Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I was the one expressing incredulousness at Britain and other western powers actually putting their money where their mouth is. I’ll admit this is a good start. Hopefully they continue to clamp down on the dirty money. We’ll see

If the Tories can get more money out of this than what Putin is currently ''gifting'' to the Conservative Party then they will go for it, a win, win for them. :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I think that one was yesterday.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Cluster munitions dropping 350 kg of open surstromming cans onto the cities.

Have to admit i laughed when i saw this. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sucks that the UK is doing bugger all to limit the Oligarchs in their locality but a member of parliament just named all 34 of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPHGB8zJzM

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lum_ posted:

I'm pretty sure Margarita Simonyan (who runs RT) and Mikhail Mishushtin (who's the current Russian PM) aren't hanging around London at the moment. Pretty sure that's just a list of sanctioned individuals she got off Wikipedia or some such.

Was only thinking in terms of seizing all their assets in the UK. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Until he actually does it i would never believe what Boris says, he does NOT LIKE to commit to anything until he has absolutely no choice.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

:asoiaf: That's very close range for a missile shot, no chance to avoid.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Recorded yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhZY0FZDOg Ed Nash & Prof. Alaric Searle discussing the Russian Invasion of Ukraine, 34min run time.

It's probably a bit out of date regarding todays events but it gives some background on Putin and his ideas/methodology.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Bellingcat is logging reported and verified croudsourced military sighting and incident locations

Filterable by date, country, army, etc.

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1497581992350736391?t=l-hTq38kfvRsqOCeGmD7OA&s=19

Not a whole lot from today yet, but shows movements going back to January

Going armchair general for a second on that map; reduce Kyiv, link Crimea with the two 'independent' sections of Ukraine up to their old larger boundary lines and call it a day.

If Putin doesn't do something like that he's just tied himself up to low grade warfare for decades, getting him to fully withdraw will be hard.

Sorry for the downer. :(

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I think a Ukrainian ministry confirmed it a couple hours ago. Just be happy those legends are alive.

Best news today! :cheersbird:

edit: leaving this up in the hope that they are indeed alive, brave people.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 26, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Answers Me posted:

I shouldn't think indiscriminate bombing is about to occur at the same time as this is happening...?

https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497688029808324611

Paradrop into a built up city, tricky.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like they were copying that American general who, during the Moro rebellion in the Philippines (1899-1913) had Muslim men executed with bullets dipped in pigs blood.

edited to remove incorrect info.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 27, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That was a Kremlin propagandist next to a painted bus stop. Russian forces are yet to breach Mariupol’, where the battalion is headquartered normally.

Sorry about that, amended my post accordingly, i had wondered why the Trident was showing when their symbol is extremely different. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Sounds pretty bad. I think Russia can still important off-the-shelf stuff through middlemen in other countries like China (but at a huge markup), so it's not like they won't be able to buy office computers. But losing access to custom developed asic stuff is huge. It's going to be very hard to impossible to replace these components in production.

Used to work in a factory making capacitors for cars, satellites & military hardware, if you want stuff that's military grade off the shelf you will suffer. :stonk:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shakespearean Beef posted:

УКР/ENG ❗️
Сумарні орієнтовні втрати ворога з 24.02 по 28.02 станом на 6.00:
Літаки 29
гелікоптери 29
Танки 191
Бойові броньовані машини 816
Гармат 74
ЗРК БУК 1
Град 21
Автомобільна техніка 291
Цистерни 60
БпЛА ОТР 3
Кораблі/катери 2
Засоби ППО 5
Особовий склад орієнтовно 5300(уточнюється)
👆Інформація орієнтовна і може уточнюватись, оскільки ії вкрай складно отримувати після бою, адже командири насамперед зосереджуються на веденні бою.
Крім того інформацію ми можемо отримати лише по завершенню бою, а бої бувають вкрай тривалі у часі. Надходження даних може відбутись наступного дня, а іноді і через день.
Крім того, якщо бій тривав вночі, і розпочався в одну календарну дату, а завершився в іншу, то доволі складно відділити у яку саме добу стались ті чи інші втрати.
💬 Ганна Маляр - заступник Міністра оборони України

