Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

keep punching joe posted:

JK Rowling books are like American diner food, terrible but at least the portions are huge.

Speaking of Rowling, I discovered her latest example of awfulness.

She (maybe) has Ireland still under the rule of the hated Brits in the Harry Potter Universe.
Basically someone posted this on Ireland Simpsons Fans.

To put it in context (since I needed to have this fully explained) by one commentator,

"This would be like if the Irish soccer team was owned organized and administered by the British ministry of the interior."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

IMO the Irish shouldn't have their own national team if they are under the purview of the British. Outrageous.

It's easily explained by the fact that Joanne wrote an awful lot of things without considering any possible consequences of them. Because she's deeply uninterested in anything but trans people I assume

I'm not so sure.

Like okay let's assume you are a really lazy, hackish writer.
You have an international tournament and are using it as an excuse of bringing people from around your fictional world into the story.
So you have the team from Bulgaria show up and you decide to have a politician from Bulgaria travel with the team.
Okay, it's not super original, but it makes sense. And you can use it later to tie into your overall narrative about how the political classes are blind to the threat of Voldermort.

Then you introduce the Irish team...and you have them lead by an English politician. Like why? Why not just have an Irish wizard or something leading them?

At best it's a baffling choice.
At worst it's playing into that thing that all some English people think, that Ireland is really still a part of the UK/it's is playing at being independent but longs to go back to being a part of the Empire.

The fact that Rowling later went onto campaign against Scottish Independence when combined with the passage from her book, says a lot about her thoughts on the UK's relationship with it's neighbours.

I mean it's not the worst thing she has done. But it does bug me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

You've seen how she writes Asian and Jewish characters, do you really want the team led by Irish bishop-wizard Paedo O'Drunk?

Oh I'm sure it would have been awful. Ranging from the offensive ("Fr. Drunky McDrunkson") to a different type of offensive (A West Brit posh type who talks about the Empire in glowing terms.)

But I'd have found it hilarious if she went with "Gerry Adams: But with magic!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I was in the same school with the actor who played Seamus Finnegan in the Harry Potter films. (I was in 5th year and he was in 2nd year) so he had only been in one or two Harry Potter films at the time.

Seemed like a normal kid from what I remember of him in the morning assembly. He probably also wanted to procure alchol and watch things blow things up, like most kids in my school.

Nicknames: My friend told me one of the best nickname stories ever.
One of the guys he went to school with was called Wayne. But in the middle of the school year it was discovered that his middle name was Bruce. Don't know what his surname was but it's not important.
So since his name was Wayne Bruce, his nickname was Manbat*.

On the flip side one of the most (collar tugs) nickname was given to an East Asian kid who used to play as a goalie in football. So he was nicknamed Packie after famed Irish goalkeeper Packie Bonner.
Still it was an awful look hearing this kid get called Packie on and off the football pitch.

*= I would have voted it the best nickname ever if his name contained Kirk or Langstrom.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 4, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

lmao imagine travelling back in time and telling this thread liz truss would be pm

(Necrothatcher going into their time travelling phonebooth.)
I can't believe I got to go back in time and blow the minds on everyone on the UK Mega Thread by telling them how Liz Truss would be Prime Minsiter in two years time.
(Phonebooth starts to time travel.)
Oh wait...maybe I should have also mentioned something about the invasion of Ukraine. Too late.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought Boris would be safe forever because you wouldn't be able to find someone worse to replace him

A group of Tory walk up holding The Lament Configuration.

Toryenobite: We have such Prime Ministers to show you!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

A magic box that takes you in and out of a realm of pure suffering run by sadists led by an Anglo WW1 fetishist? They turn it a few times and suddenly things are okay actually.

:hmmyes:

Fun facts about Hellraiser.

The original Hellraiser book: Main character survives her encounter with Cenobites. Muses on how if there is a magic box that takes people to Hell, there must also be a magic box that lets people go into Heaven. But she will probably never find it.

The Hellraiser films: The Lament Configuration was commissioned by a French aristocrat who wanted to gently caress a Demon.

