Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I don't think there is a good single source. You might have to do some digging on your own. Someone did make a website where you can track what properties are owned by who in NYC.

https://twitter.com/patrickctyrrell/status/1516791414453063687

this is my old landlord!

who I have won a (couple million dollar!) class action judgment against that is being dragged into judicial purgatory!

he also owns 326-338 E 100th St.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Investor brain: Did you buy a building of your own to landlord over with your settlement?

the class is several dozen people so

maybe a building in like...

gently caress i physically cannot think of a location that I could buy a building with $100k now

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But then you'd have to move to the midwest. Already rented for $600/mo and $475/mo so you can jump right into landlording!*

*Do not actually do this, do not move somewhere you'll hate for the housing prices. Though that county could use fresh blood, and you'll catch glances just being new to the area.

sorry i already did my time in the midwest

im currently doing it again, in upstate new york. catching glances too

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

OxMan posted:

Whoa dudes I'm sorry y'all so thin skinned about the amount of money you earn from your jobs i guess, poo poo. Is it in bad taste to point out if you make house buying money you're in a different social class? Cause i thought acceptance of that was kind of how solidarity worked or whatever but I'll admit i only spend hours reading so if my take from the poors side isn't welcome then I'll just go back to using this forum as a beacon of sanity i never interact with.

Can't post in the covid thread either cause if they knew how the poor immunocompromised have been dealing through the pandemic without E L A S T O M E R I C S they'd have a fit and accuse us of trying to kill them.

you shouldn’t post in any thread

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
more like

frights in Rodanthe

more like

plights in Rodanthe

:blastu:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the idea that the supply of houses is at all responsible for this mess is a nice indicator that you can disregard whatever else a person's thoughts are

two houses on my block in a village of 2000 people are full time airbnbs

two others are second homes

idk what else to fuckkin tell people, commodity housing is fundamentally unsustainable

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

keep it up, guy!! you can do it!! you're like motherfuckin Gandhi!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Kreeblah posted:

Maybe we can convince landlords that self-immolation is the key. :kingsley:

you know how Paul Ryan loved that cool band wiht the neato album cover?? youc ould be JUST LIKE THEM

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

what in affectation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ice Phisherman posted:

My magical sword of landlord slaying has a +5 against landlords.

VRBOL Sword +5

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Fozzy The Bear posted:

gently caress off back to pittsburgh in your $60k house you dumb motherfucker.
The OP that I replied to was talking about equity:

I was talking about equity. Yes, in 10-20 years we don't know exactly how much houses will be worth, but its safe to assume that they will be worth more than they are today.

Please gently caress off with your stupid bullshit. Stick to talking about your $60k house and your $100k job.

haha settle down, you’re too wrong to get this worked up

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

the bitcoin of weed posted:

equity is the sacred doctrine of the middle class you're not allowed to just point out that it is meaningless bullshit

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

err posted:

Illinois is that bad?

yeah, secondary cities in Illinois are all remnants of long-established, but then Pleasantville-era heyday boom developed, "urban" cores that took longer than the rest of the Rust Belt to die. It's sort of... like a meeting of industry and agriculture at the threshold of the plains, with a heavy lean on the last remaining public institutions that are just now being cored out. I kinda think of the extractive (in the form of calories) / productive (in the form of other stuff) industry "frontier" rusting from east to west, and it's pummelling Illinois and Missouri now.

Springfield is the seat of government and nothing else, in the middle of nowhere. Peoria used to be Caterpillar's world headquarters but they left 5 years ago for Chicago burbs. Bloomington/Normal area has two state universities one of which was chartered to train public school teachers (oops). Rockford is the second largest city in the state and managed to turn around and pick up a big UPS hub after Chrysler bailed, but is just decaying as their bet on the healthcare "industry" reverts to profit-seeking and extraction of patient wealth.

in a vacuum and a reality where capitalism doesn't make everything loving suck poo poo rear end all the time, Illinois is a really interesting place

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mastershakeman posted:

they all have downtowns, density, green space, anything you really need besides jobs. But every remote worker went someplace more picturesque. The only cold city on the list is Rockford.

in my most optimistic outlook it would take a relatively very small public investment to make all of those cities not only attractive but actually good and cool but welp public transit, internet, and healthcare is a nonstarter even in places of 100k people where the material need isn't particularly onerous. a sustainable modern urban core would be child's play in a place like Peoria

none of that hires more cops or pays CEO salaries htough so welp

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

War and Pieces posted:

are you aware of how cold it gets?

not for long! :eng101:

this is a selling point in climatehell

also Kids These Days etc back in my day blah blah windchill

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i say swears online posted:

it's on the great plains so there's nothing actually stopping giant cold fronts, they'll just likely get less frequent. two years ago it hit 4 degrees in austin, shattering records

haha Chicago is not Rockford there's a giant heat sink right there

it's also just noticeably warmer than it was 20 years ago look at this mf minimizing my lived experience

mastershakeman posted:

