Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Was it the previous PS5 thread where people were talking about Dead Rising a couple days back? Because 1, 2 and Off The Record are all currently on sale on the US PSN store for $6 each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Arist posted:

Yes, that was me! I already own all those games, but other people should buy them too!

I haven't played any other than the very first back when it was a new release. I just grabbed Off The Record when I noticed the sale so your propaganda worked on at least one person

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

:words: that I did, in fact, read

I need to replay Hades; it's so good. You're right about the conversation queue though - things can get delayed an awful lot depending on the order in which you trigger events

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

Just wanted to re-post this GIF because it absolutely rocks. I am a huge sucker for collapsible helmets in games/movies/etc. and this one absolutely takes the cake.

Have the other 2 I also like:

I won't stand for this Total Recall erasure!

https://i.imgur.com/brujmVP.gifv

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Pennsylvanian posted:

I guess to be positive, Sifu is the best game I've played in a long time. This may be my biggest obsession since Doom 2016.

Agreed. Sifu is excellent. And it's been updated to be worlds more accommodating than it was at release so if anyone was initially put off by its difficulty, rest assured that's not an issue anymore

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

they’ve added an easy mode and a hard (Master) mode, default is the original

There was even a more recent summer update that added optional modifiers like increased enemy attack speed, unbreakable weapons, low gravity, bullet time, etc. They've done an awesome job of continuing to add things to the game to not only make it more accessible to more players but also to make it potentially more challenging if that's what you're after

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Wo Long is gonna be real good but man was it a weird immediate first impression where you enter the tutorial and get a prompt to pick up loot with R2 :stare:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

Once you realize Sifu is just a long string of QTEs it’s no fun at all, and very easy super zen and badass

Ftfy

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Tirade posted:

I keep playing a bit too aggressively due to bloodborne habits but I'm slowly getting better at the rhythm of the game. Unlocking the thing that heals on death blows has been a big help.

Awesome thing about Sekiro is there's no such thing as "too aggressively"

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

acksplode posted:

Nowhere to go but downhill after NFL 2K5

:colbert:

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

got another covid booster good god i feel like rear end :emo:

Right there with you. :zombie::hf::zombie: Feel better soon

Arm was sore last night, that soreness has now spread through my whole body and I'm freezing in spite of the mountain of blankets and a dog I've crawled beneath.

Thankfully I took today off work. I've been playing a bit of Toem because that's about all I'm capable of in this state.

Pupdate: I'm technically using him for warmth but he doesn't seem to mind

thiccabod fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 27, 2022

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Casnorf posted:

my booster made me taller

Really want to see the guy that went for 6 inches. Gotta have a body proportioned like some hosed up Star Wars droid

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I like to think that the "boomer" in "boomer shooter" refers to Doom 2's double-barreled shotgun because if it refers to "baby boomers" it makes no goddamn sense. Even Carmack and Romero are too young to be boomers and I certainly don't get the impression they were making games for folks older than themselves. What they really should be called is

haveblue posted:

gen X shooters

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Augus posted:

the AI in Hot Wheels feels really badly tuned. On easy they're a complete and total cake walk to the point that you'll basically never see them but if you bump it up to medium they instantly become stupidly hard. The front racers almost never make mistakes while the racers further back are so insanely aggressive they will literally drive themselves off of the track trying to get in your way.

I had played the game rather shortly after its release and noticed this same exact thing. I thought they'd have patched it by now but I guess not. That's too bad

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I've never played a Silent Hill but know the reputation of 2 so I'll get the updated version and probably really enjoy it while being completely oblivious to all the issues nerds complain about regardinghow the original vision has been ruined

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

I have like 5 copies of vice city/san andreas by now and almost as many of GTA V lol gently caress you rockstar release a new game PS5 version of RDR2 already

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

roomtone posted:

re7 is the worst re game (that i've played) (i haven't played 5 or 6)

Agreed. Though I haven't played 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 8. On a related note: re7 is the best re game

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

JBP posted:

The only truly important thing to remember in gow is once you upgrade the axe always use L2+R2 to recall it in battle because it's loving awesome

Getting BOY to stun one of those disappearing witches and then doing a heavy throw > jumping slam recall to finish them off is a fantastic feeling

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Augus posted:

mimir is joy

Brok and Sindri 4 lyfe

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t usually like when people compare art they don’t like in video games to flash animations but this looks so much more like a flash animation than medieval art to me lmao. Other than maybe the shading. I could probably learn to get used to it but at a glance I think it’s hideous

Agreed. It looks fine when I scroll by screenshots on my phone but the moment you stop to look at the characters you notice their extreme early 2000's Newgrounds energy

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Silksong looking pretty good

Nailed it

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Evil West looks cool as Hell and I hope it’s good.

Hell yeah; it looks like the best kind of dumb

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Cross-posting from my other favorite nerd thread (the BSS Action Figure one)

I have a hard time paying ~$100 (pre-shipping) for a 6-inch figure but goddamn is this lovely:

Demon's Souls Fluted Armor by Max Factory. $144.99 on BBTS with an estimated March 2024 release or 13,100 JPY (currently about $96 usd) and an October '23 release from Amiami

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Skill up “strongly recommended” Scorn which was the worst game I played this year. Like, it is legit terrible. Dude has weird tastes.