The original author, Clive Barker: The Hellraiser films are dumb because they called the head Cenobite Pinhead. I'm going to write a book where he kills everyone and goes by the totally unique and badass name of....The Hell Priest.

Edit: What a snipe. Time to pay the pet tax, Amy Whinehouse.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 5, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm just going to leave this tweet here.

It's value is only going to increase after the next PM.

https://twitter.com/danthat/status/1567134568649465862?t=PERWtpKWsjFiBVqvtGGhFg&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobstar posted:

Hang those who bum the billionaire

What have you got against Prince William's mistress?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Reveilled posted:

We're probably getting nothing for the funeral, that's 10 days after death and so will be a week on Saturday or a week on Sunday if she goes today or tomorrow. It's not an official bank holiday so it doesn't move to the following monday. Alright if you work weekends I guess, but if you're monday-friday, keep your fingers crossed that she lingers.

10 days after today would be the 18th, which is a Sunday.
While 10 days after tomorrow would be the 19th or Monday.

I need to be clear on this,as I'm flying to Glasgow on the 17th and I don't want my plans spoiled by the Tan in Chief.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

News outlets are announcing that the funeral will take place on the 19th. Which is good as it means I can still fly into Glasgow on the 17th. Hopefully the busses and trains will still be running so I can get around Scotland.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The queen, unlike most politicians, has not been actively evil to the population of the UK. She's been born into a rotting edifice of aristocracy, and acted accordingly to those rules and norms while a procession of cunts came and went, at worse being a racist and protective grandma. I'd be much more willing to celebrate the demise of the current government over the queen.

Some of the people of Northern Ireland might not agree with this statement.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

What even is 'a state of mourning' if its just flags at half mast then...who cares? If its everything cancelled for the entire time then loving hell lol.

According to this it's mostly flags at half mast and books of condolences.

Also TV will be notably worse.

quote:

Media coverage will also reflect the mourning period – with TV and radio stations expected to follow a code of conduct.

The temporary measures will reportedly include the suspension of comedy programming on BBC and the recommendation that DJs play inoffensive music.

See
https://www.thesun.ie/news/9379167/queen-national-mourning-days/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Okay let's put aside the motion that Queen Elizabeth had any responsibility for the real big wrongs of the British Empire.

Let's accept that she was just one small Queen and couldn't fight the system. Fine.

What about the smaller scale wrongs that she could have done something about.

Like say, the media's harassment of Diana or Meghan. Surely she could have pushed back at what was happening to those two women?

Or would that have resulted in the Tabloids having to go to the Palace and imprison the Royales?
But hey, maybe she just adopted some Watcher like strict neutrality policy. So she was just keeping to that policy by letting the press go after Diana and Meghan.
And it's not like she personally provided resources and legal assistance to normal bloke Andy Windsor when he had legal troubles. Or had to sell off one of her many properties to finance a legal settlement for a woman that Andy Windsor did nothing to.

Nope, Queen Lizzie. Powerless to effect big changes. Had to maintain decorum and not go after any of the smaller wrongs.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Angepain posted:

ok i'm done posting them all except the really awful/weird ones

So has Ireland been shrunk and made to join the UK in morning the Queen if it wants to be re-biggulated?

Or is the Isle to the left of Scotland meant to be Northern Ireland, and the rest of Ireland has been removed because otherwise it's inconvenient?

Gonzo McFee posted:

That fox is going to gently caress the dead queen

(In Heaven. Lustful Fox looks at Queen Elizabeth. She knows she is in trouble. She reaches into her handbag and pulls out a small electronic device and presses the button.

CUT TO:
The stately home of Jolyon Maugham QC KC, who along with his junior, Richard Grayson the third, are taking instructions from a client.)

Jolyon: So as I explained it is vital that you explain to me your timeline of where you were on the night of the murder, if I am to establish your innocence.
(Landine phone lights up red, silently.)
I'm sorry but an important matter has come up, please talk to the solicitor and we can reschedule our meeting.

