she worked best as a single (main) character in a larger cast. Allison is generally good at writing sassy, eccentric young women, but they function best when they have other strong personalities to help drive the story forward. I liked Wicked Things well enough, and was pretty lukewarm on Circus Windows and Solver, despite really liking Lottie as a character. I think she (and all of the Bad Machinery kids) really shine as a whole, rather than as individual characters. I can see why he focused on Lottie, given that she's one of the more interesting and memorable (and I assume popular) characters in the Bobbinsverse, but I think pulling her out of the larger cast also kind of made the potential storylines stale. As much as I like Little Claire as a character, she also feels like she worked better in a larger ensemble.

One of the reason I like the old Bobbins and Scary-Go-Round cast better overall is that Allison is way too precious and protective about his Mystery Kids. They're good characters and he's gotten some good stories out of them, but it's clear that he's never going to put them in any real peril or non-positive life changes.

The other crews will get divorced, have bitter breakups, die and go to hell, or become time cops but Lottie will always be handled with kid gloves.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Does anyone know anything about Qrais exhibitions? I've been following him on twitter for a while and he keeps coming out with installation art projects like this one:

https://twitter.com/hobo_nichiyobi/status/1530164702416113666?s=20&t=uP84UKio3RGWesvvbcqYMw

quote:

Tomorrow, we are ready to welcome you to the "Qrais Noe Exhibition" starting on Saturday, May 28th.

This is a mysterious exhibition where you can enjoy paintings while walking around the venue with a flashlight.

The session is until July 10th (Sun). We look forward to seeing you at the venue like at night. (Iwa)

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

After all that about the oil lamp yesterday, I'm a little bit hesitant to talk about how this an adorable scene with the potential for hypothermia.

It's "Out Our Way" not "And He Did". Every one of the characters in that strip lived long lives and died in bed of old age surrounded by their loving families and a dorg.

Also, when Williams does a sad strip he always does a little poem to drive it home.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Selachian posted:

I know I've seen articles about regional variations in these; for instance, when I was growing up, it was "... the Batmobile lost a wheel, and the Joker got away." And there are like a dozen versions of "Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts."

I think that's the version they used in an early Simpsons episode.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Bibliotechno Music posted:

ˇAragones!

Yeah, idgi either.

The guy on the right took off his jacket to fight in shirtsleeves and the guy on the left took off his whole suit to fight in a karate outfit implying that he's a bit more serious about fighting.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

Is it just me or does Arlo seem uncharacteristically prudish today?

They are both well into the age where you start caring a lot about skin cancer.

The artist is too, for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote that strip after a visit to his dermatologist.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

And Katie kills herself!

Do you mean Kadia?

Her too!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

We need a version of the Arn POV strip in the modern series where he's regent of Camelot except it turns out that his inner monolog is still in a toddler's voice.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

What the gently caress is happening? This whole arc feels so gross.

It's creepy as hell and doesn't even make sense. Why would you want to own half a leg paint factory when you knew that the very thing that was making leg paint valuable was going away?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Keep that woman away from peaches.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Do any of you regular posters have any tips for a cheap and easy way of scanning cartoons out of a book?

I think I have something for the thread but it's all in print form.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

You're telling me an octopus fried this rice?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

...and I put it in your salad! Tell me - and remember, this is for posterity, so be honest - how do you feel?

Edit: And speaking of poisonings - is there a tutorial out there for uploading and posting multiple items to imgur?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mister Beeg posted:

While we're on Bullwinkle, the book contained a bunch of promo arts the syndicate sent to papers to promote the strip. One of the said arts is this one

Gotta say, wow.

Just in case anyone is missing the wow part of this one, it's a reference to this:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's leaving out an important part in order to pretend that The Man is cancelling him.

Lee Enterprises slashed the comics in the 77 newspapers it owns (including mine) to a B&W half page which is uniform across all properties. We're left with Garfield, Baby Blues, Peanuts reruns, Foob reruns, Pearls, Pickles, Crabgrass, and Luann. Everything else, including but very much not limited to Dilbert is "cancelled."

Wow - Crabgrass got through right as the door was slamming shut. Good for him!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Green Intern posted:

What!?

WHAT?!?

poo poo like that happens more often than you think!

The gun that Jack Ruby used to kill Lee Harvey Oswald is in private hands, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

What does that phrase "Niggly as an all black front row". It sounds racist, but I can't parse it.

The All Blacks are the New Zealand national rugby team.