Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Cloks posted:

Getting in on the ground floor to say that my posting in this thread does not constitute endorsement of other poster's activities or behavior around animals.

Besides, why do we need a new thread if covid is over?

~7500 Americans died 3/15 - 3/22 from the disease that is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

It is insanely mentally unwell to be concerned about the disease that is the #1 leading non-natural cause of death in the United States going on three years now, which our government has told us that they no longer will fund any sort of efforts to mitigate.

350-400K deaths every year is the baseline norm going forward and if this worries you, you are mentally unwell.

Apr 7, 2003

DesertIslandHermit posted:

They're going to write off people dying in their 20s-40s of heart/brain clots as bad diet choices and I'm glad to learn what social murder means and that there's a definition for this insanity.

My brother lost a 24 year old coworker to covid in late 2020 and they wrote it off as 'she was fat'

Apr 7, 2003

the mentally well spend their time making tens of thousands of posts about DotA, not worrying about some dumb disease that is over.

Apr 7, 2003

Just remember, all those joyful smiles aren't motivated by doing good by children, they're motivated by sticking it to the libs and getting back at people who are telling them what to do.

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Lmao those staff aren't coming back

Good, 9 out of 10 of those restaurants need to close

Apr 7, 2003

You don't even need to sit around and spitball about actual mortality numbers or possible future impacts of present infections. The actual (whitewashed) numbers as presented, ~500K deaths every year with little or no mitigation shown between one year without vaccines and the next with, is an utter horror show.

That puts covid by itself at around four times the next leading cause of death (accidental injury) and makes covid deadlier than anything else in the human experience except for natural end of life events.

Apr 7, 2003

Whoolighams posted:

Kinda getting to the point where if nothing is going to get better, why not give up and go about things like normal tbh

I'd kind of like to do things at some point in the future with a reasonable level of health and with my wife not dead

It's been two years, I'll wait.

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

its not going to get better. adapt.

We've beaten pandemics in the past and moved on from them.

Thing is we did it over timespans longer than six weeks and people back then didn't have capital overriding their survival instincts with 24/7 propaganda.

Apr 7, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Lol Eric Adams is rolling back vaxx mandates just in time to let Kyrie Irving play in the playoffs

Every sports radio outlet in New York has been screaming at him to do exactly this since he was elected.

Paying for a media narrative works.

Apr 7, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I remember literally telling people, a few months in, “yeah, it kind of sucks, but it’s just a few months. now, if we were talking two years, then I’d probably start thinking about killing myself because gently caress, who wants to live like that?” now I’m not feeling like that today but I really expected more from everyone.

:rubby:

It could be a matter of months now, today, if we committed to an actual lockdown, arrival quarantines and departure testing, testing and lockdowns for outbreaks, and relaxing mRNA vaccine patents.

We just don't want to, because 500k deaths a year is preferable.

Apr 7, 2003

Pink Mist posted:

How do animal reservoirs play into this

Deer have it but the number of deer that hang out in enclosed spaces with humans is pretty minimal I'd imagine

Apr 7, 2003

It's incredible how much these guys hate their fans

Apr 7, 2003

Trixie Hardcore posted:

btw thanks to anybody who said they liked the OP it makes me happy if you guys find it good or useful.

Thanks for it

Apr 7, 2003

ex post facho posted:

also, how do you even add dental and vision coverage?? all of the plans say "not included" and there's no option to add them?

If you can't add it you aren't covered

Honestly you're better off loving off from work and going on Medicaid

Apr 7, 2003

Checking my marketplace options

lol

I have worked for both of these companies so I guess it's only fair

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

The sad thing is that I've been an independent contractor on both sides of the ACA and the situation right now is still drastically better than it was pre-marketplace. At least insurance is theoretically affordable for me now instead of costing approximately 25% of my gross income.

The situation is better right now than it was in 2014 in the wake of Marco Rubio loving the ACA.

Apr 7, 2003

ex post facho posted:

basically healthcare in America is "your annual earnings divided by your out of pocket max is the number of additional years you will need to work if you ever have a major medical issue, good luck with all the rest"

I've had two major knee surgeries and my wife has had week in the hospital due to kidney failure from her Crohn's disease and I don't think we got more than $2000 in total bills from all that.

She used to get colonoscopies every year that we paid $1200 out of pocket for every time.

you figure it out.

Apr 7, 2003

I had an appendectomy in 2018 that I didn't pay a dime for. Not a single penny. Insurance covered it all. Who fuckin knows

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

My mom recently celebrated finally paying off $40k in medical debt (she's a well-paid school administrator who had decent enough insurance at the time) and basically everyone she told treated it like this amazing accomplishment without anyone batting an eye at the idea of someone just walking around with that much debt because of a medical emergency.

I've worked for insurance companies for 12 years

never pay off medical debt

never ever pay off medical debt

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

They won a settlement against her and garnished her wages, so she didn't have a choice.

well that's a load of poo poo

The general thing you do is say "I can pay $30 a month" and just get on that forever, and it doesn't impact your credit score as long as you pay that thirty bucks a month

Apr 7, 2003

Palladium posted:

this is so :psyduck: reading as a non-american

Being American is basically just getting a bunch of normal poo poo you buy set up as life-long bills

Apr 7, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Someone should’ve told Lowtax

Lowtax had a fund he owed his kids that he spent down like a dumb rear end in a top hat

He absolutely could have gotten everything paid through the forums or kickstarter or whatever but he was just a dumb spiteful rear end in a top hat who couldn't move beyond early 00s dickhead culture. I'm glad he's dead.