Richard Grayson: Holy Interupted Consultations Jolyon, we will have surely lost the brief after that display.

Joylon: Perhaps old chum, but it seems like there is a higher calling coming through. One that can only be answered by Cricket-Batman and HOWZAT: The Bowl Wonder.

(Que intro sequence. End; prologue. )

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 12, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That's a rough lineup of TV programs.

I mean Remi Malick was good in that movie, but the editing was all over the place.

Now that I think about it, is the Emoji Movie the only thing that's on that doesn't tacitally defend a nonce?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

rescued a mouse too from two fat, spoiled kitties who were going to kill it for fun

i was going out to put my food waste in the compost bin using an old ice cream tub for transit so used that to transport the mouse to safety

wonder what the little thing made of it, being seconds away from certain death then suddenly in a perfectly white and featureless environment, then dropped into a nice safe hedge

Back in 2020, I had this huge infestation of mice into my attic. I started using humane traps to catch and release them into the wild*. I started naming them with individual letters of the alphabet and ended up looping around to AO, so there was 42 of them caught by the end. I even took to recording them and putting it online since it was the Pandemic and we were all a bit bored/mad.

My experience with caught mice is they are terrified of everything and just want to find something to stress eat and/or escape.

*= It also made me realize it's pointless to use kill traps on mice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I consider it training for what it will be like in the future when I have to kick my grown up children out of my house and make them get jobs.

(But excellent pun.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Elaborate? They've always seemed to work for me

Okay so, it's 2020 and I find mice running around my attict.

I set up some humane traps. Clear looking plastic ones that look like a prison you would put Magneto in.

I use a variety of bait, but mostly Peanut Butter in paper cupcake molds (so the peanut butter doesn't get on the inside of the trap.) put at the back of the trap.
The reason is the peanut butter is so sticky, the mouse can't just grab it and run. They spend ages trying to pull the stuff and set off the trap. I also put some small pieces of paper along the tube of the trap so the mouse has to navigate the trap to get to the food and it helps improve the traps success ratio.

So I am setting these traps and checking them every day. I catch a mouse, then I take the mouse out to the field on the farm we live and let them go.
Next day there is another mouse.

I am wondering if it's the same mouse coming back in and would I be best off using kill traps. Then I have an idea.

I take some of my wife's (old) Nail polish and apply it to the claws of the mice I catch.
It's bright red and very easily viewable on a caught mouse.

I then decide to dump the mice in fields about a five minute drive from my house. (Still within the 5KM range we were allowed go at this stage in the Pandemic.)

What I notice is the mice I catch don't have the red claw marks. The only time I catch a mouse with Nail Polish on it's claws was the one time it was raining and I released it in the back field.

Eventually after catching and releasing some 40 odd mice, the mice infestation stops after I found and filled a number of holes in the attic.

So my conclusion.

1) If the mice I was catching and releasing were the same ones getting back into the house, a Kill Trap would have been an effective method of stopping them.

2) If the mice I was catching and releasing were different mice, a Kill Trap wouldn't have been an effective method of stopping them since it is different mice every time.

3) By marking them (even not withstanding that the mice could have chewed off the nail polish) and then releasing them a very good distance away, I could be reasonably sure it was different mice getting inside my attic and not the same mice over and over again.

4) Releasing the mice very far away and dealing with the root cause of how they were getting into my house was a better solution to the problem than killing the mice.

Post Script: We have two cats and one dog.
In all their time here the dog has killed one mouse that got into the kitchen.
The cats have killed a few mice, but mostly they were ones they killed outside and brought into the house.
Traps and filler is the way to go. And Nail Polish too, I suppose.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Dogs that are mousers tend to be better at destroying nests that dealing with individual mice. Their instinct is to dig out the nest and kill all the babies, so unless you find the nest they tend to be a bit passive and useless with adult mice.

Our dog is a boarder collie mix.(so a medium sized dog.) We aren't sure what the rest of the breed is but I suspect it is some smaller breed like Jack Russle or Terrier.
So she does try and do the mouser thing of sticking her snout in holes and exhaling to scare prey out. I haven't seen it work, but I did see her jump on a rat and kill it in the field once.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seeing a lot of people mention dogs and not post photos :mad:

Fine.

