Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

What is it about Nathan that attracts the most parasocial viewership?

I'd guess that it's because of how relatable he is to high-functioning nerds. There really isn't any other personality on tv like him. On youtube you have a lot of those personalities, and the parasocial thing flourishes there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The_Rob posted:

The dude and his roommate about to get Into the fight was making me laugh so loving hard.

I loved how the roommate was like "I don't know know why you're focusing on the numbers as much as thinking 'I might have met the right person for me'" which is a completely reasonable thing to say and the other guy was just so pissy to hear it. He knew there were going to be other people's kids in the house including babies and he was packing his bong. You gotta have the feeling that he was trying to saying what he needed to say to try and get laid. He was absolutely a scumbag. There's got to be a whole other story there about how he's coasted through life and I'm intrigued to know what his deal is.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Nathan Fielder has a genuine gift for sniffing out the weirdest people on the planet lol.

The power of craigslist.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

precision posted:

with all the talk about how he gets "drawn into the project" and the last episode being kept from critics, i was sure the finale was gonna be him getting married to the woman, but after seeing her, i really... don't think that's what's gonna happen lmao

Looking back on the season trailer with some context now, you can recognize some spoilers. So if you can't wait, go back and watch that again.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I really wonder if robin was asked about the events of the crash. It seems like he had to be, right? But then why would that get cut out of the episode? Maybe it was more funny to hear him mention it a bunch of times with no context. Or maybe he didn't really say anything or give any details?

I wish I could watch a 10 hour ken burns documentary about every facet of how this show was made after it's over.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Its funny how much of a pure malevolent force Robin feels in comparison to Kor or the other weirdos we got on the show so far. Bigfoot guy makes me feel safe, Robin doesn't lmao

Angela seems actually kind, but with this underlying entitlement to it. There's a big dollop of naivety in there too.

Lister fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 23, 2022

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Biggest finale shock for me was this: https://i.imgur.com/UGVsXL7.jpg

Um, what the gently caress? I hope it was just some bs to puff up an application or something because it's never mentioned. But seeing that and then hearing Paul tell the whole story again to more actors, only to hear the guy playing old Johnathan say "Where was your son in all this?" and an abrupt cut was a good laugh.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

I guess the ultimate impression is Paul is a gullible idiot who is extremely susceptible to being exploited by people who tell him what he wants to hear (they love him, they want to be his forever wife, they're going to help him get dirt on his ex, whatever) and also he's a piece of poo poo who will do terrible things when he's mad. They don't show him getting mad, but I bet when he does it's really over the top.

Tying back into him hearing what he wants to hear, think about how he reacted to the test audience. That lady was calling him a crazy and pathetic idiot but then she said it toughened him up and he was like "hey she thinks I'm tough, alright!"

Paul is just chris chan without the love of toys, isn't he?

Aye Doc posted:

i'd forgotten he actually denied even knowing of the place at all, too many insane revelations in that last episode. I'm still not sure I'd attribute anything illicit to Cadillac, likely just due to having a lot of sympathy/empathy for someone stuck in a life where some sicko is harassing and slandering and stalking them for years. I would like to find out more about what his deal really is

I'm thinking those were nights when he was getting blackout drunk and just didn't know what places he went to.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

Some of these situations kind of remind me of Curb Your Enthusiasm, but putting this show's aesthetic and music over it just gives themnd a different kind of uncomfortable vibe. Like, its hard to watch for an entirely different reason. Also Emma Stone is killing it in this and kind of making Nathan really look like an amateur hah. He's still good though, she's just doing an amazing job.

I have to think this was intentional casting. Even in the show within a show, she's clearly the more charismatic personality that people would be tuning in for. Asher seems to be creating all of their problems without contributing much of anything. Her considering why she's even with him is probably going to be a major plot point.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Art Core...velay posted:

holy smokes emma stone is insanely good

Go watch Maniac on Netflix if you haven't yet.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Funniest moment on the show so far.

I could not deal with restaging the sweater pull for Instagram. Like that’s so repulsive to me I couldn’t watch.

