Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how they said that Cristan was cumstruck.

The subtitles disagreed with you about the c-word, but I'm not a 100% if the current forum rules permit spelling it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think daemon operates fully on the level of “gently caress it” and makes snap choices. I don’t think he went their fully intending to kill her but she called him on poo poo and then he caused her to get hosed up and then doubled down when she told him off.

If anything, I thought Matt Daemon was more of a dick before he turned around with the rock. Leaving someone quadriplegic in a medieval setting, that's just cruel and unusual. Finish the job, you freak

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Viserys made up the whole "7 days of partying" to seem cool, but had arranged for the Kingsguard to kill a member of the Velaryon party to have an excuse to cut the wedding short to save money. Extremely wise goon-king knows not to spend money you don't have.

"Soldiers $200M
Dragons $150M
Castles $800M
Daughter's Wedding Week $3,600M
Jousting $150M

someone who is good at the economy please help budget this, my family is about to get killed"

"Have someone murdered the first night of the wedding to throw the whole thing off"

":hmmyes:"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's true, I have no idea what is going on, I'm just waiting for all the pretty people to murder each other. So the latest episode was great, A+.

Except for king Goon, he's not pretty but I empathize with him having no idea what's going on either.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Come on, it'll be fun. It can be both better and worse than a multi-page discussion on how the mysterious mind of the colour blind works!

Who am I kidding, it will be worse :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

envm

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I like the new actresses, and them fighting each other all the time seems like an improvement. But man, King Goon just keeps living his own, oblivious best life. Rock on, rotting man! :yeah:

Also Matt Daemon seemed to be doing sort of okay there, but now he's all sad again :smith: I hope he becomes a weird chaos goblin again, sorry Matt Daemon daughters!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Have we seen Big Lego King Vis actually be a weenie or be incompetent? People keep saying that but most of his actions seem to be somewhat thoughtful and peace-oriented.

Outside of marrying Alicent and having a complete blind eye to his children and the potential civil war. Which, granted, is a doozy.

That deer probably has some criticisms to offer

But on a more general level, he hasn't had to deal with huge crises, we're just setting up for the big succession event which necessitates, you know, him being out of the picture. Lego-building skull aside. He's a big doofus who just wants to have a nice time and doesn't like it that people keep fighting all the drat time. And I guess he's worried about that ring dagger that has words on it if you show it to fire, but he doesn't really know what it means.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Nah, they're totally doing a grander version of saying, "I meant to do that." I never thought the secret maester conspiracy theory held water, even if it's interesting, because maesters are universally shown as incompetent when they actually have to do something.

It's all the fearsomely strong cider, I tell ya.

To be fair, the BENE GESSERIT WITCHES cocked it all up, too

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TOOT BOOT posted:

I feel like the marriage proposal was either an attempt to get under Alicent's skin in a deniable way or a means to score points with her father and make it look like she's trying to patch things up. 'I will marry my totally-not-a-bastard child to your trueborn child' isn't much of a proposal.

Did you catch the way her own marriage was negotiated? Some true romance and love poo poo right there, I tell you hwat

I mean Rhaenyra, but also applies to Alicent I guess

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This episode was great and most of the best hits have already been covered (crazy spider princess :allears:), but I still say the absolute best bit remains King Goon, whose sole response to the escalating battle over succession and kids maiming each other left and right was "I am your king, okay, and I am getting slightly irate at all this fighting nonsense. Now everybody kiss and make up. I command it! I am King Goon! We will speak of this no further!" Dude really just wants everyone to live their best life just as he's doing, and he just refuses to understand why that isn't possible :3:

Also Matt Daemon continues his trip towards likeable rogue, I am expecting a crushing end to my sympathies down the line :ohdear:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 3, 2022

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tosk posted:

I'm only 3 episodes in but really enjoying this so far. I read ASoIaF but nothing else, and I watched the first five seasons of GoT before I bailed.