Kill league.

4) Lara T. Croft

Despite being an angry cat that is quick to use her claws, I'm fairly sure she is a useless hunter. Only surviving by whinging and demanding soft food from her hoo-mans.
No confirmed kills.

3) Nina T. Dogg.

Is a good (if derpy) girl. Has killed a mouse and rat.

2) Amy C. Whinehouse.

Despite her runty size and the fact that when she meows she sounds like a 20 a day smoker, she is a jungle cat.
Has killed many mice, birds and even once caught a bat in mid-flight. (It was rescued and survived.)

1) Gambit.

My families cat. Has been at the farm longer than the other animals put together. A stone cold killer. Countless mice, shrews, birds, baby ducks, water fowl and baby rabbits have fallen to his claws. Is found of humans. Is annoyed by the dog and new baby.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This fits with what I've heard from friends more directly involved. Hindutva fash kicked it off, and as always when one group tries to start a race war the other hit back. Add a bit of hooliganism/skirmishing round the sides and you get this.

I'd be wary of exactly what bits are 'imported' though, Hindutva is promoted by BJP in India, but local fascists are more than capable of standing in a big group and chanting nazi poo poo of their own accord.

Some buses of various groups did apparently come from Bradford and Wembley in the name of 'community defence' but again you can always see that happening in these types of events, and I've also heard people try to pin the whole thing on 'outside agitators' and no, clean your front yard and talk to your neighbour.

This bit is very on point though, white nationalists are having a field day and they can eat poo poo.

It's a good read.

But this tweet was phrased really badly.

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1571946065305436160?t=-VjwoR85wRGcAdD7ATrqsQ&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

And so the Something Awful riots of 2022 were started by posts about the size of balloons.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I've never watched it, but I assume the emoji movie has emotions other than 'oval office'

True.
But they both have piles of poo on camera. 💩

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I saw this on my Twitter timeline.

It's a good short watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErqQxlbNpUg

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

He will never feel shame for being what he rails against and he will never grow as a person.

True, but that cuts both ways.

The incident is never going to cause him to do self reflection and grow to change. But also it means he is never capable of learning from the incident and moving beyond it so it no longer hurts him.

An incident like that to a narcissist (and likely psychopath) would hurt their ego (thus the storming out) which is one of the only type of emotional pain they ever experience.
But if you showed him that clip now, he'd likely have the exact same reaction. It would never become any more bearable since the only way to endure that would be to try and grow and advance, which he is quite incapable of doing.

It being recorded and made available online to be thrown back at him, is likely the only way to make him ever experience anything approximating consequences for his actions.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Maybe they can add Liz Truss to the list of people after Guy Fawks of entering Parliament with honest intentions.

https://twitter.com/Sideshow_Matt/status/1575167985832316928?t=HNSvjBA7QtGm-FjQjBMCkg&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Apraxin posted:

^^^^
i knd of recall someone pointing out to a GC columnist who was railing against drag shows that they'd written a column only a year or two previously extolling the tradition of the pantomime dame, and the response was 'well, that was before my eyes were opend to the TRUTH'

Forstater woke up today still mad as gently caress btw
https://twitter.com/MForstater/status/1575763384858865667
ten tweet thread that concludes with 'It is important that institutions do not allow cultures to develop where it is ok to lie to & disparage parents. Safeguarding 101. "Queering" these institutions w ambiguity & lies, makes parents rightly feel they are unsafe.'

Reading that thread, she litteraly sounds like she is from a poundland version of Warhammer 40K.

"Suffer not the Xenos to be a mascot on a children's library!
Beware the Enemy Within, the Enemy Without and most of all, the Enemy who doesn't confirm to our definition of gender!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Didn't John Smith try and use magic to find the golden plates? And in some cases, necromancy?

Maybe Rowling wanted to put that in the new Fantastic Beasts script?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

keep punching joe posted:

What a dickhead.