I felt the same way. Then you have to realize that there are wannabe influencer couples who absolutely do that poo poo all the time.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Still enjoying this show but it kinda feels like it’s stuck in one gear atm, hoping things pick up a little and it isn’t entirely vibes. The final scene was loving brutal lmao. And holy poo poo Safdie’s character is such a piece of garbage

I'm feeling the same way. It will probably end up working best as the kind of show that you binge watch. They've spent plenty of time setting up the major themes of fake "well meaning" gentrification and peoples' bad behavior leading to escalating problems. I'm ready for the first big plot twist to happen.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Martman posted:

I literally cannot comprehend how even a second of the singing scene would be a moment of levity

I laughed because I could see that being a reaction that some people might have to being on tv for the first time ever. His girlfriend nudged him and he took his shot. It was funny. As a couple, they were great for reality tv. The improv of rubbing her belly since it was clear they wanted a family dynamic was a good call imo.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Do you guys think the show had the neighbor name drop an alienware computer because it's a recognizable, pricey pc brand, or if it was because they wanted to paint the guy as a dumb yuppie since alienwares are famously lovely for the price?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm not understanding why Fernando was so upset. I thought he wasn't doing security once the coffee shop reopened? I also thought the point of paying for the jeans was that no one would know that a ton of thefts were happening there, so why do all these guys know about it? It seemed like there needed to be some extra lines or an extra scene showing that the thieves targeting the jeans store moved to shoplift from neighboring stores, too. If word got out that it's open season at one place, it makes sense that they'll think it's like that in the whole area and cause a bigger problem.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

God Hole posted:

don't forget that Fernando feels very protective of the yusheko jeans clerk, and I imagine he's under the impression that this is a very humiliating/corrupting experience for her.

Unless I missed something, I think you're mixing up that clerk with the secretary(?) for Whitney's office(?) that's right next door.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

So much happens in that ep I forgot about Nathan singing over hell yeah lol. When he sings “do you wanna get paid my N word.” I think my dick disappeared into my body.

Hearing him sing that got me to laugh out loud. I'm surprised they didn't have dougie say something like "It's just us in the car dude, you can say it. It's not a big deal." as one more demonstration of him being a douchebag as with everything else in the long sequence.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

snoremac posted:

The "good girl" at the end is creepy, like a flash of what Asher is doing behind his words. I assume Whitney's plan was to push Asher to leave and convince the execs to turn the show into something closer to her singular vision, but Asher read this and understood that if he stays there's nothing she can do about it without losing the show and uses this to upturn the power dynamic of the relationship while seemingly coming from a place of pathetic worship. Amazing writing that in an admission of how terrible a person he is he is doing something terrible.

I didn't read it as that. It seemed to me like she clearly wants out of the marriage. She was fine with doing a 180 and being affectionate again it that's what the show needed. But then Asher began acting extra repulsive with his cuck fetish and empty bravery. Once the HGTV exec made it clear that they don't really want to make the show she has in mind, it seems like her plan was to push asher away, but also allow that to nuke the show so she isn't blamed for it. I don't think asher is manipulating her, as much as he's just actually that pathetic. It was hard to read whitney's reaction since I wasn't sure if she was genuinely moved (probably not) or saddened that she's saddled with the obligation of being with such a dork and there's no way she's going to be able to get out of it without looking like an awful person.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Argue posted:

I heard the ending is very divisive and outlandish and Nathan and Benny seem to think nobody will be able to guess it; I'm gonna guess it's something like, the paranormal is real and they end up with a paranormal TV show that's a huge success for having conclusive proof of ghosts and I dunno, maybe they start gentrifying the afterlife or something while Whitney refuses to get the curse lifted because it's culturally insensitive. Or I dunno, maybe they were dead all along.

That's the word going around, but for as much crazy stuff has happened, I wouldn't say it's gone off the rails. I'm not believing anything really insane is going to happen in the finale. I did go back and watch the trailer for any bits that haven't happened yet, and there was a big indication that one of the passive homes will catch on fire. There's a bit with smoke filling a room and another with whitney crawling on the floor. This would tie into the guy with the gas range and the firehouse losing power.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

There were definitely more obvious jokes in this episode than most of the last few episodes. For how strange it was, I didn't understand how it served the plot while watching it. The reddit post that was linked above probably got it though. The biggest theme of the whole show was trying to "help" people in ways that don't help them or actively hurt them. It happens over and over throughout. I don't know about the cultural statement on it, but showing asher in need of help and the help others give him only making things worse and worse totally lines up with the theme.