People are just cowards.

also this. learn to walk so your legs don't touch your pants it's not hard!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wonder how the rental market is looking here

lol

hmmmmm

Whatthe fucj just have them share a wall holy poo poo this is the dumbest style of building

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
airgapped for maximum security, material usage, and also heat loss in winter

I realize it’s probly a function of maximizing use of the footprint but lmao

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i've been thinking more and more about some sort of multi-family living arrangement as my parents and in-laws age

we're not there yet, but when/if faced with putting them in some sort of managed care situation where someone who is underpaid, overworked, and has their own life stressors is taking care of my family as a job... i dunno, i'm close enough to all of them that I would make drastic life changes to avoid it

the only thing that keeps my wife and i from doing it preemptively is that there are no loving jobs for us in areas that have actual multi-family homes we could afford

(and "affording" those houses means pooling resources with everyone because lol we never could)

having just watched my business partner go through this with his elderly mom (ten years older than my parents) it's goddamn awful and heartbreaking.

our shop is physically attached to the house his mother lived in with his sister so they made a real earnest effort to provide for her but once mobility issues became more severe than "needs a cane" it was curtains. even with two able, willing and caring people, if those people are also working full days it becomes a mess. at least they found her a local place near family friends who can supplement the facility/community but holy poo poo. A catastrophic stroke/heart attack seems like it would be a blessing.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
wow that is some Grover rear end design if I ever saw it

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

indigi posted:

Frank Lloyd wrong

:ocelot:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

i always thought that was gross when i was a kid. also it's spring water so it's cold af

tubing that river in 115F heat is amazing, it doesn't move very fast, it's only like 3 feet deep, and you just drag your beer in a net bag

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

I'm the drop ceiling in 2023

jesu cristo

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Failson posted:

I was pretty sure you had to be 18 before anyone would let you sign a contract like that, but that's my small, not-investor brain talking.

this isn’t very innoventive of you

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Steel conducts heat like a goddamn highway too, the increased insulation costs are probably going to eat any savings because with thin studs ur insulation batts aren't gonna fit properly.

sprayfoam the entire structure maybe, but then you have to upgrade ventilation and air processing (probly a good idea these days anyway)

also yeah tradesmen can't work it as profligately and unreservedly as they're used to.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

https://rafterpconstruction.com/floor-plan/dallas/

The most Texas thing imaginable, a small living space attached to a gigantic garage

appropriately named considering Dallas was the most car-obsessed and car-vain place i've ever been

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
same except in 2009 and for merging correctly. multiple guns. like something out of a movie or music video lol a buncha dudes in an escalade with spinners taller than my two-seater's doors

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nothus posted:

*Balcony not included

lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

and you may find yourself
living in a shotgun shack church

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

You can actually shower quite a bit with hot water with any kind of tank-style water heater when the power's out because you still have a big tank of already-hot water that takes a long time to get cold. But the water heater will not actually be heating water up unless it's from the 70s.

provided you have central /municipal pressure, sure

when the power to my well pump goes out, no pressure :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Beached Whale posted:

can someone who is smarter than me tell me if this looks like a bubble or is it all good

https://twitter.com/JeffWeniger/status/1683490032110260226

au contraire Jeff Weinerguy: I believe you'll find that it's normal and totally sustainable

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

maybe they shouldn’t have money at all if they’re getting duped by this level of operation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

that's not how markets work. some of those loser idiots are, in fact, moving home to have their feifdoms. custom home builders are booked solid and that wouldn't be happening if 100% of the market were institutional buyers

why not

also I still don’t understand the argument here. there’s vanishingly few wealthy people period. there’s a confluence of a bunch of things that are resulting in crazy house prices at scale (edited this in) but none of them are "there’s an insane amount of $300k webdev jobs!!"

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Jul 30, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nikosoft posted:

I can see the appeal of living in Christmasland year round

there's a whole town for this in michigan called Frankenmuth

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

builder saved money not doing a basement . but maybe that is normal in the area

absolutely normal in South Carolina

basements are abnormal in most of the country

I had two friends who had never left the state move to Baltimore at 28 years old and were like "what do I do with this??" lol it's for storing all the cold weather poo poo you need!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nikosoft posted:

lol offer accepted, I just bought a house for 815k

NorCal ftw

:thermidor:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

angled cabinet doors is a great vibe lol. like having a tiny storm cellar in your kitchen!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

nikosoft posted:

Same vibe as my viking house in Valheim, wooden supports everywhere to keep the roof from falling in

oh hell yeah this is what it was reminding me of, lol

euphronius posted:

there are cabinets … in the range hood ??

convenient storage for all the things you need to gradually get spattered with cooking oil!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
imagine the smell (having converted a barn like that for my BIL recently... decades of horse piss and dead spiders smell)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
sorry that's too big a pjoject for me the humble DIYer