Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Robo Reagan posted:

my town has a sams club instead of a costco. i woll never know fabulous deals on bulk items and criminally low cost hot dogs :(

the hot dogs are the same price

also sams has a cool app where you scan your stuff and pay so you don’t have to use a register

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

e: nm

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 2, 2022

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

went to church, ate a slice while waiting our 15 minutes after getting boosted

they have the chili lime Sunchips at my church now, they’re so much better than the salsa crap they’ve always carried +1

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

speaking of beer, they had pallets of beer advent calendars right inside the entrance yesterday

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

It used to be $10 but is now $12.50 or something like that. And since they're not sold hot SNAP covers them.

they're still $10 here, $12 for family size. rip you

but now I think they cap it at like 5 toppings or something. still a good deal, especially if you get those ridiculous stuffed pizzas with like 2 pounds of crust

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

once they installed the kiosks here, they got rid of the counter register altogether. that’s the best way imo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

a sexual elk posted:

Block of cream cheese with salsa cocktail sauce and chopped shrimp or surimi dumped on top.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

numberoneposter posted:

I refuse to make shepherd's pie with anything other than lamb. I've been using a Gordon Ramsay recipe from The F Word for years now. It's a crowd pleaser, not too hard to make, and honestly I've forgotten an ingredient in the mince more than once and it still turns out bussin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJB3_asB2rc

I used to watch the F Word but man that video style is so dated now lol "grate. mince. stir." in monotone over a million cuts so you can't actually tell what's going on. gives me anxiety

very weird in hindsight

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Zero VGS posted:

Oh, one other standout from my grocery trip: Mateo's salsa. Never had it before but it's delicious despite being a fairly simple salsa. Has garlic/cilantro and it's dicey restaurant style so none of those tomato chunks like Tostitos. Though, they only had medium and it's more of a mild to me. Still a really good flavor.

we always have a jar of Mateo's in the house. you can get other varieties including a habanero one at other stores, but of course it's more expensive for a smaller container. when we want it hotter we just mix in a few drops of a super hot sauce

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

went yesterday. never go on a saturday otherwise cause I hate that it's a madhouse.

they only had 5 chickens left, but at least I got one. the baguettes were still warm. the pizza slices were super fresh. the self checkout line was short and fast. very expedient trip, felt good!

also got the boba tea mixes thanks to this thread. we tried the classic and the taro already, the taro is especially tasty. going to have to watch for when it's on sale and stock up.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

heavy liquid posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this at Costco before, so I picked it up this morning, and it's actually pretty good. Still probably prefer Win Schulers if I had to choose, but this is also good. Has a tiny bit of heat, but not nearly as much as I was hoping.

can confirm this company's spready cheese is legit

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Johnny Truant posted:

Goddamn yeah these boba kits are awesome

I just wish there was an all taro option

100% the taro are the best

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

went to self checkout yesterday, and an employee used her scanning gun to ring up everything in my cart for me.

try to leave, and door receipt dude stops me because she forgot to do the $5 bag of chips

:negative:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah sure it was an “employee” with a “scanning gun” it wasn’t you trying to steal from church

I would have tried to steal something better than a bag of chips :colbert:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Almost Smart posted:

A Costco employee told me the door checkers are there to help ensure that the customer doesn’t overpay for an item being rung up twice or something. She wasn’t particularly pleased when I laughed and said bull-loving-poo poo.

Like two trips later, we had an issue where an Apple Watch we bought wasn’t actually in the store room, so it got canceled out and a different colored watch was wrung up instead on a new receipt. loving door guy stopped just short of calling a defcon-1 emergency until it was explained to him by us and then by the storeroom employee why the receipts were separate. Even then I got the sense he still distrusted us as we left the building.

yeah it's a bullshit PR line about how it's actually about helping customers.

in my case, the guy was nice and apparently this self checkout lady does this a lot because he knew what happened immediately :rolleyes: but I absolutely hate that all the warehouse clubs act like all members may be stealing

like what are they going to do if I just walk out? I have my receipt, I paid for everything, gonna call the cops cause I didn't get a little highlighter mark? dumb dumb dumb

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pentyne posted:

They can revoke your membership, part of the user agreement is you have to let them inspect your receipt on exit. Weirdly, since alcohol has to be sold without requiring a card, I wonder what happens if you tell them "lol no" when buying a few bottles.

ah, right. I'm guessing that doesn't happen often because they want your sweet sweet membership fees

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It actually does help customers. My aunt was a receipt checker for Price Club (OG Costco in many places), and the cashiers hated how often she caught their mistakes.