I'm the kind of person that likes consistency with things either being grounded in reality or surreal/fantastic. So I think it's poor form to take a story that's been realistic (more or less) and then use something very unrealistic to make a point.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

I don't know if I'm board with reading the finale as such a tight 1:1 metaphor in the way that Reddit post is going for, but I do think it's exploring a lot of the same vibes/themes that have been a central part of the show from the beginning. In addition to the misguided attempts to help someone, you're also getting a bunch of obliviousness to/active denial of the reality of the situation that's happening around Asher/Whitney/Dougie. And after nine episodes of grappling with the possibility that there's something supernatural going on with this random child he met because of a mispackaged prepared meal and a piece of chicken in a bathroom, you get something starkly, undeniably supernatural happening to Asher, and his response is to assume something weird is happening with the house or the weather.

I didn't catch that, but you're totally right. At the start of the scene, I was thinking to myself "wait, is this something that they know can happen? Did something like this happen before?" But no, he's just trying to come up with ways that might solve the problem and are total guesses. I don't know what meaning there is behind being so logical in the face of something supernatural when before he was so believing of stuff that was probably a coincidence.

1glitch0 posted:

Wow, yeah no one was going to guess that ending.

I thought I had figured it out around the time that Asher was in the tree. Thought this was some kind of extended metaphorical dream sequence of the birth of the baby. And it really seemed to be that for awhile. The baby having trouble getting out, Asher fearfully holding onto the tree until the firefighter has to cut into the branch to free him/just as Whit is getting cut open to get the baby out, and then him flying into the sky is the baby being born.

edit: oh yeah! and the Jewish prayer/gift scene was so fake I was sure they were playing for another camera that we were unaware of. That felt entirely like a fake and scripted scene like a well done version of when they tried to make a cute instagram. It's baffling how that didn't led to anything and was maybe them being genuine?

I didn't pick up on the chainsaw/C-section, but Asher did seem to be in the fetal position as he was going into space. Maybe it was just a parallel between leaving the world and entering the world. I kind of thought they might have been presenting the idea that he's being reincarnated as his own son, although that idea is a little too far out there.

For the Jewish stuff, I don't know enough about the religion or culture. Safdie and Fielder both use Judaism in their work regularly, and I do wonder if there's something in there that relates to what the show is saying that's going over my head since it's predominantly featured several times in the show.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

wizardofloneliness posted:

Gravity reversing and falling into the sky was one of my weird nonsensical childhood fears, so this was actually quite unsettling to watch.

I can't be sure it was on purpose, but they name dropped Falling Up, a poem and title of a collection by Shel Silverstein

I tripped on my shoelace
And I fell up—
Up to the roof tops,
Up over town,
Up past the tree tops,
Up over the mountains,
Up where the colors
Blend into the sounds.
But it got me so dizzy
When I looked around,
I got sick to my stomach
And I threw down.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

gurragadon posted:

I didn't understand Abshir in the final episode, where were his kids? Who as that guy in Abshir's house? Why even add that part in with how the back half went? Fernando, Phoebe, Whitney's parents, and even Dougie feel unfinished to me. Cara got a satisfying enough ending to me with her interaction with Whitney at the massage parlor.

I noticed that too. Abshir is made to look unsympathetic in his last scene. Where are the kids? Out. Who's that guy? A friend. What about the property taxes? How about you just give me the cash for it. From only the perspective of whit and ash, it makes the audience think that his curt answers mean he's hiding something and giving it to him is a mistake. Clearly the scene is trying to communicate that the gift is not being received well and they both regret it even though they keep telling themselves it's the right thing to do.