Apr 7, 2003

ex post facho posted:

all grim but the last one is particularly lol

~60% of all Americans who declare bankruptcy due to medical bills had insurance

Speaking from work experience poor people on Medicaid have better healthcare outcomes than middle income people on commercial insurance do. There are no crippling copays when you're on Medicaid so you actually get the treatment and the preventative care you need.

Apr 7, 2003

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

lol jesus h christ

This country is just cruelty for the sake of cruelty. That’s all we are.

Apr 7, 2003

The list is constructed such that every American has at least three. Fucks sake. I could jump on a bike and ride a hundred miles right now and I’ve got three (former smoker, over 180 lbs, drink too much).

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

In retrospect, I think I'm understating how little Americans value the lives or health of children. They aren't worth less than a gun, they're worth less than the inconvenience of wearing a free mask handed to you by a store employee.

If you've ever been involved in American youth sports you figure out pretty quickly that kids are there for parents to relive their childhood vicariously. That is it.

Children are chattel to be used for the benefit of their owners in the US.

Apr 7, 2003

https://abcnews.go.com/US/school-cafeterias-brink-collapse-brace-end-covid-era/story?id=83601600

quote:

School cafeterias, already on the brink of collapse, brace for end of COVID-era free meals
School districts face worsening shortages; from dinner rolls to drumsticks.
By Eli Cahan
March 24, 2022, 1:12 PM

The challenges have been constant, school district officials say. Some cafeterias have been unable to fill kids' trays with basics like milk, meat and multigrain products as supply chains face crippling shortages. They've been chronically understaffed, unable to compete with industry for food service workers. And now, they're struggling to keep up with skyrocketing food prices.

The one source of respite? Pandemic-era Agriculture Department waivers that raised reimbursement rates and loosened restrictive requirements for school cafeterias, often the biggest restaurants in town.

But after Congress didn't extend the waivers in its spending bill earlier this month, district officials are increasingly worried about their ability to feed America's youth.

That one good thing the Trump administration did? Feeding kids no matter what during a pandemic? Yeah, the dems hosed that up.

Apr 7, 2003

If you can't even keep kids fed in the richest society to ever exist in human history you're loving worthless, full stop, what an unimaginably cruel government we live under.

Apr 7, 2003

technically if you die that's considered being discharged from inpatient care

Apr 7, 2003

lol what the gently caress is this propaganda poo poo

NOBODY HAS AN EXIT PLAN

SAYING "IT'S GOING TO KILL 300K+ PEOPLE A YEAR WHILE WE IGNORE IT" IS NOT AN EXIT PLAN

Apr 7, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

This is part of the reason why a lot of the public has gotten on-board with COVID being over, they're really not being short-term impacted post vaccination.

Even if PASC weren't a thing, the issue with this approach is that our parents' generation will be the last one that lived into their seventies or eighties regularly.

Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually had some semblance of hope that things would actually get better. After all I had to drive an hour and wait in line for 30 minutes to get my first shot.

Once vaccination rates started to level off at 40% of the population and stalled out in the low 60s it was pretty clear vaccines weren't going to fix it.

The guys in charge knew that too, which is why they shifted to reporting subsets of the whole ("82% of left-handed white people over age 60 are vaccinated!").

Apr 7, 2003

Here's a paragraph straight out of hell:

"InstaMed, a J. P. Morgan company, released the Trends in Healthcare Payments Twelfth Annual Report - highlighting trends from the major industry stakeholders, consumers, providers, and payers. The report delves into the financial toll that the covid-19 pandemic has had on the healthcare ecosystem. Those realities have shed light on the need for providers and payers to prioritize and accelerate improvements to their payment processes."

Apr 7, 2003

tenderjerk posted:

like how does one not become a stochastic terrorist in minecraft after reading this stuff

buddy, imagine the horrible poo poo I don't post here because it can be traced back to me

Apr 7, 2003

The CDC is pushing that joke comorbidity chart as a way to say dying of covid is actually your fault and I wouldn't be surprised if the life insurance industry found a way to wrangle it into a way to deny covid claims.

"He was 55 years old, a former smoker, drank two beers a day, and was over 180 lbs. He committed suicide, sorry."

Apr 7, 2003

blue squares posted:

so many people itt know tons of people with Covid, or have anecdotes about students missing 50% of the year so far, etc

meanwhile I don’t know anybody right now with it, nobody at my work has popped positive in a while unless my work decided to stop announcing it without telling us (very possible), and my fiancé who is a teacher hasn’t had a student out for Covid since early Feb

My family all lives up in the northeast part of the state. They know I'm being careful about covid. They've all had it, some of them multiple times, and my mother got crazy sick from it. No one told me about it at all and I found out accidentally when my brother's wife let it slip on a group chat.

Apr 7, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

the dems are going to be routed in midterms worse than they've ever been routed before no matter what they do at this point

I'll vote for Fetterman in the primary, one or two local folks, and absolutely no one else. they can all get hosed.

Apr 7, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

im never voting again lol why the gently caress would you vote

There are some local people I'm voting for because I know they're trying to do good, like Summer Lee.

Anyone on the national level can eat my rear end though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Gio posted:

steven soderbergh, the lib responsible for contagion, made the first anti-caver movie.

https://youtu.be/4j3KTCuqxhg

ending
she overcomes her agoraphobia and goes out to eat without a mask

i wish i was making this dumb poo poo up lmao

It’s self-satire at this point