Maybe the spoiler free line should be removed from the title, I read through some of the thread's backlog and I think it's pointless to pretend there's a moratorium on spoilers. I don't mind them but others might, given the thread's title.

No, don't remove the spoiler free line from the title? There's a sister thread where people can go hog wild posting about the ~*book lore*~ all they want, leave us illiterate unwashed masses to our ignorance and shame :eng99:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

IMO the series just keeps getting better with each episode. The crab war was the low point of the season.

:yeah:

It's too bad they messed up some shots in the latest episode for some teevees :( I could at least see what was happening.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

It's a good guess because just before the really dumbly ignited fight scene we get a snippet of Metal Gear Daemon just randomly offing some dude.

We also got a guy singing praises to the sky, "thank you my Lord for coming to save me" moments before the dragon just lands on him. Splat :banjo:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

:rip: king Goon, the only GoT character who lived their best life and wanted everyone to just get along dammit

So next episode is going to be buck wild, huh :stare:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That DICK! posted:

aging criston up would have been super easy. young, clean shaven long hair. old, short hair, big ol tom selleck mustache. blown opportunity. missed opportunity.

I can see it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

We never saw the bag open.

Maybe it's full of uranium. The poison gold.

Okay, but the theorycrafting earlier in the thread suggests that GoT takes place on Earth millions of years in the future, potentially after a nuclear war or some other bad event, where would they get a bag of uranium, smartypants? That city that's full of shoggoths and other Lovecraftian monsters? Please :colbert:

But seriously, the scene was pretty clear it was the plan B tea, some queensguard would've just shanked the girl if Alicent didn't care. "You are no son of mine" right after that, too? Come on people.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheCardhouse posted:

This post gets it. It was her daughter Helaena she hugged not a serving woman but it's still right. It's Chekhov's gun: they wouldn't have told us Dyana was missing for no reason. They had a reason and that reason was to let us know it wasn't just Plan B Tea. The ominous double speak during the conversation ("I know you won't tell anyone", "it's best to be certain") is just icing on the cake.

The reason Alicent gave her the bag of coins first was so Dyana didn't suffer by knowing she was about to die, as she was otherwise starting to realize when she insisted she'd never tell anyone else. Alicent was willing to kill to guarantee her silence but she knew it wasn't her fault so there was no reason she needed or wanted to make it more painful than it had to be. She's amorally pragmatic, not sadistic.

I'm out of the loop on the value of money in Westeros, but if you give a commoner a heavy bag of uranium gold coins, could they not just disappear and live in some comfort far away? Alicent could just have had the volcel dude merk the girl out of sight and out of mind instead of doing improv in front of a dead girl walking, if she was feeling guilty about having her murdered.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

TheCardhouse posted:

Yeah she could just disappear and live in comfort far away if she acts perfectly rational. She probably would have done that if Alicent had given her the chance, it's not the most difficult assignment.

But she was also understandably traumatized and not presenting herself as a textbook absolutely rational actor to Alicent. Alicent doesn't even know her, she asks what her name is when she walks in. Alicent has no real reason to trust her, she might break down and tell someone without even really meaning to.

The right thing to do is to trust her because she's completely innocent and has absolutely no reason to break her word and every reason not to. But was Alicent going to choose the right thing or the certain thing? They implied the certain thing.

She wouldn't delegate it to the dude who killed the Strongs because that guy is sadistic. He had his own father and brother burn to death and Alicent was horrified (but not so horrified or righteous to turn him in or anything). God knows what he'd do to some random servant. Out of sight doesn't mean out of mind.

I meant Criston, not Cripplefinger, as the volcel. And the show hints that Alicent does understand some of that shock and trauma, given her line to her sex pest son afterwards.