🔘 🔘 🔘

Estimated loses of the enemy for the period from FEB 24 to FEB 28, as for 6.00 a.m.:
Aircrafts 29
Helicopters 29
Tanks 191
Armored combat vehicles 816
Guns 74
Anti-aircraft missile system Buk 1
Multiple launch rocket system Grad 21
Vehicles 291
Cisterns 60
UAVs 3
Ships/ motor boats 2
AAD assets 5
Personnel aproximately 5300 (to be confirmed)
👆Information is approximate and may be clarified, as far as it is extremely difficult to collect data after a combat, because commanders' main focus is the combat itself.
Moreover, we can get information only after the combat, and the combats are extremely long in time. Data may be received the next day, sometimes even later.
In addition, if the combat was lasting at night, began on one calendar day and ended on another, it is quite difficult to distinguish when the losses occurred.
💬 Hanna Maliar - Deputy Minister of Defence of Ukraine

Cisterns 60... that number hasn't changed since it was last published, they need to destroy more of these fuel lorries... anything logistical is good.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

You know the world has gone weird when Russians can't handle Rasputitsa . :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Blurred posted:

I don't think anyone's tried to seriously suggest that Ukraine's military can unequivocally defeat Russia's military and repel them back over the borders, but I still don't see how Russia sees itself "winning" this war in any definitive sense either. To take territory of the Ukrainian military is one thing, but how do you hold it? For potentially months, or even years until the new puppet government finds its feet? I think one big question is whether Zelenskyy and the military leaders keep fighting to the very end, and make Russia bleed for every inch of Kyiv it takes, or whether they will give up relatively early to save the city being reduced to rubble and to spare the lives of thousands? And what if resistance groups keep fighting even once the Ukrainian army has laid down its weapons?

It's easy to say "it's only been four days", but I genuinely don't think Russia expected the kind of resistance they've been facing, and were genuinely hoping to have chased the Ukrainian government into exile by now. I don't think a conventional war, however lopsided, was what they wanted at all and they are losing legitimacy at home with every day this gets prolonged. You can sell a "special operation" to relieve the Ukrainians of their drug-addled, neo-Nazi leadership, but you can't so easily sell a war which (irrespective of how much information the average Russian is receiving) is a long, costly and bloody assault on cities full of men, women and children who are fighting grimly for their very existence. This was all a horrendous miscalculation and I don't think it's too extreme to suggest that they are, to that extent, losing in Ukraine right now.

At best Putin is going to get a Pyrrhic victory... it all sort of goes down hill after that. :ukraine:

ps i do love the new smilie

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Notahippie posted:

See also: Brexit and Northern Ireland. The EU approach gets less attention than the UK because it's the result of a bunch of extremely long and boring meetings rather than one or two main characters, but while the Brexit guys were drumming up populism, the EU quietly developed a very firm line on Northern Ireland and then stuck to it throughout come hell or high water.

Nearly all of us here in Northern Ireland are sincerely grateful for the E.U. sticking to their guns, we might have been dragged out of the E.U. due to Brexit but we know where we wish to be.

They are methodical in their work. :)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

TheSpamalope posted:

said it in another thread already but it really annoys me that this idiot put himself there intentionally for his youtube channel and then took a seat that was much needed for the actual residents of the country.

Couldn't agree more, quite self centered of him.

edit: oh it's that rapist lad, didn't make the connection. :blush:

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 28, 2022

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Also, a gift from gbs

Only recently learnt that word, the smilie gave me a laugh. :tipshat:

Slava Ukraini! :ukraine:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

If Russian does "win" and occupy a good chunk Ukraine it's just going to be so easy for partisan groups to operate. All of that captured Russian equipment, uniforms etc on top of the fact that unlike say the middle east, the occupied people look exactly like the occupiers and many of them speak the same language, it's going to be a nightmare for the Russians when it comes to insurgency attacks on their troops. Of course this will likely have the horrible effect of those Russians being a lot more trigger happy around anyone that acts even a little shady.

An insurgency with the backing of the population is... well it will not be nice for anyone at all. :jihad: :ohdear:

My knowledge is limited to my own upbringing in this regard.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Would steve1989 eat Russian rations expired in 2015?

He has a more discerning palate, a 1995 vintage would be his thing.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

tractor fanatic posted:

They have nukes

Dog is all bark, no bite... but it does have rabies. :stonklol:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mikojan posted:

So it's quite possible, with what we've been shown so far, that Russian troops are getting demoralised and abandoning their equipment. Together with the abysmal logistical issues Russia is seeing, would there be a breaking point where their house of cards just tumbles and troops desert en masse?

I'm grasping for hope here.

With their current logistical prowess i wouldn't rule it out.

Congrats on the avatar. :eek:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Trump posted:

A tower built like that is pretty hard to topple with traditional ordnance. A large majority of the explosive force simply gets dispersed into thin air. It would need a direct on something load bearing to go down.