Going to pay my decrepit grandad a pound a lap for going round the garden for no reason.

Oh no there was a reason.

It was during the height of lockdown and the family were sick of being around granddad. So suggested he go around the garden so they didn't have to deal with him for a while.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

God's hosed off from heaven. All is insane in the UK

lmao

This UK remake of Neon Genesis Evangellion is off to a strange start.

The second most recent thing I remember Snowden doing was tweeting back in February how the West was spreading panic by claiming Russia was about to invade Ukraine. Then after the war started he basically tweeted "Whoops, guess I was wrong about that. I had best take a 72 hour break from Twitter."

The most recent thing was he got awarded Russian Citizenship, but done in such a way that he would not be eligible for Mobilisation. Funny how that worked.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mebh posted:

What exactly is their ideological opposition to investment instead of cuts anyway. Is it just firesale as fast as possible and get whatever you can out of it gently caress you? Is the graft really that simple and obvious or do they genuinely believe that THIS time we won't get hosed over by selling off the... *checks notes* very land we live on?

Investment is a huge political issue. It takes time and lots of money for investment to start and finish. And whomever is in power when investments materialise are the ones to capitalise.

That's why it is so important in England....(checks notes) a country with a two party political where one party tends to be in power for decades that they don't make investments as they might not be the ones in power when it pays off?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That's Glinner in the tunnel.

That's a different version of REM's " Losing My Religion. "

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Just going back to this tweet.

"The regicide nature of Conservatives..."

Is Nadine saying that Tories lust for the blood of Kings and queen's?
Which might explain Liz killing Liz.

I also take it that no Tory has commented on the fact that ousting Truss within a month of her being made Prime Minister by the Conservative party membership makes them look awfully incompetent.

Chinese Gordon posted:

Mordaunt is trying to avoid the 'backstabber' taint by being outwardly supportive while very carefully not ruling out wanting to be PM once Truss is eventually handed the whiskey and revolver.

If that did happen, Truss would shoot herself without having even opened the bottle of Whiskey*, let alone drunk any of it.

She likes going out dry, you see.

* = And not just because she couldn't get past the childproof cap.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 17, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

In other news, tiny little story here.

One of such a fringe interest, it's no wonder that no British Publication (The BBC, The Independent, The Guardian, The Torygraph etc....) were running with it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2022/1016/1329499-abuse/

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh bollocks to it, I'll drop them off at a police station rather than the embassies if people think that's best.

Suspect the Airpods will go straight into some cop's pocket but this can be the Met's problem.

Honestly just record a video of what you are dropping off to the cops before you do so.

And it sounds to me like the best move to make.

You don't want to have to be in court explaining "Yes I did take these passports and bring them to a number of different embassy's around London myself. No, I wasn't working with any people smugglers. No, I didn't bring them to the police because I do not trust them."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah, there is that.
I do not possess a radio receiver capable of picking up LW (I did have before I moved back to UK but not since).
And you would need to keep batteries in for it.

Anyway isn't BBC switching off LW soon and that's why we're all supposed to get smart meters?

That reminds me, years ago my dad got a wind-up radio. (As in a radio with a hand crank at the front for powering it. You could also put batteries in it.)

It wasn't mad money and having a quick look around Amazon, they have fancier versions which also have solar panels on them.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Everytime I see Trevelyan's name I always go "oh yeah, the descendant of a politician so evil, they made a folk song about them is real and in power."

For Americans it would be the equivalent of their being a Senator Mary Arnold, the descendant of Benedict Arnold.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

What was the song? Having trouble googling this

It's "The Fields of Athenry". A song that is sung at almost every single Irish sporting events.

The lyric in question....

"By a lonely prison wall
I heard a young girl calling
"Michael, they have taken you away
For you stole Trevelyan's corn
So the young might see the morn
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay"

And on it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

jiggerypokery posted:

She married into that name no?

Yeah but she also divorced him but kept the Trevelyan name.

So at that point you are entitled to the baggage that comes with that name.