I guess she'd have to have a, erm, plan B in case the girl decides to talk, but if she does it far away would anyone even believe her? Or more importantly, would it matter? In the episode where Matt Daemon wanted to rape the princess but decided she was way too into it they saw a play pretty close to the palace grounds where they made open fun of the weird lives of the nobility. Alicent doesn't want any more kids a) trapped in this nonsense b) further conflicting the succession conflict.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

GRRM came to the bookstore I worked at to do a signing and someone asked him a very detailed question about Long Winters and an inner asteroid belt and orbital mechanics and had worked out all of the math to say how all of this was physically possible and George's answer was "I made it all up and never thought about it."

Authors are great about this stuff. Niven wrote sequels to Ringworld because he hosed up some of the physics, and then there's Ray Bradbury

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You're definitely not a crazy person for thinking this though.

For the record I was also arguing in favour of the plan B tea reading purely because I am right and it is the children who are wrong, the scene could be read both ways and that indeed is what generates the tension. It makes Alicent's character more coherent if she is disgusted with her eldest fail-son because he casually rapes people when he's bored. She's been on the receiving end of women as cattle, and has some shreds of empathy remaining. The tragedy of king Goon doesn't really work if the people around him are genuinely just monsters. (Some of them are, sure)

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Succession-dragon-crossover event when

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Otto/Alicent don't appreciate Aegon because he is squandering their machinations. They think he should be grateful and be worthy of the effort that they put in, like when they have to murder poor serving girls. :haw:

Aegon just gets the short end of the stick, narratively and in-universe. He doesn't care about court machinations or ancient prophecies, he just wants casual sodomy and lazy afternoons. His brother is the interesting character, since he is a legit sociopath who wants all the murder and intrigue he can get his Innsmouth hands on. And his wife, bless her heart, is a weird goony woman who has no appreciation for casual sodomy. Aegon isn't tragic, he's just plain ordinary. Which isn't a good thing to be in a complex murder show with dragons.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Can't be too careful with royal seed, my friend

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The teddy bear on the plane ignites for no visible reason. It was dragon fire. :doink:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Anonymous Zebra posted:

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Rhaenyra has a larger body count than Alicent since she and Daemon actually killed that random guard to fake her husband's death.

Rhaenyra slaughtered that hog, and brought it into camp like a real hunter. She has tasted blood, and she liked it

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I like Matt Daemon's antics, I guess, but he's an rear end in a top hat and not always in a sort-of-endearing Tyrion way. King Goon was (:rip:) great, but since the whole plot revolves around him dying and actually setting the chaos loose, his character had a naturally limited span. If I had to pick between the girls women, I'd be hashtag team Rhaenyra, but again it's the interplay of the trapped women against each other that's the interesting bit, rather than the characters themselves.

Aemond is promising, but he's obviously a horrible awful villain, so that's not really a "fan favourite" in my book.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

No, the Tom Selleck moustache :colbert:

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’ve checked for vampirism right.

Why do you think they're aging rapidly, while their missus stays the same?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Gives Cripplefingerfoot a whole new meaning :haw:

And I didn't think the funky jacking off scene was somehow out of place. Alicent's whole adult life has consisted of some kind of debasement and manipulation at the hands of the men in her life. She had to lie there and think of Westeros while the man decaying alive was humping her, there was a prolonged scene about this earlier! She obviously detested Cripplefinger, particularly after that first little fire incident, but he was a necessary component of her extremely gilded cage, and she had to get along with him and his disgusting ways. And it sells how pitiful Cripplefinger still remains, the best debauchery he can get out of extorting the Queen is a Stephen Colbert bit about bared ankles.

That said, I too am confused whether he's working for Otto now, still 'loyal' to Alicent, or playing both sides. I guess the last one makes most sense.