I mean sure, it does help sometimes, but I don't think that's why it's done. I would guess it's more a combination of finding mistakes their cashiers are making, stopping theft, and kayfabe to make people feel special, as other people mentioned

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Speaking of new things, we tried out the gyro kit. It's totally fine. Nothing special, but a better deal than the local gyro place if you just want a basic gyro.

we didn't like it. the pita was really good (super small but whatever), but the chopped cukes, tomatoes, and onions were all really mushy and gross, and the tzatziki had no flavor. the gyro meat was pretty bland too. and what's up with the lettuce? no restaurants around here put lettuce on gyros. seemed like cheap filler.

we ended up just adding our own veggies to it. feta was a good addition, at least. C-

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7222114237877996843

I thought costco doesn't do custom cakes beyond picking design #1, #2, #3, etc. plus a name or whatever, right? this woman got a blank cake cause she put a complicated and copyrighted request in the cake order box. and then is dumb enough to bitch about it on tiktok lol

at least some people in the comments are calling out her poo poo

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

the plot thickens

https://patch.com/california/danville/danville-costco-beating-contra-costa-da-declines-file-charges

quote:

The Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office said it will not file charges in a case involving a Danville man claiming he was brutally attacked in the Costco parking lot Sunday morning.

Resident Craig Blackburn told KRON4 and KTVU that a man in the parking lot of the Danville Costco went “ballistic” on him following a dispute over a parking spot. Blackburn said he was on the ground covered in blood, and had to spend six hours in the hospital undergoing X-rays and a CAT scan.

Town spokesperson Jenn Starnes told Patch that officers were dispatched to the parking lot Sunday at 11:23 a.m. on reports of a battery. On Monday, however, “The Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office reviewed the case involving the battery between two men that took place. After reviewing the case and the evidence provided as a result of an investigation by the Danville Police Department, the Contra Costa District Attorney’s Office declined to file charges.”

No arrests have been made so far, according to reports in KRON4 and KTVU.

DA spokesperson Ted Asregadoo told Patch in an email that “what’s been reported by the media and posted on social networking sites does not entirely match the video evidence provided by Danville Police that our office reviewed.”

Asregadoo said he is preparing a news conference soon to explain the charging decision.

The alleged assault took place Sunday morning at the parking lot of the Costco at 3150 Fostoria Way. Blackburn told KRON-4 that he was eating a hot dog while loading his car when a man in a white Toyota Corolla waited for his parking spot. The man reportedly grew impatient, and hurled insults at him.

Blackburn said that even after a spot next to his opened up, the driver continued to wait, though eventually parked elsewhere.

As Blackburn was getting ready to leave, the man said something to him. Blackburn asked him what he said. After that, the man allegedly ripped his glasses off his face, and began to attack him.

Blackburn said he was on the ground, covered in blood, and wailing. Onlookers called 911, and he was treated at a nearby hospital. He also told KRON-4 that he has experienced facial damage, and pain in his knee and shoulder.

Patch has reached out to Blackburn for comment.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we often eat our pizza or hot dogs in our car when we're done. thankfully we don't live in a place where the parking lot is ever, ever completely full so all of this sounds bonkers to me

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Alan Smithee posted:

Not trying to cheat on Costco but I’m curious about the pizza

my sam's club stopped posting someone at the door to check cards a while ago, but no clue if that's a policy thing or just my lovely location thing.

the pizza has more cheese and toppings (and more topping options) than costco's, but the crust isn't as good. Costco's slice is better overall

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Chinatown posted:

swing and a miss

I stay winning.

They just released 6 new ones. The Chiltepin and Black Marisquera ones are the best

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

The tiendas in my city are slacking, I scoured the ghetto and came up with bupkiss. How's the hab-ghost?

it's good, definitely the hottest el yucateco offers. it's got caramelized onions in it which is unique and tasty, assuming you can handle the heat and taste the actual flavor

not sure they have any of the new ones in stores, you have to order them online. also maybe don't call ethnic neighborhoods of your city ghetto

MrQwerty posted:

I like talking about peppers with Ed, he is a cool dude. First time I ate a reaper, he handed me a slice of a fresh one the year he introduced them to the public.

we signed up for a year of monthly mystery sauces and some of his puckerbutt sauces are total poo poo, just bland rear end water. threw a bunch out. maybe he just uses the monthly thing as a way to unload crap experiments, idk.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MrQwerty posted:

nah puckerbutt's sauces are pretty bad, despite the fact that dude knows his poo poo about peppers and I generally agree with him in that video. It's one of the great mysteries in the world of peppers. I've only ever bought purees from him.