Did he send his girls out without caring where they go so he could invite a friend over to do drugs with the little cash he has? Maybe. But kids go out to parks, people invite friends to hang out in their homes, getting cash would be simpler to pay off your own tax bill. None of those things are any of their business yet it's easy to assume the worst. We've only ever seen him be a good guy (although taking your kids to a parking lot to sell soda is shady - even then I'm saying that as a middle class person who's never needed to hustle to survive) so why assume the worst now? I think what they're going for here is for the audience to think about why they might watch this scene and change their mind about Abshir after he's likable throughout the series.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I didn't once find him likeable?

Your mileage will vary. He's a guy who's on the edge of homelessness and struggling. Maybe the pity I felt towards him and his situation made me like him more. The only thing he's shown as doing "wrong" is not showing much gratitude to whit and ash for as much as they're giving him. Even then, being gracious isn't supposed to be a condition of charity.

Lister fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 12, 2024

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Obviously art should stand alone but if you aren't thinking about this show within the context of his other work it's never going to land fully.

Also mel brooks never joked about the holocaust in his movies. The Producers was using comedy to mock Hitler so he was less of this monster that strikes fear into people. One more example of asher not understanding comedy.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

I loved this crazy assed episode but I was distracted thinking mechanically wouldn't you want to try your hardest to flip to the underside of the branch so you could rest your body weight on it?

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but if I was being pulled up constantly at anything close to Earth's normal gravity I don't think I could have held on like Asher did for more than five minutes.

Making it more obvious you were "falling up" would also be a lot more convincing to the firefighters, though that would require a level of self-awareness no character in this show had.

He also could have stood up. Instead he only crawled around. He could have crawled to the ladder or firefighter and grabbed onto them as the branch was being cut. Why didn't Abshir just stand up and tell the chiropractor to leave?

Because the scenes are a metaphor, not real life.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I'm getting flashbacks to the end of the sopranos when people wanted to know what happened to the russian.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Khanstant posted:

It's not really a charitable act though. If Abshir didn't ask for them to cover property taxes, he would be without a home in no time. If they didn't pay the property taxes, they just gave him a huge rent increase, plus myriad other ways the house will cost him. Giving someone a house they can't afford isn't a gift, it's a curse. Subprime loan crisis had some of that vibe.

It's an asset worth over $100k with no mortgage on it. That's a big gift no matter how you slice it. Property taxes can be sizable, but there's no way that the annual tax bill is going to be more than whatever the cost of a year's rent would be anywhere else. Now if the family is so poor that they can only afford to squat or be entirely homeless, then yeah, it's going to be a big problem. This is never brought up though, and I think the point of the scene was in everyones reactions instead of the realities of home ownership.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Less Fat Luke posted:

Isn't Abshir literally a squatter in the home they had bought and planned to tear down? Regardless though if I was him and had a cousin lawyer I'd be immediately selling that place the next day lol.

iirc he said he was paying rent but then the landlord ghosted him and they were just staying there until the city auctioned off the property. When asher comes in he says something about working out something new before asher lets them live there rent free. So he can presumably pay something, or maybe he'd fall behind on paying and just disappear somewhere else. None of that is really the point of the show though.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

There's another meaning to the house gifting scene that I think everyone's missing. In reality shows, it's common to give people stuff. In those shows, the reaction are always intense and huge gestures of happiness and excitement. Those reactions are often goaded by producers with multiple takes being done the same way we see Dougie do it, or they're done by people who feel like they need to perform when in front of a camera.

Ash and whit are expecting the reality tv reaction and instead they get a real life one. It's a great gift, but it's also like getting a Rolex from someone you've been dating for a month.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

It lines up perfectly to the parking lot dollar exchange in the first episode.

Now that I'm thinking about it again, you could call that Indian gift giving. I feel like that's got to be on purpose.

Even something like the ATM scene indicates more than it seemed at first with the series over. Asher ultimately doesn't trust the community they're in, despite acting so much like they want to help it. It's the same distrust the neighbor has about his packages being stolen. It's the same distrust that Whitney's dad has about tenants possibly ripping out appliances and selling them. Now maybe Asher does make a change to try and be better by the end, but it also seems like that's only because he thinks it makes Whitney happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

s2 takes place a few years later when their child is a toddler with nathan's face super imposed on it Little Man style