Jerusalem posted:

The really sad (and potentially extremely dangerous) thing is that when Aegon is presented as the new King, you can tell his heart's not in it and he thinks everybody is going to hate him. So when he gets applause and chanting, you see his face light up like he's thinking,"Wait, they REALLY like me!?! Maybe mom was right and dad changed his mind at the end, maybe I am the Prince that was Promised!" even though you could have put literally anybody up there and they would have cheered because what the gently caress do they care, whoever they're told is in charge, they'll cheer for them , no matter how laughably bullshit the Viserys story is (I love that Alicent is so upset because in her mind it IS true, but even she knows it sounds like utter bullshit).

Giving a horrible little poo poo like Aegon power is bad enough, but allowing him to think he really does deserve/earned it and that people genuinely do love him is probably going to lead to him going even further round the bend thinking he can just do whatever. Otto's proclamation that all this is for the greater good of the Kingdom is hilarious given what a gently caress-up Aegon clearly is, though of course what he really means is that his blood is on the throne AND he still (thinks he) gets to basically run the kingdom himself in all but name.

Yeah, Aegon's little Trump moment there was horrifying. As an idle youth, not only did he engage in casual sodomy but apparently he had a gaggle of bastard children, had them mutilated and then have them fight each other and other mutilated kids in public pit fights. Presumably to the death. I'm sure he's going to be just swell once he gets into full Joffrey mode. Matt Daemon Lite should've merked him on the street, no one would've blamed him. Well maybe Alicent, but she's a softy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Yep. It was just a display of power + escape. She got locked in her room by them, they may have killed her, or at least held her hostage (which is super common), to solidify their claim, and she likes that side of the family. But she needed to prove that she ain't gonna show her feet to no one.

Perfect Potato posted:

Oh wait nevermind the ending makes perfect sense now, complaints all rescinded

If nothing else, I want "show your feet" to be the next "bend the knee" of the self-important politics-obsessed twittersphere

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Also she's a Princess, surely she knows how to get around in the major buildings in the city.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

LividLiquid posted:

I gotta' say, I am enjoying this show, but while it's entirely realistic to have a bunch of people backstabbing each other to attain power for power's sake, I'd be a lot more invested if I knew what literally any of them were planning on doing with said power.

If they all just want it just because, I'm really not rooting for any of them.

My reading of this is that the tragedy at the heart of it all is that none of them really do. When Rhaenyra was young, dumb and... She might've wanted power for the abstract notion of having it, but she didn't really seem to have any plans per se. King Goon didn't really want the power, he was worried about how he would be remembered, and wanted to play with his lego set. Aegon explicitly says in this episode that he doesn't want it, only now that he heard an auditorium applaud him he might want it for the Trump high. Aemond wants to be king because he's "earned" it, but it's unclear at best what he'd actually do with it. Maybe he would want the challenge of being a king and having to make big decisions with his big brain? He seems to fit that type, but he could just as well build lego sets like his dad. I don't remember Rhaenyra's kids really expressing ideas one way or the other, they just sort of know that being bastards is bad and there's a vague threat of violence all around.

Matt Daemon and Rhaenys don't really count anymore I guess, but young Matt Daemon wanted to be king because he wanted to be Bad rear end (tm), and Rhaenys maybe was the only one of the bunch who had an interest in running the court and being a ruler of Westeros. But those ships sailed.

All this amounts to saying that Otto is (so far) the only true vicious villain in our story, since he knowingly pushed his pubescent daughter onto grieving king Goon so she'd have Otto's grandsons and fight for the throne in Otto's place. He also knew that Rhaenyra existed and king Goon was at least considering just naming her his heir. And that Rhaenyra and Alicent were BFFs.

Now, 20-ish years down the line, king Goon is finally dead (:rip:), and Alicent and Rhaenyra are both trapped in a game where the stakes are, at minimum, the lives of themselves and their children (plus other assorted family members), while people around them keep plotting to advance their own agendas furthering the conflict and making any sort of negotiated settlement impossible. So our main characters are stuck making morally awful Sophie's choices, and people will die in what I'm told will be a long and awful civil war. All because Otto is a smug, vain son of a bitch.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

When the show, this show, not a book, started signaling that Alicent was team Green, because she wore a green dress and made a grand entrance to a huge party filled with people from all the noble houses, and everyone at the party was like "WTF dude lol check out her GREEN DRESS, girl be throwin' down yo, lmao", this thread spent a couple of pages discussing how colour blind people could possibly understand the scene. We speculated on the ability of colour blind people to read and understand social cues in a visual media such as teevee, absent the ability to notice that Alicent was wearing green.