lol I see. good thing that year of sauces was only like $90 shipped (and we got some non puckerbutt stuff that was really good)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we get the shrimp cocktail a lot just to eat for lunch the next day, love that poo poo but I put a lot more horseradish in the cocktail sauce

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Saw they have Pep’s Drafthaus frozen pizzas now. They’re the best frozen pizza ever, everyone buy them. So much cheese

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pencilhands posted:

Better than the motor city meme pizza?

never had it, but it’s a different style so kind of hard to compare

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

yeah don’t ever buy those nameless hot sauce collection gift boxes from anywhere, they’re all terrible*

* does not apply to actual hot sauce places like Hot Ones or puckerbutt or el yucateco or whatever

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Alan Smithee posted:

folks i have a confession

i cheated on costco and got a sam's club pass

they have the cheapest price you can buy Nerds Clusters at

is there anything else there that's good value cuz i just bought a bunch of bags and left

yeah the store brand TP and paper towels are better, like others have said.

the premade mac and cheese and stuffed salmon are better than the costco ones if you're interested in those.

around here, Sam's prices on produce are way better than Costco's, so you might want to consider comparing. those 3-packs of seedless cucumbers, for instance, are usually $3-4 at Sam's, but I've never seen them for less than $5 at Costco.

in general, there's more soda and beverage options at sam's, and more selection in the health and beauty stuff. plus a hundred million kinds of snacks.

and don't forget to use Scan and Go in the app, it's a loving genius thing

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

pentyne posted:

the biggest convenience for Sams Club is that they have massive loving parking lots

I don't know who does the urban planning for Costco locations but literally every one I've been to has a parking lot that is way too small.

yeah that also helps too. between the parking and scan and go, I can get in and out with a couple things in like 10 minutes, less if all I need is a rotisserie chicken or something. it's beautiful.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

kreeningsons posted:

I’m a Costco newcomer and I feel like I’m doing something wrong. At least half the things on my list were more expensive at Costco than at Wegmans, and the stuff I normally buy is fine quality and isn’t even the cheapest at Wegmans. I did buy some things at Costco that will last me a year but the savings weren’t really that steep. I could make a huge effort post with price comparisons but I don’t think anyone here wants to read that.

I was mostly shopping for pantry staples, paper products and toiletries. I don’t eat meat, dairy, soda/sports/energy drinks, or pre-prepared/snack foods. Is that where the savings are?

I live in an area with a ton of grocery store competition. I shop around and check the ads for the stores around here every week because I enjoy meal planning and do a lot of cooking. if you're someone who also does that a lot, chances are you can get things cheaper on good sales at other stores as well. hell, there's one local grocery chain here that's employee owned and regularly beats Costco prices per ounce/lb.

unfortunately, you can't check prices at your costco reliably because their website sucks poo poo. these are the things that I regularly buy that are cheaper at costco: Mission tortilla chips, Ritz crackers (sometimes others, but they tend to be more expensive compared to other stores), those giant PB filled pretzels, cases of Swanson chicken broth, Rao's marinara sauce, giant bags of sushi rice, Izze. I also like some of the fresh breads, but they're not exactly cheap anymore. some of the premade meals are ok, but you're paying for convenience obviously. the shrimp cocktail are my weakness lol

in general, the produce prices suck.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 15, 2023

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Big Mac posted:

Is this WinCo? I loving love WinCo.

no, much smaller and in another part of the country

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Serious_Cyclone posted:

whose business philosophy is ostensibly to make being in their store as not-a-pain-in-the-rear end as possible

this is not remotely a goal of costco though. see: refusing to update any tech, constantly moving products around in the store to get people to "treasure hunt," cracking down on membership sharing with a million card checks and yelling at people about it, making people wait in lines just to exit the store, and those people soliciting you that you hate

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

sometimes when I want something sweet I dip the PB pretzels into a little jam

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

went this weekend and had the worst pepperoni slice. paper thin crust in the middle so no structural integrity, and left an entire plate of grease behind. lame.

they also didn't have the Mission tortilla chips or the PB pretzels. (or maybe they did and they were just back in frozen or something, who knows)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I usually get the huge 5 pound bag of Las Fortunitas tortilla chips, mostly because I like that they put a minimal amount of salt on it.

I didn't see any tortilla chips, which is why I bet they were just back in produce or some poo poo.

(I got some at Sam's instead, which had everything on my list lol)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Wendigee posted:

$1.38 for a dog and refill

and good soda selection too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

seconding Mateo's salsa (again)