They will need a much larger explosion to destroy an open lattice.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pookah posted:

Irish.
Our lovely politicians are fortunately still at the stage when the can be forced out by being shitbags about covid regs. Nowhere is perfect, but Ireland is generally very sensible, politically speaking. We don't do extremism.

Extremism is all up here in Northern Ireland, with me! :bravo:

Seriously, he's in the sane & mentally stable country of this island.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pookah posted:

I didn't want to bring up the absolute loopers in the North. They represent hardly anyone and are crazy weirdos to the average person.

Don't worry, it's something we endure up here to make sure you have a better future than us. :respek:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

Okay, while it's relatively calm in here I have a question.

There's steadily been more reports of Azov legion capturing equipment/performing defensive actions/etc. I've been keeping it out of the thread because I want to avoid rehashing settled subjects (they're loving nazis, it's bad they're involved, unfortunately even if they were in jail they would be out now because Ukraine has released prisoners for the fight already and this way at least they're pointed at Russians).

Does this seem like a good policy moving forward?

It's everyone to the barricades atm, no matter my distaste for them. :ukraine:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If it's what that thread thinks it is, a missile frigate, it has significant countermeasures and missiles of its own aboard.

Other options could be internal sabotage or just a really badly maintained ship that gave up the ghost. :shrug:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

this seems like a really stupid idea. you want them to return home so they can tell about what they saw, using them as essentially hostage POW's isn't going to go over well

I can't see russia releasing former POWs into the general population or them contacting the public in any way either, this is nasty and cruel stuff.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Groke posted:

It's like... there's no point in trying to go for a really big naval fuckup; Tsarist Russia took the all-time trophy.

The Kamchatka can never be beaten, though it was very afraid of torpedo boats (British fishing vessels). :ughh:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Been listening & watching his vids for years, he very rarely goes further than just after WW2 as such records and schematics on ships can be inaccurate/non existent due to security concerns.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

William Bear posted:

I don't get what they're suggesting. Purple says Hungarian territory, green says Romanian. How would that work?

Oh that's interesting, i wonder if Orban was going to be/is promised that if he left the EU? :thunk:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

So the plan is now to let Russia rot as a hermit kingdom for 20-30 years until it completely collapses like the Soviet Union and then try to bring it back into the global community again(and not repeating the post-Soviet mistakes this time)? Jfc, this was a busy week for the world

A harsh possibility but letting it wither on the vine might be the safest choice... i don't make those calls.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead or alive, that man has achieved immortality. :ukraine:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I've unfollowed quite a few accounts recently for the same reason. I got sucked into a bad content bubble when the conflict kicked off that pumped me full of lovely opinions like the ones you mentioned. (Thank you everyone for piling on me when I made my first post in the other thread. I needed that wakeup slap)

I've since spent a fair bit of effort debating with some of the tankier types within my social circle, and it seems that they are under the illusion that Putinism is going to somehow create a communist USSR 2.0 utopia, be it by Putin himself or some mysterious 5th column that is going to magically rise up and overthrow him. This thought seems to make them so drunk that it destroys their logic circuits. It's just logical fallacy after logical fallacy, and them throwing literal Kremlin propaganda back as evidence. It's like talking to brainwashed cult members.

I genuinely don't get it.

It's hard to filter things out when you unconsciously land in an echo chamber. :derp:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kaal posted:

Task & Purpose released their third episodic war update. It's a good recap from a military perspective. Basically they're seeing that the Russians are setting up forward operating bases at the edge of artillery range of the major Ukrainian cities, and expect a continuation of siege tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5BAZ2bBUzM

I can just about handle listening to that lad for the logistical info, but after ten minutes i want to vomit into his mouth so he'll stop speaking. :argh:

Sorry for that mental image btw. :blush:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

SaTaMaS posted:

Is there any sign that the UK will try to get back into the EU now that Europe is under increased threat and they look like patsies who fell for Putin's plan to restore russian dominance?

Brexiteers still in charge along with a WAR!! to keep the distractions going post covid (it's still going btw), so i don't see any change till 2024 at the earliest.

Even starting to get in again will be a decade (probably three) in the making and that's being a drunk optimist... it's too much to say here but go with ''NO!'' for the next thirty years.

And here i am patiently waiting for my Northern Ireland to rejoin with Éire somewhere down the line. :guinness:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

cr0y posted:

What does joining the EU specifically gain?

Look at the UK before & after Brexit, they/we/me are going to suffer for such stupidity. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

the popes toes posted:

Farming Simulator people are making handy work of War of Tanks people. I'm looking for a lesson there but I can't find it.

Farmers have known their entire lives that the land can gently caress you up, tankers... not so much. :eng99: