Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Permadeath as an option is cool if death is unavoidable and you have to account for it. If the correct way to play is to never lose a unit, it's a dumb reload fest.

See permadeath in Xcom 1 vs new Xcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Zurai posted:

IDGI. You can avoid death in both, and you can get utterly screwed over by RNG in both.

Maybe you're much better at old Xcom than I am, but rookies always seem to die in droves for me. Even the humble sectoid can snipe a rookie with a plasma pistol. I have never done an old Xcom campaign without casualties.

In new Xcom you basically don't lose anybody unless you really really get unlucky (seems like multiple 80%+ misses against an enemy to even get shot at, and then multiple hits/crits to die) and it seems very viable to save scum your way through without losing anybody. This is kinda shored up because of the far smaller squad size and deeper character progression, so a player is deeply incentivized to just save/reload if your one psi agent bites it for instance.

It's very much like in Fire Emblem where you're way too attached to building up a specific character to accept losing them vs Advance Wars where its expected to lose some units every map.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I'm hoping it doesn't! I'd much rather just worry about skill development for character growth/customization and not what class they level as!

Yeah the ffv stat system was essentially perfect and I dunno why it doesn't get used more often.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

FairGame posted:

Going back to class-based stat growth will just further emphasize that neutral is the road for loser centrists.

Recruit an awesome undead(ish) terror knight far earlier than you should have access to that class!

Oh but the terror knight is assumed to have gained all his levels as a terror knight so he will get like 1 turn for every 3 turns everyone else gets.

Commit to your war crimes or not committing war crimes. The alternative is getting good units killed and getting a very lovely terror knight!

I mean that's more terror knight being a bad class because class balance has been bad forever. Terror Knights are just bad in every iteration of Ogre Battle, the 2 hits they do vs the other top end melee's 3 when all they get in return is 1 point of strength growth is a solid example.

I was tempted to do a neutral run just to collect all the shaman sisters even if they weren't great.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I've never played the PSP remake, how does the CODA/anchor point system work?

Is it just replaying branches or do I get to combine all the L/N/C path unique units into one army?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Trying to do a no Incap run and it is hell. I'm having difficulty with Hector and I can only imagine things getting worse after that.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IthilionTheBrave posted:

My biggest complaint with the buff cards, again, is that they didn't stick to the tarot theme and make them more obviously the Minor Arcana.

Avoidance being broken and making status effects and skills that interact with accuracy worthless also kinda bites, but more for making so many skills and effects pointless. I'm actually okay with all attacks being virtually guaranteed to hit, it just needs those skills to be tweaked to actually do something else somehow. Probably way easier to fix avoidance, though!

I'm actually ok with the 100% to hit because misses definitely drags missions on longer than they need to with the current health pool - I do wish they got rid of the stat entirely if it was going to be useless though.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

waah posted:

Denam, Destin, Tartaros, and Magnus team up to take down High Priest Sardian.

Who says no.

I need a refresher on the plot but the implication is that 3 regions (Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, and Ogre Battle 64) open gateways to hell in a short amount of time right? Seems like hell needs an rear end kicking.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Archers don't do a lot of damage but 100% chance to silence with baldur bow +1 has made them mvps for me most of chapter 3 and early chapter 4.

A lot of mage bosses just get wrecked if eagle eye procs early, and if not you have tremendous shot for 100% silence.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Each element had a bunch of other spells in the psp version that would apply buffs / debuffs
eg earth could slow multiple units, water had an aoe poison removal + weak heal, air had an aoe sleep, etc

Yeah I think they've tried that a few times throughout the series and the problem is that there are just too many elements. You can sort of see it with the dragon breaths where 50% of them are pretty useless while the others are really good.

Knight of Lodis gave each school 1 buff and 1 debuff and some effects are super niche and then they diluted it more by having ninja spells and war dances with those effects which almost nobody uses.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I've heard some conflicting things and I'm trying to figure it out.

When in the storyline should I start diving potd? I tried a bit at union level 32 but it was both a pain and I heard the shop doesn't even open then?

Does it open up at level 36 or should I wait until later?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Einander posted:

Doing PotD up to floor 24 for the shop isn't useful until you plan to do the Shaman quest. The main rewards are defeat-and-retreat farmable Winged Rings (useful for PotD itself, the Shaman quest, and San Bronsa) and level 1 Summon magic (only available to Lord, Princess, Shaman, a few other special classes, and Spellblade/Valkyrie). Plus Wicce Deneb, as Zurai pointed out, provided you also do the dragon recruiting and selling needed for her. Summons are definitely nice for whichever of Princess or Lord you pick at the Barnicia branch, but if you're planning to World around to pick up characters first or if you don't want to get Shamans at all, then going to the first shop doesn't have too much in the way of returns.

That said, summons and Shamans are a pretty big boost of power, and doing the first PotD run and the six temples required for the Shaman quest is a good test of whether you're willing to do the sort of long dungeon running that makes up the TO post-game. Just know why you're doing it first so you don't leave without what you need.

Cool thanks, it is nice playing on PC with cheat engine for the 2x speed, otherwise the combat feels positively glacial. Doing the Pirate's Graveyard for more buccaneer marks is already pretty painful so I'm not sure if I can handle multiple PotD runs for gear.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Is it worth it to make a Beast Tamer or two so I could recruit some beast units?

I think so, having a Beast Tamer to recruit dragons in Phorampa Wildwood is great, Water Dragon (breach) and Fire Dragon (weaken) are really good against early bosses.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

War Wizard posted:

They should have at least kept the terrain accuracy modifiers. FFTA had accuracy and it rarely drops below 75% if you aren't blinded and melee is almost always guaranteed. ¾ chance at the lowest for range is still pretty decent, and then you don't have to gently caress up your damage calculations, the accuracy will make up the expected average damage.

Would it be a layer on top of parry? Parrying already feels pretty bad cause it does nothing most of the time and I dunno if bringing a stat back for 1% chance to hit is worth it.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

War Wizard posted:

Their stat growth. Ninja's have to be leveled as something else to get any milage, otherwise their growth is wasted on non-stats.

Your best bet is leveling them as a rune fencer, then switching at level cap.

Yeah I get it, the dead stats are really annoying even if they're kinda a whatever if you plan to grind PotD in the endgame. I'm more pissed about ninjas falling off rapidly after their introduction because you don't get an upgraded offensive ninjutsu until the post game, it's kinda wtf.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, I almost wish healing mp costs were tuned down.

It makes sense to me balance wise if healers can consistently mitigate one basic attack worth of damage per turn almost guaranteed and then spend mp to cover finishers and focused targeting.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I've got an interesting idea for an XCom mod now.

The best moves in XCom tend to be ones that don't miss (grenades for days).

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Shaman kind of blows until you get level 1 summons and then they're pretty great.

I do wonder if having a team of mages just spamming 100% petrify would be better though. Too bad bosses are immune.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Late PotD seems painful if you're up against a bunch of mages and they all proc meditate and engulf. A massive stack of of AOE on your party before most of your slowest members even get to move seems kinda lame.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Eh. Getting the tier 2 apocrypha is pretty trivial imo. Especially for Olivya and Sherri who have by far some of the easiest Temples, you can just AI battle through the whole thing in like 40 minutes then Chariot the drops from the bosses.

And frankly if you DON’T have the stomach for that you probably shouldn’t do Palace anyway since Palace is just That but way way more.

Isn't the Earth Temple the worst? Undead and golems suck. I feel like Water and Earth are probably close to the hardest of the 6.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's really weird to me that grimoire exercisme is holy water

You gotta the burn the book to get rid of the bodies I guess. I remember in the original game it took me a while to figure out the ring of the dead isn't equipped in the ring slot.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I get so frustrated watching the AI teams, my Shamans keep running up to people and hitting them with sticks and if they have any other aoe spell they seem to prefer that to summons. Running around and not picking up cards.

Seems like you need to strip the character of all possible suboptimal moves or be insanely overstated.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Azran posted:

I'd say like half the roster of recruitable characters are missable, some more than others :v:

One playthrough if you go back to complete the other branching paths. If you start from scratch every time, three playthroughs (which will take considerably longer than just going back on a completed file)

Yeah if you go in blind you will miss some unique recruits for sure, they are not the most intuitive things in the world. I would recommend having a recruit guide even though you could World to get them because it's sorta tedious to redo the same story fights again.

The only things permanently missable on a save file with World are the unique titles you get for 0 deaths/0 incaps otherwise but those don't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Red Crown posted:

I'm finally getting around to this, and I love it - it brings me way back. Is there a good build guide out there? I don't have enough brainpower to theorycraft it, and I worry I'm missing obvious things like "take one level in knight" and the like.

There's really nothing like that which is great, you can swap classes as long as you have class marks so you can play around. The only trap is that generics have bad stats compared to the uniques, but none of the generics have absolutely awful stats so you can do whatever you want. Each unit is probably best just parked in a class and taken out when you need that class in a fight.

There are build guides for the absolute endgame where you just have the AI running your characters farming for rare drops, but most people will never need them.

Full disclosure: I just used cheat engine to have 100% drop rate in PotD cause why waste your time doing that

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 5, 2023