The visuals in Scorn are so, so good so I happily went through the early areas that barely had anything that counted as actual gameplay. Even so, I gave up and uninstalled it as soon as I reached a point where I couldn't just scoot past the enemies and actually had to engage with the literal worst first-person combat I've ever experienced

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Rinkles posted:

If optional content ends up ruining/diminishing the game for most/many people a handful of vocal goons, than I absolutely think it's a they're the problem, even if because the game didn't force you to do it.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t love everything about Ragnarok’s story - the whole second act hinges on characters not talking to each other and telling each other the truth and “just trust me!” which is among my least favourite ways to manufacture conflict - but almost all of the character arcs were tremendously successful for me

For sure. By the 4th time Kratos and Boy have their "tell me your plan!" "No, it's a seeeecret!" Argumentit really starts to wear thin. Then it happens 4 more times anyway

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Using cool weapons is fun, which, circling back to Horizon, makes the cost of ammo crafting lame. I got this disc throwing weapon but I can’t use it because I don’t have enough ‘blast paste’, which is a material that’s reasonably rare, and a little expensive to just stock up on and is used to make other explosives, like the cool rocket spear. So in the early game I just use the standard bow since it costs 1 wood and 1 money while all the other stuff just sits there.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that very few games ought to have ammo limits at all. Balance the general purpose weapons around clip size and reload times while putting a cooldown on the real heavy hitters. Otherwise it's like, hold up, gotta go down this obvious dead-end and open two drawers so I can shoot the next couple trash enemies with something other than my lovely sidearm (which of course has a uniquely bottomless ammo supply)

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

A lot of these HFW and GOWR posts just give me the impression that a lotta people here are clamoring for games that play like arcade games. Just start up, no cutscenes aside from the bad guy hopping into a helicopter or driving off or something and you're off to the races punching people for 5 hours.

Yeah, Doom 2016 was great.

I tend to skip a lot of cutscenes but it depends on the game. With big AAA games like GOW, TLoU, Spider-Man, etc. I'm definitely down to watch all the cutscenes and play attention to what's going on. And there are plenty of games where I've started out that way but then they've gotten too long-winded and I've given up (Death Stranding). But if I'm loading up something like Sniper Elite 5 then I'm there exclusively to blow up Nazi balls and I will skip every bit of exposition possible

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

But also the combat sucks and no amount of reading the manual can change that

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

For what it's worth, I do think Tunic is really good. But I see it as a 7/10 game that would've been a 10/10 if not for the combat

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Costco Meatballs posted:

Long time listener first time caller.

Costco Meatballs posted:

I am not sorry for the derail.

If you have dodge on anything BUT L1 playing Hades, that's just indisputably wrong though.

This is like when you download a PS5 game then load an old PS4 save file and all the trophies just autopop so you get the platinum in 20 seconds. You're gonna fit right in

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

If I want to run back through Cyberpunk and become the ultimate brain melting hacker gal, what hardware and perks should I be grabbing first?

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I think Sony is claiming that Microsoft shouldn't be allowed to absorb Activision because Sony has no games of their own and it'd be unfair if the Activision IP's all became Microsoft-owned

Announcing a bunch of new PS5 games would obviously undercut that

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Is there anything different from just getting the ps4 version and upgrading?

Definitely buy the PS4 version and then upgrade. You'll save $10 and there's no other difference

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Count me among the folks that had zero interest on Midnight Suns because of the card aspect. I'll grab it in 18 months when the complete edition is like $30 and even then it's only because a handful people here have said that it's really good

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

To each their own but I found the OlliOlli World controls to be excellent. I'm an old rear end man but there's not a single level in that game that I couldn't get through with one long, uninterrupted combo. It'd often happen during my first pass through a level then I'd go back and replay it a bunch to get all the challenges. It was honestly my GOTY last year, suck it Elden Ring

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Hector Delgado posted:

I've turned off the music in racing games for years now as all I want to hear is the engine and tire sounds.

This but the commentary in Madden/NBA2K. I just want to hear those sexy man grunts

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

its not humanly possible to beat the bear in Olli Olli World

You lose less speed (maybe none at all?) if you time your landings perfectly. You can definitely only afford like one or two non-perfect landings through the whole course though, it's a real strict timer on those levels

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

(Like no lie There is a scene where the protagonist literally sees the plot explained and then a few hours later goes "When he said (spoiler that can't be taken any other way) I didn't realize he meant (spoiler that can't be taken any other way)

As someone merely reading this description of events rather than playing through them myself: this is hilarious lol. Thank you for your sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

this... doesn't seem right? :confused:

A really basic and simple option would be just be:
[metacritic score] minus [time to beat]

Looking at the first 10 games you have listed there you'd end up with the order being:

Sekiro (great game, short ttb)
Dark Souls 2
Nioh
Metal Gear Solid 5
Death Stranding
Bioshock Collection
Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
Persona 5
Mass Effect (long as poo poo)

If you think that's giving too much of a penalty against long games you can multiply the metacritic score by 2 (or 3 or 4, etc ) depending on how you want to weigh score verses ttb.

At score*2 the Witcher 3 jumps ahead of Bioshock in spite of being 33% longer. At 3x it also jumps ahead of Death Stranding and MGS 5 moves ahead of Nioh.

Things get really shaken up if you decide that score should be worth 5x the length penalty:

Witcher 3
Stardew Valley
Sekiro
Persona 5
Nioh
Metal Gear Solid 5
Mass Effect
Death Stranding
Dark Souls 2
Bioshock Collection