It is now a few weeks since that episode, and this thread is discussing how this blacks vs greens poo poo has to be some obscure arcane book reader lore horse-poo poo, how is a viewer supposed to figure this stuff out just watching this show on teevee

Couldn't even see like half the scenes in one episode, because they ruined it in post

At least the dragon clearly changed sizes between busting out of the floor and flying out the door, geez

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

roomtone posted:

I suppose the conflict just comes down to

a) Please, keep watching our show. We'll do anything. We will give you a taste of the thing you think you are here for but please don't make us give it all up right away, we need our jobs to continue.
b) This is the story we've got. Don't give a poo poo if you get bored, you'll realise it's good later. Just watch it and we'll get to the exciting poo poo when it happens.

I want b.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but is the intent here that dragons only show up on screen when they do something big, splashy and dramatic that kills people has a major impact on the protagonists' lives? The train your dragon scene with not-yet-one-eye-Daemon fits the bill I suppose, and a kid flying a huge dragon is cool in and of itself, so is the complaint that a dragon just screaming at the King and mother Queen wasn't sufficiently cool to justify the dragon budget? If the CGI boys have to stay in the basement, at least let them get the marshmallows out?

I don't pretend to know the lay-out of the dragon pens or whatever and the argument about the dragon logistics seems mostly silly to me, so I guess I'm in the "power of cool in writing" demographic. But the conversation around Rhaenys's thinking here makes sense to me. For her own reasons she doesn't want to burn everyone on the dais to a crisp, but she wants them to remember she has a dragon, too, and gently caress you that's why. It's perfectly in-universe writing that commoners are NPCs. That's the same basis for thinking that Ser Volcel only hosed Rhaenyra once and that was enough to snap him into full psycho mode, IMO. It makes sense in-universe, and having read that line of thinking I'm prepared to accept that I was caught in my own 20th century sensibilities when I too assumed Rhaenyra and him had been banging for a while before the, erm, proposal scene. Ser Volcel straight up merking alzhaimer patients because he's cranky that morning makes sense in that light, too, even if he seems outright unhinged from the viewer's perspective.

The dragons are meant to be nuke equivalents, sure, but they're also people's... Pets? Companions? Matt Daemon's wife's suicide by dragon makes sense, but at least I interpreted that scene was also showing us that the dragon understood what was being asked, and did it with what understanding a fire-breathing doggo would have about euthanasia.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

roomtone posted:

i now rescind my concession on the teeth issue and submit that i have no opinion on medieval teeth at all

We had the scene where Cripplefinger's M-team was de-tongued, should've had a scene where they made dentures for king Goon by removing suitable teeth from slaves

Give me those sweet consultation :10bux: HBO

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Rhaegandarysond

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

roomtone posted:

then we'll enjoy your thoughts on wednesday

what exactly is the argument here. i saw it first and that's annoying? i'm a cheater? it's a tv show. if you want to go in Pure then don't open this thread because it rolls over so many aspects of this poo poo you would really be better off not knowing. loving hell.

It seems reasonable to expect for there to be spoilery chat when the episode has aired, yeah. But if it airs in an unexpected fashion, people might wander into the thread unawares.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Nobody answer this posters questions

Al Pacino is the Devil, I don't wanna mess with that dude :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Just going by what's been on the show, Matt Daemon's middle wife had to tell her doggo dragon several times that she needs a fiery euthanasia, doggo had a think about it, and complied.

I assume it's a given that all dragons love setting things on fire, eating things, etc.